Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Was One Kennedy Square a parking lot before « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking in a book called " Detroit Then and Now " which is very outdated but it looked like One Kennedy Square was a parking lot.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there was a parking garage under the park named "Kennedy Square."

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was there before the parking garage but after the old city hall building?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question. City Hall was demolished in the early 60's. I imagine it was an "Illitch-site" (har har har) for a few years before they built the park and garage? I could be wrong.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im pretty sure the only other purpose it served was parkland.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The garage and plaza followed the Demo of the old City Hall immediately. At that time there was a lot of pressure to provide parking in that part of downtown as all the buildings were full. If I am not mistaken it was named Kennedy Square shortly after President Kennedy was elected to office. He held a campaign rally and was one of the first of many to speak there.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe one of the conditions for the construction of the nbd/bankone/chase tower was that the city provide parking for it. thus the demolition of city hall for the underground parking garage. it also facilitated the construction of the 1001 woodward building (replacing the majestic building) 2 years later.

i seem to remember that the namesake is not only for JFK, but for bobby as well. i believe he campaigned in detroit at this spot as well. i can't find anything to verify that, tho.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a plan of the Old City Hall Park in 1963.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3809
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After City Hall was torn down [pity] it was rebuilt as Kennedy Square, although I believe it was renamed so after the assassination. It was a mostly 1/2 acre paved park with a podium and contained landscaping. While too concrete-ie it was pleasant place to sit and people watch, good for announcements, small political events etc. but nothing compared present Campus Martius which is vast a improvement.

If you look at http://www.detroityes.com/webi sodes/2001/10-detroit300/06-de troit300.htm you can see the podium during the park's demolition in 2002 with the Dime Bldg behind.

Rsa

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's a historical photo form the city of detroit's site:
kennedysquare

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 789
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the Kennedy Square fountain feature lasted for no more than a dozen years or so. It became a pretty barren place thereafter.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let's hope the campus martius fountain lasts longer than that...

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never even realized that Kennedy Square had a fountain. I never understood the strange shape of that structure until now. It looked really cool when it was operational.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fountain was emptied the first time in 1970 for the student walk out- Moratorium against the Vietnam war. High schools in the city and suburbs participated, and as some of us found out later, the FBI had photos from every angle and from every building of the participants.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3792
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the lack of understanding of even very recent history of the City explains the really crappy threads started by French777.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9002
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well the lack of understanding of even very recent history of the City explains the really crappy threads started by French777.

Seems he's trying, at least, to catch up. Reading.

Bully. Keep this up, I'm going to charge you storage on that damn turntable.

Part of my fifteen minutes of fame was in the Kennedy Square fountain...Parks & Rec used to sponsor a model sailboat regatta every summer. Each of the park groups built little wooden boats during the summer in anticipation.

I won it in my age group, I think when I was nine...my neighbor across the street won it for the older group. We got two-thirds of the News' back page, although the writer mis-quoted me and spelled my name wrong.

His 'uncle', or dad's best friend, used to run the Brewster Projects Recreation Center...now not a half mile from where I sleep!

Back in 1972, I might've been the only white face in there...I hadn't a clue of the politics of pigmentation. Still don't.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 814
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in Philly last month, I could not get over how wonderful its city hall building was. Kudos to Philly for maintaining that beautiful old building. Shame on Detroit for not doing the same.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to tell exactly, but it looks like the flagpole(s? the right one is cut off) were saved from the original City Hall grounds.

As far as being able to host small gatherings and rallies, Campus Martius is not an improvement from Kennedy Square. It looks more pleasant, though.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5389
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campus Martius is not designed as a civic meeting place like Kennedy Square was. Campus Martius is a lot more Disneyfied. Most importantly, it's privately owned, so it doesn't serve the same purpose.

The old Kennedy Square looked great. And, BTW, Detroit tore down a beautiful city hall, but it still has the historic County Courthouse. Many cities demolished their historic county courthouses long ago, so it's an interesting trade-off when comparing it to other cities.

Rsa

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm, campus martius is not privately owned. it is run by a non-profit corporation, the detroit 300 conservancy.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to followup on what Lmichigan just stated... the surviving 1902 County Building was much larger and much more ornate than the razed 1872 Old City Hall. Still, it was a pity to lose it.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5392
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure I'd call it more ornate, either in its historic or current former, but it is larger, and more physically impressive.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, from the photos I've seen of the interior of old City Hall, it was much plainer than the County Building.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5393
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking about the exterior. Yeah, the Old City Hall, from pictures I've seen, looked incredibly contradictory to the exterior. It really surprised me.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Skulker im 15

I live in Rochester Hills

I don't have a Car

and with no "good" mass Transit how do i get Downtown Exept for Auto Show and Tiger/Red wings games

jeeze cut me some slack

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5244
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, props for 9000 posts. Amazing work.
Give jjaba your email, he'll send you an award as a muilti-level centurian.

Thanks for all the dedication to The Forum.

jjaba on the Westside.

Skulker

Post Number: 3796
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm not gonna cut you some slack, french777. I am gonna ride you to ask smarter questions and to do some research on your own first.

You are 15 and clearly have access to the internet. Don't be lazy. Do the research first and then ask better questions.

If you think I am being an asshole, it means I am doing what's right. This is not a Yahoo game chat room. You need to learn how to step up your game. This is a chance for you to grow. Do with it what you will, but understand everytime you ask a stupid question, you'll get smacked.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5399
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulks, it would have seemed the hiatus you took would have mellowed you out, but you're more curmudgeonly than ever. What happened that put you in such a state of perptual disagreeability?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, the holier than thou post! Welcome back, Skulk!
Just ignore him, French.

Gannon

Post Number: 9006
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, exactly the opposite.

Skulker wouldn't say ANYTHING if he didn't care...about the city, forum, or (for whatever reason) French777.

Y'all just have to learn to listen through and past the Tourette's. I know, it catches ME off guard sometimes too.

Heh.

Cheers!

Skulker

Post Number: 3797
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya'll recall a certain poster that was a high school student and VERY full of himself that used to get slapped around here? Went off to UM?

Yeah, he later posted that being challenged and pushed here was good for him and in retrospect he cringed at his early posts. Part of the learning process.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9361
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Skulker. Keep lighting a fire under their asses.

Skulker

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shut up, you f*&^%$' Canudian...

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wat a mess.... moving right along,

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4346
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says something about us as a people that "niceness" is an acceptable excuse for ignorance but honesty and knowledge are dismissed as impolite.

A half-dozen intelligent misanthropes can change the world, usually for the better. A million well-meaning dim-wits could hardly change light bulbs.

(Message edited by Jelk on April 22, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 9007
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A million well-meaning dim-wits could hardly change light bulbs.

Yes...but oddly that IS what they were told to do for a proper Earthday celebration.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.