Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Question for everyone « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swbaby12345
Username: Swbaby12345

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would greatly appreciate if you all could answer a question for me....I know, a little off topic...but

Do you think a pharmacist is a respectable profession?

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very odd question...Respectable? Absolutely. Definitely more so than say, pimp or smuggler.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I would say it is. Strange? May I ask why you want to know?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You defined the topic so how could it be off topic?

Why would you ask such a question anyway?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does this have to do with Detroit?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is an even better question!

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as the pharmacy isn't the illegal kind that is run out of a person's residence or his/her automobile, I don't see why it wouldn't be respectable. Okay now why do you ask?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything in the medical field is respectable. Like any business, so long as the careersman is professional and legitimate.

The medical sector of the economy is going to grow. There, that's the Detroit connection. :-)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 494
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anything in the medical field is respectable.

so long as you don't extend that to medical insurance, i agree. i hate those bastards (going through some serious problems now with them...)

pharmacists are generally considered one of the most trusted professions, and consistently rank at or near the top for honesty and ethics.
http://www.pennanurses.org/new s/2005/Nurses%20Top%20List%20f or%20Honesty.html
(article focuses on nurses, but includes full list)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many family members in this profession...I hope its respectable.

You go to college for 4-6 years, have a license, are well paid...i'd say its respectable.

random.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is, I took all of the pre pharmacy classes and then missed getting in by one person. I have a family, so I had to switch and now I'm teaching. I haven't decided if I will go back and try again once I have my money reserves built back up, but right now it is nice to be on the same schedule as my kids.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My company runs computer systems for many independent pharmacies in Michigan and in Detroit. I have worked with pharmacists for 20 years. I can tell you without a doubt its a respectable profession. However I can also say its not an easy profession, there are long hours on your feet. Working a busy pharmacy is non stop action and a lot of irritated customers.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in Michigan AND Detroit? WOW, that's a lot of territory!

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a pharmacist and and now am lawyer - boy did my respectability plummet!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move this thread

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Including Detroit. Is that better Crew.
Detroit stands out, every Pharmacy is like a fortress. A couple of weekends ago in the New Center area some thieves broke into a pharmacy buy cutting a hole in the wall of the building. Nobody heard a thing.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8990
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if the pharmacy is the illegal kind that is run out of a person's residence or his/her automobile.

Even better if you only deal with holistic, non-man-made products.

You could turn traditional pharmacy into a respectable profession IF you continually encourage those whose prescriptions you fill to find a natural remedy instead and go back to the old style of medicine.

Yanno, where they said to eat right, get lots of sleep, drink 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day, avoid stress, and all that happy shit that nearly nobody listens to anymore.

Pill-Power! Push it.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the pharmacists fault, it's the doctors fault. Think about it.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the doctors fault, it's the patients. Think about THAT.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen some freelance pharmaceutical distributors working on the street corner at night. I don't think most of the neighbors respect them, though. ;)

Swbaby12345

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to get a census at to what people's general idea of pharmacy is. I am in pharmacy school at wayne state currently, so of course I was curious. I hear that within the city limits of Detroit that the drug stores do not carry class 2 drugs. True???

Thanks for those of you who took the time to answer honestly.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 475
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schedule II drugs:

Findings required:

(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions.
(C) Abuse of the drug or other substances may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.

These drugs are only available by prescription, and distribution is carefully controlled and monitored by the DEA. Oral prescriptions are allowed, except that the prescription is limited to 30 doses, although exceptions are made for cancer patients, burn victims, etc. No refills are allowed. Also, Schedule II drugs are subject to production quotas set by the DEA.

Drugs on this schedule include

* Cocaine (used as a topical anaesthetic);

* Methylphenidate (Ritalin);

* Morphine;

* Phencyclidine (PCP);

* Most pure opioid agonists: meperidine, fentanyl, hydromorphone, opium, oxycodone (main ingredient in Percocet and OxyContin), or oxymorphone;

* Short-acting barbiturates, such as secobarbital;

* Amphetamines were originally placed in Schedule III, but was moved to Schedule II in 1971. Injectable methamphetamine has always been in Schedule II;

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of a silly question when you think of it. All professions are respectable as long as they are within the law. Someone goes to work and earns a living doing it legally, what is not respectable about that? But, I agree with the above. Why is this not in the non-Deroit category??

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are at Wayne State just make sure you have all A's for your pre pharmacy classes. They will tell you don't need them, but you do. Also make sure you take the classes you need to apply at Ferris too. I had a B+ average and didn't even get close to getting into Wayne and I missed Ferris by 1 person. They took 135 students at that time and I was 183 on the wait list. It made it to 182. That was a bummer.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, with all that education, you may want to try employment at your local DPW. Strong back, weak mind...oh wait, I got that right?

Swbaby12345

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis- What year did you apply? That's too bad you were only 1 person away, but you never know what the future holds.

I am just about done now...I'll be a licensed drug dealer in may 08!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.