Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » One for the gay folks (drag queens of detroit) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, heres a good question.(this is just for fun) Who do you guys think were the premier queens in Detroit. (Nashville sucks for drag; nothing like old school)

I started this thread to see what names would pop up. Actually my ex was kinda a prominent queen in the early 80's. I wont throw his name out here just yet. I want to see if anyone thinks of him. My best friend though was Fran Jefferies. Anyone remember Fran?

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatsisname?.....Mildred Gaddis?

Exmotowner

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL You mean Gladys G. Rivers that used to work for BOOKIES? Gladys was a great friend! I remember Gary very fondly. Boulevard Blanch bought Bookies and turned it into the Pink Flamingo. Still a nice bar at that time.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, I think he meant Mildred Gaddis.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 630
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! That was wrong.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im so sorry Farrer I'd just never heard of Mildred Gaddis? I was just laughing because Gary (Gladys G. Rivers) was a good friend. I haddn't thought of Gladys in a very long time. Thanks for at least giving me fond memories of him! Sorry I laughed. :-(

When was Mildred around? I was around the queens in the late 70's early 80's.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mildredgaddis.com/M GInfo1.htm

Iheartthed

Post Number: 631
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mildred Gaddis is a local radio talk show personality.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH thats why I've never heard of her. What does she have to do with the drag queens of detroit?

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeeDee Goddamn Sharpe from the Gold Dollar...??

Iheartthed

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think someone was implying that she looks like one.

Sid
Username: Sid

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only know drag queens from the last 10 years or so:

Nikki Stevens (Her mom runs the snack and jewelry stand during her performances how cool is that?)
Trixxxie Deluxxx (big time performer)
DeAngelo Show Shannon (looks like a real woman)
Serena Escovelle (too cool for school - moved to NYC)
Cellophane (sometime performer but wore body suits and roller skates)

If itsjeff were still with us, this thread would have a shizit more posts.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"DeeDee Goddamn Sharpe from the Gold Dollar...??"

ROFLAO!!! (IVE ALMOST HURT MYSELF)! Blondy! That was a blast from the past and You SURE got the name right. She was a crazy one. Remember that snake? (Oh you know Dee Dee, you know the snake!!) LOL My ex was in a show with her at GiGi's one night and she was smacking the hell out of that bag (pillow case) she kept it in. I asked DeeDee what the hell you doing? her reply was "GIRRRRLLLL it has to bite me on stage you know them kids go wild for the blood" I just laughed but my thoughts were "OK YOUR A FREAK"! (I was right)LOL
Dee Dee was always nice to me. Gosh is she still kicking? would like to hear about these people and how their doing. It was my life for so many years. I have some stories to tell here in TN too, but of course they think Im making this stuff up, but you cant make this up! How can you make up a DEE DEE SHARP or a LADY T TEMPEST, VONDA LEE, or .(you get my drift) :-)

If anyone has any ideas or contacts with the people I would like to know if they are alive and how their doing. Lady T Tempest was one of my best friends. The last I heard he had quit doing drag and was working in a resturant.

I do remember Cellophane. He was around when my partner was doing drag. I do have a good friend that I have lost track, Lady Denise? Anyone?

I've been in TN for about 13 years and just this last year weve lost touch. I have her adress and will be knocking on her door when I get up there.

well thanks for all the laughs and memories so far. Hey blondy, you remember Bombshell Billie?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie, aka Tom, former owner of Jam Rag in Ferndale.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Trixxxie Deluxxx (big time performer)"

I remember her, was she on a morning radio talk show?
I want to say 93.1

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The names Jennifer Foxx and Christina Collins come to mind. And of course I remember Lady T Tempest.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, closest answer I offer....there was the Jewel Box Revue which performed at the Flame Show Bar...they were female impersonators...does that count? They were not FROM Det but worked here regularly.
I was told The Frontenac on Monroe was the first club in Det to feature female impersonators. Started in the 30's.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always heard of Mildred Gaddis but I didn't know she/he was a man?

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the 70's, Chili Pepper, Trisha Trash/ did Bette Midler before anybody, Tiffany Middlesex, and Boulevard Blanche. They were all talented performers.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If ever there was a thread that needed pictures this is it.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wayne/jayne County

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Lordy, the Lady T Tempest. Great story about her.

I was newly living back in Michigan, and going to Cafe Zola in Ann Arbor every day for coffee. This is back in like 96. They used to do only breakfast, lunch and cafe in the night.

Crepes were a specialty, and the person making them would do it behind a window into the kitchen area, near the cash register. There was this one woman who would make them all the time, she was a little odd looking, but I was adjusting back to life in Michigan and figured it was just a weird Michigan woman look.

Well I sure figured wrong. My old boyfriend and I went to Gigi's one night and ran into the owners and half the staff of Zola. I almost fell out of my seat when the crepe lady walked out on stage! I mean shit, I thought I knew a tranny, but the Lady T looked like just another funny looking Washtenaw County middle-aged woman to me for a full year!

She moved on after that, performed in a few shows at Gigi's I saw ("meet me in St. Louis!"), and has been MIA for a while.

Only other old skool queen from the 80's I know now is the former Miss Gay Michigan Toni Page, an old boyfriend from '91 (I didn't know about the Miss part at the time) and currently one of my best girlfriends.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chili Pepper out of all of them probably made the best living at it. Although Jennifer Foxx Im sure does ok. Hes still performing isnt he. Also April Summers is still performing also right?

"If ever there was a thread that needed pictures this is it". Rjk Your right on that! Sorry I dont have any that I could post. Hopefully someone will. Gosh there were so many through the years. Elaine St. Jaques, Ashley Chambers, Fantasia (miss connie to her friends).

Who had the best clothes? I vote Ashley Chambers and Fantasia. Those queens had some drags now! Ashleys girlfriend Chris made sure she had beautiful gowns! Best entertainer? Whew. Foxx? Fran Jefferies? Lady T? Vonda? Elaine?

Exmotowner

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe they were doing drag in Detroit in the 30's. Thats amazing. I know the history of drag goes way farther back than that and yes Jimg we are definitely talking about female impersonators.

What are some of the oldest gay bars in Detroit? I think the Palae' was the first???? Correct me if Im wrong. I know the Woodward has been around forever too.

What are some of your favorite performances/numbers you can remember? Fran Jeffries doing Dreaming has to be one. Elaine St. Jaques doing I who have nothing has to be a favorite. Vonda Lee and Lady T doing You came a long way from St. Louis! Vanessa LaSalle doing Lucy has to be up there too! What others?????

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sid! You're still around! Good to see you pop up! :-) Shoot me an email at denverguy81 at yahoo dot com. :-)

Sid

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lurker here brother Matt. Just ain't talkie. I was really buzzed yesterday so I posted.

I don't know if I want to email you if you are living in denver. That means my peepee won't get in your tooshie.

touche'

no, I said tooshie.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sid, you need to post gems like that more often :-)

Sid

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

long time no talk. maybe I'll see you bitches at the picnic. there's no misses sid anymore, so the title's for the taking.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sid, are you from Windsor? There was a Sid that used to come help out one of the Windsor queens. Just wondering if you are him?

Exmotowner

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone got any good old pics of some of the queens?

Sid

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check the bar sites....malebox, gigis, and check myspace for pics. no, i am not that sid. I am younger and prettier. not that I know your sid.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Your probably right Sid! and didnt even realize gigi's had a site. I'll go look right now.

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One correction, Sid. Serena's in Dallas. My brother keeps in touch with her alter ego.

And yes, Club_boss, Trixxxie did the 93.1 WDRQ morning show in the mid- to late-90s. Those were the days. [sigh]

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Townpump a gay bar for many years ??

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer Foxx, Miss Gay America 1982, one of the highest honors a female impersonator can achieve, as well as somewhat of a "drag mother" to me, is still performing on a regular basis every Saturday night at Gi-Gi's and Sunday nights at Menjo's.

Chili Pepper is also one of the house cast members at The Baton Show Lounge in Chicago:

http://www.myspace.com/thebato nshowlounge

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit 1973, The Roostertail is hosting the Halloween drag ball. Chili Pepper looks like she just walked off the pages of Vogue magazine, beautiful gown and a full length lynx coat. She does not like who the judges have picked as the winner!! She shouts "IT'S A Fix". All stereotypes of gay men vanish, as fists are raised and used to connect to there targets. Sequins, wigs and chiffon are now flying as they get into a brawl. Boulevard Blanche is one of the emcees and is furious that some "ugly queen" has ripped her 500. gown. (that was big money in 73). Meanwhile, "The Winner" is parading up and down the runway like nothing is happening. That was a terrific night!!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D2dyeah, I came out in 78 so I was around for a while, I never heard that story! LOL Thats Hillarious! I would have given anything to see the look on Blanches face! LOL I knew Blanche when she owned the Pink Flamingo. She never mentioned it! LOL Im sure I've had to have heard it but you know I've got CRS real bad!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey...what is this bar I just noticed the other day where Times Square used to be? Is it gay?

d

(Message edited by quinn on April 19, 2007)

Quinn

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on you guys...what is this bar? I guess I could drag my but over there, but it's just so easy this way and I know ONE OF YOU out there knows what this place is...

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that used to be Times Square. I've been there 3-4 years ago, but I think it is now closed. I do not know if it has reopened with another name.

http://www.detroitclubscene.co m/gallery/index.php?cat=11

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey...what is this bar I just noticed the other day where Times Square used to be? Is it gay?

I bet supergay knows that place. Check out his blog Quinn: http://supergaydetroit.com/

Quinn

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PENIS POWER! Awesome blog. That woman's accent slips from inner-city slang to valley girl, especially when she says "predator mode." Awesome!

Ya I know it used to be Times Square. I don't see anything on super gay. Hey, I'm going to go over later this afternoon and figure it out. If I find out it's a gay bar, do I get an award or something? Or am I know considered super gay? Could this be the beginning of our long-requested "gay ghetto" area? Hmmmmmm...trolley plaza look out!

Quozl

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn wrote:
quote:

Or am I now considered super gay?

I do not know about that Quinn. Supergay is Mr. Clean in disguise:

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Times Square is the new something else, and what that something is NOT is a gay bar. Save yourself the trouble Quinn!

That one'll make the Supergay Fabulous Gay Bar Ruins of Detroit tour!

Quozl

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay, glad to see you showed up to address this very important subject. I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to assist Quinn in his query, considering your expertise and all.

Later dude.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if Blanch is still kickin? What about Melba Moore or Fantasia? they still around?

Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "Anyone know if Blanch is still kickin? What about Melba Moore or Fantasia? they still around?"

Sadly, Melba Moore passed away a few years ago. Not sure of the exact date. A couple of my friends would know.
Fantasia is still performing around town and on the pageantry circuit.
Not sure about Blanch (before my time) but I was just talking to Nikki Stevens the other night and she mentioned her.
Another name I'd like to throw out there is Angel D'More. Anyone remember her??

Exmotowner

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks and Sorry to hear about Melba. :-( She was a hoot and one hell of a little performer. Damn that girl could dance! Glad to hear Miss Connie (Fantasia)is still around. Thats great. and yes I do remember Angel D'More. My ex and him were best friends right when they were coming out. Angel is a sweetie. I think Rita Porter and Angel still keep pretty close. I will be stoping in the Gold Coast when Im up there and saying hi to Rita! I met Rita shortly after coming out. Greg whitehair (Connie White)from the Gas Station sent me down to meet Rita with a twinkie and a note. I cant remember what the note said but I remember it was funny. Rita and I have been friends ever since.

Belbell777
Username: Belbell777

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tempest is doing great,not performing any more.Connie is still in the scene.Elaine,melba,fran,monequ e,vanessa,are passed away

Camp
Username: Camp

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Tumbles? He performed at Tiffanys also worked the door there

Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel (Danny) and Rita do still keep in touch. Angel owns The Rainbow Room, I work there Wed nites helping at the door. I met Rita probably 20 years ago when I was going to Todd's. Angel used to work there too.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

deadofnight you probably know my ex, Jennie Maxwell. So you probably know me also.

Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, not sure. Surprisingly, I don't know too many people! LOL! You may also know one of my best friends, Mike (aka Sophie). He also works at The Rainbow Room on Wed nites at the door and he used to also work at Off Broadway. He, Angel and Rita are all pretty close friends.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only Sophie I know is Paul that runs GiGi's. We always called him sophie. I havent been back home in about 10 years. Im coming back Memorial day for the first time in a long time! Will be great to come home although my partner is dreading it. We almost broke up over his coming with me. Hes scared to death of Detroit. You never hear anything good about it for sure and one of the sites he looked at said "there is no reason whatsoever for a gay man to go to Detroit, its had its heyday and its over". That sure didnt help in persuading him. If he just absolutely hates it, I wont make him come back.

Detroit has bit me in the Ass on numerous occasions (thats why we left. I just hope its kinder since we will be on vacation.

Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner - I know Paul from GiGi's, different "Sophie" though. LOL! After talking to my friend this afternoon I do in fact know who Blanch is but haven't seen him in years. He used to be at the Rainbow Room EVERY Sunday night when Jennifer Foxx was show director there and hosting "The Rainbow Revue". The name just didn't click with me at the time! I'll definitely be seeing Angel, though this Wed nite.

Marielavoix
Username: Marielavoix

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old "Former" Detroit "TODD's Lounge" drag queen here ~ Ms. Marie LaVoix - Performed with Mama Vonda Lee - Lee Sands, Whitney Blake, Lady T when she was Miss Tempest! GiGi's, Bookies, Gold Coast - SHOUT OUT to Rita (Dennis) Porter!! Now living in Fort Lauderdale Florida, and get to Detroit every few years! If anyone remembers this old girl - Give a shout out!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: