Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » 2007 Indian Village Home and Garden Tour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

d

2007 Indian Village Home and Garden Tour ADVANCE DAY TICKETS ON SALE

Thought this might interest you guys. The 2007 Tour will have 9 homes on tour, along with the art lot and historic cars parked in various spots on the street. It's a fun and affordable way to learn about Detroit history.

Proceeds from tickets support IVA groups, like the garden clubs, to maintain the public spaces of the village. You can now buy advance day tour tickets online and find out more information here: http://www.historicindianvillage.org/homeandgardentour.html

From the website:

The Historic Indian Village Home and Garden Tour is celebrating the 111th anniversary of our elegant, historic neighborhood. This is the tour’s 34th year. It is the second oldest tour of its kind in Michigan, preceded only by the Marshall Michigan Historic Home Tour.

In the mid 1950s, the Women’s Garden Club held many events in Indian Village. Their Garden Fair was a precursor to the current tour, which began its run in the 1960s and became an annual event in 1973. It is now sponsored by the Historic Indian Village Association (HIVA), the Indian Village Women’s Garden Club and the Indian Village Men’s Garden Club.

Today, the Indian Village community consists of 352 households, plus six churches and four elementary and two nursery schools. This historic district includes Burns, Iroquois and Seminole Avenues from East Jefferson running one mile north to Mack Avenue.

Although there are features on many homes that fall into a distinct architectural style, Indian Village can best be described as eclectic. As is so typical of American independence, owners chose elements from different architectural styles when building their homes. Detroit’s most distinguished architects designed Indian Village homes. Among them are Marcus Burrowes, Chittenden & Kotting, Albert Kahn, Louis Kamper, Rogers & MacFarlane, Smith Hinchman & Grylls, William B. Stratton, Leonard B. Willeke, George D. Mason, Robert O. Derrick and C. Howard Crane.

2007 Sneak Peak Preview (sample of some homes on tour):

d

1771 Seminole
Architect: Chittenden & Kotting
Style: Greek Revival
This impressive home is the largest residence in Historic Indian Village.
Tour Type: Home & Garden

d

2505 Iroquois
Architect: Leonard B. Willeke
Style: Arts & Crafts - Prairie Style
The home is rich and warm with finely crafted wood appointments and the generous use of Pewabic tile.

s

1763 Iroquois
Architect: MacFarlane, Maul & Lentz
Style: Adam
Locally referred to as a seven-window Georgian, this large home is actually Adam style, a later evolution of the Georgian period.

r

1446 Seminole
Architect: Stratton & Baldwin
Style: Georgian
The soft pastel stucco exterior is reminiscent of colors found in frigid St. Petersburg, Russia.
Tour Type: Home

d

3439 Iroquois
Architect: Unknown
Style: American Arts & Crafts
Everything found in a larger home is here, but is crafted in comfortable, more petite proportions.
Tour Type: Home

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How I wish I was there to take the tour!

I'm glad to see the 1771 Seminole house on the tour. If my thinking is correct, when I lived in WV in the early 80's that house was a bit shabby. How is it now?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4242
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does IV do with the $$ they make off these tours?

Quinn

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't speak from authority, but I know the tour is run by the Men's and Women's garden clubs, and they pay for new tree plantings on berms as well as maintenance (yearly) on berm trees, as well as upkeep for the centennial garden. I could be mistaken, but I think they do give some to the association to use for events and community things.

Oh...that's another thing that's on the tour, you can walk through the centennial garden while on the tour (it's usually locked and accessible to the association members).

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet! I can make this. It doesn't conflict with the Orphan car show that Sunday either.

Quinn, are you affiliated with the Lamda Classic Car Club? They have a big turnout at the Orphan Car show.

Quinn

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not but the tour may be? I don't know of any association with them, but if we could get them involved and make it a car show too that would be awesome.

There are a number of residents who pull their collectible cars out for everyone to look at during the tour, so do come on down.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my tickets.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lamda Classic Car Club is for gay guys with antique cars. All though I'm not, my tastes in old cars is more in line with what's in thier club. I get sick of going to cruise ins and seeing GTOs and Camaro's. I like the distinctive old cars, like grand old Imperials, or Buick deuce and a quarters. They have their own show sometime in the summer I'd like to attend it.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skuntson --

1771 is immaculate. The Muehlberg's (sp) sold it in the late 90's - after working on it for over a decade.

If I recall, I think they moved in in 1981 -- and I know they paid under 6 figures for it.

When they sold, I think it was the first million$ sale in IV.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: