Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Recycle Detroit:paradise Valley and Earthday Observance « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recycle Detroit will be hosting a cleanup this Saturday, April 21, 2007 at Cass Park and surrounding properties. I know some of you are already familiar with the event and are volunteering with us. Thanks for your support. Below is a list of the events. Email Christina at ah9191@wayne.edu if you would like more information. We have all the proper permits.

9:00 am - 11:00 am Beautification Project

* "Urban Renewal" of park:
o trash removal of immediate and surrounding areas.

11:00 am - 1:00 pm Spring Cleaning!

* Organizations network with the community to promote sustainability initiatives.Nonprofits will have tables set up.
* Musicians recreate Paradise Valley.
* Hybrid bus tours of the city provided by State Representative Gabe Leland and Freedom From Oil Coalition.
* Building With Books youth volunteers teach Detroit communities "Recycle 101."

1:00 pm - 2:30 pm Main Stage Events

* A "Fashion Collection" will be performed by Cass Tech High School Fashion Club, introducing Recycle Detroit's new color-coded recycling collection system.
* Creative Center of Studies students will be featuring their recycled jean project on the runway.
* Founder of Detroit Summer and long time activist Grace Lee Boggs will talk about Paradise Valley

2:30 pm - 4:00 Parade Finale

* Prepare to "Leave No Trace" and gather to start the parade route.
* volunteers will march up Second Avenue collecting commodities and bringing color, music, and high spirits to Wayne State University in celebration of National Earth Day.

4:00-5:00 pm Wayne State University: Keasts Common

Speaker Line Up:

* Dr. Irvin Reid, President of WSU
* First Lady Carilta Kilpatrick

Links to our flyer:
http://www.recycledetroit.com/ images/flyer2/part1.jpg
http://www.recycledetroit.com/ images/flyer2/part2.jpg

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does cleaning Cass Park have to do with Paradise Valley?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleaning is cleaning darn it! Heck, let's have a day where everyone cleans Downtown SPOTLESS. It's a start. Even the blue collar workers can prevent from littering and pick up useless littering. The old saying is, Cleanliness puts you closer to Godliness.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of Recycle Detroit's purpose is education. We learned that a large percentage of our teenage volunteers do not know about the history of Paradise Valley and Black Bottom. (On a personal note:I am also learning a lot of adults in this city are unaware of Paradise Valley.)

As Detroit changes, it is important to remember the past. Neighborhoods should not be destroyed in the name of revitalization. We thought the cleanup would be a good time to have some storytelling about Paradise Valley.

There is also a historical link with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and its location in the Masonic Temple in the 1940s and the Paradise Theater. I am not as familiar about this but feel free to come down and I believe Sarah Kubik maybe able to explain it better.If you can't make the event, stop by the recycling collection on a Wed or Sat after the event.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great that you're encouraging young people to becomje more familiar with the city's history. I wish more people did that. I also wish Paradise Valley had something to do with the Paradise Theatre, which wasn't in Paradise Valley. I also wish Paradise Valley had some relevance to Cass Park. But, whatevs ...

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroitnerd

That's great that you're encouraging young people to becomje more familiar with the city's history. I wish more people did that. I also wish Paradise Valley had something to do with the Paradise Theatre, which wasn't in Paradise Valley. I also wish Paradise Valley had some relevance to Cass Park. But, whatevs ...

That's what i'm talking about!!!!! Hope you teach the kids where Paradise Valley was in relation to Cass Park.

I fully support the cleanup and will be there if the work schedule allows.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your support of our event. Of course we will explain Paradise Valley was not in Cass Park. Grace Boggs will actually be speaking in Cass Park about Paradise Valley and Anita Denard, who grew up in Black Bottom and spent time in Paradise Valley will be speaking at WSU at 4pm.
Even if you cannot make the cleanup, feel free to join the event at any time. That is why I posted the schedule. I apologize that you all will not hear Carlita Kilpatrick speak. She is no longer able to attend but Anita Denard's talk should be very interesting.

Honestly, with what we the volunteers at Recycle Detroit, Building with Books, Detroit Synergy, Back Alley Bikes, and many other nonprofits are pulling off with almost zero funds, I think we are doing phenomenal. I want to thank all the local businesses, property owners,veterans,neighborhood churches, Masons, neighbors, schools,local papers, WSU, nonprofits, police officers, and the City of Detroit who have been supportive. I unfortunately do not have the energy to type them all at this point due to exhaustion. Besides, this isn't the appropriate place to show them our appreciation.

The Community has really pulled this event together. We volunteers at Recycle Detroit have spent many hours coordinating but we could never have done this alone. Many neighbors are helping with the cleanup and others are assisting us with holding the fort down at the collection.

Youth linked with higher ed,
Youth linked with education,
Youth having lunch with the Veterans,
Youth learning leadership skills,
History lesson,
Nonprofit networking,
Youth connecting with activist community,
Youth teaching sustainability,
and of course,
the south side of the Cass Corridor getting a little T L C.

I hope if you come, you enjoy the experience and are patient with us if not everything is perfect. It has been a fascinating learning opportunity for all of us.

If not, we will see you at the collection.

Auspower
Username: Auspower

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. I have a business in Downtown and currently am not allowed a dumpster because of city ordinances. I currently cart my trash to the landfill and pay for it accordingly. I would like to start recycling. We have tons of cardboard, bottles, steel cans etc. I don't mind taking it somewhere to drop it off, or are there services that are reasonable in price that will come pick it up. It is all great and grand to say everyone should recycle, but until it becomes easy, or should I say less difficult, as well as cost comparitive to dumping at the landfil it is hard for businesses and people at home to make the change and make a difference in our future.

Thanks for any advice..

Lukabottle

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the time being, goto www.recycledetroit.com. There is a map and a list of what we take and when we are open. Feel free to stop by Saturday and ask for Christina (board member) on Saturday or Wednesday ask for Sarah (Executive Director) and we can give you a tour of the facility.
Shoot me an email and we can discus pickup services. I think you will find them reasonable. We have some things in the works and I rather not discuss them here until they are finalized.

We can definitely lower some of your costs.

Your point about lowering the cost of recycling compared to dumping at the landfill is what we hope to achieve for everyone in the city who chooses to participate.

Christina

Auspower
Username: Auspower

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will definitely check that out. Thanxs for the info. I would also love to take a tour. Prob, next week though.

Looking forward to putting our trash somewhere responsible this year.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: