Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Dennis Kefallinos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3792
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is he? A report on WDIV just said that fire marshall is evicting [no sure if that is the correct term but they have to leave now] all residents from a loft project of his whose name I didn't catch but thought it was called Milwaukee lofts.

As I understand it he also owns:
Boydell Building
Niki's Pizza
Western YMCA
Fort Wayne / American Hotel

Farwell too?

What else?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He co-owns Clark Street Enterprises, according to the Metro Times. That's all I could find on a quick Google Search.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Loco bar as well.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2688
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm told he's one of the top slumlords in the city. Pretty sure he has a Merchant's row storefront and possibly some Capitol Park holdings. He does own Niki's, which I love.

He was born in Greece. Completely self-made immigrant. He lives in Grosse Pointe Farms.

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coaches Corner, Nikis, Locos, Boydell, Bouzouki, Russell Industrial, The Grind, John R Lofts, Milwaukee Lofts...hmm..there's more..He's my boss, ugh.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

russell industrial center unfortunately, which makes him (one of my) landlords.

most of my co-tenants and i hold him in great contempt, but finding space to do what we do at that price is not the easiest thing in world.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 14, 2007)

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, it's not The Grind anymore, it's Bouzouki II.

Funny you should start a thread on this, Lowell. I believe his name came up at the FSC last night.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3345
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of Detroit's top slumlords.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11491
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was in fact talked about during FSC just a few nights ago. While one attendee had nothing bad to say, she was the first person I had ever met who didn't consider him the top slumlord in the city. I've had many friends live in his buildings, none of which had anything good to say.

Glad to hear that the city is finally going after this guy.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I heard on the news last night, it is a 125 unit loft and there was NO fire alarm system. It appeared that work was started on the installation. Lots of conduit and boxes installed but no wires.
A lot of really sloppy workmanship.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww come on folks. If it wasn't for the efforts of Dennis Kefallinos we might have lost several pieces of Detroit's built history. Applause.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was with one of Dennis' employees yesterday when the fire marshal was at the Milwaukee Lofts. It was a really weird feeling looking at the units with the hallway filled with these official looking men in dress blues! I was trying to decide whether I wanted to live there or Universal Lofts. Guess what I decided? ;)

He also owns John R apartments, Harmonie Park Lofts, Brooklyn Lofts, River Park Lofts and a ton of other buildings. The employee of his I was with yesterday pointed out a big abandoned building he had just purchased on Grand Blvd recently.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is their website: http://www.loftplace.com/

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats a website? seems like just a pic!!!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get to watch him oogle my girlfriend everyday as I step out of my rented loft from him. I think this place is pretty sweet, but I don't need much. The elevator in here is a death trap though

Chitaku

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just called s friend she said it was something about a flood at the milwaukee lofts

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our building at Russell Industrial Center had no power on Thursday/Friday!

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which building are you in? i'm in two

btw, i saw a few uhaul trucks outside of the milwaukee lofts this afternoon

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8937
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His brother is the owner of the Detroiter...there apparently is NO love lost between them.

Dennis owns the Shores Inn as well...I've met him while I was doubting my ability to wait any longer for the loft I ended up living in now...and thought him personable enough, but heard how his management team runs the buildings and realized I didn't want to bother with that bs.

Overall, I'd say he is doing what he needs to do to run his empire in the city...this is merely a hiccup for him.

That Milwaukee Park loft is the one Superaygun moved out of in a hurry a few years back...I almost took one of their giant units at the north, until I learned it wouldn't have air conditioning! Plus there were only three washer/dryer sets for almost a hundred units in my part of the building...pretty amazing.

Good luck to all those displaced...they should contact my landlord for a closer space to the CBD.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the lofts and saw some lights on tonight

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he needs help. Apply!! One guy can't do this all alone. I would imagine that he needs advisors as well. Just because a person has money does not mean that he has wisdom.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on April 15, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5797
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dennis Kefallinos HAH!!! I was told The Ghettoman that He the worst slumlord in Detroit. The Ghettoman the Mr. Kefallinos got into little critical debate about the City of Detroit building codes and one of his buildings haven't passed City of Detroit building codes but the other properties he owns passed some city building codes and still up the running.

(Message edited by danny on April 15, 2007)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 373
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in early 1990's I worked at The Shores Inn in SCS on Mack for a short while. My boss was a short, blond, young-ish Greek guy. Is that Dennis? I didn't think that was his name.

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Capitol Park, he owns:

Former Christian Science Reading Room (Now Guardian Security) at Griswold and Grand River

Former Zimco Textiles Building on opposite corner

Red brick building at State and Shelby.

He also owns former Kresge Building at 1201 Woodward

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like he's giving Ms. Huff some real competition.

Gannon

Post Number: 8941
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathi,
I don't know HOW long he's owned the Shores Inn.

That Capital Park listing is interesting...but his listing of existing loft properties alone is longer than twenty, from what I've heard...might be closer to thirty.

I might've gotten that from his right-hand man at the Milwaukee Park lofts when I was close to signing the lease. Cannot remember, but it was from a trusted source.

Man am I glad I chose to live where I'm at now...I'd hate to have to move all of my shit out in a rush this weekend!! I was hours away from making a huge mistake a year and a half ago.

Cheers!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kefallinos has been straddling the historic preservation/slumlord fence for a long time. It's difficult to criticize a guy who has taken so many buildings that are floundering in decay and obsolesence and found ways to make them productive. Most of his buildings are in locations that guarantee that had he not kept them open, they would have been stripped within a month. We would have had a lot more empty demolition list candidates.

But, while he has prevented buildings from being lost, he is no preservationist. The loft spaces of his that I have seen look like they were built out by a drunk in-law uncle who claims to be in the "remodeling" trade. Need a completely new kitchen? You got it, cabinets, counters, flooring and appliances all for $1,999. He has destroyed several facades around the CBD by sandblasting. In several instances, has compounded the sandblasting by cladding the first floor of the buildings with EIFS designs that would make any Florida strip mall owner proud. Also, as has been noted on the forum on occasion, many tenants have had repair or other issues with their Kefallinos units. I'm sure that if the city wanted to, it could wreak occupancy code havoc with all of his buildings.

Apparently he makes money. He's been around a long time and he keeps buying more buildings.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so irritated with Kefallino's Detroit Leasing Center. As I stated before, I was looking into renting a Milwaukee Loft and scrapped that idea on Friday, before the place was condemned. Hours before it was condemned, they were telling me not to let this little problem "discourage me". ha! So I decided to go with a unit at Universal Lofts and had an appointment this morning to sign papers, exchange money, etc. for a May move in. Now they have canceled on me due to the Milwaukee Lofts hullabaloo. I'm not sure why but the property manager just basically said the timing is not good. I suppose I should be thanking my lucky stars not to be involved but I really had my heart set on moving into a Detroit loft. I'm about ready to scrap my plans of moving to Detroit, period. I think I will just stay here in Ann Arbor.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are plenty of other, better options, than Keffalinos. Dont let this discourage you

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 996
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reetz and Gravity, what kind of businesses do you guys have in Russell industrial center?

Reetz12

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are in Building #3, the only tenants left in building number 3. Still without power and no timeframe when it will be fixed.

We are a commercial flooring company and no power means no elevator! Can't get material down to the loading dock.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, this thread needs to go under the Milwaukee Park Lofts thread. I had no idea that this thread was about the lofts. Sure wouldn't know with that title.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mine is less business and more hobby, i do woodworking and designy stuff.

damn reetz, sorry to hear

Gannon

Post Number: 8951
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec,

E-mail me at jfgannon at ix dot netcom dot com (trying to escape the e-bots), you should look into the Eastern Market, if you haven't already.

ModelD's report on a cool loft development on the north end...of which I'm quite familiar!

There are units on the first floor, and a whole bunch of ones almost ready on the second...some really amazing spaces, and as far as I know each month's rent accrues towards a purchase deposit in five years once the Federal Historic Tax Credit time limit on renting expires and they go condo...with a sweetheart deal from the financing bank on the mortgages, a point and a half less than your qualifying rate for living in the same spot for five years! (not a bad plan in THIS real estate market)

Cheers!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4133
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the background info Swingline. Maybe the city has had enough of his half assed attempts at fixing up his buildings, and has decided to play hardball. Either fix them up correctly, or sell them.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I know that is probably true, Spirit, but I am having trouble finding those options. I'm really trying not to be discouraged but I've been searching for months and nothing seems to be going in my favor. My price range really rules out a lot of the nicer loft developments. And I really wanted a loft as opposed to any other type of housing because I am self employed and wanted the space & the natural lighting for photography purposes.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gannon, that's a beautiful building with amazing lofts but out of my price range, unfortunately. Looks like they start at $1,000 per month and I'm looking for something in the $700-900 range (and the higher range needs to include some utilities.)

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3797
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, this thread is about Dennis Kefallinos and his holdings. The roll call is still going on and it is pretty impressive. NBD, but if anything the Milwaukee loft thread / incident should go here as this is the earlier thread.

I think the slumlord moniker is a bit early as it seems that he has developed properties and businesses, albeit it with checkered results, to go along with the ones he is sitting on. It is amazing how little he googles up in view of the size and scope of his holdings.

So here is the roll call. Any additions or corrections?

Boydell Building
Niki's Pizza
Western YMCA
Fort Wayne / American Hotel
Farwell too?
Merchant's row storefront
Loco bar
Coaches Corner
The Grind/Bouzouki II Bouzouki I too?
Milwaukee Lofts
Russell Industrial
John R apartments
Harmonie Park Lofts
River Park Lofts
Shores Inn
Kresge Building at 1201 Woodward
Former Zimco Textiles Building on opposite corner
Red brick building at State and Shelby
Operates via:
Detroit Leasing Center
Clarke Street Enterprise

Gambling_man

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reetz, shoot me your e-mail if you could please.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet that if a crew of prudent handymen went to him and made him a REASONABLE offer, they would be hired immediately. I really think that he just needs GOOD help.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll back up Royce a bit for once and suggest that this thread be renamed to "Dennis Kefallinos and the Milwaukee Park Lofts" or similar. The Milwaukee Park evictions were the big news story that started this thread, and I was looking for a thread on it but didn't find this until just now. (I didn't know who Dennis Kefallinos was.) Subject names are very important. ;)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He also owns
Lafayette Lofts, near main Post Office
Burned out warehouses on Vinewood N. of Toledo

Reetz12

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G-Man - reetz12 at hotmail dot com

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Shores Inn throws off a lot of cash; that place is always jammed.

Gannon

Post Number: 8955
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec,

Take a tour and make the guy an offer, especially IF you won't be around for long enough to buy later. You never know...he's a businessman and needs good people.

The units ARE all sans utilities, though. So only look at the southern and eastern windowed units!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the boydell building is cheap and all you have to pay is electric

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Brooklyn Lofts & Universal Lofts as well.

Okay, Gannon, you've convinced me. Nothing ventured, nothing gained - it's worth a shot! At the very least, I'd just love to take a tour through those lofts. They look really nice!

Chitaku, I looked at the Boydell building but hated the smell of the hallways (I seriously can't take the smell of Greek spices!) and the parking situation. Even though $20 a month to park on the top level of the new parking structure is a great deal, really.

At any rate - I'm under the impression that they are not renting any units in any of the buildings at this time. Perhaps that is because they are trying to make room for the displaced people from the Milwaukee Lofts.

Gannon

Post Number: 8960
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a good catch, hadn't thought of that...there are a great many folks lookin' for a new place to rest their heads. They might also be wondering IF the city is going to start stomping on their other buildings, too.

Have Bob call me when you're going through, I'll try to stick around, but no promises after noon. Tell him no worries, I've cleaned the place up since the last time he was there!

I'm not sure if the second floor artist's unit with the attached bathroom is available or not, that one has one of the greatest views of the skyline...I wanted to get a few neighbors together and rent it together for a social room!

A few of those use that communal bathroom, they will be pretty inexpensive...aimed at artists.

It is an amazingly quiet place to live at night, save for the occasional hazmat call to the boys in red next door.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He also owns The Carey Building on Broadway and Gratiot. It has been under "renovation" for almost 4 years and looks like shit still. It could be a stellar building in the right hands.

Toolbox

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He also owns The Carey Building on Broadway and Gratiot. It has been under "renovation" for almost 4 years and looks like shit. It could be a stellar building in the right hands.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could tell all kinds of horror stories about dealing with him and his people when I lived at Lafayette Lofts. I knew he owned a lot of places, but that list is far bigger than I'd thought. It's hard to boycott an asshole when he owns half the city.

Gambling_man

Post Number: 999
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to clear something up.....Dennis does NOT own the Shores Inn.

Gannon

Post Number: 8987
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks G_m, funny I had that from what I thought was good source. What took you so long?!

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm at Boydell (8years)

Today - Wednesday, I ran into a lady from Milwaukee lofts who warned me of the looming condemnation of my building as well.

Has anyone else in any of his properties heard anything?

later - naturalsister

Chitaku

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no but that would suck

Chitaku

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

honestly if that happens what do you do? I'm shakin in my boots here. I'd hate to have to move all this junk and find a new place

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 8 years worth of living - I have a decent amount of stuff here too.

For some reason, I'm not worried or anxious.

I will keep you all posted if anything develops.

later - naturalsister

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused about the building condemnation thing. I know that the Milwaukee Park Lofts were condemned a few weeks ago and the tenants were given 48 hours to leave. Something like 80% of the residents cleared out that weekend. But according to somebody I know who works for the company, those people merely left because they were in a panic and they never really had to move. They actually lost quite a few tenants at another of their buildings over the next week because of the Milwaukee fiasco. The building is still being rented out - they have a new ad on craigslist this week. How can that be if the building is formally condemned? Maybe you should call Dino (leasing agent) and ask him what is going on. He seems like a straight shooter to me.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buildings get "condemned" when they are found to be structurally unsound and present a danger to occupants and the general public. My third-hand (and probably inaccurate) knowledge of the Milwaukee Lofts situation is that the certificate of occupancy was revoked due to fire safety reasons. E.g., ingress/egress and/or sprinkler violations. Such revocations are issued only after a building owner has ignored civil ordinance infraction tickets that direct an owner to bring a property into compliance with whatever building code has been violated. A revocation of a C/O does not mean that a building has been "condemned."

Who has first hand information about what happened here?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 835
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mid 70's, I briefly bussed tables at the Buhl Cafe/Bar (in the Buhl Building downtown, of course.) There was a Greek waiter there who bore that very name. I wonder if it's the same guy. He should be in his mid-50's. Interesting place to work. The Giacalone family sure liked their garlic toast. Dennis was an easy-going guy, and fun to work with, but he did seem like a potential scumbag.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buhl Bar is where Dennis worked after he came from Greece. I thought he was a dishwasher. Anyway, saved his pennies and lived the American Dream. Niki's was his first venture--opened about 1980. He's a personable guy. His buildings are not all the greatest, but they're also usually cheaper than comparable places. I've been renting at Russell for 2 1/2 years.

Reetz12

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dennis' brother Steve Kourelis the owner of Shores Inn, Great Baraboo, etc. passed away yesterday. Was told the establishments would not be open today because of the funeral.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4971
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for Amy_P

Verifiable
Username: Verifiable

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on public documents recorded 2/28/07 with Wayne County Register of Deeds; one Dennis Keffalinos on 1/05/07 signed over title of property located at 2030 Grand River Ave. W. (Elizabeth Street Lofts) to "West Grand River Lofts LLC" (an entity incorporated on 1/03/07 and 100% controlled by the Ilitch Family's Olympia Development). Ilitch paid Keffalinos $1.73 million for the 0.17 acre lot and the 22,689 square foot "lofts" building.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verifiable: You are a great asset to this forum. Thanks for your input, which I've found valuable.

$1.73 million for the site equates to $234 per sq. ft, which as far as I know is the highest price paid for land in Detroit, ever. That's up there w/ well located land on the Vegas Strip. Hard to believe. (I am shocked that the parties would not conceal the purchase price on a recorded instrument.)

I was on a plane recently and sat next to a guy who works in finance at Wayne State and he told me Dennis K recently either purchased or is going to close on Shapiro Hall by Lafayette Park. That's a pretty decent looking building I think.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4403
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That $234 per sq. ft. will be chump change compared to what Ilitch will end up paying to get the parking lots at 142 W. Elizabeth, 178 W. Columbia and 200 W. Columbia.

These are currently owned by the family of Freda Alibri, the person(s) who sued to get their parking lots back after they were "Eminent Domain'ed" for the new Ballpark when it was still planned for west of the Fox.

Without those 3 parcels, there isn't going to be an arena between Park Ave. and Cass Ave.

Verifiable

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are all most welcome. It's rewarding to see that you have taken the work to another level.

If you spend anytime reviewing public real estate documents you'll see there are often mistakes from misspellings & freudian typos to inconsistencies in primary ownership from agency to agency.

I suspect Ilitch and Keffalinos did not intend for the transactions "consideration" (price paid for the property)to be so readily available to the public but some data entry person somewhere in the pipeline mistakenly input the $1.73 million figure into the public disclosure data base.

Not all that dissimilar to the divorce/custody related documents filed in San Diego County, CA (4th Appellate District) involving David Trepeck and Carole Ilitch Trepeck this past March that were "not to be published in official reports" but are available at various legal data base sites online nevertheless -- apparently in error.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Shapiro Hall, I went by there the other day and there were two cars parked in the loading ramp that aren't usually parked there and there were two older guys raking up yard waste. The 'For Sale' sign now has a SOLD sticker over it as well. It may have always said that, but I was wondering if anyone has any more info. I don't know how to, but I'm sure someone on here knows how to find out if Shapiro Hall was purchased recently and by whom.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 671
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call Wayne State, the previous (?) owner and ask. I'd check w/ the Finance/Treasurer's office. Let us know. Thanks.

Toolbox

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dennis K did purchase Shapiro Hall last week.

Verifiable

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Assembling the Alibri properties might not be all that difficult. It seems they have been forfeited to the Wayne County Treasurer. Collectively there's $83,000+ in delinquent taxes owed.

142 W Elizabeth St, Detroit, MI 48201, Freda Alibri; delinquent taxes owed $52,387.90

171 W Columbia St, Detroit, MI 48201-3403, Freda Alibri; delinquent taxes owed $7,493.72

200 W Columbia St, Detroit, MI 48201,Freda Alibri; delinquent taxes owed $23,223.48

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3867
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean that the three properties are totally forfeited and now owned outright by Wayne County?

Based on what the Grand River property fetched, I would think Alibri would have little problem getting a backer to offset those delinquencies.

I'll second 3WC... great info Verifiable and welcome to the forum.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After the property forfeited, there is a one-year period to redeem back taxes before it is foreclosed. When foreclosed, property is then auctioned off by the Treasurer.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, there was a MI Su. Ct (or, Ct of Appeals) decision a week or so ago that provides other potential avenues of relief to aggrieved taxpayers.

The Alibri family is quite wealthy, and they're sophisticated real estate people. It's hard to believe - inconcievable - that they'd lose a property for non-payment of taxes. Something's wrong w/ this picture.

Toolbox is correct. DK closed on the Shapiro Hall deal 2 weeks ago, and he did sell the Grand River property for $1,750,000; I remember when he purchased that property and I know he paid less than $25,000 for it. The original tenants were techno music folks who lived and recorded in the building. The rich get richer (at least on paper.)

Verifiable

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not an expert at understanding what these tax records mean. Others should review ... but it's certainly a lot more complex than being one year in arrears. Interest and penalties are compounding and several certificates of forfeiture have been issued per property.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: