Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Closed Parishes In Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through April 13, 2007Lmr43 04-13-07  2:34 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it closed and it was Maltese. I believe it began as a place of worship for the Maltese workers at nearby Ford Motor Co. It had an elementary school. For more information, check the invaluable "Archdiocese of Detroit" book by Roman Godzak. Also "The Catholic Church in Detroit" book by the same author.

(Message edited by swiburn on April 13, 2007)

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the book references, I'll have to look at them.

Saulino! That's the name of the street St. Bernadette's was on. My mother had also said that St. Bernadette's had been started as a church used mostly by nearby Ford workers, since she lived not too far away when St. Bernadette's was built. We used to go to Mass there at times when I was in high school (1970's). I can't remember if it still had an elementary school by the early 1970's or not, I don't think so. It was a real small church (by comparison to other Detroit Catholic churches) and quite plain outside and especially inside but hard to beat for friendliness.
Unfortunately my principal, Fr. Ray VanDeveire, who was pastor there, also died in 1994 of cancer.
Many good memories.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Santa Maria only lasted from 1919 to 1973. Did the neighborhood around there (just west of Hamtramck) become rundown like so many other neighborhoods ? I assume by the name the parish was Italian.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, if you want to contact some of the churches you want to visit in advance and arrange for a short photography shoot, you may have better luck. Many are closed/locked at various times due to obvious security issues.

Most if not all of our vintage churches are very proud of them, as well they should be. Just let them know you're from out of town and why you want access and they'll probably be thrilled!

You may also get a little inside information, access or history from your host that would really put a topper on your visit.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another closed parish is St. John de Nepomuk. I attended a parochial school at St. John de Nepomuc in Milwaukee at 38th and Keefe by the A.O. Smith Company--the country's largest auto/truck chassis maker. Both parishes are closed.

Where was the Detroit version?

Larry

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard

Here's St John Nepomucene, that was located at Ash-Lawton http://freepages.genealogy.roo tsweb.com/~detroitchurches/pag e27.htm Don't know if the building is still standing, but the parish existed from 1908 to 1974. We had a church in Chicago by the same name as well.

Larry

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While on the sad subject of what we lost, is anyone old enough to remember religious processions ? We used to have some amazing ones in Chicago. The Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel on July 16. I watched it when I was about 5 yrs old in the 60's. Streets blocked off while old ladies walked barefoot, men carried statues, and all kinds of sodalities marched along. Then there would be a mass, a big dinner, and for the finale, a blowout fireworks show with thousands of people standing shoulder to shoulder in the streets watching.

Then there was the procession at the end of the Novena to St Ann. Mounted police leading marchers down the street in the evening, while windows all along the route were lit with candles.

And finally before my time (I've seen photos) were the huge May crowning processions, in which major thoroughfares were blocked off for hours. Ah those were better times.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in the process of photographing in detail all of the Polish Roman Catholic Churches in Detroit. It is a laborious process taking much time and getting into these churches is a real challenge because of the limited hours they are open now. But, when I finish this labor of love I will give a copy to Orchard Lake for their library for future generations to see these gems from a fastly becoming bygone era. I hope there are others doing this, too. We can't have too many photographs of these grand edifices.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman --

During what years did you and/or your family attend Mother of Consolation?

Swiburn

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry: You asked about Santa Maria Church? I think it was torn down for either urban renewal or an expressway. It was at Rosedale and Cardoni.

Larry

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn

Did that area have a name ? I see on the map it's just West of Hamtramck and South of Highland Park. Seems to be an area I've heard very little about.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last summer when I was doing a job driving around all parts of the city I saw an old Catholic Church in Delray, can't recall the name. It was facing some industrial fence (just a few feet from the entrance) and was closed. It looked like it was truly a beautiful church at one time.

Can anyone name that one or better yet offer pics of the inside?

Larry

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enduro

That's St John Cantius on 844 S Harbaugh St.

Bornthere
Username: Bornthere

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry; regarding churches closed. You mentioned St. Anthony Parish;

It is 5247 Sheridan at Farnsworth. Closest cross streets are E. Grand Blvd and Gratiot.

The church is located North of Gratiot and East of Grand Blvd.

Sad times for this parish. I had a heck of a time finding it and if it was closed.

I would guess that all the former parishioners are gone; either dead or moved far away. My mom went there; lived on Sheridan and went to school at St. Anthony's all her school years.

Bornthere
Username: Bornthere

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell you what is sad. I had a gorgeous picture; 11X14 of the altar at St. Anthony. I had it for years and years, but finally threw it away. I was downsizing; had no place for the picture, no one seemed interested least of all the Diocesese. They don't seem to care.

So now that's gone. My mom and dad were married there, but typical of the times no photos were allowed inside the church.

What a shame no one seems to have taken pictures or maybe they are just lying around in some old memmorabilia.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell if Our Lady of Good Counsel on Rowe Street is still open?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can someone tell if Our Lady of Good Counsel on Rowe Street is still open?"

Good Counsel(6 Mile and Gunston) is apart of a cluster with Our Lady Queen of Heaven(Van Dyke and Outer Drive area) and St. Raymond(8 Mile and Schoenherr). Its just shows how things have changed that Good Counsel barely has anyone these days. In the 1960's they were huge.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad had good friends who lived on Hamburg and Nashville St. and all 5 of their kids went to Our Lady of Good Councel for school. They all ended up going to Bishop Gallagher High School.

Went to church their numerous times as a kid when I stayed over for the weekend.

Thanks for the update Whithorn11446.

Larry

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bornthere. I see on my map that their's a little street called St Anthony Place in that location. Here's a link to a photo http://freepages.genealogy.roo tsweb.com/~detroitchurches/pag e16.htm

On possibly a more positive note, I've heard that St Louis The King has gotten some new members due to Polish immigration to the area.

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THere is a care taker who lives at St. Albertus.
If you do a search of this website for Matt Baka,
you may find his phone number.
Have not been in Albertus in 6 years, but it still looked respectable inside. THey were trying to raise 50 grand for a new furnace.....

The amazing thing is that it, and sweetest heart
were built with literally pennies and nickels that the poles gave, as I've been told.
And they did not spare expense. These people had huge families to feed, yet the churches were a priority. What unity can achieve!
Bless them all.

Swiburn

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, I don't know much about the Santa Maria Church area. I will check in some books. Their elementary school closed in l968.

(Message edited by swiburn on May 07, 2007)

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I was baptized at Our Lady of good Counsel....will ask the parents. Maybe I have interior pictures ??

Larry

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few more locations of closed parishes I was wondering about are

St Catherine
St Agnes
St Thomas The Apostle
St Theresa Of Avila
Holy Name Of Jesus
Resurrection
St Margaret Mary
Visitation

Thanks in advance.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy of Jesus (East side of Van Dyke just south of 6 Mile. I think the side street was Nurenberg

St.Thomas the Apostle was on Townsend in Harper and Van Dyke area. Very close to St. Cyril

St. Catherine I believe that was near E.Forest and Burns but possibly wrong

St. Margaret Mary Lemay St. (E.Warren and French Rd. area)

Visitation I want to say 12th and Grand River area but that is west side.

I will look for some addresses

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some addresses I found

Holy Name of Jesus-13600 Van Dyke. Someone else listed 13400 but that puts it around Van Dyke and Darwin. Holy Name was up further and closer to 6 Mile and the former Ver Hoven Chevrolet Dealer. I mentioned on another thread about former U.S Senator Pat McNamara's funeral mass being held there in 1966 and Lyndon Johnson attended the funeral.

St. Thomas the Apostle-8361 Townsend

St. Margaret-5075 Lemay

St. Agnes-7601 12th or Rosa Parks Blvd, Take your pick

Resurrection-3983 Miller (Just east of Conant) Apparently its now a Mosque

St. Catherine-4151 Seminole. I was off with Forest and Burns guess since it was (further south)closer to Mack and west of Burns

Still not sure on Visitation

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on May 09, 2007)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Catherine Parish on Seminole closed in 1990, but it was "replaced" that same year by SS. Augustine and Monica in the same church building.

Swiburn

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Visitation was at l2th and Webb, or the general area. Maybe that was the convent's or school's location. Fashionable in the l920s

St. Agnes intersection: l2th and LaSalle Gardens-very fashionable area in l914.
St. Theresa of Avila: Quincy and Blaine.

Again, these are the general areas; this might be the school's location, as I posted the l3400 Van Dyke for Holy Name Church. I got that address out of a l950 Detroit phonebook.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 538
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Thomas the Apostle-8361 Townsend

Closed in 1989 and torn down a few years later. Interestingly, the old gym which was originally the first church was torn down just last year. Funny how it survived longer than the "new" church. The old convent is still standing and currently used as a juvie home.

Swiburn

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info on St. Thomas the Apostle.
It's amazing how many churches started out in gymnasiums.
I must have had good luck with the nuns, as my junior high girlfriend and I used to lounge on the convent steps and they would invite us in to watch tv.
No preaching, just good conversation.

Larry

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Whithorn and Swiburn (sounds like a law firm) It's both interesting and saddening marking them on my map. Amazing how close some Detroit parishes were in the Good Ole Days, and now today look how many of the remaining churches have only one mass on Sunday.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right Larry. It is amazing to me that on Canfield, St. Josaphat, Sweetest Heart of Mary and St. Albertus are all within eyeshot of each other. 10 blocks away (give or take) is St. Elizabeth. A few blocks away from that (again almost in eyeshot) is St. Hyacinth. Amazing that so many were so close together.

Swiburn

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I can picture the houses all packed in, all blue collar Catholics and their paying for these huge churches. And then, despite their size, they had to run about 6-7 masses every Sunday!

But things evolve, the children of the immigrants got better education and jobs and wanted more room, so they moved away and founded suburban churches.
That's where the Bishop should have said: "No, we are not going to spend money building new churches when we have perfectly good ones standing." It would also have saved the Diocese a lot of debt, too. But gas and land were cheaper then.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it my imagination or was Detroit once referred to the city of steeples?

Growing up at Guardian Angels and St. Brendan I used to love to visit the older churches (St Matthews and St.Judes)....It was strange when I heard that they, GA and other eastside /Denby feeders closed.

When I first moved to the south I was hard pressed to find Catholic Churches until I moved to San Antonio, and there were some very cool ones....

Larry

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Our Lady Of Guadalupe that closed in 1957, located next to the school of that name on Martin just east of Michigan ?

Swiburn

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most likely it was. The church closed because the Hispanic population was not traveling out toward Michigan Central Station and the church area at that time.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, a belated thanks for that link; I've seen that sketch before...it's not really a photo. Aside from mine, I've seen very few photos of that church at all. I don't know the address, and no one in my family even remembers. I was baptized there in '56, so it must have been torn down sometime after.

Yeah, I've also heard Detroit called The City of Steeples...it was also the City of Trees and the Paris of the West in the 19th Century. Boy, do times change!

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parish on Martin just east (actually south) of Michigan Ave. is Our Lady Queen of Angels.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an item on the news last night about vandals damaging a now-Protestant church at Chene and Medbury. It looked like an old Catholic church. Does anyone know which one it is/was? I was a west-sider.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like St. Stanislaus.

Larry

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1989 was a bad year for parish closings in Detroit. Was their anything significant that happened that year ?

Swiburn

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the church just came to a crisis point with the debt load and Cardinal Szoka(?) just decided to be brave and "clean house." The outrage, of course, was tremendous. But things have settled down and these closings are just regarded as inevitable now.

Larry

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reason was the loss of connection to the parish that most people once had. In any city in America, if you told your neighbors in the 1960's that you were moving to the suburbs, most would have replied that you were lucky. Yet if you had made that same remark in say 1920, many would have frowned and said in disbelief "you're moving away from the church ?".

Maxcarey

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all, there were 26 parishes closed in 1989:

Assumption BVM
Corpus Christi
Epiphany
Holy Ghost
Mother of Consolation
Mother of Our Savior
Our Lady Queen of Hope
Patronage of St. Joseph
Resurrection
St. Agnes
St. Augustine
St. Boniface
St. Brigid
St. Casimir
St. Eugene
St. Ignatius
St. Joachim
St. Lawrence
St. Martin of Tours
St. Monica
St. Philip Neri
St. Rose of Lima
St. Stanislaus
St. Theresa of Avila
St. Thomas the Apostle
Visitation

Swiburn

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Larry: The hierarchy certainly helped things along by building churches in the suburbs as fast as population grew (thereby adding to the debt load.) If they had been a little farsighted, they would have said: "We have churches in the city, use those." But that way of thinking would have been really "avant garde" back then.

Larry

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn

I know what you mean. Back in 2000, after a beautiful relatively old church was torn down in Chicago, a priest I know, wrote to the Archdiocese and suggested a moratorium on church building in the Diocese so long as any old parishes were in danger of closing. Personally if I lived in the suburbs of Detroit I know positively what my parish would be. It'd be St Josaphat's on East Canfield.

Genius
Username: Genius

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“In all, there were 26 parishes closed in 1989:

Assumption BVM
Corpus Christi
Epiphany
Holy Ghost
Mother of Consolation
Mother of Our Savior
Our Lady Queen of Hope
Patronage of St. Joseph
Resurrection
St. Agnes
St. Augustine
St. Boniface
St. Brigid
St. Casimir
St. Eugene
St. Ignatius
St. Joachim
St. Lawrence
St. Martin of Tours
St. Monica
St. Philip Neri
St. Rose of Lima
St. Stanislaus
St. Theresa of Avila
St. Thomas the Apostle
Visitation”

While this list is accurate, it somewhat understates the extent of the closings in the late Szoka era. I have these additions:

1989 St. Benedict the Moor (although the AOD website has 1976 as its closing)
1989 SS. Cyril & Methodius (moved to Sterling Hgts)
1989 St. John Berchman (merged with St. Juliana; not sure of the year)

Also, a few parishes were given a temporary stay of execution:
1990 Holy Name of Jesus
1990 St. Albertus
1990 St. Bernard
1990 St. Catherine
1990 St. David of Wales

Maxcarey

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Szoka era was indeed a dark time. During his time as Archbishop of Detroit 1981-1990 37 total parishes were closed and 28 schools were closed.

Larry

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Our Lady Help Of Christians at Halleck-McDougall also now a Mosque ?

Nowingr
Username: Nowingr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never posted anything so I hope I'm doing this right. I stumbled across this site and noticed where a couple people asked about closed churches in Detroit. Someone mentioned a church at Chene and Medbury and thought it might be St. Stanislaus. It was indeed. And another person mentioned a church at 3983 Miller, just east of Conant that's now a mosque. That was indeed Resurrection. I know because my Mom went to school at Resurrection from 6-8 grade, and went to high school at St. Stanislaus. As a matter of fact she and my father were married at Resurrection in 1950. I've been in both of 'em when they were still Catholic. Resurrection was nice, but St. Stanislaus was very, very beautiful.

Swiburn

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closure of St. David of Wales Church? I never heard of that, but there were also a few churches in Detroit that lasted just a few years, like Emmaus Parish(wherever that was.)

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was St. David on Outer Drive and Rosemary near Gratiot. My dad went to grade school there. Although I have never heard of it refered to as St. David of Wales. Always St. David or David's. The church was not exactly an interior marvel, in fact very plain especially compared to Good Counsel, Grotto, Nativity, St.Matthews, St. Jude. The church briefly merged with St.Ignatius I believe. The writing was on the wall for that place in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Swiburn

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information on St. David's, Whithorn. Actually, I think "the writing on the wall" for most of the Detroit Catholic churches occurred around l950, when the first freeway leading out of town was built.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now I just heard that the church that I grew up with, St. Paschal's in Taylor, is also closing. That and St. Constance, also in Taylor. Let the new round of closings begin! Sad. My church just celebrated their 50th anniversary last year.

Swiburn

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory, I liked Larry's post of May l9th where a Chicago priest suggested no new churches if older churches are in danger of closing. I mean, the Archdiocese always complains about money and then they build new churches. Use the old ones. But they're probably afraid that people won't drive too far to church and won't go at all, i.e. no money given.

Larry

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad when you look at the Archdiocese of Detroit's website and see how many of the remaining Catholic churches in the city are down to just one mass on Sunday. Blessed Sacrament Cathedral only has one ! Hard to believe that 50 years ago some of these churches had 6 masses on Sunday.

Larry

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's a tough question, but does anyone know if any altars, statues, stained glass, etc from some of the more impressive churches torn down, ended up in any other churches, particularly in the suburbs.

Swiburn

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, Yes, the church tries to save what they can. In Roman Godzak's book, "The Catholic Church in Detroit" he mentions that. This book is part of the "Images of America" series by Arcadia Publishing. It sounds like something you'd really enjoy.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the artifacts from St. Boniface by tiger stadium ended up at this resale shope in GA

http://www.kingrichards.com/

Romans books are phenominal. There is another one about the AOD from 2000

-dh

Swiburn

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Roman's books are a must for any student of Detroit's church history, and the church history is part and parcel of the city's history.
I hope they are still in print-check the Arcadia Publishing Website.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies for going off topic for a second, but there appear to be a lot of Catholics on this thread. Just want to let you all know about a new Catholic apostolate in Ferndale, Saint Michael's Media. http://www.catholictelevision. org/

We are a great place for Catholics to gather and just BE Catholic - stop by and be a member of a live studio audience when we tape our television show The One True Faith which airs on Channel 20 here in Detroit (back on the air in the Fall). Or for Saturday movie nights, or just to browse the gift shop and book shop.

Thanks for a quick moment - sorry to go off topic. :-) This is a really fascinating, if not sad, discussion about our disappearing treasures. I'm really enjoying the photos. I belong to Assumption Grotto on Gratiot, and I just treasure our old Church.

~Liza

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first post on the boards. * pop *

A good friend of mine is the music director at Good Counsel. She says it's an interesting mixture of black, white, and Hmong (Vietnamese) in the parish.

And speaking of processions, they had a Corpus Christi procession around the block after mass Sunday. Sorry I missed it - as a 1995 convert to Catholicism, I've never been at a church that did one.

Larry

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news Daf. I was on a procession for the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima, outside St John Cantius in Chicago last month. I was wondering if any parishes in Detroit still had processions.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Bonaventure on Mt. Elliot in Detroit also did on after Sunday mass.

Swiburn

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the l940s-l950s, Detroit hosted the "Marian Week" program. Buses upon buses stopped in front of the Univ. of Detroit with convention goers and there were long parades.
Also, I've seen a picture of tremendous crowds of people in front of Blessed Sacrament Cathedral waiting for Cardinal Mooney's arrival in l937. The Web, tv and probably apathy have eliminated all this sort of action.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cornerstone from St. Rose of Lima church, which was on Kercheval at Beniteau and was torn-down in 1984, is preserved at St. Ambrose in Grosse Pointe Park. It reads: "Ecclesiae Sanctae Rosae MCMXXVII" (Church of St. Rose 1927). It is integrated into a brick wall on the plaza next to St. Ambrose church. The 1919 cornerstone from St. Ambrose School is there, too.

Nowingr
Username: Nowingr

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After the 10:30 Mass at St. Florian's in Hamtramck on June 10th they had a really big Corpus Christi procession. There were probably a couple hundred people. Most of it was in Polish, but there was some English. It was very impressive--they had four altars outside and the procession wound around the block and stopped at each of the altars. Little girls led the way and sprinkled rose petals on the street and everyone was singing and there was lots of bells and incense and people kneeling in the street. Very European. I'm sure they have it every year, weather permitting.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to hear that St. Rose's cornerstone was preserved. It's site is now the playground of a charter school seen here:

http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002398.jpg

http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM002397.jpg

It also sounds consistent with what is on the school cornerstone as well:

http://s138.photobucket.com/al bums/q242/maxcarey/?action=vie w&current=IM000623.jpg

Larry

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few more I was wondering about the locations of.

St Lawrence
Corpus Christi
St Martin of Tours
Epiphany
St Monica
Transfiguration
St Peter (Lithuanian)

Also I was wondering about ethnic parishes that once existed in Detroit. I think I know all or most of the Polish ones, but I was wondering about any that may have been Croatian, Belgian, Dutch, Slovenian. And what were the first Black Catholic parishes in Detroit.

Thanks in advance

Maxcarey

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Lawrence - On Lonyo between Michigan & I94

Corpus Christi - McDougall north of Nevada

St Martin of Tours - On Drexel & Averhill between Jefferson & Detroit River

Epiphany - On Orangelawn & Mendota just west of Grand River

St Monica - On Lyndon & Heyden near Evergreen

Transfiguration - Mound & McNichols area on Simon K street

St Peter (Lithuanian) - Not to sure about this one.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: