Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Brush Park Village North groundbreaking set for April 16th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 873
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Website also updated...I actually didn't know about this one until yesterday...

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/2007/03/hip-city-living.html

http://hipcityliving.com/

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those look pretty nice.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 733
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume the existing houses stay, right? Otherwise, looks good.

Stephenvb
Username: Stephenvb

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the attempt at creating the private common green space at the eastern end is commendable, I think it introduces some difficult site planning problems.

First, I don't agree with sacrificing the attached garage on the largest units (along Erskine) and placing another three units on the alley next to some kind of enclosed parking lot (I guess?) to force the green space.

Second, even the corner unit, the most prominent, doesn't have an attached garage.

Third, why the sudden change in character for the Smith/Johnson unit along John R? The change in character draws even more attention to the site planning issue.

As far as the exterior, the scale and proportion are a little off and the windows are out of character for the neighborhood context. The exterior detailing is a little to basic. It reminds me of a contemporary suburban retirement home with stairs. (sorry)

I like the new development, I just wish Owners/Developers would emphasize competent design as well as they emphasize maximum profits.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 759
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100, it doesn't look like there are any existing homes where they are planning to develop. Take a look at the site plan versus the existing on the Faded Detroit link.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 520
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this was explained in detail on some other thread

the brush park village north project includes only new construction. However, if you have seen brush park recently, you will notice many rehabs with hipcityliving signs plopped in the yards. The HipCiyLiving organization has many projects planned in cluding The Mack along mack and many rehabs...Im sure the insider who clarified it to me will chime in if I've made a mistake

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 735
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might be thinking of a different block. Sorry.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Stephenvb--the layout sucks (although it could be worse). That green space is merely residual--it's not really clear if it's a public space or privately owned. Why not maximize the use of the property? Green space should not be in the middle of a residential block like this. It's incredibly inappropriate to take this sort of suburban approach.

I'm not sure I agree that the lack of an attached garage is a huge issue. Isn't there on-street parking in the area?

Hopefully, the local design community will improve with time and experience in this type of urban residential construction.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been told that the current greenspace on the corner of John R and Watson will be preserved as a neighborhood park.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5772
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those houses look like a mixture of Baltimore and Boston row homes all mixed up into one. But it's nice see Detroit have one of those 21st Century row homes.

Thejesus

Post Number: 929
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

groundbreaking should take place tomorrow if everything is still on schedule

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when is it going to be complete????

Thejesus

Post Number: 933
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if it starts today like it's supposed to, projects like this that start in the spring are usually occupied about one year later, give or take...

of course, that one year can turn into three pretty quickly. see The Ellington

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did this happen?

Bpjeff

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears that the ground has been marked for utilities, but no shovels in the ground yet.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know about shovels, but some heavy equipment has definitely moved dirt around.

Bpjeff

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah - I do not know if that equipment is for the new development or for the repaving of the sidewalk on the east side of John R. In any event, it appears that there are more workers on the site at 11am when I drove by.

Rfrankt
Username: Rfrankt

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excavation for Brush Park Village North has begun today.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5384
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet! It would be great if someone could get pictures of the site.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow cool

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: