Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Hamtramck... A Touch of The Whole World...in America... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 508
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I was born in Hamtown, and remember when it was billed as "A touch of Europe in America", but famously known for it's Polish history.

I recently moved back here, and a more appropriate slogan would be "A touch of the world in Detroit".

I want to start a Hamtramck Super Thread, mixing past and present...Share your stories from today and yester-year.

My Grandpa was a first generation Pole, who grew up on the streets of Hamtramck, and now I, his grandson has come back home to live and walk upon the same streets as he once strolled.

I LOVE this city, I LOVE the fact that many immigrant's still call this city 'THIER HOME'.

I love how I can walk to the market, video store, pharmacy, bakery, and bars. I love how I have been exposed to many different cultures in my hood. The house that I live has folks of Polish decent(me), Arabic, and Albanian. I love the fact that the house next to me has a historic past. Most of all, I love the fact that I HAVE COME HOME,to a city that has a GREAT HISTORIC HISTORY to tell.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How lucky you are to be back in the "old neighborhood"!

My father passed away in November 2005. He went to St. Florian's Church & School in the 1920s & 1930s. Since you live there, I have a question for you.

My mom gave me my dad's prayer book (in Polish, of course!) after he passed away. Inside, he wrote his address, which was on Manhattan Street. Is Manhattan Street still there, or swallowed up by development? I can't seem to find it on Google Maps. I would very much appreciate knowing. Thanks!

Detroitej72

Post Number: 510
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame said:
How lucky you are to be back in the "old neighborhood"!
______________________________ ___________________

I have come back home to die...
quote:
Is Manhattan Street still there, or swallowed up by development?

I will do some reaserch and get back to you soon...

Thanks for the kind words, St. Florian's Steeple is seen outside my living-room window...

I can see it now as I type these words.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame: Here is a link to a street map of Hamtramck as made available by the Hamtramck Chamber of Commerce: http://www.hamtramck.com/hamtr _mp.htm

Manhattan St. is not listed; and nothing shows up on Google.

The Hamtramck Historical Commission might be a starting point for research. There's an email address at the bottom of this page: http://www.hamtramckhistory.or g/

Just yesterday took the Hamtramck Walking Tour offered through the Detroit Historical Society. About 40 of us enjoyed Greg Kowalski's insights into Hamtramck of old and of today. Lunch at the Polish Village Cafe was enjoyable!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 858
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitej72 I live in hamtramck as well on Florian street you must be down the street from me. This is the first time I have ever lived in hamtramck and honestly im enjoying it more than the numerous times ive lived in detroit.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 511
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Steelworker, we're neighbors again! (since we both grew up on Novara)

I live on Yemans and love it here. The town is very friendly and across the street are two great Polish restaraunts, Polish Village Cafe and Polonia.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite Hamtown spots is Cafe 1923. Great coffee house in a nicely restored historic building. Check them out at http://cafe1923.com/

Steelworker

Post Number: 859
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I live around the corner from cafe 1923. I love that place I try often to get my friends in ferndale/oakpark to come over and go there. I love my street its quiet plenty of parking. And my landlord is very good. Plus its cheap and I feel safer than WSU area and all the others ive lived in Detroit.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful, Steelworker: don't imply that Detroit is unsafe or you'll get reamed by a few who believe that Mayberry is just a small version of the City.

Seriously, though, if H-town folk have the means to drive you can get the BEST kielbasa and Pierogis ever (I've been to the old country, so I've had it from the mother-source) at European Sausage on Michigan Ave., almost to Dearborn on the north side. It really is worth the trip.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the demographics of Hamtramck today?

In 1974 I rented a flat on Dorothy St. that abuted the city line with Detroit on the south side of the Hamtramck.

Steelworker

Post Number: 861
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess its still half polish.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8795
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That much? It is quickly becoming a very Middle Eastern oriented enclave but I would also be curious to see the current demographics.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Hamtramck. My family came from North Carolina and my mother settled us in Hamtramck in 1968. I lived on Klinger Street between Carpenter and Commor. We were the only folks on the block (or so it seemed to my young self!) that weren't Polish or Ukranian. We were also not Catholic! The whole Catholic thing was very foreign to me.... I had no idea what this "catechism" that my friends went to meant or what a communion or confirmation was.
We were different due to the my mother's deep south upbringing and her refusal to compromise it. That part was difficult as we got teased a lot for using the southern manners my mother taught us..."yes, Mam, No, Mam". However, I must say that growing up in Hamtramck was a wonderful experience.
Attending Hamtramck High School in the late 70's and early 80's, I had friends of many different cultures. While there were some fights between the African-Americans and the Albanian kids, most of the time we all got along and accepted one another.
When I went to college at MSU, I was amazed to find that many of the girls on my dorm floor had never known a black person and couldn't accept anyone who wasn't "just like them". I realized then that I was fortunate to have been raised in the "melting pot" that Hamtramck was and still is.
I am glad that I was raised around people with a working man's attitude. While I went on to what I suppose is considered a white collar job,(teaching), I still identify with the middle class blue collar mentality. Well, my paycheck certainly puts me there too!
We walked everywhere growing up as money was scarce and we had no car. I remember that "walking up on Campau" was a highlight as a youngster. I loved to go to dime stores like Lendzons and Neisners. I bought records from Federals Department Store and Old Town Records. We went to Oaza bakery for bread, lunch meat and donuts. I bought teen magazines from Sand's Drug Store on the corner of Commor and Campau and from Alexander's Book Shop on Conant. In high school, my friends and I ate at Joey's (which was just like Wendy's!) and at the brand new Little Caesar's. They had tables and a wait staff back then!
When I was really little, I remember going to a movie at the Martha Washington Theatre. I remember when the theatre was torn down and the Citizen reported that the "wall between the theatre and the Martha Washington bakery was going to stay up". Good thing for the bakery I guess!
The school system is Hamtramck went through a lot of changes as I went through them. I started kindergarten at Copernicus and had to leave after first grade since it was decided to make the Copernicus building the new high school. I then went to Kosciuszko Elementary until just after 5th grade started when the middle school concept was started and we were all shipped over to Dickinson so Kosciuszko could house 6th-8th grade as a Middle School. After finishing at Dickinson, I went back to Kosciuszko for that middle school experience and then back to Copernicus (now HHS) for my high school years. Ultimately, I started and finished my schooling in the same building! I played clarinet in the HHS marching band and loved to march in the parades for homecoming and the Polish Day celebrations. My class was also the first to graduate from the new Community Center instead of the old tradition at Keyworth Stadium.
When I went away to college, I wanted to get out of Hamtramck, However, I always enjoyed coming home during my freshman year to the surroundings that were so familiar to me. As I finished school and got married, I saw the city changing a lot. More and more Polish people were moving out and more Middle Eastern people were moving in.
This doesn't bother me at all. After all, the city was founded by one group of immigrants...why not make room for more?
My mother still lives in Hamtramck and I feel good about that. She has always felt safe and is able to go to the stores (and up on Campau!) by herself with little problem. It's too bad that all of the great stores are gone now...I'll always remember the wooden floors and the bulk candy and nut counter at Lendzons.
I am proud that I grew up in Hamtramck! I ended up marrying a schoolmate (who is Polish) and years later converting to Catholicism because I wanted to, not because of the marriage. The Church that was so foreign to me back then has become a place that I embrace with my whole being. I even teach at a Catholic school (did before I converted actually!) and sing in a choir at a Catholic church (St. Matthew on the east side).
While I reside in Lincoln Park, I always go back "home" for some good Polish food, the Hamtramck festival and the best bakeries in the world! I proudly take my son through the city to show him where I lived and went to school and grew up to be the person that I am today. Hamtramck is a very special place and will always be "home" for me!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just love your memories, Tammy!

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two of my friends, Jeff at Record Graveyard and Mike at Detroit Threads, do business in Hamtramck. Both are on Joseph Campau, across from and down the street from Wendy's. I like the area, and visit frequently.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck is fantastic. I live on the north end of town.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Hamtramck completely provide for its own services? From a post above, I can tell that it has its own school system. Does it also have an independent police, fire, and sanitation services? I would guess so, but sometimes different cities will contract with neighboring ones for certain services.

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother is getting too old to make the recipes I was used to growing up Polish...I miss her cooking.

Where are the best spots to get a good Polish sit-down meal in Ham-town? I'd like to try them and compare ;)

I'd love to hear any and all recommendations...

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck still has its own police and fire department. The sanitation services were contracted out during Schimmel's reign.

As for the best Polish sit-down, I personally recommend Polish Village on Yeamans. Although you have Polonia, Under the Eagle and Holbrook Cafe to choose from as well.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sat next to a very kind man flying from Warsaw to Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago. (I live in Frankfurt) He was VERY excited to be continuing on to Detroit to visit his family in Hamtramck and was asking me tons of questions about Detroit. Just thought it was great to see someone so happy to be going back to MY home.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al_t_publican: Per Greg Kowalski, local historian and our tour guide on Saturday, Hamtramck's population is 23% Polish, the largest concentration of any ethnic group in the city. He provided further statistics, but I didn't get to write them down (it was pretty cold walking about on Saturday morning).

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos Campau in the 1950s

Jos Campau 1950s

Jos Campau 1950s

Jos Campau and Evaline

Jos Campau & Evaline 1950s

Keyworth Stadium, during visit from FDR

Keyworth Stadium FDR visit

wsu/vmc

Steelworker

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a side question what is keyworth stadium used for anymore??? I like it and wonder if it will ever be used or used more? Who owns it?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a fantastic home 4 years ago in Hamtramck and I love it. I always get 2 responses when I tell people I live here. One is are you nuts? or they tell me some fond story or memory of time spent here.
Its really a great little town and I can't imagine myself living anywhere else. So if you've never been here or it's been awhile come over and check it out!

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there from 1996-98 at the corner of Pulaski and McKay. The house was huge and inexpensive and the neighborhood had unmatched charm, character and diversity. Plus, Hamtramck has more bars per capita than just about any other town! It was fun, but we did have some security problems, including a break-in in the middle of the night. Yikes. Overall it was a great experience though.

I heard somewhere that Bangladeshi people are now the predominant group of immigrants in Hamtown. Don't know if it's true, though.

Steelworker

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk are you on the street or miss the old bar on norwalk and conant

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just moved from Hamtramck. Definitely a very walkable area..that was my favorite part of it. The people are very friendly..the whole area has that neighborhood feeling to it, and every bar is like Cheers. You are bound to know someone every time you walk into one! :-)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr Dysarz Bldg Campau & Caniff

The Dr Dysarz Building, Jos Campau and Caniff. I think a Cunningham's drugstore was here. The sign on top says "Teodecki _____", can't make out the rest of it. If I remember Dr Dysarz was always running for mayor of Hamtramack, but never got elected to it.

Here's a link listing all of the former mayors:

http://politicalgraveyard.com/geo/MI/ofc/hamtramck.html

Tammypio

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dysarz Building was a Cunningham's Drug Store when I was small....I'd say before 1974. It is now a dollar store (one of many that have taken over Joseph Campau!). Thanks for the great pic!

Tammypio

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Keyworth still used for football games?

Kris

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's still used for football and soccer games.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5141
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures of Plymouths near the heart of the Chrysler nation. But even in Hamtramck, the rebels drove Chevys and Fords.

jjaba's father shopped there alot when he ran the envelope factory, 2460 E. Grand Blvd. corner DuBois, just inside Detroit. He was from Ukraine and loved the European feel of the place. Many many of the merchants were Jews so he could talk to them in Yiddish or Russian. Little jjaba learned to set type and run a printing press there. It was fun going with him on Saturdays.

jjaba.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Under The Eagle Polish restaurant has a great Polish Combination plate. Jjaba Holbrook runs into Oakland Avenue which Im sure you are aware was a Jewish residential and business district until late 30's.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, was there a fee for the Hamtramck Walking Tour? And, if so, how much?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tour was offered by the Detroit Historical Society and so isn't a regular offering as they rotate their tour offerings over a couple years' rotation. This tour was $20 for members; $25 for nonmembers; and included lunch.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any organization that offers Hamtramck walking tours on a regular basis. You might try getting in touch with the Hamtramck Historical Commission. Here's a link to their website; there's an email address at the bottom of the page: http://www.hamtramckhistory.or g/

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker- Keyworth is now used by the Hamtramack public schools for football and other sports. We used to play Hamtramack in football and whenever we scored a touchdown on the end by the rail road tracks we would have to kick the extra point on the other side so the ball would not be lost over the wall. The stadium is kind of falling apart but their turf is in pretty good shape.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5145
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peter, that's funny about extra point kicks.
Well atleast it is 100 yards compared to the new Cass Tech. stadium which went in at 95, with runouts so short, players would get hurt banging into the stands.

jjaba.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Learned about Dr. Keyworth and his contribution to the education system when we were on the walking tour:

Keyworth Stadium
The stadium was named for Dr. Maurice R. Keyworth, who became Superintendent of Schools in 1923. He regarded reading, writing, spelling, language and arithmetic as the tools with which the pupil must first be equipped, next physical and mental development, ethical training was stressed, to instil a desire for self-improvement and the impulse to serve others. Known as the Hamtramck Public School Code, the plan was so successful it was copied by six American and two Russian universities, as well as by many teachers' colleges; and used by countless educators in individual departments in many kinds of schools.

Source: http://www.rootsweb.com/~miway ne/keyworth_stadium.htm

Kathleen

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck natives and residents may be interested in these Arcadia books:

Hamtramck: Soul of a City by Greg Kowalski
http://www.arcadiapublishing.c om/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre en=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Pro duct_Code=0738523208&Product_C ount=&Category_Code=

Hamtramck: The Driven City by Greg Kowalski
http://www.arcadiapublishing.c om/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre en=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Pro duct_Code=0738523801&Product_C ount=&Category_Code=

Detroit's Polonia by Cecile Wendt Jensen
http://www.arcadiapublishing.c om/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre en=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Pro duct_Code=0738539996&Product_C ount=&Category_Code=

Also, the Polish Art Center is a great source of Polish arts and crafts and printed materials:
http://polartcenter.com/

Jjaba

Post Number: 5150
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Hamtramck Steve when we need him?
Now there's a guy who gives a wonderful Hamtramck tour.

jjaba.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Great pictures of Plymouths near the heart of the Chrysler nation. But even in Hamtramck, the rebels drove Chevys and Fords."

Well, considering the fact the Chevrolet Gear & Axle and Chevrolet Forge plants were located at St. Aubin and Holbrook I would hardly consider that rebellious. I have no doubt many Hamtramck residents worked there as well. If I remember correctly the Gear and Axle Plant portion of the complex was partially in Hamtramck if not completely.

Norwalk

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Packard plant was just down Mt. Elliot to Grand Blvd. If you go to the Hamtramck Secretary of State there are some great old Hamtramck photos, I especially like the one with the beat up 51 Packard in the intersection.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5723
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck once mostly Polish, Czecks, Albanians Germans and Sebians and few blacks. Now become Yemeni, East Indians, Pakistani, Sri Lanki, Bengalis all over. It's like Little America within America.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw an excellent movie the other day and wanted to share it on this thread. This was a film titled "Polish Wedding." It is pretty recent and took place in Hamtramck. I know this is a fictional movie, but wondered if anyone on the forum could relate to the close knit families and lifestyles portrayed in the movie.

Norwalk

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polish Wedding sure made Hamtramck shine! The pickle thing is the truth! Hamtramck has the best Vodka and Pickle selection in SE Michigan

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that movie. Claire Danes, Lena Olin and local personality Peter Carey are all great. It was filmed in 1997, I believe.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that they put in duck's blood soup. Now that was some serious research. I also love the line "Polish Women's Auxiliary League, just what exactly are they auxiliary too?"

Norwalk

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.L.A.V.possibly??

Jjaba

Post Number: 5152
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dodge Main is the real Hamtramck from the days of the photo. Chevy Gear and Axle is also important. Infact, it is still there and yes, it strattles Detroit and Hamtramck. GM Forge is an important plant too.

It would be hard for younger folks to imagine the shock when the VW bug started showing up in Hamtramck. Detroit was in total shock, and Hamtramck was having real severe heartburn.

Our family bought from Woody Pontiac in the 1950s.

jjaba.

Kris

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only good thing about Polish Wedding was that it was filmed in the city. I felt that the film was poorly researched and the way Polish women were portrayed was completely absurd. The family aspect that was shown in the film is relatively on par with most first generation Polish families.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per Hamtramck historian Greg Kowalski, "the city is about 23 percent Polish, 14 percent African-American, and the rest is made up of numerous
other groups including Bangladeshi, Yeminis, Bosnians, Albanians, Arabs,Indians, Serbs, Croats, and even small numbers of Mexicans, Germans, Italians and other groups. The Poles, at 23 percent, are still the largest single ethnic
group."

Cherry
Username: Cherry

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of the 41.1% of Hamtramckans born outside of the US, the largest groups by country of origin are (or were as of the 2000 census): Bosnia Herzegovina, Bangladesh, Poland, Other W-Asia (mostly Yemen), Other E-Europe, Ukraine, Yugoslavia, Germany, Russia, Pakistan, Iraq, India, Lebanon, Italy, Canada, Czechoslovakia, Mexico, Philippines, France, Austria, Other N-Africa, Thailand, Caribbean, Jamaica, Panama, and Cambodia.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5164
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck, a United Nations neighborhood.

In the 1940, 1950s there were a large number of Detroit neighborhoods like this. Northlawn and Schoolcraft area was a mix of Jews, Italians, Poles, Greeks, Albanians, Lebanese, Syrians,
Macedonians, Canadians, French, Sicilians, Ukrainians, Armenians, Croats and more.

Nice to see Hamtramck carry on with welcoming all kindz people.

jjaba's most recent trivia contest reflects that new diversity of Fillipinos, Bosnians, Chinese, Indians, Bangledeshis, etc.

jjaba, Westsider.

Jskelly79
Username: Jskelly79

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics Hornwrecker
Just had a blast from my past.
My parent's families owned and operated Peoples
Meat Market until it closed.
My mother's family owned the bldg and father's family ran the market. My Uncle Ed was there until he retired and closed the market. All my cousins worked there.
I have never seen a picture of the bldg before I was born,even though I was born in the 50's.
Thanks again, you made my day.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather had a bakery on Campau for a few years, Warsawa, until some shenanigans with his business partners. I'll have to see if I can get a scan of the picture that I lent my cousin.

I've got a 1973 copy of the Citizen, and I'll see if the scanner is still working, and post any ads that look interesting.

Here's a picture of old Hamtramack HS.

Old Hamtramack HS

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking for an old photograph of my grandmother and happened to find my dad's first communion certificate from St. Florian's. It lists his address (in 1938, age 10) as 2311 Pulaski. He must have lived there before the house on Manhattan.

I'm really excited to find this out! It was a great Easter present!

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on McPherson, which is the first street north of Carpenter (the border) and just east of Jos. Campau. It's technically the city of Detroit, but the very close proximity (about 50 yards) to Hamtramck makes it great to walk to town and go to the great shops and ethnic food stores there. The funny thing is that there are no Romanians in Hamtramck, all Romanian people in the city stay between Michigan Av and Warren west of Livernois on the SW side. So my husband and I joke that we are adding one more token culture to the Hamtramck community, which has such a great blend of cultures anyway!

Karenka
Username: Karenka

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know some Romanians in Hamtramck.

Stephanie
Username: Stephanie

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Frumoasa, I used to live at 2731 McPherson, on the other side of Joseph Campau from 1987 until 1996, the block that dead ends at the alley. I would have loved to stay, but after being robbed on six separate occasions and living in the only house inhabitable I finally gave in and left. Unfortunately, none of the houses are left standing on that block.

Having Oaza Bakery, Polonia, Good Times Bar and Genie's Wienies on Conant, and Paycheck's within walking distance are what I miss most about not living down there anymore.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Stephanie. The other side of JC is a little rough. Thankfully all of the houses on my block are in good condition and inhabited, so knock on wood, there's a bit less trouble here. And the proximity to everything is fabulous...I agree. Especially when summer comes around :-)

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother graduated from Hamtramck HS and in the early 60's I saw the football team from Boys Town play a local team at Keyworth Stadium. Just across the street from the high school there was a nice gun shop, Jack Roy's. That was quite a city, on Friday nights there would be policemen on many of the corners directing traffic because it was so heavy.
Who remembers the Farnum Theatre and Dulles's Soda Fountain?

Pmatylonek
Username: Pmatylonek

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calling Tammy Hughes!

Tammypio

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm Paul? Email me at TammyPio at comcast dot net.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: