Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Remembering Belle Isle « Previous Next »
Remembering Belle Isle - 1Craig80 03-29-07  6:49 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original bridge...

bridge

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread inspired me to scan some more postcards that I have. Here they are...

b1

b2

b3

b4

b5

b6

b7

b8

b9

b10

b11

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did that guy get back in time in "Somewhere in Time"? :-) I wanna go back and see this time in the history of Detroit. Thanks again for the great pics!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those old postcards are sweet! I have some lying around somewhere. There's been a lot of comments about troubles on the Isle. I've never had any troubles but I haven't been there for years. I had noticed that on a weekends as the afternoon faded there were more & more young types playing loud music. A funny thing about perceptions: I've been around places hanging out in the burbs & the city where mostly whites were with people getting rowdy but never have felt threatened but once I see large groups of blacks basically doing the same I confess I get a little nervous. This I can say for sure is I've gotten plenty of hard or even dirty looks from blacks at times and I wonder: What's their beef with me? I don't even know them- it puzzles me a lot.
As for the deer if they're penned up now that's a shame one of charms was the herd ranging free out there. As for feral dogs- at a local town dump up north years ago rat shooting was a local recreational activity- plenty of folks out at night shining & shootin'with their .22 rifles. A Downright social event!!

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because "that guy" was Superman. ;)

Belle Isle - Winter - 1930's

Username: 1805

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fallow deer were wrangled into the newer Belle Isle Nature Center's Deer Encounter. You can feed them behind fences.

It's worth a stroll there.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The list of things to do on Belle Isel overlooked The Dossin Great Lakes Museum - it's just reopened after a makeover and should be seen. Open on Saturday's and Sunday's, admission is free for the coming year.

Like the Detroit Historical Museum, The Dossin Great Lakes Museum is managed again by the Detroit Historical Society after 60 years under City of Detroit management.

Be sure to go to www.detroithistorical.org and visit the Webcam mounted atop The Dossin's pilot house from the freighter William Clay Ford - it's a great opportunity to see the ships from your computer.

Bob Cosgrove

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig said early on: "there's no way in the world that I'd risk disaster by taking my loved-ones to Belle Isle in an attempt to recreate summer-time memories."

Iheart replied: Too many black people for you?

Kath says: antagonistic response. Not necessary.

I've never tried to communicate with total strangers by computer before, and I think I know why. I don't think that any of you mean sounding people like JT1 and Iheart would speak to people in person the way you are typing here. I am dismayed at the low level of attacks.

If someone posts something that you don't agree with, you would be wise and good to think about why they took the time to post and maybe try to kindly persuade them to think again. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

You do not help the cause by being reactionary in your response.

Miss_cleo's post did not warrant the repeated attacks from JT1. I've read them all and coming from a completely un-biased place I have to say that,.....oh, forget it.

JT1 if you are so adamant about keeping everything on this site upbeat and positive, why do you cajole and demean others?

I didn't know DY was ONLY for Detroiters currently living in the City proper. It's on the computer, which means that it's public domain.

Many of the thread topics include negative information about Detroit.

You know that some white people are afraid of some black people. But I bet these same white people aren't afraid of nice looking black people. It's all in the way you present yourself. If there is a group of young white men and women loitering on the side of the road, drinking, yelling loudly at passing cars and they are wearing shaved heads and low slung pants with loud music playing I wouldn't stop and say hello. They would intimidate me. Not scare me, intimidate me.

They might be nice, I don't know, but they are PRESENTING themselves as above the laws of civility and I can't see beyond that.

jt1 I can see that you are passionate about Detroit and Belle Isle. You and the other mean sounding posters should try to be nicer so that you would better get your point across that "Belle Isle and Detroit are very nice, please don't stay away!''Come see for yourself and you will love it!".

I'm rambling, but I wanted to comment.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8751
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath - It isn't so much that I am passionate about BI and Detroit but I will call people out for misinformation/stereotypes, etc.

Craig has already made it clear that any part of the city is too dangerous for 'his girl' His POV is incorrect on many levels and his claims are incorrect. It is pretty obvious he is not someone that you can catch with honey. If I did meet them in person and they told me to my face how horrible my city is I would call them out as well.

Craig's history on this board (for the short amount of time) is of telling half truths or making incorrect statements. Miss Cleo's history has been to tell us how the city sucks and anyone that chooses to live in SE michigan is stupid.

quote:

I didn't know DY was ONLY for Detroiters currently living in the City proper. It's on the computer, which means that it's public domain.

I agree but I would also like to remind you that many on this board live in the city and do many things for the city. People that come here and make blanket statements that are demeaning or incorrect about the city should realize they are speaking about my home, the homes of my family and friends, etc. They might see it as an easy place to stereotype but it is my home.

quote:

You know that some white people are afraid of some black people. But I bet these same white people aren't afraid of nice looking black people.

Funny, most of the black people (with the exception of kids hanging out on the South end)on BI are families, people having picnics, family reunions, etc. I don't believe that how people are behaving fits Cleo and Craiggy's stereotypes at all but they continue with them.

Craig has admitted that he won't go because it is 'too dangerous' and Cleo talks about when she went two years ago but both are certain of their opinions. I suspect that behaviour and how people carry themselves has very little to do with their beliefs and perceptions.

Kath - I also offered to buy beers for Craig and Cleo if they were willing to help with the Bell Isle clean up. I will up it and buy them lunch as well. I figure a day of free food and drinks for an opoortunity to change their perceptions is an attempt at using a little honey. The offer still stands for both of them. Will either accept?

Craig - I am no zealot but your nonsense gets old. Can you post what city you live in so I can make a number of inaccurate statements about it?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

I've just responded to you on another thread, but I must again, here.

I couldn't imagine either Craig or Cleo wanting to get to know you over lunch. You have come across as a hateful person who judges people and "calls them out" on what you think are inadequacies on their parts.

Maybe you're not hateful, but you have certainly given me that impression. I too wouldn't want to get to know you.

You talk about Craig's POV and other peoples POV's as being 'wrong'. A point of view is singularly your own. That's why it's not called a "majority consensus", or "fact".

See how you are looking for fights with people. Stop being such a baby and wanting to argue.

I would love to see you post something that made sense and not just 'calling people out'.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what, Jt1 -

I posted the above message then I realized that my last sentence was not nice. Your posts do make sense, because they are your POV. I should edit that out, but I'll leave it in.

Jt1

Post Number: 8772
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny that you call me out for calling others out on their post.

I will amend my offer. I will have free drinks and meals set up at any place of Craig and Cleo's choice if they participate. I won't be there. I will leave my charge card number with the staff and have them bill whatever is consumed after they help with the BI clean up. They never have to meet me but my charge card will be waiting. This goes back to my point that people love to complain about the State of the city but are all too often unwilling to do anything to help.

I am incorrect if I state that their POV is wrong. You are correct in that manner. I do think that their POVs are very offensive towards Detroit and everyone working hard to make Detroit better.

You do see the irony that you call me out for calling people out being mean, then call me hateful and a baby.

Jt1

Post Number: 8774
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - I also posted on this thread about the playscapes, Dossin museum and deer. I try to be helpful when I can. It is unfortunate that you gloss over those posts.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Lord, here we go again.

I've done my "civic" part plenty. Be civil and we can try talking about what is wrong/perceived wrong with the City as well as what might be done to address the same.

People like me exist, and if Detroit is to be more than a shell it needs to address our concerns - economic power hit 8 Mile a long time ago and it and its spill-over benefits are not coming back until matters improve.

Meet me in the middle, Jt1. Allow me my POV, I will acknowledge your affinity and protective spirit, and we'll work out a solution for this City.

Jt1

Post Number: 8780
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Meet me in the middle, Jt1. Allow me my POV, I will acknowledge your affinity and protective spirit, and we'll work out a solution for this City.

Sounds good to me. Consider this a handshake. I just ask that you remember you are talking about people's homes and city when you make glib remarks like I have mentioned above. I realize that to many it may be silly but it gets old hearing how badly the city sucks and making it the butt of every joke. Allow me that much.

(Message edited by jt1 on March 30, 2007)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"remember going to concerts for the Detroit Concert Band, one of the very best of its kind, with Dr. Leonard B. Smith. FREE quality music. Then in the 70's the custom-party van thing came along and the van owners would park right next to the band shell and open their back doors, take out these huge speakers that would be large in a living room and blast out the Ohio players or some other urban copulation music, with absolutely no respect for the DCB musicians or their audience. Dr. Smith threw in the towel, said F_____it, and the region took another step down the staircase to hell."

56Packman has true recall. I knew the bandleader's wife and promotor and often attended the concerts in their twilight years. The crowd at the Concert Band events was "too white" as the Mayor used to say. They got scared by all the threatening behavior around the Bandshell.White people were/are pretty much chased away from Belle Isle because Black people own it now and want to make that clear.

I remember when the yacht club was researching getting one of those boats that nearly fly over the water to deliver members to the DYC docks because members were becoming reluctant to drive on the Island late at night. It was scary. Don't know about how it is now because never go there anymore.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 - OK, pals.

Really, in my heart this is my home, and professionally I do all that I can to bring work and prosperity back home. And if it feels good you can pick a suburb for a thread and we'll pile on about its issues.

Re: Belle Isle (remember, this is the Belle Isle thread) - I probably won't show up for a G.I. party, but if you've ever pulled junk out of the Rouge River you may have seen me.

Jt1

Post Number: 8781
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we speak passionately both pro and con because we care.Those who have been hurt or are feeling the loss their of their home town from the childhood speak powerfully.

Belle Isle will re-invent itself and it truly is all Detroit's park...When we adopt that diversity is the key to success for all these great parts of Detroit and there is economic incentives to return the park to it's greatness it will become a central park again..I hope that as the developments along the river brings higher socioeconomics to the area it will spill out.

Where would the people rather spend their time...hopefully not cooped up in a 300000 dollar condo...

As long as everyone takes pride in the park I can see the aquarium re-opening....and Restoration.. I brought a person from Oklahoma there last year and they thought it was awesome...In the middle of the day and with a lot of younger people...sure it was not the same as when I was young (sad) but I see potential and again the coolest view of downtown.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

opoortunity to change their perceptions

good lord! my ONLY perception of BI was that is was too crowded and noisey for me...is that really a terrible perception? Did I also need to point out that many cars with radios blaring would be loud, I thought that would be pretty obvious, but to some I guess not. To me it seems more like a personal preferance for a quieter place. Is that really worth the harassment I recieved on this thread?

As far as helping with BI clean-up......instead of food and drink, pay for the gas on my 5 hour trip to get there and back.

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is only MY opinion, but if you want to keep
Belle Isle safe, keep it clean, for family fun, charge $ 2.00 admission.
Troublemakers don't like havin' to pay to disrupt other peoples enjoyment of a beautiful park on a beautiful day.Law abiders don't mind helping to keep a place civil.
That's only MY opinion

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 474
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And its a good opinion.

Also, whats this *clean-up* all about? Is the park dirty? Is this just leaves and winter debris or are we talking trash left by lovely people who dont care about the park and comfort of others?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 replied:

Funny that you call me out for calling others out on their post.

my response:

I saw you actually use the term "call you out" a few times and I haven't called you out at all.
Just observing

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do see the irony that you call me out for calling people out being mean, then call me hateful and a baby.

Yes, Jt1 I do see how you could infer that I was being mean, but I really meant it as an observation that you are mean to people on DY. As for the 'baby' comment, If you thought it was mean of me, then it was and I'm sorry. Really.

I try very hard not to offend people, but it happens every so often. I didn't think 'baby' was that bad, but it was. Again, I'm sorry.

Still, I do think you would be able to change people's perceptions of anything with kindness and empathy to their situations.

I sound like a big dork, and I think I am.:-)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, I love the way you type what you think! And quite succinct! I heard a soft orchestra playing behind your post as I was reading!

Miss C said: my ONLY perception of BI was that is was too crowded and noisey for me...is that really a terrible perception? Did I also need to point out that many cars with radios blaring would be loud, I thought that would be pretty obvious, but to some I guess not. To me it seems more like a personal preferance for a quieter place. Is that really worth the harassment I recieved on this thread?

No, it's not. Your posts were fine as far as I was concerned. I'm new here so my opinion probably doesn't count for much, and I'm straight, white and Christian, (wink to Jt1 :-),but that's ok.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Belle Isle thread and I have, until now, refrained from repeating the offer my financial group made to a previous mayor that is still open (albeit the offer is at a lower price due to declining conditions in Detroit).

We will buy Belle Isle and the bridge and four acre mainland approaches for 750,000,000. We will require that the State grant us a new jurisdiction (Belle Isle Township) and Detroit will cede all rights. The Coast Guard and the DYC can stay.

Plans for housing and services on the island were included and we felt our offer could afford Detroit the cash it needs to waste more money. Previous mayor never responded despite requests. offer still good at new price.

Gibran

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathy I think :}....

Gibran

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call out to Kathy""' did you ever make it to Saleh's ...Petra... He is out of town but the diner is still open...If you go tell Katlyn I sent you,,,,The dogwoods are so pretty this year I bet they are awesome by you, Happy spring

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did mean it as a compliment Gib.

Am I reading riverrat's post right that they would like to turn Belle Isle into a private community?

For Pete's sake, River_rat, it sounds like your 'financial group' would want to take away access to the island by anyone who isn't a homeowner, right? Did your group buy Boblo? Or maybe you wish you had.

That would not benefit the City at all only you and your 'financial group'.

Buy Belle Isle, fix it up (I bet you have enough money - 750,000,000 at least) and make it work with your group's educated ideas. Charge money to enter, hold fund-raising dinners and fancy dances, get in good with the police department and, I don't know, HELP BELLE ISLE! You would be held up as a savior of a beautiful piece of public property.

OMG, if you would do that it would be so cool! Maybe your group could make tons of money in another area.

Take away public access to Belle Isle? I hope you never get to do that.

I just realized that you might be joking and I fell for it. I can be very gullible.

Gibran

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought so :} I have enjoyed your posts....

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was almost afraid to even post anything on this thread because halfway through there was a bit of a heated argument, so I hope that I don't get caught in a crossfire here (lol). But BI is one of my favourite hangouts in the city-especially with the Grand Prix coming back-but like one of the threads read, 8-10 AM is a good time to be on the island. Pure relaxation for walking, and rollerblading, and all that other good stuff. I worked at BI for a year or so outside the white house by the aquarium and I loved to look at the water. Just listening to the ripples can be calming at times, but that's just me. But my fondest memories of BI is that growing up in the 80s, Gd. Blvd. would tunnel under Jefferson just to dodge the traffic [when was it patched up? Somewhere between '88-'91? Can't recall, someone let me know, I'd appreciate it]. And another memory I have is that we used to ride the giant slide and it was literally in the skies! In recent years, the old slide was razed and was rebuilt but it was at a third shorter than the original (WHAT?!?!?), but I'll say this. Walking on the bridge, checking out the aquarium, and the ice mountain supported by wooden logs every winter, there's ALWAYS a chemistry @ BI. So much to talk about (obviously).

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gib,

I haven't made it there, but have told a friend that we have to go there soon. I've written down the info and now I'll add Katlyn's name.
I am so looking forward to it!

We have a Dogwood right in front of our porch in our front yard. It is the biggest, fullest tree we've seen and to have it right in our faces is ultimately cool! We are going to try to have a small get together underneath the tree tomorrow late afternoon, but I might have to move it inside because of the highly possible rain.

Happy Spring is right! The Redbuds don't always bloom with the Dogwoods, so this has been especially mind blowing to everyone here.

This would be a perfect, and I mean perfect place to do MDMA if they still made it like in the 1980's!

Back to Belle Isle, we have the prerequisite Easter pictures in the Conservatory. That cave in the back was so cool when we were kids, wasn't it.

I also got to see the fountain with it's different colored lights when I was young, unless I dreamed it! Did they stop doing the colored lights after the 70's? Maybe they still do them? I love Belle Isle.

Could you imagine someone making it a community? Dang, wealthy people are always trying to mess things up for everyone else.

I urge everyone to visit The Ozarks in the Spring around this time til end of April if you want to get blown away by nature's beauty.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle lived on East Grand Boulevard, about 10 houses down from where the tunnel began. It was neat to get to the island via that tunnel. Honking was a priority (because it was forbidden).

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh you guys, was River-rat being facetious? I just re-read the post and I think he/she was.

Man, I am feeling really silly for going on like I did if in fact Rr was kidding...was he/she?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks...lived in Middle Tennessee for a few years and the redbuds were beautiful at this time of the year. The Smokies are magnificent as well. Enjoy them, the colors don't last too long.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great aunt lived on EGB in the same area also. Man, her flat had high ceilings, huge wooden pocket doors and we thought it was the most elegant home we could visit!

Yes, the short tunnel was like an amusement park ride. Very exciting! I love Detroit in the 1960's!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Nashville from '81 - '86. Were you near there then, Buyamerican?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncles two flat had those high ceilings and lots of mahogany trim. I remember the pocket doors. It had four bedrooms upstairs and a dark basement that we loved to play hide and seek in. It was huge. It had a wonderful front porch and we'd sit out there at night and watch and listen. Everyone knew each other and it was wonderful. This was late 40's, early 50's.
Cookeville, do you know it?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 332
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only have a vague recollection of Cookeville.

Man, late 40's early 50's in Detroit was sweet from what I've heard and read on DY.

We visited EGB in late 60's early 70's. Maybe not as swell an area at that time, but still cool buildings. I'm seeing myself in her kitchen right now!

Have a great weekend everyone, I'm off to dream of cool old homes and Belle Isle and it will probably be real wierd!

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks and Buyamerican

My Yard yesterday, 30 mi west of Nashville

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now back to your regularly scheduled Belle Isle.

Gibran

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this has been a great year for dogwoods in the south...my mom's favorite flower...True story: she was dying of cancer and I remembered that she loved Dogwoods. I didn't think there was any up near Traverse City...One day while visiting her I went for a walk in the woods and found one...Brought it back to her. Now it is my favorite part of spring...Don't recall many people having them up there.,,Nice trees Ragto. Thanks fo rsharing

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the Web-Cam back up, I visit Belle Isle Every Day !
http://www.campusmartiuspark.c om/

It was a long Year without it.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Intend to Threadjack Belle Isle with pics from Tenn.

Hopefully these Pics from Belle Isle will redeem myself
Dad & Mom -1958

Dad -1966

River_rat

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks,

Riverrat was not kidding; my group sent a $5 million check along with our offer several years ago. And yes, we would turn it into a private island but much better than Bob-Lo.

It is called privatization in formerly communist countries. System doesn't work, get it away from the gov't.

River_rat

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks,

Riverrat was not kidding; my group sent a $5 million check along with our offer several years ago. And yes, we would turn it into a private island but much better than Bob-Lo.

It is called privatization in formerly communist countries. System doesn't work, get it away from the gov't.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59
Thanks for the great picture, that's what Springtime is all about. Do you ever hear the cranes migrating? I was amazed one day when I heard this strange sound and my neighbor told me it was whooping cranes migrating. She pointed them out (it was hard to find them because they were so high), but there they were, thousands of them. I'm getting goose bumps!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican,
I see enough Geese migrating through here That I wont need a trip over to Jack Miners to get any more looks at them ! lol

I am about 1.5 Miles from the river (Cumberland) When you go out on the river here you can see plenty of Cranes, Geese, Turtles, Fish, Deer and Snakes too.
Cruising the river through the country side is as good as going to a Zoo !

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 564
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is the last time the Scott Fountain ran in full? The lower portions have not been working in the last couple years, if my memory is correct.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to Belle Isle to change it from the Glory days of the DYC, Canoeing, the Aquarium.....

what are the Demographics that caused the changes...

regards

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtop, thanks for the pic of your yard, it sure is beautiful! I like that you put planter boxes at the base of the trees. I want to do that too, but I always think it isn't good for the tree.

I have pix of our yard with the tree too, but I don't know how to post pix.

Love the pix at the fountain! I wonder how many thousands of pictures at the fountain people all over the world have. I know our family has at least 10 from three generations!

Wouldn't it be cool if we could all go to Belle Isle with our old pictures and have huge posting boards set up at the famous picture taking places? So many of the same pictures with different people might just give people pause and realize that we are all so much the same!

There could be music of all different types playing at locations, kite flying, canoe rides, etc.

Riverrat; So, you're saying that you had a change of plan and are not actively seeking privatization of the island?

Can you still put that 5 mil into, maybe, the Aquarium renovation? You could be a hero!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar asked:
When is the last time the Scott Fountain ran in full? The lower portions have not been working in the last couple years, if my memory is correct

I would like to know as well. Anyone?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a view looking across the Detroit River at ?
belle isle detroit

Ookpik

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the recent discussion regarding Belle Isle, I went there *today* and took some pictures. This is what I saw:

I have more that I will try to post later.

Ookpik

Buyamerican

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, thanks for taking the time, they are great pictures.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice stuff Ook.

Ookpik

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys!

Here is the rest:

A comparison:

70 Years Ago

Today

70 Years Ago

Today

Ookpik

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Job Ookpik !

Corktown_paddy
Username: Corktown_paddy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a time period in the mid 70's when the lagoon next to the Scott fountain was drained and sealed from the river for whatever reason(s).
It was an awesome bonus for old and I mean OLD coke/pop bottles. some coins from all time periods.
Pretty cool it was, although short lived.

(Message edited by Corktown_paddy on March 31, 2007)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown_paddy, I remember that period. Some repair work was going on at the time (I may have some photos laying around). Did you save any of the bottles? It would be cool to see them.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 681
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks - I was a volunteer at an event at the Belle Isle Conservatory today called:'Day in the Garden". I just happened to read in the Friends of Belle Isle 2006 Fall news letter that the city replaced leaking pumps for Scott Fountain last fall.

I noticed a number of dead trees had been cut down recently and new trees had been planted. I also noticed that earth movers were excavating an area for the Belle Isle races. The area between the Casino and Scott Fountain. I think this is where the pit crews normally work and the area was always muddy. I think it was mentioned in the paper that they were going to build an area for the crews to work.
I forgot to drive by Flynn Pavillion. Someone mentioned that work is being done at the pavillion and they will have paddle boats. Is this true?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Bibs! Thank you for working at Belle Isle for the rest of us. You keep the memories alive!

Ookpik, the pictures make me happy to think that the buildings are at least still standing and beautiful! Thank you for taking your personal time to go there.

No people,though. Mid day Saturday? I would love to see people milling about enjoying a true gem. I know you are there and so is Bibs!

My hat's off to you both!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet: If no one has answered question regarding the pic you posted, that is the Uniroyal factory.

There's a little more info and a few more pics at

Detroit News Article

(link fixed)

(Message edited by dds on April 02, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4010
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, that one old pic that shows the MacArthur Bridge (the official name of the bridge to Belle Isle), also shows the old Uniroyal complex on the left side of the pic. That plant left so many toxins in the soil when it was razed in the 1980's, which explains why the land is still undeveloped.

However plans are in the works, as well as the State of Michigan charging Uniroyals owners (and others) part of the cost of the brownfield cleanup.

That site has plans in the works by Jerome Bettis and others.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 770
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I noticed a number of dead trees had been cut down recently and new trees had been planted.

In the past five years, Belle Isle has lost hundreds of very old and very large ash trees to the emerald ash borer. The appearance of the island, on the western half especially, has changed considerably.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 682
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline - Yep, I-75 is lined with dead ash trees in the Detroit area. These trees were so far gone that the bark had fallen off so I couldn't even tell what type of tree they were.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong. Nobody has mentioned anything about the "Fishing Derby"? 1t was sponsored by one of the newspapers at the time. The TIMES?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to Belle Isle today and walked out to the lighthouse on the east end and then followed a trail on the other side of the lagoon and it was peaceful and nice. I spent some time on the shore and thought that the far east river front looks real nice with all those parks. The city looked good and I always like being able to see Lake St Clair while still in the city limits. I really like the drive on the east side of the island.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gistok and Dds, I thought that is what it was.Thanks for the helpful link. Also 14509glenfield, has no one mentioned anything about the "Kite In" back in the 70's sponsored by WABX, or for that matter the "Bike Marathon" sponsored by Pepsi. I was at both, and lived to tell about it. Any photos out there any one?

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on April 02, 2007)

Gibran

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bulletmagnet; was at the Kite in the 70's and remember it being cold as H---- 1973-4 ....was most likely to cold to take pictures or to something....went there with the group from Sasser park....had a softball team called the Sasser stoners and played in the Parks and Rec softball league...

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were there about 6 years ago for a softball turrney my dh was in. They were on the field playing when a group of kids just walked across the field, right in the middle of the game. Staring at them daring them to do something.
Totally rude wouldnt you say?

But it was probably my imagination cause things like that dont happen on BI lol!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gibran, nice to know it wasn’t a dream or LSD. Parks and Rec? In Detroit? Oh yea, we're talking the 1970's.Good team name, what were the W/L stats? Ask around if your buds are still kicking, some one has a photo I bet, even if it's of your team. I'm thinking I may know a player or two. Well Miss Cleo, Things like that just make me wish your group would have taken your bats and beat holy hell out of those knuckle draggers. I bet the Sasser Stoners would have! But I am sure those punks were armed and that is no fair fight. And people wonder why some won't come into the city or parks. DAMN! Now I said bad things about Detroit.

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on April 04, 2007)

Gibran

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet I wish I was as versed as you with the camera...unfortunately my pictures were all lost when my mom passed...Actually we were pretty good for having a name like that... U may have the majority went to Arthur Junior High and Denby...we actually were pretty peaceful even riding our bikes to the various games...all of us were in 9th grade. One of the older brothers would buy beer so we let him be the stats guy...By the way I really love your work..

Dtroit
Username: Dtroit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, I am pretty sure that is the old uniroyal plant site.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody else out there remember when the J. T. Wing was the "official" marine museum, and whose bones now rest where the Dossin is located?
We are talking late 40's, early 50's.
Now if there is anyone out there who remembers when the Wing actually was sailing, then you are my winner of the day.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, my grandfather worked on the J.T. Wing for about a year. I remember as a kid going to visit the ship and also remembered how much I wanted to be a pirate at that time. I remember when it burned.

Gibran

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you remember the two Naval vessels docked across from the Isle in the 60's...One was a Sub.

That was such a thrill to see on the way to Belle Isle.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The submarine was "The Tambor"
There was a small ferry that went back and forth from just beyond the Brodhead Armory and Belle Isle, I think I have a picture from some website, I'll try to find it.

Ookpik

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are these pictures of the J.T. Wing while on Belle Isle?

Ookpik

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout that. The last three posts go back in Belle Isle history. I would venture a guess that Ookpik has the correct photo. The poor Wing just kinda rotted there after so many years, and was burned to the ground ( intentionally ) in late 1956.The J. T. Wing Company were ships' chandlers and once had their offices where Hart Plaza is.
The Welcome and the Promise were two ferry boats that ran between the Island and "the mainland". The submarine Tambor played a major role in WWII and had a part in the Battle of Midway. I recall going down with my Cub scout group one Saturday and we had the opportunity to scramble aboard the Tambor when she was tied up by the bridge.
The Dossin has an operable periscope which has always been a focal point at the museum.
Submarines are really fascinating, and I have been aboard many "museum subs", Americam, German, Russian, as well as having had the opportunity to take a 4 hour cruise on the current SSGN MICHIGAN in Puget Sound, 45 minutes of which we were totally submerged. "Running deep".

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid I toured the submarine that was docked on the river. I remember there wasn't much room, being a small sub. Also in summer of 1952, a friend and I would board the bus at Van Dyke and Milbank with fishing poles, night crawlers and buckets. We'd take the bus to Belle Isle to fish. The bus drivers were very helpful with transfers etc. We were 12 years old at that time. Sometimes the trip home would be somewhat fishy smelling. We'd also take the bus to the DIA too. My oh my, things have changed some.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stotter, you are lucky to have been able to live that life as a child. I love the old days, all of us do.
Thanks for the sweet visual!

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad used to tell me that Belle Isle, before it was developed, was once called "Snake Island", because of the snake population. So pigs were let loose on the island to kill the snakes. Within a few years, the pigs overran the isle and it was called "Pig Island". I've never been able to confirm this. Anyone have info?.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was called Hog Island by the French. Hogs and cattle could graze there and rustlers couldn't get them. The hogs ate most of the snakes on the island. In 1845 some Detroiters went to the island and replaced the Hog Island name with Belle Isle,,,Belle was the youngest child of Lewis Cass.

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I missed the posting, but what is with all the construction goin on at the west end of Belle Isle. I imagine it is for the upcoming Indy car race ,Labour day weekend.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the submarine was the U.S.S. Cero. A couple of times we toured the J.T.Wing when it was on the island. That was probably when the island may have been nearing the end of its heyday. There was a tourist train which circled the island with people riding in the cars. It may have been black and orange. That may have been the same time as when there were missile silos at the east end of the island as well as riding stables run by Al Knapp. It was the first time I ever rode a horse.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: