Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Cool Train Pic - Can someone confirm location? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danjo444
Username: Danjo444

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm told it's a Wabash diesel locomotive at Fort Street Station 1962. Can someone please confirm or correct. Love this pic, with the Penobscot glowing in the background.

Wabash

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would be the PRR station at Fort and Second.
Great photo

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a good one! IS that the Wabash Cannonball Express? How many stations were there back in the Day. I know MC featured Pennsylvania, Michigan Central, and Ney York Central RR passenger trips, and that Brush Street was Grand Trunk Western and Canadian National. I have a neat old rail road atlas from 1964 somewhere in my old room at my parents place I would love to lay my hands on again if I could find it. Im sure it would have some of this info. I am growing my collection of Railroadinia. I have a Penn Central Car shop brake pressure gauge, and a N&W switch lock with key.

Psip

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A great bit of background about the station.
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/54651.html?11557775 62

BTW yes that is a Wabash EMD F(3?)

(Message edited by PSIP on March 28, 2007)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2921
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Great photo

The tracks stopped west of Third. For the station to be at Second, the old Fort Street Presbyterian Church east of Third would have had much unwanted through traffic.

Psip

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry,, 3rd street. oops
Thanks LY

BTW, it was called the Fort Street Union Depot

Psip

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is a Wabash F7 in Daylight

F7

http://www.trainweb.org/

Note: all of the F series looked pretty much the same.

Danjo444

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all...great info. Appreciated!

Danjo

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great train pic. Learning so much about Detroit from this site!

(same Danjo444 from aol? Blui715 here! If so, nice to chat again!)

Danjo444

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hiya Blu, yes, it's me. Nice to see a familiar "face." No longer have AOL...now Comcast email. Yes, this is a great site. These folks really know their stuff. Still love playing guitar (badly), trains, history and riding my HD FLSTCi two wheeler around the lake. I recently rode the waterway north from Toledo, all the way to Port Huron. Still do some distance riding as well. Last summer rode from Deeeetroit to the Rockies and back. Nice to "see" you again!

Danjo

Cambrian

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm loving those old threads PSIP posted, next to old cars, old railroads are my junior obsession. I just took the kid to the Steam RailRoad museum in Owosso last weekend. I understand they have long rail excursions, some even up to Grayling, starting in May. I highly recommend it, as I understand the Pere Marquette 1225 is going offline for costly maintenance repairs,(new steam tubes) in 2010. Who knows if it will be back online after that, need for money and the availability of it being what it is.

Danjo444

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camb, me too. Hey, if you want to ride a nice steam train, check out Little River Railroad in Coldwater. http://www.littleriverrailroad .com/

They have train "robberies", Civil War weekends, other cool events. Went twice last year. You ride the train from Coldwater east to Quincy and back. (You have enough time in Quincy to grab a cold one on old US 12.) Support your local steam trains...nothing like the scent of burning coal, and the sound of the bell. Oh, and that lonesome whistle...

Blueidone

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danjo..What a coincidence that we should "meet" again here! Keep the great pics coming! I have obtained this new interest in things old and historical. Maybe cuz I'm getting older?

Cambrian..thanks for the info. Sounds like a great weekend thing to do with my grandkids.

Psip

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danjo, if you want to see some really cool RR stuff, take a trip thru PA. via Altoona, Scranton, Strasburg. You will never want to come back. Hit Orbisonia also, and see the East Broad Top.
Altoona really is mecca for RR history. Horseshoe curve is cool.

Horseshoe

http://www.ebtrr.com/
http://www.railroadcity.com/
http://www.nps.gov/stea/
http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/
http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
you might want to spend a night at the Caboose Motel
http://www.redcaboosemotel.com/scenery.html

Cambrian

Post Number: 872
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mstrp.com/

Lstjstl
Username: Lstjstl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The train in question is Wabash #3, the "St. Louis Limited." The Limited was the overnight Wabash run to St. Louis; the famous "Wabash Cannonball" was its daytime counterpart.

Fort Street Union was home to the trains of the Wabash (and successor Norfolk and Western after 1964), the Pere Marquette (Chesapeake and Ohio after 1947) the Baltimore and Ohio from 1964 on and the Pennsylvania Railroad until that line ended its Detroit passenger operations in 1959. Fort Street remained in operation until the start of Amtrak in the spring of 1971. It was demolished in the winter of 1974.

Michigan Central was used by the Michigan Central and its parent, New York Central, as well as the Baltimore and Ohio prior to 1964, and the Canadian Pacific.

Brush Street Station, near the site of the Renaissance Center, hosted the Grand Trunk Western and Canadian National.

Oh, and the locomotive in the photograph is an EMD E-8. The "E" series were primarily passenger engines; "F" series engines were mostly used in freight applications, although they were sometimes used to haul passenger trains in mountainous areas.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6219
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one in Ontario

http://www.steamtrain.com/

Psip

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lstjstl, I knew I would get corrected by trying to ident a locomotive. :-)

If anyone wants to see Horseshoe Curve in action via webcam

http://64.84.107.59/view/index .shtml

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, A Wabash passenger train at FSUD. Early 1960s would be correct, as the blue scheme with white pinstripes was the new scheme at the time. The lead locomotive is an EMD E8A. Pere Marquette (later C&O) and the PRR also used this station. I think the actual Wabash Cannonball was a morning westbound departure, so this is probably another train or the eastbound backed in. I'll see if I can find some more info :-) Thanks for sharing!!

Cambrian

Post Number: 873
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a museum in Mt Clemens, not checked it out yet, but I will shortly!

I rode the horseshoe curve in October of '96. Amtrak was giving people rides as a part of Altoona Railroad days festival. Fun Stuff!

http://www.michigantransitmuse um.org/

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lstjstl:
Sounds like you're going to be a valuable addition to team DetroitYes.
Welcome aboard.

Psip

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this HSC webcam.
In one hour I have seen 3 Westbound Piggybacks, 1 coal drag and a mixed consist + 1 Helper team shuttle back east. (3 NS and 1 Conrail)
Too bad its so jerky and no sound.
The noise at HSC is amazing, the strain of the engines and squealing of the wheels.
I was surprised the coal drag didn't have pushers. I guess these new engines have enough balls to get up the hill.

(Message edited by PSIP on March 28, 2007)

Danjo444

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great info from everyone above. Appreciated. Thanks all.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an EMD E-8 Diesel in HO scale, a B and O by Life Like. A really nice looking unit. Love those "port holes."
Danjo--Don't forget the National Model Train convention at Cobo Hall this July. Gotta be there to believe it. You want trains, you got 'em, just a little smaller than those you see on this thread.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? The Detroit News is there and was there during this time. There was nowhere for the rails to run. Are you sure?

Danjo444

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock...sounds great. Have info? Is there a link? I know there are smaller shows at schools here and there. If you have info on those, please let me know as well. I'm a G-scaler, and have both freight and passenger trains. Nothing elaborate, just fun stuff.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the one I'm waiting for. Doyle McCormick, he of the rebuilding of the Southern Pacific 4-8-4 #4449 for use on the American Freedom Train--and who keeps it running to this day--is rebuilding an ex Santa Fe #62/Deleware & Hudson #18 Alco PA-1 and has repainted it as Nickle Plate Road #190. A picture of it at the Brooklyn Avenue roundhouse in Portland, Ore where it's being rebuilt:

http://www.nkp190.com/progress /images/190pa016.jpg

Looks real sharp. Doyle is from Conneaut, Ohio and a NKP fan, that's why it's painted that way and not in SP Daylight or SF Warbonnet colors. It would look right at home at Fort Street.....

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name of the station pictured is Fort Street Union Depot. It served the C&O (Pere Marquette), B&O, PRR. Wabash and perhaps the DT&I, although its station was on West Jefferson on the Rouge River before Henry Ford built the Short Cut Canal. The PRR was a late comer to Detroit arriving in 1920 at Henry Ford's instigation.

Bob Cosgrove

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name of the station pictured is Fort Street Union Depot. It served the C&O (Pere Marquette), B&O, PRR. Wabash and perhaps the DT&I, although its station was on West Jefferson on the Rouge River before Henry Ford built the Short Cut Canal. The PRR was a late comer to Detroit arriving in 1920 at Henry Ford's instigation.

Bob Cosgrove

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the better accounts of the PRR around Detroit can be found on MichiganRailroads.com. There's another report about the details concerning the costs and construction of the trestle undertaken by the PRR somewhere online, but I don't have its URL handy.

The_rock

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those interested in the National Model Railroad Association convention this July in Detroit, click on to www.nmra.com and you have their web site. I think the time that the general public is allowed into the convention to view all the models, exhibits etc. is at the end of the week, July 27 and 28. If you are a member, you get it all week.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channeling "Trainman"--"if Detroit still had these trains today all of the social ills would never have happened, the office buildings downtown would have never gone empty and the city would still be populated. Vote now for mass transit."

Douglasm

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad. For some reason I had the NKP coming into Detroit. A PA would still look good at Fort Street, though.....

Psip

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Us Lionel guys were always envious of the Flyer guys because they had that great looking Alco PA.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A pic for the train guys.

Built by Lima in 1917. Michigan Central RR # 8927. Sold to New York Central in 1936 and renumbered 7527. Retired/Scrapped 1955.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wabash had some PA-1s which looked somewhat similar to the NKP PAs.

I actually found a photo very similar to the original of a night view of a Wabash PA-1 at Fort Street Union Depot. Another super cool so-sad-its-gone-now photo. Click the link below:
http://wabash-railroad.com/ima ges/Diesels/ALCO/WB01053O-w.jp g

The_rock

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to get a REAL feel for this thread, listen to Willie Nelson's recording of "The City of New Orleans" while reading it from top to bottom.
Not quite the sound of a AT-6 radial engine on start up, or the #2 engine of a B-26 and that Pratt and Whitney double wasp 2800, but SO close to both.
7th heaven,baby!!
The Rock (almost a kid again)

Danjo444

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, I second that emotion! Love those trains -- and train songs -- for so many reasons. My great, great... uncle Pete was a train engineer engineer from about 1920-1935, and during the Great Depression he would take his 1919 "The Gibson" archtop guitar into bars and honkeytonks along the route when stopped to earn extra nickels. Glad to say I inherited the the guitar. Me and my buddies are (slowly) working on a home recording project of train songs in his honor. We'll probably take about 20 songs from the following list. (Forgive me..it's long. Just a sketchy list, complete with abbreviations and mistakes. But some great songs, many of which give me goosebumps when I hear them.

This Train is Bound for Glory - W. and A. Guthrie
Nine Hundred Miles – W. Guthrie
Last Train (for Glory) – A. Guthrie
Silver Ribbons – Waylon Jennings
I've got a thing about Trains - Johnny Cash
Choo Choo Mama – 10 Years After
Ghost Train – Justin Sullivan
Midnight Train – Vince Gill
Mainliner – Little Esther
There's a Train, Train Song – Holmes Bros.
That Train – Jerry Butler
Choo Choo Ch' Boogie - Louis Jordan
Texas & Pacific (TP Special) – Louis Jordan
Lonesome Train Whistle – Rev. Horton Heat
Train to Nowhere – Savoy Brown
Train Hoppin' – Jack Johnson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whole Albums
1. My Love Affair with Trains – Merle Haggard
2. Tracks & Trains – Hank Snow
3. Railroad Man – Hank Snow

Album Samplers
1. The Jimmie Rogers Story – Hank Snow
2. Forty Great Folk Songs Box LP set
3. The Last Ride – Hank Snow

Lonesome Whistle Blowin’- Hank W.
Wabash Cannonball – Hank Snow
Train Train – Blackfoot
You Pass me By – Hank
Freight Loader – Clapton, Page, Beck
Train Man – Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Last Car of the Train – The Fugue
Death of a Train – Daniel Lanois
Train Kept a Rollin'–Yardbirds, Aerosmith
Night Train – Steve Winwood
She Caught the Katy – Taj Mahal
Mean Old Frisco Blues – Clapton
Down bound Train – Chuck Berry Train
Midnight Special - Odetta
Hear My Train A Comin'–Hendrix (elec)
New Delhi Freight Train-Little Feat
Train Insane – Trains Can’t Stop
All down the Line – Rolling Stones
Delaware Stomp – G Thoroughgood
Wreck at Kiowa Creek – Brian Burns
Lincoln Town – John Hyatt
C'mon Train – Lloyd George
Runaway Train – Soul Asylum
Funeral Train – U. Utah Phillips
This Train is bound for Glory - Joel Rafael
Ramblin' Reckless Hobo-Joel Rafael
5:15 – Chris Isaak
Downbound Train–Bruce Springsteen
Lonesome Train – JJ Cale
Silver Train – Stones
Glendale Train – New Riders of the Purple Sage
Mystery Train – Junior Parker, Elvis
I'm Movin' On–Hank Snow, Les Paul/M.Ford /Ray Charles
My Baby thinks he's a Train-Roseanne Cash
Blue RR Train – Doc Watson
Detroit City – Bobby Bare
Stop that Train – The Wailers
King of the Road – Roger Miller
Folsom Prison Blues – Johnny Cash
One after 909 – Beatles
Casey Jones – Woody Guthrie
Sunnyland – Elmore James
End of the Line – Wilburys
Last Train to Clarksville-Monkees
City of New Orleans – Arlo Guthrie
People Get Ready–Curtis Mayfield
Smokestack Lightnin' – Howlin' Wolf
Trains – Al Stewart
Desperados Waiting for a Train-Guy Clark
Special Streamline – Bukka White
Tain Don't Leave – Richard Thompson
All Aboard – Muddy Waters
Train Song – Dick Siegel
Ramblin' Blues – R. Johnson, R. Rogers
Last/Steam Powered Trains – Kinks
Empire State Express – Rory Ghallager, Son House
Love in Vain – RJ, Stones
Orange Blossom Special – J. Cash
Freedom Train – Lenny Kravitz
Train #2-J Spencer Blues
Whiskey Train – Procol Harem
Me and Bobby McGee– Kristofrson
Train Round the Bend-Velvet Und.
Worried Man Blues–Cisco Houston
Train in Vain – Clash
Refrigerator Car – Spin Doctors
Rock Island Line – Johnny Cash
Jesse James - Grandpa Jones
Night Train – J Brown/B Womack
Whait Train – Paul Kelly
Catch a Train – Free
Everybody Loves a Train-LLobos
Jumping s-elses Train – Cure
Groovy Train – The Farm
Train-Uncle Tupelo
Crazy Train – Ozzie Osbourne
Long Black Train- Lee Hazelwood
At the SoundoftheSignalBell-Jesters
Train Long Suffering- Nick Cave
Dixie Flyer – Randy Newmann
Last Fair Deal Gone – R. Johnson
Mean Eyed Cat – Johnny Cash
Train of Memories – Kathy Mattea
Fast Train-Bobby Parker
Ghost Train – Counting Crows
Say Yes 2 Mich.-Sufjan Stevens
Here comes your man – Pixies
Dead Grammas on a Trn-Thin W Rope
Two Trains Running – PBBB
That Train Don't Stop…Los Lobos
Broke Down Engine-BlindWillieMc
Night Train - Ken Patrick
Hey Porter - Johnny Cash
Midnight Special – CCR
Train to Skaville - Ethiopians
Engine 54 - Ethiopians
Black Train - Gun Club
Train in G Major- Lindisfarne
Hellbound Train – Savoy Brown
I Often Dream of Trains R Hitchcock
Slow Train – Dylan
Unholy Train – Damnation TX
Train Underwater – Bright Eyes
Jump That Train – Foghat
Long Train Running – Doobie Bros.
Train a Travlin – Dylan
Party Train – Love Tractor
This Train Won't Stop – Traffic
Nobody cares about railroad-H Nilsson
Last Train to London – ELO
Stay Away (White Train) – The Fall
Tied to the Tracks-Treat Her Right
Freight Train Boogie–Doc Watson
Freight Train, Freight Train- PPM
Georgia on a Fast Train-BilyJo Shaver
Waitin for the Ghost Train--Madness
Steel Rails - Alison Krause
Five Hundred Miles – Kingston 3
Click Clack – Captain Beefheart
All Night Train – Allman Brothers
Night Train to Memphis–JLeeLewis
Long Twin Silver Line – Bob Seger
Rock 'n' Roll Pain Train – Kid Rock
Can’t Stop a Train – Derailers
Stop this train – Kevin Ayers
Gone Dead Train – Nazareth
Train of Love – J.Cash, Dylan (live)
Slow train - Staple Singers, Dylan
Still a Fool – Muddy Waters
Fast Train – Van Morrison
Many a Man Killed on theRRJoeGlazer
Choo Choo – Memphis Slim
Big Train - Tommy Faile
Blue Train - Johnny Cash
Mail Train - Billy Joe Tucker
This Train - O.C. Holt
Devil's Train - Eric Sardinas
Rasta Train - Raphael Green
Graveyard Train – CCR
It takes a lot to laugh…- Dylan
Backsliders - Train Wreck
Train - Train
Too Too Train Blues-Big Bill Broonzy
Black Train - Randy Thacker
Telegraph Road- Dire Straights
Train Ride - Lyle Lovett
Train Fare Blues – Muddy
Rail Song, Swingline-Adrian Belew
Railroadin’ Some – Rory Block
Freight Train – Elizabeth Cotton
Mourning Train – Wallflowers
Leavin’ Train – Gillian Welch
Train- Lonnie Brooks
Rumble Train- Mighty Lemon Drops
Station to Station – Bowie
Train Song- Tom Waits
Let’s ChooChoo 2 Idaho–Phil Harris
Travelin' Blues–BlindWillieMcTell
Choo Choo Train – The Box Tops
Dr Zhivago’s Train – Nicolai Dunger
Waitin for a Train JL Lewis/JCash
Let the Train Whistle Blow-J Cash
Railroad Song - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Railroad Lady -- Jimmy Buffett
Cowboy Troy Chicken With Train
Jenny Dreamed of Trains-Vince Gill
Downtown Train-Waits,Stewart
At The Station - Joe Walsh
Lonesome Train-J Turner TBone
Freight Train Blues – Bob Dylan
Little Black Train – W Guthrie
Train Train – Billy Bragg
Daddy What's A TrainUtah Phillips
Glory Train - Don Baker
Driver 8 - R.E.M.
Big Train (Memphis)- Fogerty
Midnight Flyer – Eagles
Engine Engine #9 – Roger Miller
Train Time – Cream
Hitchcock Railway – Joe Cocker
Homeward Bound – S&Garfunkel
Train Man – Bob Seger
Let it Rock – Chuck Berry
Southern Pacific – Neil Young
Queen of the Rails–U. Utah Phillips
Here Comes That Train-Eddie Bond
Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Smoke along the track– Dwight Yokam

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. That's some list of train songs, but you missed maybe the greatest railroad-related album of all: "Good Though," by Utah Phillips from the late 1970's. About half the songs are originals by Phillips. This includes "Tolono," a perfectly evocative song about riding the last Wabash Cannonball from Fort Street Union Depot into Indiana on April 30, 1971. On that date I was on the last-ever GTW "Maple Leaf" between East Lansing and Battle Creek. Where was everybody on the day before Amtrak?

Phillips, incidentally, is still occasionally touring, singing songs of union organizing and other causes, and proselytizing for the IWW.

Danjo444

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, Aarne. Is that the album with Funeral Train, Daddy What's a Train, and Queen of the Rails? Those are on the list above, but I'll definitely add the album, and get a hold of it. Thanks!

Cambrian

Post Number: 877
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Johnny Cash's Rock Island Line!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one of my new favorite photos of Detroit...how cool! Thanks Danjo. Imagine having more than one major train station in the city. So cool.

Danjo444

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on there Camb...you're right. A must have.

Quinn, Mine too! I have a larger version, but I could not post due to size restrictions. If you're comfortable posting your email addy, I can send to you (as long as you don't use for commercial purposes, out of respect for copyright)

The_rock

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danjo--You get Uncle Pete's archtop Gibson, and I will grab my 000-21 Martin acoustical, and we can knock off a chorus of 'Bama Bound.
I say it's time to add sound to these threads, Lowell.

Danjo444

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

raht own, raht owwnnn, Rock. Hope you're better 'n me on the six strings.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 764
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question for the train guys. I know that the NYC operated passenger trains from Detroit north to Pontiac, Flint, Saginaw, Bay City and up to Mackinaw City through the mid 1960's. Did these trains depart and arrive at the Michigan Central station on Michigan Ave. or at some other station in Detroit?

Lstjstl
Username: Lstjstl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trains to northern Michigan did indeed use Michigan Central station. They'd head west out of the depot and then swing north near the Cadillac Clark Street plant, roll past GM building and cross Eight Mile just east of Mound Road. After running through Warren, they'd head through Rochester and then on toward Saginaw and thence up the middle of the state. Until the late 1940s or early 1950s there was even through-car service to Marquette via the railroad ferry across the Straits of Mackinac. For that matter, Bay City had through Pullman car service to New York via Detroit into the 1950s as well.

The_rock

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the train from Detroit to Mackinaw City a few times in the mid-50's. They had a run out of Detroit that left late on a Friday afternoon and ( if you were lucky),arrived in MC around midnight.
It was advertised as a way to get you to the North country without the long drive before I-75 was built. The Club car was very active.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That NYC passenger train service to northern Michigan used self-propelled Budd cars and IIRC, it was called the "Bee-liner". As a pre-teen, our family lived about one-quarter mile from the tracks and I can remember hearing its distinctive horn (and watching it off in the distance through our front window) as the northbound Bee-liner approached the 10 Mile Road crossing every weekday afternoon sometime between 5 and 6 pm. I think it ran until the mid-1960's. For some reason, I don't remember what time the daily southbound train came through that stretch.

Psip

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeG did it look like this? They are called RDC's

RDC

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's it! Besides the orange and white stripes, it also had a flashing, revolving yellow light on the roof that was very visible from a distance.

Psip

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RDC's traveled some rarely used routes, most without warning lights or gates. Every attempt was made to make them visible to crossing traffic.

Since this was the Jet Age, NYC tried to incorporate the new technology into their system.
Behold the Jet Powered RJC!

RJC

It is reported it reached a top speed of 183.681 MPH but took forever to get to that speed. Also the seats needed a serious cleaning and disinfectant after each run. It never made it out of the research lab.

(Message edited by PSIP on March 29, 2007)

The_rock

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW--I can't honestly recall what "pulled us" from Detroit to Mackinaw City as the memory fails ( my Gawd, that was a good 50 years ago), but it seems to me the name of the train was the "Timberliner" or something like that. It only ran during the summer and I only took the Fri afternoon train.
When I got to MC, my folks would meet me, but the journey was not yet over. We then drove back to Lewiston where our cabin was located. That took another hour and a half. I wish the train had a stop in Gaylord, but that was not the case.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, I think you are remembering the MICHIGAN TIMBERLINER, which ran Friday afternoons up to Mackinaw and then Sunday afternoons back south on summer weekends only. Apparently there were Pullmans on this train, too. Power was normally a GP9 after the mid 50s', I understand. This train ran into the mid 1960s, at least. This was a real train and not the Beeliner, but the Beeliner was the best known passenger run up the Bay City Line.

A great book to own is TRACKSIDE AROUND DETROIT DOWNRIVER 1946-1976 WITH EMERY GULASH by Jerry A. Pinkepank, and Morning Sun Books. The price is definitely worth the excellent all colors photos and the great historical research.

I'll see if I can find out more about the Beeliner. In the meantime, I can see my copy of TrackSide Detroit on the shelf and can answer any questions from the period if the book holds the answers :-)

The_rock

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well for some reason it does my heart good to know I was not pulled by the RDC! But I gotta admit that even the GP9 was not the prettiest of diesels to hit the rails. I would have much preferred a good old GT 4-8-4.
I have seen some of those Gulash books. He is a real railroad historian ( and photographer).
And I remember the days, before the Big Mac was built, when the Sainte Marie and the Chief Wawatam carried the freight cars out of MC to St. Ignace.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5108
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New York Central Wolverine and Twilight Limited leaving from Michigan Central Station on Track2.

Making stops at:

Dearborn
Ann Arbor
Jackson
Albion
Marshall
Battle Creek
Kalamazoo
Dowagiac
Niles
Cassopolis
Michigan City
Gary
Hammond
63rd Street
Chicago, LaSalle Station.

All Aboard, dining car in rear. Immediate seating.
ALL ABOARD!!!

Jackson

Cambrian

Post Number: 890
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can catch all those exact stops today if you take the Amtrak. Sorry no MC Station departure. Royal Oak will have to do. I recommend it, even if you're just riding from Pontiac to Dearborn. Seeing Detroit from the train is the coolest!

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "I've Been Working On the Railroad"?

"House of the Rising Sun"

Sorry for the negative bump...

Douglasm

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Chicago/LaSalle Street Station, either. Everything goes into and/or out of Union Station unless it's METRA.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5110
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, Douglasm. It's been a few yrs. back since jjaba took a steam train out of the MCS.

jjaba, Old timey Westsider.

Douglasm

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little research was in order here. If you took a NYC "steam train" out of MCS for Chicago, you probably landed at Central Station. The NYC didn't move to LaSalle until 1957.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 927
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MC and Big Four trains moved to LaSalle. The other NYC trains were already there.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know the song was around 60 or 70 years before the Wabash named the St. Louis-Detroit train after it(if you listen to the lyrics the W.C. was a train that went everywhere) Every railroad that could come to Detroit DID come to Detroit because back in the day this town was Money, one thing I miss is they've gotten rid of(swiped?) all the old "fallen flag" logo signs on the tracks running over the I-75...like that giant Norfolk & Western, or that cool New York Central logo they quit using in the late 1950's...Grand Trunk's was meh, same with Conrail I like the Detroit & Mackinac stuff(how far South did they run? were their tracks along thge GTW's?) & enjoyed seeing the Detroit and Toledo Shoreline yards on trips to Florida though

Jjaba

Post Number: 5113
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, does your AMTRAK train stop at 63rd Street anymore or must all Chicago passengers go into the Loop today from Detroit?

jjaba.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 893
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last Amtrak stop is Hammond, IN, if I remember correctly, and not all trains stop there. The ROW that Amtrak currently uses has a flyover over the Dan Ryan at about 63rd St., so there is no stop there. In fact, the only station on 63rd (aside from CTA) is the Metra Electric which stops at 63rd in the vicinity of Stony Island.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5122
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you know, several lines had 63rd St. stops in the old days. Passengers would get off there in a vacant wasteland and relatives who were sent to meet you would go to the wrong station. It was terrible to wait in such a strange place and no be picked up.

Trains leaving Chicago would pick-up passengers there also. No short-hop passengers were allowed off the trains.

jjaba thinks there were about 5 train lines with separate stations along 63rd St. in Chicago back then.

For sure, the Detroit NYC trains made a stop. jjaba used it from Detroit and from Kalamazoo in the 1940s to 1960s.

jjaba, riding the NYC from the MCS.

Douglasm

Post Number: 799
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba....
The NYC, Pennsylvania and Rock Island used Englewood (63rd Street).

For what it's worth, the active terminals in Chicago are LaSalle (METRA), Ogilvie aka North Western Terminal (METRA- ex. C&NW), Union (Amtrak) and Randolph Street (METRA, South Shore - ex. Illinois Central). The head buildings of both Randolph Street and North Western Terminal are both gone.....

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 484
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging by the number of respondents who have identified themselves as either railfans,historians, etc. Here's some information concerning this thread you may find of interest:

1.)First, the New York Central didn't run through Pontiac, that was the Grand Trunk Western.

2. Second, the NYC #M-497 Budd Company (that's the same Budd as was located in Detroit, but their car building facility was in Red Lion, Pa.)RDC-3 with the two jet engines off a B-36 set the world's speed record, still the U.S. speed record, in 1968 near Bryan, Ohio west of Toledo on what is one the longest stretches of straight track in the U.S.

The engineer was Don Wetzel of the NYC Collinwood labs in Cleveland, who spoke at the Michigan Central District of the New York Central System Historical Society meeting at the Detroit Historical museum three years ago.

3.) The 9th Michigan Railroad History Conference will be Saturday November 10th in the Owosso (Michigan) Health System Memorial Hospital autorium with an Afterglow and visit to the Steam Railroading Institute (Michigan State Trust for Railway Preservation/Project 1225) museum and locomotive repair shop. That's the home of former Pere Marquette/C&O 1225 which was used for the Polar Express art in the recent movie by the title.

I'll post conference details on a new thread in the next week or so.

Bob Cosgrove
Glancy Trains Curator,
Detroit Historical Museum

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Wetzel in front of M-497

He's a photo of Don Wetzel when he was with the New York Central's laboratories at Collinwood Yard in Cleveland,

Bob Cosgrove

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 303
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW.313

Douglasm

Post Number: 800
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an online book covering the topic by Hank Morris with Don Wetzel that the Midwest High Speed Rail Association posted on their website last week. It runs 44 pages with pictures, titled "The Flight Of The M-497.

You can print it out (or read it) at www.midwesthsr.org

Click on Library. It's the top posting on the library page.

I just found out about it courtesy of a posting on www.railroadforums.com

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 671
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more stops at Marshall, Cassopolis, Gary, 63rd, and the final stop is at Union Station.

Cambrian, I do have to agree that seeing Detroit via train is awesome. Went from New Center to Chicago a month ago and it was interesting to see the west side via train. Now if they could just speed the train up between Detroit and Dearborn (stupid track conditions...)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5126
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100, thanks for the update. jjaba will figure out to get to Cassopolis, Michigan another way.

jjaba's father once tried to give directions to Cassopolis, gave up trying to spell it, and said, "Oh what the hell, meet me in Niles."

jjaba, family heirloom joke.

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the train doesn't stop in Marshall anymore,unless you were on the join Bluewater Michigan Chapter National Railway Historical Society and Detroit Historical Society excursions to the Marshall Historic Home Tour in 2005 and 2006 aboard Amtrak.

Bob Cosgrove
Glancy Trains Curator,

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the train doesn't stop in Marshall anymore,unless you were on the join Bluewater Michigan Chapter National Railway Historical Society and Detroit Historical Society excursions to the Marshall Historic Home Tour in 2005 and 2006 aboard Amtrak.

Bob Cosgrove
Glancy Trains Curator,

Busterwmu

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look closely at the front windows on the "cab" of that M-497. Look familiar, EMD E and F unit fans? Perhaps like the the numberboards on that Wabash 1189 F7? Correct you would be :-)

63rd street in Chicago was known as Englewood and that is where the late afternoon race would begin on the parallel PRR and NYC lines as the Broadway Limited and 20th Century Ltd were scheduled to depart eastbound at the same time every day. Rock Island also had a stop here, and I recall another line did too, Nickel Plate maybe?

As another side note, apparently the old terminal of Dearborn Station (of Chicago) is still standing, devoid of tracks, now in use as a shopping mall? Dearborn, MI, of course, had a quaint station in the Michigan Ave/Monroe St area which was demolished in the late 50s and that was the end of that.

I'll be on Amtrak's Twilight Ltd. (I know they're all "wolverines" now but I prefer the old names) later this week coming in for the Easter Holiday.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5131
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Twilight Limited start at the same minute from Chicago and Detroit? Around 4:30pm?
That would be arrival at Kalamazoo at the same time. Oy veyesmere, that must have been a scene.
Not a problem today, trains never run on time.

Great post 372 Busterwmu. You described Englewood outbound trains perfectly. All the trainmen had white starched uniforms, pressed pants, and stood tall ready for the long journey. No commuters allowed off the trains at Englewood outbound.

jjaba, Station stop, Englewood, 63rd street, boarding only. Englewood.

The_rock

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Will passengers please refrain,
From flushing toilets while the train,
Is waiting in the station to pull out."

A great ballad, wmu. jjaba is fired up. Maybe you can use your influence and get him a job as a telegraph operator at the Kalamazoo station.

The thought of jjaba and a one-way telegraph is one for the rails, kinda scarey, actually.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5146
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar
as she glides along the woodland
oe'r the hills and by the shore.

Hear the rush of the mighty engine
hear the lonesome hobos call
he's riding through the jungle on the WABASH Cannon ball.

Now the Western states are dandies
so the Southern people say
from Chicago and St. Louis and Peoria by the way.
To the lakes of Minnesota where the rippling waters flow
No chances to be taken on the WABASH Cannon ball.

(With credit to Roy Acuff.)

jjaba.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 373
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, with the new Amtrak Schedules effective April 2, the Twilight Limited's (354 eastbound and 355 westbound) under Amtrak have a good chance of ending up at Kalamazoo at the same time, providing 355 is about a half hour late for their 8:56 arrival here and 354 is on time coming east for their 9:30 arrival. Throw in the high speed west of Kalamazoo and 354 is often 10 minutes early to Kalamazoo. Still, they will never both be in the station at the same time. It's still double track, but imagine the confusion of passengers when two trains are in the station. Having a locomotive on each end only complicates things :P I am always amused to see the people boarding a train for Detroit and looking TOWARD Detroit for their coming train. Then it sneaks up behind them. Good times. One train is held just outside the station for the first to complete their work before pulling in to solve this problem.

Jjaba and others ought to detour through the Kalamazoo train station sometime if they are coming this way. Restored all through last year to match it's original 1887 glory. Heavy woodwork restored, marble flooring, blocks taken from the same quarry as the originals, wrought iron railings and ticket counter. VERY respectable and excellent historical preservation work undertaken here.

Now arriving, eastbound train number 350, the Wolverine, from Chicago and intermediate destinations, boarding for Battle Creek, Jackson, Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Detroit, Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Pontiac. Final boarding call!

Cambrian

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday I checked out the Michigan Transportation museum in Mt Clemens. It resides in a restored 1859 GTW Passenger Station. There are excellent artifact displays inside. Especially the ones that talk of Detroit Department of Rail Way cars. I'm told their collection comprises of a Detroit PCC car. The tour guides are cross dressers, but don't let that wierd you out. Cool Museum!

Blueidone

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busterwmu...do they still have the shop in the Kazoo train station that sells the "cottage industry" goods? I forget the name of it...think it was run by a charitable organization. I bought stuff there maybe 12 to 15 years ago. Would love to go shopping there again.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be Amtrak-ing it from Chicago to Kalamazoo this fall for some football games. I'm looking forward to seeing the "new" station, it's been about 5 years since I've been in it.

And to corroborate what busterwmu said, there's not a chance of two trains in Kalamazoo at the same time. There's 2 tracks, but only 1 platform, on the EB side.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5151
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba remembers sitting on his suitcase enroute from Detroit to Kalamazoo after vacations, heading back to WMU, 1960. Infact, he went there because of the train service. Her took the Wyoming bus to the Michigan Ave., to the MCS.

With Ann Arbor students also in the aisles, we had quite a crowded time. After Ann Arbor, some room opened up but mostly, you never did get much of a seat on the NY Central trains.

For a taxi in Kalamazoo, the drivers would stuff us in like sardines, maximizing the fares but also getting us to campus quicker. jjaba lived in Ellsworth Hall all four yrs., 1959-63. His room there is now offices.

jjaba, WMU, class of '63. Good memories.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is still a concession/sundrie place in the Kalamazoo Station. Prior to the rehab, it was located in the historic bay window area. With the rehab complete, the Concessions are now located at the west end of the depot along Rose St. Looks like they've got quite a variety of things, but I rarely purchase there so I can instead support the onboard foodservice in the cafe car.

As for finding a seat, the Michigan Line Amtraks have gone to reserved status so in theory, everyone should have a seat while onboard. Ann Arbor is still the #1 busiest stop on the line in Michigan, followed by Kalamazoo. Thanks to us college hoodlums for keeping the seats full. I can remember some Sunday nights westward out of Detroit stopping at Ann Arbor and people will still be walking around at Chelsea looking for a seat. The conductors try to help but must also be collecting tickets. You have to be assertive and tell the guy who's asleep he needs to put his huge duffle bag somewhere other than the seat next to him. I am glad to get on in Dearborn and miss the "fun" entirely.

The cabbies in Kzoo still do the same thing - only instead of the stately Kalamazoo Checker Cabs, they are now minivans and the like in varying states and conditions. I usually just call ahead to a friend to come get me, but I've taken the taxi before.

Last night's ride on 354 was very pleasent. Arrived 15 minutes early into Kalamazoo and remained on time the entire way. Lots of people got off in Kalamazoo so our car was only about half full. Many got off in Jackson (unusual) and the usual number got off at AA, so by then, only about 8-10 people were in my car. Dearborn is the 3rd busiest stop on the line.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5194
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BusterWMU, thanks for the update on the AMTRAK service on the same line as the NY Central.
One big difference obviously is that the line terminates in Pontiac now in a nod to the suburbanization of riders and the absence of the Grand Truck RR service.

jjaba, WMU Class of 1963.

Psip

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a pretty decent map of Michigan rail lines.
http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/MDOT_Official_Rail_130897_ 7.pdf

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a snapshot of the Union Station from about 1946-- from my mother's photos.

Detroit Union Station abt. 1946

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos for any train buff! If anyone wants to actually get into an F7 Cab, the Nickel Plate and Mad River Museum in Bellevue, Ohio has a very nice museum. It's only about a three hour ride from Michigan. I took my wife and Grand daughter last summer. They have many loco's and other attractions there, I really enjoyed sitting in the engineer's seat of the Washbash F7, watching a Norfolk Southern Coal drag pass by on the main.

Every time my grand daughter sees one of my F7's on my layout or sees one in an train magazine, she says "Papa, we rode on that one"... She's only three years old.

The museum is not very expensive to go and spend some time enjoying trains.

Psip

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, could you add this thread to the Detroit's 2nd Terminal thread in the HOF?
There is a lot of good information here.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For an authentic E unit cab experience, try the National New York Central Railroad Museum in Elkhart, Indiana. They have NYC E8A #4085, the last leading locomotive of the 20th Century Limited on display and you can sit in the cab at the controls. Right next door is the Water Level Route mainline, with over 100 trains a day rolling past. It's a bit farther than Bellevue (3.5 hours or so from Detroit), but well worth the trip. They have a lot of NYC stuff, which is interesting considering the NYC was one of Detroit's best represented railroads, if not THE best represented. Not to overstep the Mad River museum, because they have a great collection too, but this is another opportunity if you are heading west. I actually hope to have an internship at the NYC Museum this coming autumn.

Psip

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 1961 GTW Schedule

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mipor thu/Watson/Watson_GTRS_30APR19 61.jpg

The_rock

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting the '61 GTW schedule, Psip. Lots of memories there as my dad took the GTW in and out of Detroit to B'ham for many years. The train even had a club car for the commuters.
I note the schedule lists Mr. Wichman as the Birmingham agent and I can remember him and his old-fashioned train telegraph in his office.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: