Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Brush Park Village North « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip City Living just updated their website and have posted a site plan and floor plans. I have the site plan and a aerial shot on my blog.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great that they have updated their website. However, are these units going to be in the newly constructed buildings or in the renovated buildings? It would have been nice of them to explain this fact. Also, what is a four level duplex. It looks like they are going to combine to existing duplexes and make it one big fourplex. Or is it simply four apartments, two above and below on one side and two above and below on the other side? Can someone help me out with this one?

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to figure that out too. from the site plan it looks like this phase only covers the north west section of that block. The development goes South as far as the alley, and only half a block East. It doesn't look like they are including the existing buildings in the development.

Is this a multi-phase development? Are they required to do any restorations like Crosswinds was?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they're going to be both new construction and rennovation I believe...drive around Erksine, tons of old buildings have hip city living signs on them

Suburbia
Username: Suburbia

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Brush Park Village North site plan is for the new construction only and is on the corner of John R/Erskine. There will be a second phase of new construction on the corner of Brush. The 4 level duplex is just one unit with a garden level, main level, second level and third level. The buyer that purchases that type of unit will own all 4 floors. The rehabs are owned by hipcityliving.com, however they are not the Brush Park Village North. They're getting ready to break ground in the next month.

Suburbia

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction to the 4 level duplex - it is a duplex building and each duplex contains the levels within their own unit as I described previously. I spoke with their sales manager and she was helpful. They're still working on cleaning up the site with info but wanted to get it launched.

Apbest

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

suburbia...are you involved with the project at all? do you know if any retail is part of this master plan

Suburbia

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No retail in the Brush Park Village North plans -that's strictly 26 NEW condos.

Apbest

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

since you made a distinction earlier between Brush PArk Village North and hipcityliving's other restorations I just want to be clear about what the larger plan exactly entails...anything in addition to the Village North new construction and the rehabs? those two things would really transform brush park even more

Suburbia

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a single family lot available on Erskine as well. Hipcityliving.com has also just signed a deal for an additional 2 rehabs on Mack with either rental or for sale units within the rehabs, and 6 - 10 new construction in the same area, and will be referred to as The Mack

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

suburbia; have any more info on that single family lot? meaning they're listing it for sale, or they're developing it?

Suburbia

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it will be sold with a home on it, whether they design the home or possibly someone with a plan already. has to meet historical style and size guidelines.

Royce

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Alfred Street between John R and Brush there are four to five homes with signs with their addresses on them, saying that the city owns these and that it will rehabilitate them. I have two questions. The first question is, "When will the city get around to redevelop them?" My second question is, "Does the city already have a developer in place to rehab these homes? There was some initial work done like roof repair to enclose them from the elements but nothing else had been done. I'd appreciate if someone could shed some light on this topic.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why were Watson and Edmund between John R and Brush closed?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Major Brush Park infrastructure enhancements near completion

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/brushpark77.aspx

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks to me that the only think left to do is sidewalk replacement on the east side of John R between Mack and Edmund. All streets are now open. They were closed due to infrastructure enhancements.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of the stipulations for crosswinds getting so much land in the area was that they preserve as many existing and/or historical structures as feasibly possible. crosswinds secured and stabilized (mothballed) all of these structures and put the signs up. i'm pretty sure that they will be the ones who further restore and sell them at a later date.

watson and edmund were closed down and turned into pedestrian malls in the early 80's (i believe) to stem the flow of people out of the area. obviously, that ultimately had the opposite effect.

Bpjeff

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, with all of the beautiful new sidewalks in the neighborhood, why to people still walk in the middle of the streets? I just don't get it . . .

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hip City Living" should fix their Website, it's hard to read with dark on dark printing and background.
Pedestrian malls never make it, viz. Chicago's State St, Lansing's Washington St.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 940
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's easier to watch your back when you're in the middle of the street.

Bpjeff

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought of that. It is also easier to get hit by a car!

Royce

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, since we're on extraneous topics, should John R and Brush remain as two way streets(which was done because of all the street closures and construction)or should they return to being one way streets, John R going south and Brush going east once major construction is done?

(Message edited by royce on March 16, 2007)

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you mean brush going north?

Apbest

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

two way

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two Way

Royce

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I meant Brush going north.

Bpjeff

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two way. They also should put up more stop signs on John R to slow down the traffic.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the project. So Brush Park north would be growing into Midtown and New Center? That will be nice when all three get completely renovated.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is now a rendering of the project on hipcitylivings homepage. I didn't find it all that impressive. I did laugh at the fact that they called once of their floor plans "The Johnson".

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So Brush Park north would be growing into Midtown and New Center? That will be nice when all three get completely renovated."

Brush Park ends at Mack. I'm not sure the legal or technical definition, but it always seems to be to be something of a sub division of Midtown. It's wholly within the Midtown boundaries, but well before new center.

Apbest

Post Number: 504
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is this rendering leland? the one on the home page has been up for a while

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest-

My bad if that's been up there for a while. I must have overlooked it while I was all caught up in the site plan.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Update* They have one final approval with the Historical Committee and anticipate breaking ground by the end of April.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got to be kidding me. One of the plans is called 'The Johnson'?
Wow... that is awesome.

Suburbia

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep - Johnson. Named after John Johnson, a graduate of Morehouse College and affiliate of Wayne State University. The Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity requested that the builder name their plans after members of the Kappa fraternity in honor of their leadership.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick side note. I just noticed that The Yale Building near the corner of Winder and Brush is now boarded up. It's always looked occupied until recently. Anyone know what's up?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I emailed them to see if this development was in my price range, but soon found out that there is a big jump between studio and one bedroom plans. Thusly, I will not be moving to Brush Park North.

Rfrankt
Username: Rfrankt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HipCityLiving is also rehabbing two homes on Mack Ave, across from the DMC, that may be in your price range.

Royce

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are any new single family homes going to go up in Brush Park? I would think that there should be a mix of condos, apartments, and housing in this area. To just build attached condos where someone lives above you or on the side of you is pretty limiting.

Also, I sincerely hope Crosswinds does not build any more of the style of condos that they built along Woodward. There are more than enough of those, which I clearly don't like. The three story ones aren't bad, however.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people would agree that those Crosswinds condos on Woodward north of I-75 were a mistake. Crosswinds did however do a better job on their Woodward complex north of Wayne State/Cultural Center/Midtown.

Suburbia

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually 1953, the jump isn't between studio and one bedroom, it looks like square footage. After shopping around, they're only $175/sq. ft. Everyone else in town is $200 - 225. Looks like the jump is for the extra 500 sq. ft.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: