Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Detroit Times?? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 10, 2007Gistok37 03-10-07  12:02 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936-

I'm not insulted. I went to Catholic school. We had phonics. I can read....and I won a spelling bee as well. I wouldn't have thought about a paper route then. I had a Detroit News route before they went to a morning paper....just a couple of years ago. I delivered USA and then I delivered The News. I had to make a decision when The News went to morning. I chose USA because of the week-ends off. After The News went to morning and the carriers were delivering both papers plus Wall Street etal, their pay was cut by 20%. I made the right decision. There has been word that The Detroit Newspapers single copy guys are supposed to be starting to deliver USA soon. That rumor has ben swirling around since I have been on the job. It just popped up again recently when the decision to print USA at Detroit Newspapers came up. Man, I hope not. And, will there be room for me as a single copy driver at DH if this happens? I hope so!! A cushy, union delivery job....their contract was up in February. They are negotiating for $21.00 an hour. Do I stutter??? They make $18.00 plus now TO START!!!PLUS BENEFITS!! But, of course, who knows if they won't kick out the union and make them all independents. It would be cheaper for them. You can't predict what they will do next.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 10, 2007)

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell and I lived between Lansing and Flint. I read the Free Press in the morning and the Lansing and Owosso papers in the afternoon. On Sunday we got the Times and News. Plus every week we got Collier's, Life, Look, and the Saturday Evening Post. We got National Geographic once a month so I could see boobs.
I was swamped with information overload before cable and the internet.
The cushy delivery job in our town was the Owosso paper because it was the smallest and didn't publish on Sundays or major holidays.
dave

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag, gonna be interesting to see how that works out. Got my fingers crossed for you!

I've always been a newspaper junkie anyway since I was a kid. Growing up during WW II with my brother and uncles in the Army, I got to reading the paper every day even when I was five years old. When I had the Times route, I remember getting yelled at to "quit reading the paper and get moving!" As Dave noted above, "I was swamped with information overload before cable and the internet". So true!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Times

Trucks

Trucks 2

Psip

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Masthead

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, look at those trucks!!! The guy next door to me has one similar to that right now. He still uses it.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4973
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures Psip. Thanks for the great nostalgic thread spiced with current info. from a real daily carrier.

jjaba, old newsboy.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I somehow feel, from the pain in my elbow from picking up stacks of papers with my right hand that my paper route is not unreal.

Old Newsgirl

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 10, 2007)

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag, where is the NYT printed in michigan? I had a sub with them for home delivery for a trial. I didn't realize the local detroit paper carriers deliver the WSJ until I received a gift sub for the WSJ. My local carrier is great....

Ray1936

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos!

Jjaba

Post Number: 4977
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

William Randolph Hearst bought the Detroit Times in 1921.

Joe Falls, Sportguy and Tigers reporter, worked for Detroit Times 1956-60. Then, Detroit News 1960-78. He died at age 76 in Detroit.

Detroit Times last published, Nov. 1960.

jjaba, Old newsboy, Northlawn/Schoolcraft area.
1953-57.(Grand River-Washburn Station)

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the Old Newsboys and Newsgirls.

Ookpik

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, jjaba,

Joe Falls wrote for the Free Press from 1960-'78. In 1978 he jumped to the Detroit News, and worked there virtually to the end.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ja1mz-

Sunday is not a good day to ask that question....considering that I don't know the answer to either. But, I called the Free Press/Detroit News sub-station in Sterling Hgts., and the fellow who answered told me that The Wall Street Journal was printed in Bowling Green, Ohio and was trucked up here every day. He tried to tell me that The New York Times was printed in New York and trucked here, and I had to stop him and he admitted that he didn't know. I'll ask my boss tomorrow. I deliver 200 New York Times to Oakland University M-F. They are dropped off to me at Chrysler Tech by Lutz News Service. This service handles single copy of a variety of newspapers to hotels, stores etc. To Chrysler Tech they deliver, Macomb Daily, New York Times, Crains Business, and The Wall Street Journal. If anybody else knows where the NYT or WSJ is printed in this area, please post.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 11, 2007)

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After Sunday deliveries on ANY newspaper...Thank God there is only one Sunday in a week. I am sure you all agree! If you happen to be a "carrier".

(Message edited by 14509glenfield on March 11, 2007)

Ja1mz

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag,thanks for the info!....

Jjaba

Post Number: 4980
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft, good correction. Thanks.
jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4981
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Falls was inducted into the Scribes and Mikemen of the Baseball HOF in 2002. He covered 5,000 baseball games plus countless other sports.
He had a great sense of fairness, and after criticising somebody, was available in the clubhouse after the next game.

He wrote a regular column in the Sporting News.

Joe Falls reported sports for 58 years. He worked for the Associated Press in New York, then the Detroit Times, the Free Press, and the Detroit News.

jjaba.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a 1957 Detroit Times football schedule that listed the Lions, UM, MSU, and UofD. I gave it to a buddy years ago after he said he would frame it for me. Haven't seen it since.

Psip

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who did Doc Green and Ray Girradin work for?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4982
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al t, what do you expect from Coleman Young, curbservice?

jjaba, lol.

Pffft

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doc Greene worked at the Detroit News, for sure.

Never heard that he'd been at the Times before. Not sure about that.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Doc Greene moved from the Detroit Times to the Detroit News in 1957. Ray Girardin covered the police beat for the Detroit Times. I'm not sure what he did between 1960 when the Times was purchased by the Detroit News and 1963 when he became Police Commissioner. The story of how Doc Greene was fired by the Detroit News is interesting in itself.

"He had a great sense of fairness, and after criticising somebody, was available in the clubhouse after the next game." This quote was in reference to Joe Falls that Jjaba posted

Jjaba, some may take issue with Joe Falls and fairness. Joe Falls was the only member of the Detroit media Duffy Daugherty at MSU went to his grave hating. Rocky Colavito and Falls did not get along very well either while Colavito was with the Tigers. Falls came up with the RNBI statistic for the Rock, Runs not batted in and that made Colavito irate seeing it in the paper. Then again, Colavito could not get the run in from third base with two outs to save his own life.

(Message edited by Whithorn11446 on March 11, 2007)

Pffft

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw somebody way earlier stated that the Times was publishing until '66 or '67, and nobody corrected that.

The News took the Times over, lock stock and desk chairs, in 1960. They cherry-picked a lot of Times staffers too. For a while it said "incorporating The Detroit Times" at the top of the News masthead.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ja1mx-

I e-mailed my boss today with the questions of where The New York Times and Wall Street Journal were printed in this area and he didn't e-mail me back. I'll try again tomorrow. Good help is hard to find.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The times specialized in sensationalism. Go to the microfilm room of the Detroit Public Library to view past issues.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Times was printed in Lansing when I interned there in 1999 or 2000. Not sure if they lost that contract. It's a very lucrative contract to have. So is USA Today, which is owned by Gannett, the company that now owns the Freep.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New york times is printed in Ann Arbor.

http://www.nytco.com/company-p roperties-times.html#nyt

by the way, this has been a great thread. thanks for sharing, everyone.

Pffft

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep the Times would print bloody photos of the Purple Gang, while the News would not.

A lot of the photo negatives the Reuther Library got from the News, are from the Times (if they contain blood and are of gangsters).

Jjaba

Post Number: 4996
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hearst papers tended towards the unions. The Detroit Times was quite sypathetic to the UAW, etc.
If it bleeds, it leads also.

jjaba.

Ja1mz

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr-Thanks for the info..

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Press Paperboy here. Up at 0400 every morning. Did my Collecting on Friday and Sat. Wed & Sun were the largest papers. Sometimes they were too big to fold. 64-90 customers (never hit 100). Still have my saddle and sling bags. I used my bike, a wagon, and Dad w/car when winter temps got too cold. I remember folding a paper while riding a bike with no hands and hitting the door on the porch going at a brisk speed. I guess getting up early, dressing for the weather, being on time, and working out doors prepared me well enough for military service.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt
I did the night FREE PRESS. Our gang, carriers, (neighborhood kids) played stupid games and pestered the corner store owner until he closed. The store was the drop for 4-5 routes by the DM. How many..eh doors did you rattle to beJesus? How much did you sell your route for? I only had 55 tops! Believe me, since I've been in weather, but not in the military. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! Anti-Iraq...YUP

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt-

I drive and fold papers with both hands. I used to hang my bag sleeves on my rear view mirror but this obstructed my view, and pulled off my rear view mirror (that was a drag....it's hard to keep the mirror glued on the windshield after this). The only draw back is when you need a front-end alignment. As I said before....most of the routes are adult. The only one that has kid carriers anymore is The Daily Tribune in Royal Oak. We don't sell routes anymore. You just give your notice and it is given to the next guy by the paper. I wish that I could sell my route....for the money, that is when I decided to do so. I like my route. I do the Metro Times on Wednesday as well. This is a good route. I pick-up at ADS in Madison Heights. All of the bundles are in 25's and they don''t tally more than 25-50-75-100-125-150 in any particular place. so, no 52's or 71's etal. They go in boxes, malls, and schoiols....colleges to be exact. It doesn't pay bad. I make $90.00 and it takes 4 hours, but I drive to Novi from Sterling Hgts. It was the only route that was available at the time. I subbed for about 4 months before I got the permanate route. I can transfer if one becomes available closer to my house. For one day a week, it's not bad.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 13, 2007)

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr-

Thanks for that info on The New York Times. I am still waiting for my boss to get with me. I guess The Wall Street Journal is printed in Bowling Green Ohio. I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag...
Question for you!
380 home deliveries, 2/3 of those are in "tubes". The others are condo, TH's, Apts. close tosses (porch,screen door). 100 go to a hospital drop everyday. Sundays I have to do the inserts (Painintheass)at the hospital. Total papers approx. 480. Time 2 1/2 hours week days. 3 3/4 Sunday. Rounded off $70 @ day. Fair?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5006
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Ladyinabag ever "door 'em?"
Back in our Detroit Times days, Ray1936 and jjaba doored 'em. Now that's real service. Nothing worse than a soggy paper after a long day at Fords.

jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we door'd 'em. Didn't have plastic baggies back then. If a customer complained about a soggy read, the station manager would be all over your butt. Slipped on a lot of icy stairs in the winter, too, but we were indestructible at that age.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're not alone, I doored them to.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Times delivery folks appear to have been dedicated in their task of keeping their customers well taken care of.
I venture to say that more copies of the Detroit Shopping News found their way to open fields than they ever did to customers' doorsteps.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5011
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor was that Detroit Shopping News carriers were paid to dump papers, just as long as they didn't get caught. Rolled up, they made good fuel in our coal stove. The Rock kept a lotta people warm in winter. Thanks.

jjaba.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509glenfield-

Sounds like the Source to me. The biggest rip-off in town....too much work for not much money. I did The Source for one week-end. Every house got a paper UNLESS you see a Macomb Daily in the driveway. Which means they prefer you to follow the Macomb Daily carrier. Which also means that they want you to start at about 4:00 AM....even though they say that you have all week-end to do the route. You have to collate your own ads and insert them into the papers They give you your first bunch of ads on Thursday. They give you your papers on Friday. Then you have to bag them. Were talking about 700 papers here to walk this big section avoiding The Macomb Daily. How much does it pay....? $70.00. I did this for one week-end. This was in good weather. I could imagine if we had about 10 inches of snow, walking from place to place. By the time I was done, my legs and feet were so sore I had to rest for two days. I was doing home delivery when I was doing the Tribune and Detroit News. With The Tribune they all have to go on the porch or where the customer specifies. The News, they go at the end of the driveway whether the customer specifies or not. This is why I will never take the News or Free Press home delivery again. They don't even tie a knot in the bag if it rains....even if you call and request AND TIP for it. With USA I put the papers where the cusatomer wants them. Even though it's not home delivery. USA is a class act. All of the district managers have college degrees. You can't get in unless you have a degree. We have a guy who just came on recently who was the manager of a Detroit Newspapers sub station. He came on as an overnight, repair manager.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 15, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, what the hell is an overnight repair manager on the newspaper route?

Detroit Times carriers in Detroit doored 'em and there were no plastic bags. Period. "End of driveways?" What the hell kind of service is that?
jjaba wouldn't take the paper either.

It was really nice delivering the Detroit Times after school. The housewives would come out and thank you for the paper, give you a cookie, a cold drink on a hot day, sometimes even pay you a day early since they saw you. As a Detroit Times carrier, you also covered for the others, picking up papers out of bushes, awning roofs, or side drives.

It was also an obligation to clean up after Detroit Shopping News freaks like The Rock who dumped more papers than cockaroaches had babies.

jjaba.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba-

He's the guy that fixes the newspaper boxes etal in case somebody tries to break-in. Our boxes have batteries. As soon as it got to be 10 degrees, eight of my boxes went out of commission. Dragness, Agnes!!(I made that up) These guys keep the boxes running smooth. They also train new carriers. We train for a whole week before we go out alone. This "end of driveway" thing is the latest for The News and Free Press. I swear to God. I will never take home delivery again. Besides, you can get the paper at CVS for .25 for a daily and.99 for a Sunday. Better deal.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 16, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5026
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

End of driveways is no service. Maybe they're scared of the search lights, security cameras, and Pit bulls. Lady, thanks for the explanation about vending boxes. jjaba prefers to buy the paper in a store although some asshats charge salestax for the paper so costs more inside.

I love USA Today. Love to read it in libraries all over the world. You get just enough info. without the fluff. jjaba likes the states paragraphs, mostly obscure stuff nobody cares about. He likes to guess where Michigan towns are located. True, batteries don't work in cold. They took a manual system and made it electric? What's next, electric toilet?

jjaba.

Scottr

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not any of the Detroit papers, and certainly more recent than many of the memories related here, i'm reminded of when I delivered papers for the Flint Journal when I was a kid. none of this 'driveway' crap, my customers hardly had to step out of their door. some had boxes, those who didn't, got TIED bags if there was any chance of rain or snow. if 'dooring' means putting between a storm door and the regular door, most didn't have a storm door, so i didn't usually have that option. even then i would often put them in bags. scottr didn't take no chances with losing a customer.

One grouchy old man even insisted on paying for the past week, rather than for the next month like he was supposed to. gave some excuse that he didn't pay his electric bill ahead of time, why should he pay me ahead of time. going through my mind is 'whatever you cranky old bastard, just gimme my money' but i kept a smile and agreed. he didn't tip through the year, but gave me great christmas tips. taught a kid that if you treat the customer right, they'll treat you right. I remembered that when i went to retail too, where one customer called Penney's headquarters to say i was 'more helpful than the Nike Corporation' when she called to see if we carried a specific coat. good life lessons from delivering the paper.

when i found out the husband of one of my elderly customers had gone in the hospital, i came to shovel her drive without her even asking. she offered to pay me, but i wouldn't take it - it was an unsolicited service, to me that would have been wrong, especially since she was already my most generous tipper. instead, she baked me a loaf of (very delicious) bread. i couldn't turn that down, i think it would have broken her heart. from then on, i often had a loaf of bread awaiting me when i delivered the paper.

Lucky for me most paid direct to the journal by that time, i only had a few i had to collect from, and i rarely had to even knock for them. They were usually waiting for me with their payment and a nice tip. some wanted me to collect just so that they could be sure to tell me what a good job i was doing, and so they were sure i got a tip, not trusting enough to send a tip through the journal (which the journal actually handled well, no complaints from me). like jjaba, some also gave me cookies, cold lemonade on a hot day, and one of my favorites was when the last house on my route invited me in for hot chocolate on a particularly cold day. i was incredibly thankful because i still had quite a walk back home. I was lucky to have great customers, so i was sure to return the favor by taking care of them.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5029
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr 413 is excellent post. Thanks, from the heart. Good service is learned and the rewards are endless.

Sounds like you walked the route. If so, that's huge.

jjaba would recommend a paper route to any kid but not really early in morning. That puts too much stress on your day at school.

As a parent of any youth in the workforce, bank every penny of their wages. Give them an allowance so they can enjoy the accumulation of capital for their future, like saving for college.
They'll need it for later. You already budgetted for your children, don't make the kids pay too early. Allow them to see their savings work for them.

jjaba.

Scottr

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the kind words, jjaba. Thanks to you for sharing your stories as well. Brings back memories.

Yes, most of the time i did walk the route. I tried my bike, but found it actually took me longer, trying to respect my customers lawns and not leave tire marks across them. It wasn't a large route, about a mile for the route itself, and then a half mile home - the route was shaped like a C, with my house on one end. Except on Sundays, I could squeeze all my papers into two bags, and with a large amount of customers in the first quarter mile, get it down to a more manageable level quickly and not have to walk back for more. Sundays and Thanksgiving were much more work, of course. But not a bad route at all, actually. I too would recommend a route to kids, but i'd agree, no way a morning route. luckily mine was afternoons during the week, and morning on weekends and holidays.

It did get more difficult near the end of my days as a paperboy to get them out on time as I became more involved in more after-school activities, and eventually handed it over to my brother, giving him the opportunity to learn those lessons in hard work. I think it helped him even more, because before taking on the route he was just an average C student. Afterwards he became a much harder worker at everything, eventually going on to get a bachelors in engineering and an MBA from Notre Dame, and a masters in engineering from Syracuse, and does very well for himself now. I like to think I helped a bit in that, giving him a high standard to live up to with that route.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr 413-

This was the kind of route I did when I was with The Daily Tribune. I had 500 customers....a lot of widows. When Valentines Day would roll around, I would go to Target and get some little candy package for the ladies. You have no idea how this was appreciated. They all tipped me well, and I felt that it was the least that I could do. I did the same at Easter and any other "Hallmark" days. There was many a stray dog that I put in my car and took over to this very nice ladies yard until I could find its owner. There were dogs that would walk up to my car and just jump in. I always carried dog snacks and cat food just in case.

Jjaba-

USA Today, as I said before, is a class act. It is Mon-Fri with the week-ends and holidays off. If you are interested, I can hook you up. There is a route that is available NOW in my district. Let me know.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5030
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lady. jjaba has retired.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So has Ray1936.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RETIRED!!!!???? What's up with you guys???? How can anybody just sit and do nothing???? I just can't. I start getting FAT (ter), and overly emotional. I can't imagine myself ever not working....unless I win a lottery, that is (LOL). It's nice that youse guys can afford it. I don't have my social security yet. It's not going to be enough anyway. I don't have a pension.....not unlike some other people that took care of business when they were young. I was immortal when I was young. I still am. Everybody else is going to die but me. I just know it. Anyway, calling all experienced newspaper carriers who want to make some extra bucks. USA Today has a available, SMALL, route. Probably not any more than two hours. Let me know.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5034
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, this ain't an employment agency.
Ray1936 served with his life and is on a Police Pension.
jjaba was a Univ. professor for 30 yrs. and got him a pension too.

We appreciate younger workers like you contributing to Social Security and Medicare.
Merci, kisses, thank you, gracias.

You've gotta have a little mazel
And Mazel, it means luck.
And if you've gotta little mazel
You're surly gonna make a buck...
(You can invent your own tune.)

jjaba, Detroit Times carrier.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this ain't the broadway stage here either, Mr. "I don't have to work". But, great show tune. I can see Bette Midler doing this tune in the bath houses as we speak. And, it's not about luck. It's about who you know. If I may ask, what did you teach in college? And, by the way, I am no spring chicken. I am 62.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 18, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, you're a spring chicken in my eyes. Everything is relative.

By the way, after I retired from the DPD I took a job in private industry for 20 years until I retired for good. Thanks to that I also get SS and Medicare. Since the C of D is slashing their health insurance benefits to retirees, you can't imagine how glad I am to be covered primarily by Medicare now.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5037
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba was a professor of social work. He credits his work as a newsboy for so many lessons about work, reliability, getting along with other workers, customer service, collecting money, paying his bill every Saturday, tips, and Goyim who tipped jjaba like he was an Alterboy at St. Brigits.

Since Detroit is a United Nations, jjaba was introduced to many cultures and ways of living just by interacting with Detroit Times customers.
Detroit provides residents with great tolerance for others, something that is missing in many American places to live.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COOL!! I always got good marks in sociology without studying. I was a kind of a natural....Shixa (Shicksa, Goyimnita) that I am (LOL).

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray-

If the 1936 after your name is your date of birth, I can see why you may think that I am a spring chicken....more like a crazy chicken, to be exact. There are a lot of little insurances available for little or next to nothing. JC Penney has a dental, optometry, and a couple of other things (I am having a senior moment) for $6.95 a month. I am hearing that Macomb and Oakland County has a dental insurance. I have prescription coverage with Macomb County. Try your Health Dept. There are all kinds of free stuff that seniors can get....all of your preventative inoculations for sure. I better stop before somebody yells at me for being off subject.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5039
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, no threadjacking.

jjaba, LOL.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lady, your observation is correct; 1936 was the Olympics in Berlin, the abdication of the British Crown, and the birth of Ray1936. Was also a year of record heat that summer in Detroit. Interesting year, I quite enjoyed it.

Wife and I get our flu/pneumonia shots for free at the local county health department thanks to medicare, and amazingly, I am in perfect health so all is well. Only pills I take are a daily vitamin supplement. (knock on wood)

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray-

Vitamins take up my body temp., so I don't take anything. I come from a family of centurions as well...both of my grandfathers and my uncle Mike were policemen.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We still have our Detroit Times Cookbook from 1934! "A Book Of Practical Recipes for the Housewife" says the inside cover. Sure beats keeping all those clippings.

(Duct tape dates from the 1970s and not included in original publication.)

Detroit Times Cookbook 1934

Jjaba

Post Number: 5148
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful Detroit Times heirloom. jjaba wishes he had kept his Detroit Times newsbag. A brand spanking new one would really be nice to show off, more so than some 1945 Detroit Tigers World Series program.

jjaba does have his very own Detroit News editions of the 1964 day Kennedy was Shot.

jjaba.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba
Check out your Detroit News...1963 for JFK.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the "Bulldog"?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5165
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba errored. JFK was gunned down in 1963.

jjaba sold Detroit Times Bulldogs at the back of the Sears-Oakman store as patrons were going to their cars in the gigantic parking lot back there.
1953-57.

jjaba, old newsboy.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone else have any more picture? those are really sweet.

Concon
Username: Concon

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe that the DETROIT TIMES, which came into existence late, has only these two lisitngs in WCAT, OCLC:

Title: Detroit times Accession Number: 34383086

Libraries with Item: "Detroit times."( Record for Item | Get This Item )Location Library Local Holdings Code
US,MI DETROIT PUB LIBR 1958-1960 EYP
US,MI LIBRARY OF MICHIGAN 1958-1960

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have an old copy of that Times that can tell me what the building's exact address was? I know it was at Cass and Times Sq. Addy should be on Page 2 near subscription rate info.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Psip and Hornwrecker, do you remember where you got those Times photos? I'd love to get bigger versions of them for the history I'm compiling on the building.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel I've told this story before...but here goes again...I knew a woman when I was a kid who told me a story about watching the demo from her office at Michigan Bell. She said the wrecking ball bounced off the side of the Detroit Times building numerous times before it even made a dent. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore!

Now we've got a building which utilizes tent technology as its major architectural feature to replace our views in Times Square.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: