Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » This city never ceases to amaze... « Previous Next »
Archive through February 27, 2007Kathinozarks30 02-27-07  10:21 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still trying to figure out why this "city never ceases to amaze" Mackinaw. what exactly was so amazing about what he posted?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had pretty good food at The Old Place and one very cool valet attendant.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather, William Millar and then my father, William Jr., owned the Grosse Pointe Beer Store (green awning in picture,between Alter and Wayburn)from 1930 or so until my father's death in 1989. There are two flats upstairs and they (Nana, Papa and daddy and his sister) lived in one for a number of years before buying a house on University off Warren.

Here's what my mom just told me on the phone. She's been talking to the GP City guys and they plan on tearing down the buildings from the Deck Bar to Maryland.
The large, black roofed, gray building on the corner of Wayburn and Jefferson was at one time (mid century era) Verdonckt's Bakery, next door was Bill Taylor Florist, then Grosse Pointe Beer Store, then a chinese laundry that my grandfather Bill Millar bought around 1970 to expand the Beer Store.
In the basement of the chinese laundry a dirt floor room had floral wallpaper and we were amazed that the owners or their family used to live down there.
Mom says that she thinks next door to that was a beauty shop called Vi's. Could be wrong on that.

I have an old bowling shirt with a girl in a martini glass on the back from the Deck Bar. It is classic!
Some years ago we gave the owner our wooden upright piano and I sure wish I knew where that darn thing is.
Anyone remember Pete Moore's Bar? It was in the block between the bus turn around and Maryland. The white with black awning one.

There was a little restaurant with spinning stools, subway tiled walls and tile floor where the busses exited onto Jefferson. (you can still see the footprint). Coffee and little burgers. I remember it well. What was it called? Was it a White Castle? I don't think so... That's where we went to catch the bus to downtown.

So, they plan to tear it all down. I think it's ok. Things change, people come and go.
Families were raised on the earnings from the businesses and we are all going our own ways. The memories will also go when we do.
At least we have pictures of the old days!
Thanks for letting me go on so :-)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 757
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath-
I think the burger joint was Tower hamburgers, but that was quite a while ago...the memory fades.

I don't think it's OK that GPP would tear down this block of buildings, especially if there is no viable plan for new development. These are old, yet still viable buildings (certainly in need of some updating). If a developer was in line to rebuild the block and had a viable plan, that would be acceptable (maybe, depending on the plan). For the City to demo the block w/o any idea of what would happen next, especially in the current economic climate; the property might sit vacant, and an eyesore for many years to come.
As an income property owner in GPP, I object to this use of taxpayer funds that may actually harm the fabric of the neighborhood in the long term.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tower sounds like it, Rrl. Thanks.

I understand how you feel about the property. I would feel the same way if I were you.
What have you found out about the proposed usage of the area after demolition?
We decided to sell in 1989 because the entire family felt it wasn't a good investment in any kind of future.
I suppose the Deck facade and a couple of others are salvageable, but what do you do with them? I've been inside the Party store one and it isn't all that fabulous for rehab or anything.

Remember, this was our family store and I would even be emotionally attached to it for whatever reason. I thought about continuing the GP Beer Store after my father died, but I (and the whole family) thought it might be a bit dangerous. Maybe it wouldn't have been, but I didn't want to take the chance with it. I just can't see a Mulier's grocery or anything going in there.

Have you been in the Party Store between Alter and Wayburn? I was in there two years ago and they seemed to be doing a good business. Nice enough guys.

What do you think would be a good use for that land? Are there alot of GPPer's upset about it?

My mom has gone down and taken pictures of it. I would fly there in a minute if someone would let me go upstairs and in the basement (and if I could afford a plane ticket!).
Thanks for replying to my post Rrl, I hope the Cities make good use of the land for your sake and all the other folks. I'll keep watching for any updated posts. Kath

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Kath, you're saying that GPP has ambitions of tearing down all of the store fronts in GPP along that stretch of Jefferson? That would be asinine if true. I'm still not over this loss of this first building that I was informed of today. And, it is true, they have no redevelopment plans yet. The GP news said, re: the Brosnan building, that the city will, starting after the fact, look into potential developers. This is stupid.

Detroitrulez, I was simply amazed by the whole vista that was opened up when the Fisher Forest was cleared...as the photo showed, we are building a replica of suburbia in the inner city. It is really wild. That neighborhood in general, as I wrote about, has a lot of weird aspects that I find amazing.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was that property with the woods on it? I think that sucks they tore down the woods it offered some retreat in the city or a quiet spot. Was there alot of junk in the trees before they tore it down. Those woods would have been a good selling point

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the Fisher mansion's back yard. I'm always amazed at how land developers don't even leave a few of the largest trees to give the new houses some shade and curb appeal.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3129
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wooded area once had homes there. It went from woods to homes to woods, and now it looks as if a second round of homes will be built there.

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 596
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Trees got bugs. I hate bugs......" Mr. T

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Have you been in the Party Store between Alter and Wayburn? I was in there two years ago and they seemed to be doing a good business. Nice enough guys.

If you're talking about the place on the N side of Jefferson, it's been closed for over a year. They had good slices, chicken and brats for a party store.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom just told mee on the phone that only the buildings from the Deck bar to the Party store are slated to fall.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But why would GPP have anything to do with those buildings being demolished? (which some have hinted) They are technically in Detroit.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct. The building for sale on the corner, which one of my photos shows, is in Detroit. But after that, you have the DPW, the green awning building, the Brosnan building, and then the glass repair shop at the corner of Maryland. I suppose it's possible that they want all four of these buildings torn down, and they already own 2 of them; the former Deck Bar should be sacrosanct since it is in Detroit.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, I don't think that property ever had homes built on it with the exception of a very large mansion right at the river. Built by one of the Detroit "beer" families. The Koerber family, I think.

Danjo444
Username: Danjo444

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So many great memories. I grew up at Maryland and Jefferson. I remember going into Bill's Beer Store (as we called it) when we were kids to buy penny candy and Town Club soda. Bill's is the store mentioned above near the Deck Bar, near the White Tower and Pete Moore's bar (later Brosnans I think). Here's a 50's pic of Detroit Department of Street Railways car on the Jefferson line turning around at Wayburn Loop behind the white Tower. Incidently, I believe Fox Creek flowed right under this spot and north through the Pointes and out to the Milk River.

DDS Rail car turning around at Wayburn / Jefferson

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photo. The streetcar line had to be such an asset for people living in that neighborhood.

I think that those first five streets in Grosse Pointe Park harbor a population of urbanites, and are a representation of what far east Detroit was like when it was dense and functional. Streets like Maryland and Beaconsfield feature a traditional urban design, and with retail along the cross-streets like Jefferson, Kercheval, Vernor, Charlevoix, Mack, and Fairfax, they could certainly be called mixed-use neighborhoods. Living here gives you all the benefits in terms of city services that people expect of a fully functional city (plus a little more with a lakefront pool, etc.). With all of this, and the fact that this neighborhood has a lot of immigrants, these five streets could be called a preserved microcosm of Detroit in its heyday.

This all erodes when the City starts tearing down storefronts and replacing them with gas stations and modern office space as they have on Jefferson.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3133
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, it wasn't densely populated, just about four or five homes along that side of the canal. You'd never know by driving down the street.

Lenox 1949

Danjo, the creek flowed where Hampton is now, across Alter, then across Jefferson west of Manistique.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4111
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the lost mansions thread for more info on that strip

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danjo444, Bill's Beer Store. That's cool. Thanks for sharing a memory of that time. When did you live there? Did I go to school with you?
Yay, White Tower and that pic is so cool, I know my mom would remember that time; me, not so much!
Hey, if you still live there try to get into the old store from the back alley or something and see if there are any artifacts upstairs or in the basement, ok? And take some pictures! Thanks! K

Danjo444

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath,

I went to Trombly Elementary, Pierce Middle, GP South and WSU. Had my knuckles whacked a few times by Sister Mary Catharine at St. Ambrose Sunday school. Remember the Michigan Bank and the shell station at Barrington with the 10c coke machine? (small glass bottles) Ever eat at the White Sun?...or the Toddle House (later Dobbs house), across Nottingham from Park Pharmacy?

MikeM...cool pic above, but I'm trying to get my bearings on that one...where is it?

Danjo444

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM...nevermind...figured it out. Thanks

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers to a fellow GPS-er.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a great grandmother that lived in the second fieldstone house down Barrington. She perished and the house was then occupied by an aunt and uncle. what an awesome old house, with an apartment in the basement and a great attic. Many good times in that house.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about this place just down the shore?

http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=r1sn5582p2xq&style =o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1 000&scene=5643660

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what house you mean, Bigjeff, and it is a sweet-looking place.

Dnvn522, great question. That house is abandoned, but surrounded by public land. Just another far east side oddity...nice old house on the water sits abandoned and isolated from the rest of the neighborhood by fields.

On this site I recently advocated the sale of at least half of A. Ford Brush Park by the city, for a high-rise development. I was met by jeers, but that seems like a little too much city-owned land in that area. Now as much as I'd like to see investment dollars pour into the existing neighborhood and not new developments, I think that a distinctive high-rise there would be much better than more noveau subdivisions.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danjo44,
White Sun was my first Chinese experience and every time we would drive downtown past the place it became even more mysterious.

Mom filling up the car at the Shell station. Hot, sticky seats in the station wagon, having come from or going to The Park. We still have the pitcher and glasses that they gave for free there.
The Toddle House was only visited once with a boyfriend, but enjoyed immensely!
Defer, Pierce, GPS,....world:}

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Deck in the late 90s (99?) When did it close? And was it always a bar for a different crowd ? :-)

I love GPP because of its city feel. Rented there 2 seperate times...Will be a loss for sure to tear those places down.

Danjo444

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath,

Did you also go to Barley's (sp?)...the little penny candy / fishing bait store just over the Fox Creek Bridge at Corte? Remember the huge tub of minnows?

BTW..what is the Ozarks connection? My fam is having a reunion this year in Hot Springs Ark.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I can see the tub of minnows, water gurgling, like it was yesterday! Didn't remember what it was called, though.
We didn't go over there too much, but since it was over the bridge on the "other side" of a body of water it seemed like another world to me as a kid.
My husband and I live in the Ozarks now. I love Hot Springs so much! We are about 4 hours NE. I love The Arlington Hotel, although the decor needs updating.
You should definitely make plans to to the Natural Mineral Baths, either at the Arlington (very cool old marble tubs/walls/floors) or another bathhouse.

I graduated GPS 1979. Lived in the Park until I was 19.

By the way, will you be going down to Bill's Beer store and sneaking inside for a look see?
There is a back door and little window and maybe just maybe someone left it unlocked! The stairs to go up to the two apartments are in the front of the store. (inside)
I would sooo do it if I was there. You could just way that one of the original owners wanted you to find some family heirloom or whatever!
You could tell them you are with HGTV!

Anyone else know any more today about the tearing down of the buildings?

Oh, and another thing - there is a lack of parking for the block, always has been a concern for the business owners.

Did the Deck Bar become a gay bar in the 80's? I know when my dad went there it sure as heck wasn't!! tee hee!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and another story from mom about Bill's Beer Store (Grosse Pointe Beer Store):

George Perles was the football coach at St. Ambrose who went on to coach at MSU. His St. Ambrose Football team were allowed to spend their lunch hour at the Beer Store purchasing pop with their bag lunches. It was considered quite the status symbol in the 1960's.
Does anyone have a father or grandfather that was there?

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 574
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot Springs is in the Ouachita (WASH i taw) Mtns.

The Ozarks are North. I live in the valley between the two.

Maybe you can meet with our FSC South ...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was definitely White Tower there. Every Sunday morning after church we would stop there to buy our Sunday Free Press from Gus, the newspaper guy!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missn,

there isn't really a FSC South, right?

Where is this valley you refer to? Russellville?

Kathleen, did you live in GP or Detroit? St. Ambrose Church? I didn't go there, but know people who do. Did you ever go into my dad's store? GP Beer Store (Bill's)?

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 575
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks --

There isn't one yet ...

I live in the Russellville area (job provided house), and I own a little farm house near Huntsville.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missn,

I live in Boone County. I wonder if we are the only ones in this area. Probably. Lots of people think, "what the heck could possibly be in Arkansas?". I'm glad. Less people, fewer problems. Have a great Sunday!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi displaced Detroit folks now living in the natural state....I live in Fayetteville....but sure have great memories about growing up on the eastside of Detroit...Arkansas is great , the only time I am divided is if UofA is playing UoM...then I would have a difficult time...But, the areas in Arkansas are very nice reminds me of upper MI...and I still think I saw you as a kid at Eastland...:0

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by this afternoon. Talk about clear-cutting. Now I know what it must be like in the Amazon.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Leland.

That canal-front Mediterranean home on Keelson is awesome.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gibran, I guess I only went to da'U.P. once and don't remember what it looked like. I do love that we have some of the similar Spruce trees and big, old, tall Oaks and Elms here in AR.
And yes, that was me! Wish I knew how to scan pictures. Well, maybe not!

Leland, can you sneak in there and take pictures or does someone live there?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks: We lived in Detroit, and attended St. Clare. We did the E. Jefferson drive to Belle Isle and downtown frequently as it meant passing along the area in which my parents grew up (St. Jean and Meadowbrook, south of Jefferson) and hearing all the stories about their friends and local businesses.

After picking up the Sunday paper from Gus in front of the White Tower, we usually headed to Grand Blvd. to go through the tunnel to the Belle Isle Bridge, where we would stop near the Yacht Club to feed the ducks with scrap bread saved during the previous week.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Kathleen, by 'tunnel' do you mean that part where you drove, (was it under?) Jefferson? I am blanking on that for some reason.
Yes, feeding the ducks with old scraps of bread was our highlight for after church Sundays! So many shared memories!
Do you have pictures of you in front of the ice sculpture? We sure do!
Grandpa would take them with his Brownie Box camera. No kidding! 1960's fun!

Total strangers following the same routines. Are we all that different? Ok, I just had to get a bit deep-ish for a minute.

Danjo444

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KathinOzarks...call me chickenshit, but I'm skeered to sneak in the back door of a party store, sneak up the stairs and venture into apartments in search of old sentimental objects. When you decide to go, I'll be right behind you. : )

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, ha ha ha ha! Danjo, It's really cool up there!
I think you are going to change your mind :-)

.....just watch the letters......you are getting sleepy.....verrrrry sllleeeepppyyyy. Now, when you are finished reading this you will have a burning need to venture into the old, abandoned store with a flashlight and camera...........and you will go.........

Gibran

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks...sent dining suggestions at civic post..

Gibran

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks...sent dining suggestions at civic post..

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got 'em. Thanks!

Isnyd
Username: Isnyd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is strictly rumor but I've heard GPP is planning on taking down the Deck Bar and other buildings to build greenspace as a more welcoming front to GPP. Similar to the clock and bench green space on the other side of Jefferson.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which means that they'd have to buy it, first.

I actually tend to believe that this is their ambition.

I thought the entrance to GPP was already obvious enough.

Isnyd
Username: Isnyd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've called on the property. There is an offer in process, it's off the market.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They cant tear down the DECK LOL its one of the oldest gay bars in the city!

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hasnt it been closed for something like 10 years?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner, the Deck Bar wasn't gay until, like the early 90's.

Gibran

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had to turn into a side street and drive to the opening of the tunnel off or on Grand BLVD....it was cool...I always loved the older homes there and seeing Indian Village ...I always tried to imagine what the neighborhoods looked like in their prime...Detroit sure had some vision n the early years...the photos and the posts are awesome. I like the ones where the old Churches and Synagogues are shown...I close my eyes and see the communities that made up the neighborhoods...Oh there I go again....must be the site...

Sister
Username: Sister

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were three mansions on Lenox owned by the Fisher brothers. Only the one, now occupied by the Hari Krishna group, still exists. Over the years the land reverted and became a woods and a habitat for pheasants and other wildlife. There are still boat wells there from the old mansions. People fished back there and we would sometimes take our dog for walks in that area. It is a shame that while they are redeveloping, they had to cut down every piece of vegetation on that strip of land. According to information given to the neighborhood, the plan is to put up a berm so that the houses built there, which are supposed to be over the million dollar range, will be out of sight of the unwashed masses. Very discouraging.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

most of the land will be used by GPP DPW with nice frontage on Jefferson. Their current DPW is the former Maher Chevrolet Body Shop and they need more space. thats the rumor i got. So who's opening a new laundrymat near Jeff and Chalmers area?

Radioron
Username: Radioron

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GPP currently owns all the property on the north side of Jefferson from Alter to Maryland except the small office building on the corner of Jeff and Wayburn and the D-DOT bus loop around this building. Contracts have been approved for the demolition of the Deck Bar, the party store, the laundromat and Brosnans building. Demolition should start within two weeks. The corner building on Maryland will stay for the time being.

GPP is in final talks with D-DOT for a property swap. GPP would build a new loop with a comfort station for the drivers on the Deck Bar and party store property in exchange for the current bus loop. Look to have that complete by the end of summer.

GP also owns the side of Mack between Alter and Wayburn and at least the first Alter road house south of Mack. These are also scheduled for demolition in the next few weeks.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know someone that lives in one of those homes on Alter Road.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to have some serious issues with GPP if this goes through.

Radioron
Username: Radioron

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brosnan's Bar started to come down on Saturday, should be a vacant lot by Wednesday. The same crew is starting on Mack/Alter when done on Jefferson. The Deck Bar is being held up by Detroit for permits, but as soon as its clear the Deck and Party store are gone.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radioron, do you work for The City of GPP?

Gibran! My dad's beer store is being torn down!!!!! I'm going to cry!!!

Darn sentimentality. I wish it would go away...

I hate time.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, how my feelings changed since my 2/27 post saying, 'it's cool, let it go'.

Now that it's actually happening it sucks a bit.

Danjo444

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup...The old Pete Moore's, later Brosnan's, is a heap of rubble. The White Tower is long gone. Bill's Beer Store and the Deck are still there.

If you look up at the streetcar pic in this same thread, you'll see the back of the building that is no more.

Kath, maybe we should sneak into the old store after all. I grew up half a block from there and as a teen would beg adults to buy us beer. We scored every time. Wonder if it would be as easy today.

Looks like the bus is still using the Wayburn loop, as of this morning, but didn't get a good look behind the building.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be going to GP friday, and I don't think I want to look at the wreckage. What are they thinking?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danjo,

Yes, yes yes!!! Adults were so much cooler back in the day!!

I would love you forever if you went in that damn old store and took a picture!! (upstairs and in the basement!!!)

I'll be waiting to hear if you chicken out or not. Even if you do chicken out it's nice to know that you thought about it. And so very nice of you to post your memories of the Beer Store!

I will forever wish that I would've spent the non-existent money in my checking account to buy a plane ticket up there!

My daddy's store!!! Noooooooooo!

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A poem about Detroit...

http://www.elabs7.com/function s/message_view.html?mid=36467& mlid=499&siteid=20130&uid=b570 1d9bfd

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Kathinozarks, but the Deck was a Gay bar prior to the 90's - I used to go there in the 80's, and even had my car stolen while I was inside once.

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Progress, its a wonderful thing, eh

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4325
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A guy I used to work with said he used to see Jerry Hodak at one of the "gay" bars in that area in the 80's.

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Deck all throughout the 80's and it was gay the whole time.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: