Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Dixie Highway in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading the defunct gas stations thread reminded me of a quest I embarked upon a couple years ago to research & travel the old Dixie Highway (once called “Avenue de Booze” during Prohibition) from Waterford up to the Soo. I was wondering how much, if anything, is visibly left of the old Dixie Highway from when it ran through Detroit.

Background: I got interested in this topic a few years ago when I was traveling Dixie Highway between Clarkston & Grange Hall Road near Holly. I was marveling at the little motels long the way, & then it hit me like a ton of bricks—this was the main road from the Deep South to Michigan & Canada, hence the large number of “comfort stations” along the road. (Yes, eventually, I do catch on to these things.)

The Trip: So, during a summer vacation to the Soo, I decided to get there by traveling the original Dixie Highway route as much as possible. I did as much research as I could, then hit the happy trail. It was fascinating all the way from Clarkston (“Are You On the Right Road?” http://dixiebaptist.org/salvat ion.htm ) through the A&W Rootbeer stand in Bay City. I was amazed at the number of kitschy, old, no-longer-eateries, & the motels advertising “RCA Color TV,” with the lettering in different colors. I suspect much of this post-dates the era of the original Dixie Highway, before the US Highway System came about around 1927.

The Model Ts: By the time I got to Mackinaw City, one of the first hotels greeting me on US-23 had a whole parking lot full of gorgeous old Model Ts. I thought this was an amazing coincidence, considering the Dixie Highway was built in large part due to people wanting to travel in their new Model Ts.

The Detroit Part (finally!): It was a great trip, & I learned a lot about the national highway system & the State, but it made me curious about the Dixie Highway when it ran through Detroit. Are there any remnants of the old Dixie Highway in the area (other than the Southern route through Monroe & the Northern route through Waterford & beyond)? Any old signs out there on the roads, in antique shops, or tucked away in someone’s house or garage? http://www.us-highways.com/dhi mage1.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I mage:DixieHighwayMarker.JPG I know you can see some vestiges of the era in some buildings along Woodward, but nothing that seems as overt as through the Waterford to Bay City leg.

Various links about the Dixie Highway follow, if anyone’s interested. Thanks in advance for your input.

Dixie Highway history
http://www.us-highways.com/dix iehwy.htm

1923 map of the Dixie Highway.
http://www.us-highways.com/tzi mm/dhmap23.htm

Directions through Michigan.
http://www.us-highways.com/dix iehwye.htm

Photos & details of Roger Reini’s trip from Clarkston through Monroe.
http://www.rreini.com/dixiehwy -mi/dixiehwy-mich.htm

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad owns the Big Boy on Dixie in Clarkston. I used to take it as much as I could from Woodward to Oakland Avenue. The Big Boy is over 30 years old which predates the sprawl in the area.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Michigan trail markings from 1923. Unfortunately, they're not in color.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may be interested in this site. I've linked to a page with the trail markers, but i've found the entire site to be a fascinating read on how the highways and freeways have come to be what - and where - they are today.

http://www.michiganhighways.or g/indepth/auto_trails2.html

Mikem

Post Number: 3082
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There you go!

This map is a little fuzzy, but you can see a few roads labeled with darks squares with white numbers which correspond to the trail markers above.

Woodward is both #8 (Theodore Roosevelt International Highway) and #25 (Dixie Highway). Van Dyke is #53, the Horatio Earl Memorial Highway; Grand River is #5, the Grand River Road; Michigan #17, the Detroit-Chicago Highway.

Detroit area 1923

The map was put out by Chevrolet, and the red dots are Chevrolet dealers.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the markers were painted onto utility poles instead of being separate signs.

Mikem

Post Number: 3083
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such as this:

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the Yellowstone Trail went through Ohio and Indiana (on about the route of the two turnpikes) and bypassed Michigan. The Lincoln Highway would have been old U.S. 30, again bypassing Michigan to the south. Did either of those have "official" branches or routes in Michigan?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4859
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba grew in the 1940s riding M-60 from Jackson to Chicago. Which of the historical names would have run that route?

We used Ford Road from Wyoming and then old US 12 to get to Jackson. This is all pre-interstates.
The current US 12 was then called US 112.

jjaba, Westsider.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 565
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps part of your route, JJABA, was on the former Chicago Trail?

http://www.marion.ohio-state.e du/fac/schul/trails/state/chic ago.html

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny topic, I was just driving on the Dixie Hwy the earlier this week... On the south side, in Florida City south of Miami, where the Highway ends. I'm sure taking that route instead of I-75 to go from Detroit to Miami would bring up many interesting historical trivia. I'm glad at least one person is trying to preserve the history of this road on the internet.

Mikem

Post Number: 3087
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, my map covers the northern portion of Ohio and Indiana, hence the inclusion of those trails. I have to dig it out of the basement to see what the Jackson-Chicago trail would be - I don't have it scanned into my computer right now, although I think Miss'nMich might be right.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading MikeM's post I become curious as to who Horatio Earl was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H oratio_Earle
Pretty interesting guy.

Mikem

Post Number: 3089
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

HON. HORATIO SAWYER EARLE. While the history of the industrial development of Detroit would be incomplete were there failure to make prominent reference to Horatio Sawyer Earle, he has also left the impress of his individuality and ability upon the history of the state in many other ways. He has long been a recognized leader in the ranks of the republican party and represented his district in the state senate. At the same time he has been a close student of many of the important economic and sociological problems before the country, has been a supporter of the good roads movement and has labored untiringly and effectively for the benefit of the youth of the state, especially the newsboys. The evidences of his devotion to the individual and to the community at large are many and tangible, and he well deserves representation in this volume.

His birth occurred at Mount Holly, Vermont, on the 14th of February, 1855. He represents one of the old families of New England, his parents being Nelson C. and Eliza A. (Sawyer) Earle. His youthful days were largely devoted to the acquirement of a district school education in Mount Holly and at the Black River Academy in Ludlow, Vermont, while for a time he also attended night school at Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. His youthful experiences were those of the farm bred boy, for he was reared upon a farm to the age of nineteen years, after which he started out in the business world by obtaining a position in an iron foundry. Steadily he worked his way upward until he became foreman, inventor, patentee and traveling representative.

Mr. Earle dates his residence in Detroit from 1889 and here organized the H. S. Earle Manufacturing Company, a patent holding company. He is president of the North Wayne Tool Company, farm edge tool manufacturers of Hallowell, Maine. He further extended the scope of his activity by establishing the Genessee Gravel Company, of which he is likewise the president, and he also occupies the position of chief executive of the Good Roads Supply Company. In fact he is very widely known in manufacturing and industrial circles in Detroit, and aside from this he was at one time treasurer of the Roseland Park Cemetery Association.

Mr. Earle's connection with public interest has brought him prominently to the front as a leading citizen of Detroit. Before removing from New England he had served as assistant chief of the fire department at Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, in 1883. In 1895 he was chairman of the Michigan League of American Wheelmen good roads committee and in 1899 was made chief counsel for the Michigan division. It was in 1900 that he was called to the office of state senator, being elected to the position on the republican ticket, and throughout the intervening period he has been active in political circles. In 1906 he was elected to the presidency of the National League of American Wheelmen, and in 1901 he was chairman of the Michigan highway commission. He also served as state highway commissioner from 1903 until 1909. He became identified with the progressive wing of the republican party in 1912 and in that year was a candidate for the office of mayor of Detroit. In 1920 he received strong endorsement for the nomination for governor of Michigan, many representatives of the press and others prominent in public life giving him their stanch support, on which occasion he was spoken of as "a thorough business man, not a politician, and in every way fitted to administer the business of the state." He did especially effective work in behalf of good roads when a member of the senate, doing much to improve the public highways through the agricultural districts and by reason of this he was signally honored by the people of the state by the erection of two monuments-one at Mackinaw City and one at Cass City-as acknowledgment of the value of his service in improving the public highways. He has served as president of the National Convict Labor Good Roads Association and was the founder of the American Roadmakers Association.

Mr. Earle is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and has been very active in church work and in efforts to safeguard and protect the young. He is now the vice president of the Newsboys Association of Detroit and has been interested in this movement for many years. He is serving as federal state director of the boys' working reserve, acting in that capacity during the World war period and since. In Masonry he has attained the Knight Templar and Consistory degrees and is a member of the Mystic Shrine. He likewise belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Odd Fellows and is interested in these fraternities because of the good accomplished and the principles of universal brotherhood inculcated. He is a member of the National Exchange Club and was its president during 1920 and 1921. He is also a member of the Detroit Athletic Club; the Young Men's Christian Association; and the Detroit Board of Commerce.

On the 15th of February, 1874, at Mount Holly, Vermont, Mr. Earle was united in marriage to Miss Agnes L. Lincoln, of Plymouth, Vermont, who was the mother of his oldest son, Dr. R. H. Earle, of Wayne, Michigan. She died in 1878. On the 213rd of August, 1882, at Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, he wedded Anna M. Keyes, the mother of his other son, George Lewis Earle, mentioned elsewhere in this work. The former during the World war was commissioned a major and as such participated in many of the fiercest battles on the western front. He took part in the drive in the Argonne forest and in other engagements of equal note and after the armistice was signed was with the army of occupation in Germany for six months, before being finally discharged. He was in Europe altogether for eleven months and nineteen days, and he is now devoting his attention to medical practice in Wayne, Michigan. Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Earle remain residents of Detroit, where they took up their abode in 1889.

So various have been the activities of Mr. Earle that there are few lines of Detroit's advancement and progress with which he has not been more or less closely associated, for in business he has made for himself a creditable position, while in public affairs he has rendered service of great value and benefit to the commonwealth. Moreover, he has studied many of the economic and sociological problems of the country with the result that he has put forth effective efforts toward bringing about improved conditions for the young, especially for those lads who must seek a livelihood by selling papers upon the streets of the city. He recognizes in such the opportunity for the development of substantial citizens, and his labors have been an effective force in planting and developing high ideals among boys of this class.

Clarence Burton, The City of Detroit, Michigan

Mikem

Post Number: 3090
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senator Earle lived at 705 4th (old addresses) which was at the northeast corner of 4th and Alexandrine:

705 4th

Jjaba

Post Number: 4875
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, not Chicago Trail.
But thanks for the try.

jjaba. BTW, Can you boil eggs in Coldwater?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a big Horation Earle fan due to his strong connection with bike adovcacy in Michigan. The League of American Wheelmen was the main cycling organization at the time. They are largely responsible for the creation of county road commissions and MDOT within Michigan.

Thanks for the very interesting posts (as usual), Mikem. His autobiography didn't talk too much about his Mason connection, though he did help promote and then acquire the current Temple location across from Cass Park. He also got the street renamed from Bagg to Temple.

I think I'll bike past his empty lot of his former residence today...

(Message edited by fishtoes2000 on February 24, 2007)

Mikem

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes, I mistyped...it should be at the northwest corner of 4th and Alexandrine; the bluish-gray house in the center of the picture.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4878
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, the best mapreader in the World.

jjaba. He's amazing.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just driving on this yesterday. I realize how sad it was when we decided to take I-75 up to Grange Hall Road instead of taking Dixie Highway up to get the Mt.Holly. But our short time on Dixie Highway was pretty wild. I saw a few motels and some houses that did not look to red hot.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just looked briefly through Earle's autobiography and saw only one photo of his house. Apparently he moved.

Home of Horatio Sawyer Earle in Detroit, Michigan

His book also contains a little map of the Horatio Earle Super Highway.

map

Chitaku

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like m-53

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are really cool trail markers posted up there a ways. I'm a bit surprised that the Red Arrow Highway was not included - running west from Kalamazoo to the Michigan State line via Hartford, Coloma, and Benton Harbor, and the original routing for US-12 in this west side of the state.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4881
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously M-60 is an old wagon road, the name of which excapes jjaba.
It runs West from Jackson, Spring Arbor, Concord, Homer, Tekonsha, Union City, Leonidas, Mendon, Three Rivers, Vandalia, Cassopolis, to Niles, Michigan where is joins US 12 to Lake Michigan in SW Michigan at New Buffalo.

jjaba's family drove many times a yr. to Chicago in the 1940s and 1950s on this scenic Michigan road. If you have the time, you'll be rewarded by this Southern Michigan gem. On a Sunday, there's very little traffic, no trucks most any day, and a joyful, top-down experience.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4882
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M-53 is Van Dyke Avenue. Start at E. Jefferson in Detroit and run it up North to Port Austin.
People still ride it that way today. Good old Dixie Highway.
Can we get some old motor court/gas station/drive-in photos?

jjaba.

Mikem

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes, the address I have for Earle was from a 1915 phone book. He must have moved sometime later. 705 4th:

705 4th

Mikem

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, looks as if trail 14 (Chicago Trail), trail 17 (Michigan-Detroit-Chicago Highway), and trail 24 (Hoosier Highway), all start in Detroit and follow each other to Ypsilanti. In Ypsi, the Michigan-Detroit-Chicago Highway (17) branches off westward to Ann Arbor, Chelsea, and Jackson.

The Chicago Trail (14) and Hoosier Highway (24) run down to Saline where they split. At Saline, the Hoosier Highway (24) continues south-southwest to Tecumseh, Adrian, Morenci, and into Ohio and Indiana.

The Michigan-Detroit-Chicago Highway (14) travels west-southwest from Saline to Clinton, Somerset Center, and points west.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here't the first part of the original Chicago Rd, from an 1825 survey that was done. The map takes it to milepost 70, somewhere south of Jackson, I'm guessing.

Chicago Rd 1825

The map doesn't really lend itself to post on this forum, so it can be seen at the NOAA website, you'll have to use a plugin with IE to view though.

NOAA Historical Maps and Charts

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:46 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
"Sorry, not Chicago Trail.
But thanks for the try.

jjaba. BTW, Can you boil eggs in Coldwater?"

My first post, that is friggun funny!! Gotta have a beer with you.

Stromberg2, Stuck in Monroe.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 570
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba:

The history of M-60 from
http://www.michiganhighways.or g/

Western Terminus: Jct US-12 southeast of Niles in extreme southwestern Cass Co
Eastern Terminus: I-94 at Exit 136 northwest of Jackson
Length: 104.57 miles
Map: Route Map of M-60
Notes: M-60 is a primary through highway, connecting US-12 at Niles with US-131 at Three Rivers and with I-94 and nearby US-127 at Jackson. And from 1925 to 1966, M-60 actually ran west from Niles to end in New Buffalo—part of the time on its own, and other times co-signed with US-112 and US-12. In fact, the spur BUS M-60 into downtown Niles had formerly been a loop-route through the city until the M-60 designation was scaled back to its present terminus in 1966.
History: c.1920 - M-60 runs (roughly) along its present-day alignment for 23 miles from M-62 in downtown Cassopolis, easterly through Vandalia and Jones, ending at M-13 (later US-131, now BUS US-131) in downtown Three Rivers.
1925 - In 1925, M-60 is extended in both directions by a total of 118 miles. On the west, M-60 is extended southwesterly from Cassopolis through Niles, Buchanan and Three Oaks to end at US-12 just north of New Buffalo. On the east, M-60 is extended northeasterly from Three Rivers through Mendon, Union City, Tekonsha, Homer, Concord and Spring Arbor, ending at the jct of US-127/M-50 & US-12 (cnr of West St & W Michigan Ave) in Jackson.
1932 - M-60 is realigned in two places. From Galien to Niles in southern Berrien Co, M-60 is realigned on a partially-new highway, bypassing Dayton and Buchanan (via present-day US-12). The second realignment "smoothes" out the routing from Three Rivers, through Mendon to Leonidas in St Joseph Co. The former alignments are turned back to local control.
1935 - US-112 is concurrently designated with M-60 from downtown Niles westerly to the western termini of both routes at US-12 just north of downtown New Buffalo.
c.1937 - Union City in extreme northern Branch Co and Tekonsha in southern Calhoun Co are bypassed with two shorter realignments of M-60. The former routings are turned back to local control.
1940 - The final ten unpaved miles of M-60 are hard-surfaced, between Tekonsha and Homer.
1949 - In late 1949, M-60 is rerouted to the north of its former alignment in eastern Cass and extreme western St Joseph Co in the Jones area. The former route, via Blair Lake Rd in Cass Co and Harder Rd & Youngs Prairie Rd in St Joseph Co, is turned back to local control.
1953 - A western US-131 bypass of Three Rivers is completed in mid-1953. The formerly concurrent US-131/M-60 segment via W Michigan Ave from downtown westerly becomes BUS US-131/M-60, as the former US-131 through downtown is redesignated as BUS US-131.
1954 - M-60 is extended at its eastern end by approximately 1.5 miles northerly along US-127/BUS US-12/M-50 (West St) to end at the "new" US-12 bypass on the north side of Jackson.
1956 - The part-freeway, part-expressway southern bypass of Niles is completed. The through-routing of M-60 is transferred to the new bypass, while the former routing of M-60 through downtown Niles is redesignated as BUS M-60. The former US-112/M-60 segment on the west side of town becomes BUS US-112/BUS M-60.
1958 - A western M-60 "bypass" of Jackson opens as a fully-controlled access freeway. The new freeway bypass begins at M-60/Spring Arbor Rd (between Reynolds & Robinson Rds) southwest of downtown Jackson and proceeds due northerly to end at I-94/US-12 northwest of Jackson. For the last mile of the new freeway, a newly-extended BUS US-12 is co-signed with M-60. The former routing of M-60 into Jackson along Spring Arbor Rd is turned back to local control.
1960 - With the redesignation of all BUS US-12 routings west of Ann Arbor as BL I-94 designations, the concurrent M-60/BUS US-12 routing west of Jackson becomes M-60/BL I-94.
1961 - All of US-112 in Michigan is redesignated as a major rerouting of US-12, and the 27-mile concurrent US-112/M-60 designation from New Buffalo to Niles becomes US-12/M-60.
1965 - The newly-extended M-66 (this portion was M-78 until this year) is rerouted along M-60 from just east of Mendon in St Joseph Co to just south of Athens in extreme northwest Branch Co.
1966 - The 31-year concurrent designation with US-112 (and later US-12) from New Buffalo to Niles is ended as M-60 is scaled back to end at jct US-12 & BUS US-12 southeast of downtown Niles. BUS M-60 is also scaled back to end at BUS US-12 on the east side of downtown Niles, becoming a spur route from M-60. (The former BUS US-12/BUS M-60 concurrency becomes just BUS US-12.)
Freeway: From Spring Arbor Rd southwest of Jackson to I-94 at Exit 136 northwest of Jackson.
Expressway: From western terminus at US-12 southeast of downtown Niles northeasterly to east of Barron Lake Rd east of Niles.
NHS: From BL I-94/W Michigan Ave to I-94 at Exit 136 west of Jackson.
Business Connection: BUS M-60 - Niles. From M-60 east of Niles to BUS US-12/M-51 in downtown Niles.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4886
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stromberg2, welcome to Forum. Beers on jjaba when you get to 1,000 good quality posts on The Forum.

Missnmich, excellent post for jjaba. A real drive down memory land for jjaba. Merci.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dixie Highway was travelled many times by my extended family as they made their way between Georgia and Detroit. Henry Ford had drawn many of them north to work in the Ford plants. They left my grandfather and grandmother behind on the farm. Back in those days, your cars were not delivered from the plants and you had to get them yourselves. My grandfather would catch a ride with the drivers that went to Detroit to pick up the cars and would visit his family and then later catch a ride going back home. Unfortunately, he caught a ride with a young driver with too much enthusiasm and they rolled off a mountain in Kentucky while in a Ford Roadster and were killed. So, I lost a grandfather to the Dixie Highway.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm tempted to drive Dixie today, visit my pops Big Boy

(Message edited by chi-taku on February 25, 2007)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been to that Big Boy a number of times over the years. I always enjoyed the Harvey's restaurants in the Waterford Area that were on the Dixie, though I think they are gone now. My Grand Parents lived on Dixie in Drayton Plains between 1930 and 1975. The house is gone now replaced with a Dairy Queen. They always had a huge flower garden in the front which many people would stop and comment on. It was always a busy road many times referred to as the Devils highway.
I have many pictures of the area if anyone is interested.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's two Big Boys on Dixie, one in Waterford one in Clarkston. Dads is Clarkston

Jjaba

Post Number: 4890
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba grew up on the Brawney Lad Combination for 79 cents, Grand River and Greenfield Big Boys.
In Kalamazoo, the Big Boys on Westnedge out by I-94 was an early welcome transit lunch break driving to and from Chicago. It was always a hit with WMU dorm kids on Sunday night when dorm meals weren't served. Ofcourse, that Mc Donalds next door served up a whole hell of a lotta belly bombs and grease sticks in the late 1950s too.

jjaba, Fond Memories of Big Boys.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 622
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, fond memories of Burger King and 49 cent Whoppers®.

BK - 1969

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I think of the Dixie Highway, I think about the old Burma Shave signs that use to appear along the highway. But then I always think in the past.
But speaking of Big Boy restaurants, the Big Boy in GPW on Mack just north of Vernier is going strong and its owner is an integral part of the community.
Every now and then Big Boy disappears from the front lawn, but, fortunately, he still manages to show up again.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Dixie Highway memory: Whoopee Bowl.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4895
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's friend Big Boy, has Burger King pants, home of the Whopper.

jjaba, LOL.

Mikem

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes, Horatio Earle died in 1935. I have him living at 949 Virginia Park that year - probably the home in your picture. Looks like it's no longer there.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4898
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock,

Took my gal around the block
There she smiled and talked of The Rock.

She got cold, turned a shade of blue
Turned around the Belle Isle canoe.
Burma Shave.

jjaba on Dixie highway.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, you and I have a bit in common. WMU history and the Amtrak/Michigan Central, line, and now memories from M-60. My grandparents lived in Elkhart and we drove from Dearborn to Jackson on 94, then M-60 from Jackson to Three Rivers was our primary route for getting there along with US-131 south through Constantine and White Pigeon and the old US-112 alignment from there into Elkhart. M-60 is a great ride. I made the trip for 20 years, and my parents even more. My grandma moved to Dearborn in 2005 so we do not need to travel M-60 any longer, but I took the long way to Kalamazoo at the new year and took the familiar M-60 course with detours to downtown Homer and Union City. Excellent.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope this isn't a thread jack as you call them, my dad grew up on Downing St. in Detroit( always talked about playing hockey on top of the old oil tanks) and then moved to Walnut St. in LP. He always told me that Fort St. (M-85) was the old highway to FLA. But with all the evidence I see here he was wrong.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fishtoes, Horatio Earle died in 1935. I have him living at 949 Virginia Park that year - probably the home in your picture. Looks like it's no longer there.

Thanks again, Mikem!

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father in law has sold used cars on Dixie Hwy.since 1952.First on South Saginaw/Woodward.Since 1972,820 Oakland/Ceasar Chavez/Dixie Hwy.Lucky Auto Sales,plug.Anyone up for a Pontiac thread?A mini Detroit,with a great auto history,lots of old stuff still around.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontiac thread would be awesome, Luckycar. Where was your father in laws's car place located on the South side of Saginaw in the 50's? I am having trouble picturing a lot there.
Does he remember the really neat Santa Claus and (moving) reindeer display in the upper bay-window level of Economy Furniture at ( I think) 361 S. Saginaw?

Luckycar

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll post the addresses off the original paperwork when I get back to work on Thursday.I think I may be able to post some pics of the lot.There were two different locations.

Luckycar

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rock,the original Lucky Auto was at 193 S. Saginaw in 1952.In the 60's it moved across the street.Then with the "loop disaster",it was moved to 820 Oakland in 1972,which is the Dixie Hwy section that connects downtown Pontiac to Waterford.Now its called Ceasar Chavez.We're across the street from the C.N. railyard,plug.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hits close to home, this thread does. Luckycar, I drive by your FIL's place once in a while. I assume you know Bill Kelley at Seat Cover King? That place has been there forever. Now I'm up for a good Pontiac thread...make it so!

Luckycar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Seat Cover King will be visited by myself on Friday!Love hearing all the stories about the old days in Pontiac.Come on you northern O.C.people,give us a start on the P.I'll try to take pics when the weather nices-up.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on Dixie Hwy. the one in Ira Twp. I believe that the Port Huron loop is this particular one. M29 is called Dixie Hwy in Ira Twp. Some of the linked maps above show it going through the area. I wondered why Dixie Hwy was such a common road name.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: