Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Georgia St. on eastside of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone Have any pics of Georgia Street between Gratiot and VanDyke?

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can wait a few days I can get some from my Mom.
Her mom used to live on Georgia right across the street from Patronage of St. Joseph which is a block or two south of Gratiot.
I know she has some with people on the street and of the church.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a modern drive-thru virtual tour you can check out that um, other 'chocolate' detroit site-- Just click on the Detroit pictures thread...

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was taken near my grade school, A. L. Holmes, circa 1954-55. I'm not sure if was on Georgia or a cross street near the school.

Cub

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! I was born and raised at 9352-54(2 family flat)right in between Patronage and A.L.Holmes at Isham.That pic is Crane St. I believe on the side of the Main Office. I attended A.L.Holmes(1977-1983)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5565
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Georgia St. today just like the ghettohoods around the Lodge Park area is almost blighted no thanks to blockbusting slumlords and low-income folks and periods of white flight. No ethnic folks don't want to live over there. The ghetto just across from St. Cyril St. is now a 6 blocks of a empty urban prairie.

Cub

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT is trying to come back...There is some new housing and alot of the people that live there have been there at least twenty years.We need more businesses around there but all in all I have seen worse.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5572
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub

Are you writing about the New homes on Peter Hunt St. Edgewood, Astor, Erwin St. and many others. that's not enough to filled up the blight.

Cub

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to start somewhere......

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, my grand parents lived on Woodlawn, between Erwin and McClellan. I went to grade school at A. L. Holmes (1953-1959) because both my parents worked and my grandparents could be what we now know as day care. They built their house about 1920-21 and my grandmother moved out in 1968. It was a simple wood frame 2 bedroom. I've looked at Google Earth and other aerial photos and can't tell if that house is still there (many were similar and it looks like 65-70% aren't there any longer).

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, by the way, the one in front in the checked coat and hat w/ear flaps is me.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have to ask my Mom but I believe that she along with her parents and Grandparents all lived on Woodlawn at one time. My mother was a teacher at A.L. Holmes in the early 1960's.

Cub

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm,
If you could get me an address I would love to check for you.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,
I have some family who grew up in that area. What high school did you go to and what year did you graduate?

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Cub. Their address was 8656 Woodlawn. It was on the south (towards Knodell) side of the street, 8-10 houses east of Erwin, and I think there were 2 newer brick houses across the street.

For one class at Holmes, I had the same English teacher that my dad had 20 years earlier (Mrs. Eckmann - some things you never forget). She kept calling me by my dad's name. I'll always remember what my dad said when I told him that she was my teacher - "she was old when she was my teacher."

I used to take the direct route to school, cutting through folks' back yards (and avoiding a couple of extra blocks' walk) until hitting a street that ran toward the school. Not sure I'd try that today.

Ookpik, I don't remember any teachers mentioning that they lived in the neighborhood. Both my grandparents have been dead for decades, but my dad or aunt might remember someone living on the street.

Ookpik

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm - I think the house on Woodlawn actually belonged to my Great Grandparents. My Grandparents and their children (one of which was my mother) stayed with them for a time. My mother had grown up and was no longer living there when she taught at A.L. Holmes. I will have to talk to her to get the particulars.

Ookpik

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got the low down:

My Great Grandparents and their children (one of which is my Grandmother) lived at 8626 Woodlawn from approximately the mid/late Teens to the early 1940's. My Grandmother first attended St. Thomas and then A.L. Holmes. This would have been the 1920's. My mother taught at A.L. Holmes from approximately 1962 - 1965.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case any of you haven't been exposed to this tool yet, local.live.com is a powerful tour for getting a sense of what a neighborhood looks like today. Particularly good for out-of-towners. Use the bird-eye view (which can be zoomed in obscenely close).

http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=r1yz9p82czh4&style =o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1 000&scene=5636348

Use that link...it's centered on Georgia St., which is in bad shaped compared to Oliver St.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 566
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks as if it's still there:

http://www.google.com/maps?q=8 656+Woodlawn+St,+Detroit,+Mich igan+48213&sa=X&oi=map&ct=titl e

Ookpik

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiminnm - If my Grandma's memory is correct and I did that Fresh Logic Atlas thing right - our ancestors were next door neighbors!!!

p

O = Ookpik

J = Jiminnm

Cub

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,
Thanks, my part of Georgia is east of VanDyke on that thread.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome, and now I see that it's one of those streets that has a few different sections. Unfortunately things don't get too much nicer.

http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=42.393283~-83.0293 57&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir =0&alt=-1000&scene=5633199

This area just west of Van Dyke is one of the largest urban prairies I've ever seen. I think I want to cry after seeing this (and I've seen plenty of vacant lots on the far east side.)

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was taken in 1951 on Georgia in front of the Patronage of St. Joseph church.

At the time my grandmother lived right across the street.

Of course the house is gone no like so many others in the area.
Georgia by Patronage

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik & MissN, I've tried using Google Earth and other online maps and got the same result - which is wrong. 8656 was further east down Woodlawn, at least 8-10 houses from Erwin (me, my dad and aunt all came in with those numbers). On your map, that would put it near the label "Woodlawn St" (south side), or possibly across from those 2 similar houses on the north side (if they're brick). That would then put 8626 4-6 houses west of 8656 (toward Erwin).

Ookpik, there was a butcher shop on the SW corner of Erwin and Woodlawn. My grandmother walked down there most every day to buy meat. There was also a bakery next door to the shop or across the street (but my grandmother did all of own baking, except for an occasional treat).

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8656 = 10th house east of Erwin
8626 = 5th house east of Erwin

BTW, I think Fresh Logic Atlas does a poor job of pinpointing addresses.

(Message edited by MikeM on February 24, 2007)

Ookpik

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well - 5 houses is pretty close! My Grandmother said that 5 houses from her were the "Magettas" but did not say in which direction. She also remembered the stores and thought the "Magettas" may have owned one of them.

Mikem

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim in NM, 8656 is still there, barely:

8656 Woodlawn

Sorry, Ook, 8626 is an empty lot.

The corner markets at Woodlawn & Erwin:

northwest corner Woodlawn and Erwin

southwest corner

Gorgia looking east from Erwin, typical of the area:

Grorgia Street

If that earlier picture in front of Holmes School was looking at Crane Street, well, there are no more houses on the street:

Crane

On the other side of the school is Rohns Street, where some infill housing has recently been built:

Rohns

Might be a tough sell though:

Holcomb and Marcus

Farther east, St Joseph is still looking good:

St Jospeh

The rectory is a little rough around the edges:

St Joseph Rectory

Across from the rectory:

Culver

Ookpik

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Mike! That sucks to learn that the house is gone tho. :-(

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, thanks a lot for that photo. I am going to forward it to my parents and aunt. Given the devastation shown in the aerial photos, and the simplicity of the house, I am surprised that it's standing after 86-87 years.

Wow, what a flood of memories.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume that the schools of Patronage of St. Joseph are gone?

Mikem

Post Number: 3098
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those new houses are decent looking. Nice imitations of a standard 1890-1910 frame house. It appeared that the garages are attached, but they don't stick out and dominate the view from the street.

Mikem

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another view of Rohns, from Marcus:

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem

Where can you find that black@white map on-line? I would like to check a couple of other areas. Thanks.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 618
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is MikeG responding, not MikeM. I'm assuming that by "black & white map" you mean the old B&W aerial photos.
They can be found here.
Just scroll sown to the bottom of the page to see the City of Detroit section. You will need Adobe Reader and also a broadband connection to view the high resolution images.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new houses can be found in other eastside neighborhoods like Fairview between Canfield and Mack. Also, some have gone up off of Forest near McClellan.

I first saw this style of housing in Brightmoor. I actually like the look. Also, the houses are given a nice big fenced in yard. No community backyards like in the suburbs.

These aren't market rate homes, however. I have never seen a for sale sign in front of any of them. I guess the organizations that build the homes have a clients list because after they are built people move in them quickly.

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM-

My aunt and her sister (my grandmother) used to have houses next to each other on Georgia.

I believe the green house across from the rectory in one of your pictures was next door to my aunt. They used to share a driveway which was pretty common back then.

Here is a picture from 1952 showing Georgia looking north towards Gratiot in that area by the church.

Royce

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former, who are the people in the picture?

Cub

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nativegirl,
I graduated from Kettering High in 1990....

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce-
My Grandpa, Grandma and me. (Mom's side)

We are standing a couple of doors down from where the last picture that MikeM posted the other day was taken.

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, my aunt would like to know your great grandparents' name. If you don't want to post it here, send me an email to jgainnm at yahoo dot com.

Also, does anyone know who the A. L. Holmes school is named after? I probably knew once, but no more.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would presume that some of the Polish folks that lived around Hamtramack sprawled into this area also.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, I thought this was more of an Italian neighborhood.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3888
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool I see another C/O 90 student amongst us...

:-)

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There many Polish and Italian folks in the neighborhood, but it was the quintessential melting pot with mostly immigrants and first generation Americans. My grandparents were Polish immigrants. The family that lived on Knodell, behind my grandparents, immigrated from Scotland. One next door neighbor immigrated from France and the other from Italy. Two houses down, the family was from Germany. Across the street lived a family from Russia. Despite the language and custom differences, all managed to communicate and get along pretty well.

Urbanize

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was both. the whole Gratiot corridor from Downtown through probably Mt. Clemens always was majority Italian neigborhoods. However, the amount of Italians living in the areas did alter throughout the years, but stayed generally along Gratiot.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/94928.jpg
Is this what Detroit is to become? I hate it! The city is building this pap all over town. Real sad.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 444
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you'd rather have this?
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/94925.jpg

come on let's be realistic this is a very blighted neighborhood far from the downtown core that has any sort of appeal...providing affordable housing in an area that sorely needs it. It really doesn't look that bad

Royce

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, I think the homes are quite appealing for what you get for the price (which I honestly don't know since I've never seen a for sale sign in front of one). I do wonder how long all of that vinyl in the railings and the siding is going to hold up before having to be replaced.

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah.. wait and see what those homes will look like in 10 years. blight all over again.

Urbanize

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"oh yeah.. wait and see what those homes will look like in 10 years. blight all over again."

That's really being down to earth with it, no hope or anything.

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry but it's the truth. The beautiful craftsmenship that once was will never return.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 922
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you're saying, CKLW, but really? Very few people care! I'm not knocking you, but not many people "buy" craftsmanship anymore. These houses look better than what's being put up in the exurbs!

Those who appreciate craftsmanship will seek it out. It's a commodity.

Urbanize

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I know what you're saying, CKLW, but really? Very few people care! I'm not knocking you, but not many people "buy" craftsmanship anymore. These houses look better than what's being put up in the exurbs!

Those who appreciate craftsmanship will seek it out. It's a commodity."

Wrong! They only appreciate Craftsmanship like that if it's a far away from an area like the Van Dyke/Harper area as possible.

Cub

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what ever happened to the proposal for the City airport expansion....A lot of people in that area tought it was going to expand towards Harper.. I remember being a kid having men come up to some friends and i asking us to set some properties on fire for money. I hear that still goes on around here. ( No I never set any fires).

Urbanize

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what ever happened to the proposal for the City airport expansion....A lot of people in that area tought it was going to expand towards Harper.. I remember being a kid having men come up to some friends and i asking us to set some properties on fire for money. I hear that still goes on around here. ( No I never set any fires).

They still plan to expand, but the issue is getting the land to expand on. It's already located over a cemetary, and there would be nowhere else to go but through the cemetaries.

Royce

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump^

Cub

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Bump

Urbanize

Post Number: 952
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^try again (bump)

Joken
Username: Joken

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SEEING PICS OF THE OLD NEIGHBORHOOD BROUGHT BACK MANY FOND MEMORIES. I LIVED THERE FROM 1946 TO 1960 WHEN I JOINED THE NAVY. ATTENDED PATRONAGE OF ST JOE FROM 48 TO 56. LIVED ON MILNER.

Cub

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed this thread. I lived at 9633 (guess what street) for my entire childhood. I attended A. L. Holmes elementary from the late 80s til early 90s. My mom also attended A. L. Holmes in the 60s, and had most of the same teachers as I. She grew up at the corner of burns and my favorite block. My grandparents owned quite a few houses, a store on Harper, and a church on the corner of St. Joseph (near Mack) and Gratiot. They owned 2 homes on Peterhunt, 2 on Burns, 2 on Georgia, 1 on Chelsea, 1 on Rosemary, and another on 16th (which is odd). The grandparents gave each of the 8 kids (my aunts and uncles) a nice house. Well, my mom and one aunt still own homes on the east side. Two of my uncles houses are still in good condition, but have new owners. The rest are now vacant lots. I know what happened to the city... One of my uncles houses was auctioned for $12,000. After his death his wife let the house go. The house was beautiful, on the corner of Rosemary and Roseberry, a couple blocks from E. Outer Dr, but a little too close to Gratiot. I guess he had it coming, he sold my grandpa's church and a couple other houses that are now vacant lots...

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, my mom is friends with the folks that currently operate out of the former Patronage of St. Joseph. We used to go to the gym and the summer bible camp every year as kids. Anyway, the folks leasing/ buying the church could not afford the gym and school property, which was in poor but salvagable condition. So the Arch Diocese saw fit to tear down the school and gym, but leave the convent, which was in much worse condition. They also saw fit to remove the bell that rang for most of my youth. You can still see the old gym wall from the rear of the property, in pristine condition...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While looking up the National theatre I came across this. I know it ain't bout Georgia ST or Detroit.I grew up in Garden City, My block had folks of Southern heritage up and down,Spoke like "hillbillys" Dad included. Yet about the time I turned 16 while at my friends house about 5blocks to the west and in Westland, I heard all sorts of ethnic sounds, Polish,Romanian,and Austrian.
Seeing photos of the old Georgia St area and hearing the stories brought back memories to this suburban kid.
Better yet reminds me of when I was growing up and my father would talk to my Grandparents next door neighbor in the "North" Warrendale area. He'd say "Thats a nice old Polish fella", then want to go get pizza from the "Dago Bakery" on Joy RD.
As most former Detroit residents are not likely to be happy with how their old street looks, I have only been to Georgia St since Cub planted his garden. The before and after pix show the change. Thanks for the Stories and pictures of what once was. And hopefully can be again.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: