Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Ferndale's Xhedos Cafe in danger of closing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xhedos Cafe is having a rough time of it right now and needs some help to stay open. See their Myspace Page for details. Caleb has requested open letters to soften the heart of the landlord, or the judge the landlord is bringing Caleb before. I take the somewhat melodramatic, new-urbanist save-us-all stance in mine, but I also mean it. And let's keep the suburb-bashing to a minimum: we all benefit from steps toward building and maintaining a diverse, functional region, city or suburb.

To all concerned:

Michigan is losing population at an increasing pace. Part of this is inevitable with the loss of manufacturing jobs, but a significant portion of it is because the so-called "creative class" moves to cities -- usually out-of-state -- that offer plentiful vibrant, cosmopolitan centers. In addition to traditional economic approaches for turning the the state around, creating what new urbanist James Howard Kunstler calls "places worth caring about" is also essential. Xhedos Cafe is an anchor of such a place.

Xhedos was one of the earlier businesses to begin to turn Ferndale into the small-scale but substantial destination for the creative class it is today, and it is my view that it could be the beginning of an unraveling thread for downtown Ferndale should it close. Xhedos is a foundational business which got the ball rolling on the revival of Ferndale itself; I have no doubt that the reason the buildings along the downtown section of 9 Mile are valuable is a direct result of xhedos and a rare handful of other pioneering establishments that make the place a welcoming destination. It is the only reason I'm willing to drive 20 minutes from my home just for some coffee and conversation, and while I'm around I get specialty groceries from across the street and go record shopping or buy lunch next door.

For the sake of maintaining and improving the quality of life for us all rather than seeing cities as only zones of residence for sleeping and commerce for buying, let's all work in tandem to keep the doors open.

Sincerely,
Joseph C. Krause
Fraser

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was "creative" meant to be a code word for something?

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 738
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never been to Xhedos have you Livernoisyard.
You should stop by, it is a interesting place.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't drink coffee or wouldn't want to drive any great distance for it, if I drank the stuff.

This seems like a typical tenant/landlord situation whereby a tenant's business plan just doesn't cut the mustard and the landlord wants him out because the rent wasn't paid. Even if the tenant gets the rent in arrears via loans or running benefits, he's still without a contract if he's already been to court and all.

Seems to be a normal breach of contract, and the landlord wants and probably already has a stable tenant in mind. Time to move on because the law is on the side of the landlord. Besides, a stable business makes it on its own and not by running "benefits" every few weeks...

I see tons of vacant storefronts in many parts of Metro Detroit. If I owned and rented out such properties, I'd seek out better tenancy myself, lest they become vacant and nonproductive also.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5530
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hunchentoot,

Michigan is NOT losing population. The urban cities that are within Michigan are losing population. The owner of Xhedos must know that his store is in the middle of the corporate competitive market from Starbucks, Panera Bread, Au Bon Pain, Dunkin'Donuts/31 Baskin Robbins and many more. He lost out becuase not only he could pay the rent but also of the competitive imperialist society we are living in. JUST WINNERS AND LOSERS.

(Message edited by danny on February 20, 2007)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The owner of Xhedos must know that his store is in the middle of the corporate competitive market from Starbucks, Panera Bread, Au Bon Pain, Dunkin'Donuts/31 Baskin Robbins and many more. He lost out becuase not only he could pay the rent but also of the competitive imperialist society we are living in. JUST WINNERS AND LOSERS.

Just in case there might be a thinking person out there who is inclined to agree with that statement, let me counter with the argument that we are actually living in a competitive capitalistic society where competition can sustain many successful businesses. Why do you think that so many auto dealerships locate near each other? Why do most cities have a theater district?

Consumers like to have choices and if they know that an area offers more than one source of what they are looking to buy, they will go there, even if it is farther away from their home.

The losers are typically those who either don't understand the market, offer sub-par service or fail to devise a competitive strategy to win repeat business.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5534
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,

The corporate imperialist competitive system in America is working TOO WELL and is going TOO FAR! More corporate retail markets means more competition so that consumers can have the choice to buy ang goods and service that want. The American consumers these days want the prime things:

1. LOW PRICES

2. BETTER LOCATION DURING COMMUTING

3. FREE, FREE, FREE!!!

... and they want it NOW! otherwise they would some place else leaving the other corporate retial markets in dispair. These days, most mom and pop retail stores in your friendly communities are getting close to being extict. Except for New York City, Chicago and L.A. Where city government and their lower sales and property taxes made it possible for them and keeping other corporate franchises OUT! Detroit and its surrounding suburbs could do the same than just get rid of the SBT. So I say please shop at your local mom and pop retail before they disappear just like Xhedos Cafe.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One good thing about livin in the D...No corporate chains.....open after 5

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, you're right. Michigan is gaining population and the urban areas are losing. I stand corrected and have revised my letter.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem may well be landlords in this particular case.

Ferndale already lost Frostbite, the ice-cream parlor.

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the deck is stacked way towards the franchises- people would rather go with a predictable experience instead of trying more humble and interesting places (like xhedos or pronto or the fly trap or "insert independent business here").

although not always practical (most independents have their closed sign flipped by 6)- any place that is going to keep their dollars in metro detroit should be high priority when out shopping.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xhedos is a wonderful establishment and would truly be a loss for Ferndale. When I was younger I used to hang out at coffee shops in Ferndale all the time. Kept me out of trouble and exposed me to some really cool local folk music. Of the three or four I frequented, Xhedos is the only one still in existance.

Hunchentoot is exactly correct in saying that if it wasn't for Xhedos and other local businesses, the area would never be what it is today, and now Xhedos has to pay the price for helping its community.

However, it is not the landlord's fault, nor the fault of the judge if this place closes. If you want to save it, go there and spend your money. Or they could have a benefit night. Blaming the market is only going to get you yelled at by LY for being a commie.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 740
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why do you think that so many auto dealerships locate near each other? Why do most cities have a theater district?

Zoning.........

quote:

Ferndale already lost Frostbite, the ice-cream parlor.

That place was doomed from the day it opened. The business model was poor and the ice cream was not anything special.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xhedos Cafe has been around for over 10 years. I would say that is pretty stable unlike Livernoisyard had suggested. I would suggest driving up Livernois and learn about the place befor commenting at all. Only a Cheesecake Factory or EPSN Zone or Starbucks can save Ferndale now just like they are going to save Detorit. Bring on the chains.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 913
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad. I played live there a couple years ago, but now I live in Detroit and don't hang out in Ferndale that much anymore.

Here's an interesting snippet. I was in Toronto a couple weekends ago. We ate breakfast at a mom and pop diner on strip full of trendy chain clothing stores (Roots, Banana Republic, etc.). A friend of mine pointed out that the place has been there for decades (and it looked it -- no remodels, no menu changes probably EVER). I asked why they haven't been pushed out. She noted that they owned their own building. Note to small business owners, if you want to survive, own your building.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One would think with the very high vacancy rates of small- to medium-sized buildings, among others, and the relatively low price for ownership, especially between now and ten years ago, that it would be quite unwise not to own the real estate. More than likely, the business was just too close to insolvency, or otherwise some lending institution could have helped out.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to say it but Xheodos to me, was very cliquish and snooty. Too many hypersensitive politically correct types. Those damned hippie wanna bes always messed up the food. On the surface with the retro hippie styles and volkswagon vans parked out front you would think it was an open friendly place, but once youve been there on several occassions you would probably feel the tension from the competetiveness between artists and performers.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would argue that the unique Independant stores, coffee, novelty, whatever give a community a sense of character that draws customers for a unique shopping experience.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The landlord is in business also to make money. Lets start a letter writing campaign on his behalf. Im sure his bills will stop because of these folks business woes.

Ferndale would have become what is is today with or without Xheodos.

Why dont we start writing letters to potential car buyers to beg them to buy American.

Stop crying, pay your rent or move on.

Gene

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh

Do you think that the independent loan,insurance,beauty salons,nail salons,and party stores that line both sides of 8 Mile Rd from one end to the other add a sense of character to those communities?

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if anyone really cares the coffee beanery in ferndale closed last week.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the strip malls and shops on 9 Mile in Macomb County still have some vacancies? It's been going on two years since my last being there, and there seemed to be vacancies and stores in the process of closing.

Older machine shops seemed to have been closed for some time, and quite a few on 9 or 10 Mile had those ubiquitous yellow/black Signature for rent/sale signs.

Gene

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So its probably too late to write any letters for the Coffee Beanery?

(Message edited by gene on February 20, 2007)

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as some of the folks here are concerned, every business in Ferndale lacks a solid business model.

I drive past Frostbite and Coffee Beanery almost on a daily basis up and down Woodward during various hours of the day. I am also a customer at these places. If these 2 establishments have closed down, there honestly isn't much hope for any other businesses to stay around long, including Xhedos Cafe. So, safe the cost of stamps on writing letters.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One major problem with such shops revolves upon the fickleness of the consumers. I experienced such eateries/shops where I lived elsewhere being popular for a year or so, and poof! The customers find other favorite stores, and on it goes. A fictitious "Closed for remodeling" is often the result.

A ten-year run might probably be a good lifetime for such a place. But alas for the proprietor, he's history.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried Xhedos for the first time about 3 months ago. I enjoyed the food, the coffee, the service, the free open-mike entertainment. Half-hour drive there, half-hour drive back. I don't think I'll be driving an hour anytime soon to experience an evening of chain coffee.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move downtown Xhedos!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paraphrase Yogi Berra: "It's the kind of place that became so popular nobody goes there anymore."

Johnlodge

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ferndale would have become what is is today with or without Xheodos."

I still disagree. Xhedos, Gotham City Cafe, and another shop I can't recall the name of really turned a young crowd on to Ferndale, including me. A lot of the people who came for the nightlife in Ferndale ended up moving there, I personally know many examples. Are you from Ferndale? Did you visit there often in the early 90's when this was going on? I guess not, or you would have witnessed it. If not, save your assumptions.

Gene

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Post Bar was the real turning point.Comos expansion and patio also comes to mind. How about Marias Front Room and the Woodward Ave Brewery. Most are still in business.

Lived and worked in Ferndale during the Studio North and Loving Touch Massage Parlor days. Stand by "Ferndale would have become what it is today with or with out Xheodos".

Get over Xheodos, time heals.

Club Bart's burgers,salads and entertainment are miles above that hippie esoteric environment that killed Xheodos.

(Message edited by gene on February 21, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Post Bar opened in 1998. The WAB opened in 1997. Expanding a restaurant does not bring more people. You expand when there's already enough people there to warrant it.

Ferndale's turn around started way before this. The coffee shops I mentioned, plus the Magic Bag opening in 1991 after Studio North finally went under in 1989, and a couple of excellent indy record shops on 9 mile are what began the transformation. Revitilization happens slowly, and it's these business, INCLUDING XHEDOS (not sure why you refuse to spell it correctly. http://www.xhedos.com/) that began the change.

Once people were coming to Ferndale and enjoying these great shops and restaurants, the chains caught on and started moving in en mass. By the late 90's, which you are insinuating is when the transformation took place, the foundation was already in place.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, Club Bart's IS a great place. It also opened in 1997 though. As a matter of fact, I'm going there tonight to see two great musicians play and enjoy one of those fine hamburgers, and I'm going to do so as esoterically as possible.

Gene

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge

Have you ever worked or lived in Ferndale? At any time?

The Dream Cruise has also been a factor. High rents in Royal Oak and the high crime rate of the Palmer Park area south of Ferndale are more likely the factors responsible for Ferndales turn around.

Have a nice evening.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't think you've refuted anything I've said. You've just changed your story. You were better off with the Post as an example than the Dream Cruise or high crime next door.

Sorry, a once a year event that causes ungodly traffic and that many businesses have admitted actually HURTS their business (anything not immediately on Woodward) does not do more to turn a city around than small businesses moving in. I'm in Ferndale every day and basically have been since 92.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friday-Sunday • 23-25
Rent Party Benefit
MUSIC/COMMUNITY

After staying afloat in a dicey biz since 1996, Xhedos Café — one of the last coffeehouse music venues around town — is in the red. They've been behind on their rent for six months in a row, and we're told that the landlord has had it. To save what seems like an institution, scads of local musicians — all of whom have played at Xhedos over the years — have generously donated their talents for a weekend-long music festival to help bring the coffeehouse current on rent. The event kicks off with an appearance from Mirror Mirror, which boasts Tino Gross and Johnny Evans from Howling Diablos and Alex Trajano of Bluedog. More than 50 bands are to perform in all, including Larval, Ben Cyllus, Luis Resto of Was (Not Was) and Eminem fame, the Salt Miners, Matt Smith, Molly-Jean, Loretta and the Larkspurs, Jill Jack, Troy Gregory and Benny Stufi. At Xhedos Café, 240 W. Nine Mile Rd., Ferndale; 248-399-3946; $10 donation.

Source - Metrotimes

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: