Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » ItsJeff has passed away « Previous Next »
This super thread is dedicated to the memory of ItsJeff -- Jeff Colby 1964 - 2007 -- whose personality, generosity and kindness created so many real life friendships among the members of this forum. CLICK HERE to visit the ItsJeff Memorial Page.
ItsJeff has passed away - 1One_shot101 02-20-07  1:03 pm
ItsJeff has passed away - 2Young_detroiter74 02-20-07  2:03 am
Freep pays tribute to JeffFormerdetroiter17 03-05-07  5:12 pm
Wake for ItsJeffEast_detroit56 02-25-07  9:54 pm
Honoring the Memory of ItsJeffEast_detroit32 01-15-08  1:17 pm
  Start New Thread        

Click Here to go to the first post of this entire thread.
The web page "Honoring the Memory of ItsJeff" is located here.
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11289
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just blogged this and thought I would share much of what I wrote, as I am viewing Jeff's loss as a challenge to all of us.

quote:

After the movie I filled up on gas, grabbed a few energy drinks, then drove to Belle Isle. I parked and sat there in my car for probably an hour, staring at the skyline. I thought back to the picnics Jeff organized on the island, all the times he greeted me with a friendly smile, and how greatly he will be missed by so many....and it hurt....and it still hurts.

My thoughts kept coming back to the same question, "Why?" I can't think of a person I ever met in my life that was more beneficial to mankind. His life represented a model in which all of society should try to conform to in regards to kindness, friendship, and ability to bring sunshine to the gloomiest of days. I'd be lying if I said my situation, being unemployed, isn't really starting to eat away at me. My parents notice, my friends notice, and I can see it in the eyes of people when they ask "How are you doing?" Yet Jeff was that type of person that that made all that go away. Recently he asked, offered advice, and constant words of support that it will all work out for me eventually. Here was a guy that was confident that his change in career was the right step, one that he looked forward to, and days later he would be gone. The cornerstone for many of us, the pillar of support when we needed it most, and he was ripped away all too soon, and again I was asking myself "why?"

I find myself battling my own beliefs, my doubts I have had for many years. The question as to what our purpose here is, and whether or not there truly is something greater when our time expires. I ask this question, then find myself realizing, if in fact there is a greater purpose after life, can I really think of a more powerful or influential person to lead that charge than Jeff? While I look at the loss in which all of us are now faced with, if I choose to believe, even for a second, that this life isn't the end of the line, then I find myself accepting that Jeff is exactly the type of person that needs to assist in this greater cause.

While I was watching the movie last night, a story Jeff once told me came to mind. I can't remember all the details, but it will give you an idea of what type of guy he was for those who didn't know him personally.

Jeff was walking down the sidewalk one day, I believe with another friend, when he noticed somebody with a map out that was obviously lost. He approached this person, who I believe was visiting from Japan and spoke little English, and offered his assistance. The guy was doing a walking tour of Detroit and was looking for certain buildings, though could not find them. Jeff spent the next few hours showing this visitor around town, took the man to lunch, then saw the guy's eyes light up when he asked if he would like to see the Motown Museum. The guy was a huge Motown fan and it simply made his trip. This was the type of guy Jeff was. Your normal good samaritan would have simply helped the guy out with the map, if even that. Yet Jeff was a man who went to the extra mile. Ask yourself, how many people do you know who would have done the same?

In the beginning, myself and another friend organized these FSC (Forum Social Club, members of DetroitYes) meetings at bars. Back in the day it was Mondays/Wednesdays, Monday at The Well, then Wednesday at the State Bar. Back then, I was labeled the Social Director, or something cheesy along those lines. I welcomed new people to our cheap beer nights out, introduced them to the group, and hoped to see them again soon. It was how I came to know Jeff.

At the time, I felt I was liked by all, inviting, and went out of my way so everybody felt welcome. Perhaps I got burned out, I don't know, but I now realize I changed. Maybe it was the city that has wore me down, my life, my job at the time, or some outside influence. As years have past, a rift between people I once called close friends has formed. Not everybody found me to be that glue that held everybody together as I felt I once was. Some have even grown to despise me. I would look at Jeff and see a person that at one time was more like, yet never on equal grounds with. His loss makes me wish to strive to be that better person again, as I feel that there is this huge void that exists now, not only in my heart, but in society. I realize that Jeff will no longer be there to help the lost foreigner, to take him to lunch, and show him around town.

I feel that it is my obligation and that of everybody who knew him to pick up that torch that lie in the dirt before it goes out. To carry that torch proudly throughout life and challenge ourselves to strive to become the man Jeff was. Perhaps Jeff was taken from us for a reason. So many used him as a crutch in life, as somebody who we admired, but perhaps never challenged ourselves to be more like. Now that the crutch is gone, we have a choice. We can either allow ourselves to fall, or we can use his strength to learn to stand on our own, to become the crutch for others when they need us. We should all hope that when our time comes, people look back and appreciate everything we have done. The weight is upon all of our shoulders to make sure that this legacy of kindness lives on. Jeff's loss should be a lesson for all of us, a lesson in which we all use his knowledge to become better people.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is sooooo sad. I only met ItsJeff once at an FSC outing a few years ago, but that was all it took to appreciate him. He will be sorely missed. RIP

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never met him but I could tell by looking at his picture that he was a wonderful person.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for those good words, sport.
I've thought of one possible way we could pay tribute to Jeff Colby, which would be to photoshop his face into some historical Detroit photos.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The weight is upon all of our shoulders to make sure that this legacy of kindness lives on.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Thanks SS.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3655
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All right all right all right....we've all had our chance to process some grief....

Do we really think all this maudlin stuff is the true way to honor Jeff? Manrooter would be horrified!

Was it over when the Livonians bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hell no!

Are we going to fight back?

Hell yes!

Lowell! Dig up his photoshops! (Especially that nice one of Compuware with the doorknob)

Somebody link to the Detroityes1805 thread!

To the archives!

Manrooter would have wanted it this this way...

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 words:

Typhoon Longwang...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, thank you for sharing that reflection on Jeff, his personality, and his example. I have gone to moderate lengths to help perfect strangers, but dang, not like that. Talk about Goodwill Ambassadors for Detroit... Can we even imagine what an impression, about Detroit, was made on that stranger, by Jeff's abundant kindness? Wow. Your somewhat self-directed suggestion that we might all want to consider at least trying to follow that example, and carry that torch, may seem like quite a tall order, but it puts me in mind of a Buddhist proverb: "If we are heading in the right direction, all we need to do is keep walking." Again, thank you for sharing your contemplations with us.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are We Going to War with Livonia?

Forum Archives, January 10, 1806

Prepare for pounding by Typhoon Longwang!

I submitted a thread at fark.com, where itsjeff was a poster since 2003.

www.fark.com ItsJeff thread

It's weird is that I knew Jeff at Fark, a couples of years before I ever ran into him on this site. He had the same sense of humor as the rest of us whackos over there.

Skulker

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A direct hit by Dabirch! That the spirit!

Has anyone heard from whatshername?

VailColorado?
ValKilmer?
VainKittie?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice and touching posts all. In their totality they express my feelings, grief and sense of unfair loss of this great and wonderful person who brightened and enlightened our lives.

There has been a suggestion that I set up special PayPal portal for donations. I can certainly and quickly do this, but before I do so I need to know you think the donations would go for.

To keep this thread purely for tributes, please offer your suggestions in that regard in the "Wake for ItsJeff" thread.

I would also note that as this would pass through my company [AtDetroit] account the process would need to be totally transparent. Donations, the amounts and a name, even if only a forum name, would need to be made public so there will be no questions.

You may be interested to see something we did over on Soulful Detroit to honor the unmarked grave of the tragically shortened life of Detroit soul singer Darrell Banks. Click Here for that wonderful story.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a historical moment: Henry Ford whispers in jeff's ear

Skulker

Post Number: 3657
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only Henry has listened to Itsjeff about that grill on the Edsels.....

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'whatshername' is around...i started reading these posts when i got home from being out of town this weekend. i got the news late saturday night, i was in shock then, and i still am. and after reading all the kind words and heartfelt comments here, i have no idea what to say that hasn't been said already. jeff was very obviously a kind person who's existence has touched many people in many different ways...probably even more than he could have ever imagined, and i am sure that where ever he is now that he knows that.

i will say that his passing, along with another friend of mine who also passed a few weeks ago, has made me fully realize that life is way too short...to hold a grudge, to be angry, to be sad, to wait on having lunch with that friend you haven't seen in awhile, to not tell a family member that you love them, to tell anyone close to you that you appreciate them.

and in response to skulker's request for more of the happier thoughts...i gotta admit, those names itsjeff came up for my name have been going through my head quite a bit this weekend...volcanicash, valkanslosh, valkaline, valkaseltzer...i know i am forgetting a few, but reading those on foggy friday mornings always helped wake me up with a good laugh :-)

Skulker

Post Number: 3658
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vagcurious was a favorite....

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met itsjeff only once a few years ago at a forum picnic... I haven't attended many forum social events. In the last couple of months I've been meaning to get out of my neighborhood more and connect with some other Detroiters & forumers by stopping by a Thursday night FSC, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. Now I'm very sad that I didn't. However, I WILL stop by one in the near future. RIP Jeff.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4853
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport and Hornwrecker, both with really wonderful posts about Itsjeff. He touched all of us. He reached out to jjaba ofcourse, giving jjaba a first class tour of downtown and Eastside.
Jeff drove jjaba to the Studebaker site to pick bricks out of the pile after the fire. jjaba then gave them away to Forum members at Detroit Brewing Co. a few nights later.

Jeff knew downtown like none other. He carted about Detroit, about his adopted city, and served the people as a Federal Law Clerk for 20 years.

Sad day in Detroit.
jjaba.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only knew itsjeff through his postings here. But, they were always the most witty, charming, humorous, as I'm sure Jeff, himself was. He was the reason I joined this forum. We were truly blessed to have known him and have him affect each of us.

I send sincere condolences to his Family and (countless) Friends. As someone mentioned, above, he's probably smiling looking down at all of us and is at peace.

Rest, My Friend I never met but Always Admired.

(Wow! There are so many postings going up on Itsjeff's thread that I had to submit four times before it got through! I doubt there has EVER been a thread with such activity - Another tribute to GREATEST D-YES FORUMER OF ALL TIME)

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As reader of this forum since it's inception, and only recently starting to post. I've read a lot of ItsJeff's post's over the years. I must say that he brought a lot of civility and humor to threads that may have gone awry. I live in a small farming town in Indiana now. And though I have'nt been able to make friends as of yet on this forum, I see how a man of such character has touched so many of your lives. I am so sorry for your loss as well as the families. One gets to meet very few people in life that consider you as a friend from day one. Jeff sounds like such a person. Along with his dedication to the city of Detroit!? Such great attributes in one human being are not found that often.
Forumer's pleases accept my deepest regrets! I only wish that I was able to meet and converse with such a man. I know for sure my life would be much richer for having done so!
God Bless the Colby Family and Jeff's hundred's of friends.
Gtat44

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will always remember Jeff for two things:

1) Making me laugh out loud more than anyone (from his posts).

2) His kindness when he worked as a Law Clerk at the Clerk’s Office for the United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan (thanks, jjaba, for mentioning Jeff’s work at the Federal Courthouse). The folks in the Clerk’s Office can, understandably get cranky while dealing with lawyers all day long. Yet, Jeff wasn’t like that. He was always nice to me & everyone else in the Clerk’s Office, even before we were introduced in a Forum capacity.

I’ll miss his humor & his kindness. Here’s wishing his family & friends the very best always.

Angie Williams

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Arab_guyumich:

quote:

Jeff was one of the coolest dudes I've ever known. It's true that I've only met him twice in real life, and the second time for all of 10 seconds...but thats all it took to discover how truly amazing he was. He had a big heart, a welcoming soul, and his head contained some of the most clever shit around. I don't keep many emails in my archives, but I have every email that Jeff ever sent me, because they were funny and brilliant and worth keeping. I guess that's Jeff in a nutshell.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just have so many thoughts of Jeff running through my mind today...All I know is that I am so going to miss the great big bear hug and kiss that he always gave me whenever we ran into each other!!! I'm going to miss our discussions, rare that they were these days, on a platitude of topics, Detroit and otherwise!! He will always be in my heart!!

Thank you so much, Hornwrecker, for digging up the 1806 thread!! That was such a hoot when Jeff created his opening post and it hasn't lost its impact. He really was a keen observer of humanity, as shown in how he so accurately portrayed us!! What a wonderful tribute to Jeff's humor and wit!

Sarge

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His early shows at the Grande were unparalleled!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a wonderful person to have touched so many in such a positive light. The pictures posted on this thread show a bright positive human being. Wish more of us could have his demeanor and positive influence on our fellows.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3850
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I think we should have a thread that contains all of itsJeffs PhotoShops, (especially the ones with Skulker lol) those were always funny...

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4233
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry but I need to vent for a second. I knew Jeff well and he was a friend but certainly others were much closer to him. I don't pretend that I was his best friend in the world. However he was someone who meant a great deal to me and I'd like to think I meant something to him as well. I'm finding myself angry and kind of sick that Jeff’s tragic and all too sudden passing is being treated like a freak show.

I don't mean the friendly, jovial banter from Jeff's friends that reflect Jeff's wonderful and witty spirit. I'm talking about people who knew him, at best, vaguely. Many of the remembrances of Jeff is heartfelt and honest. They are nice to read. But people who cluck out sorry little lines such as "I never knew him but he seemed like a wonderful person on the internet" are turning my stomach and I know the stomachs of others.

Jeff was a human being not a computer character. Even the guest book on the funeral home site is littered with message about Jeff's internet persona. Knowing someone's internet persona is not the same as knowing a person in real life. It's disrespectful to those who knew him well, and are really grieving, to behave like you knew Jeff closely.

Another thing, those of you whose first thoughts upon hearing this news was to ponder your own mortality, shame on you as well. How self-centered and narcissistic can you possibly be? And couldn't you, for a moment, just set your narcissism aside?

To paraphrase William Hurt from that terrible, terrible movie the Big Chill: some of you once knew Jeff a short while and under vague circumstances. I knew him as a friend for only a few years and I am grateful for that time. I miss him already. His last words to me were a week ago Saturday, 'come to breakfast at HonestJohns more often'. I wish I had. But I can't begin to imagine the grief his family must be feeling or his co-workers who knew him for 20+ years. Nor would I attempt to act as though I did or that my grief was equal.

I wonder if we couldn't just take a deep breath and slow this train down. The out-pouring of love for Jeff is fantastic and wherever he is I am sure he appreciates it but let's not cheapen this moment of sorrow by overdoing it or projecting our own insecurities into this tragedy.

I know Jeff would have never done either of those things, or allowed them to happen, if it had been one of us who passed. Let's show him the same loyalty and respect that he earned in his rich life.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for giggles from heaven.

Boy could I use a big ItJeff bear hug right now.

Sarge

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't forget that one time ItsJeff was hanging with hizzoner:

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya...good feelings over in 5, 4, 3, 2, NOW.

I've been reading these posts and touched at how not only It'sJeff touched so many people, but this forum and method of communication. How long or how well people knew Jeff, did they ever meet him, are they writing from the heart, or simply to comfort the family...none of that matters. It's a wonderful and beautiful thread. Let's keep it that way.

Jelk, I'm very sorry for your loss...sounds like you were pretty close with Jeff. I miss him already too.

For any and all of you AbFab lovers out there, it reminds me of Eddie distantly comforting Saffie..."Heal...heal...tears...squish squish...heal...heaaaallll...."

hahahaha. Laughing for (and with) you Jeff!

d

Quinn

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had another great mental image...

Coleman Young welcoming Jeff to the "Detroit in the Sky."

Coleman Young: "Aloha Motherfu$ka! Lemme show you around town. We actually built the Pan Am building on up in here and have subway trains..."

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just take a deep breath and slow this train down. The outpouring of love for Jeff is fantastic ... but let's not cheapen this moment of sorrow by overdoing it

Well-put, Jelk.

Thank you for thoughts worth reflecting on as we navigate this not-fully-charted channel . . . a public place for genuine comfort, sincere caring and also other ripples.

The PhotoShop mashups do seem a bit much and too soon, frankly.

It's all quite unusual, as I've mentioned to a few others since the weekend flow began, and seems like the type of new media phenomenon that will be studied and commented on eventually by sociologists or anthropologists, inevitably.

But we don't need them to hear real voices with real pain . . . or to show the loyalty and respect that Jelk reminds us is as appropriate here as it will be tomorrow afternoon at Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home.

Histeric

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to be too cutesy but WWIJD?

Seriously.

What Would ItsJeff Do?

Newman
Username: Newman

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always jealous of Jeff because Lee loved him more. After meeting him, I understood why.

Seasons Change
Days Go By
People Come and People Go
Though our paths lead us apart
We will meet again I know

For I owe you, so much dear friend
For all the treasured times
For you made me a richer man
Having had you in my life.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Death does funny things to people. We all grieve in different ways, at different paces. For some, things like the PhotoShop pix are an expression of that grief, & it doesn’t mean those folks care any less. Of course, not everyone agrees, but that doesn’t mean this particular expression of grief is any less sincere.

When a loved one passed away a couple years back, it was mind-boggling how everyone’s grieving differed, & I was extremely angry with some relatives for not being “serious enough.” Looking back, I now realize those relatives were grieving—their lack of seriousness was their way of dealing with death. I wish I had been more understanding then.

I suspect Jeff appreciates everyone’s expressions of their grief on this forum, & I suspect he would have extended open arms to those he never met.

Quinn

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Awfavre...I also think that time helps out too.

I was so saddened yesterday that all I could do was read the posts here and read comforting poetry. I'm now moving on to that point at which I want to celebrate his life.

I really believe he is in that fabulous Detroit we always dream of in the Sky.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pics?

Skulker

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was always jealous of Jeff because Lee loved him more. After meeting him, I understood why.

Wait - - I'm confused, I thought your crush on Jeff was much larger than Lee's crush on Jeff, because, well, you're more his type and were more likely to get to third base with him.

Or do you mean that Lee liked Jeff more than she likes you? Well, don't take it out on Jeff, she likes belly button lint more than she likes you.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3054
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy smokes! I just got home and got the terrible news, and I'm too shocked to know what to say that hasn't been said already. I hardly knew Jeff but I sensed he was a true gentleman - a real class act.

Jeff, you will be missed by more people than you ever imagined.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An Freep blog column about Jeff and the internet:

Jeff Colby: 1964-2007. Mourned by people who knew him and people who knew him only in cyberspace

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070219/BLO G07/70219045/1140

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press is doing a story about Jeff for tomorrow's edition. Better late than never and rightfully deserved.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8405
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect we'll see a few news types around the service tomorrow...along with an emergency contingent of Pontiac police as they desperately attempt to control traffic around the funeral home.

They really don't know what they are up for...

Jelk,
I'm sorry, but this is not the place to exclude others, even IF that is your way of grieving. Yours is not the only way, my friend...I hope you learn the grace necessary to allow others the latitude to express themselves as inadequately as they are capable.

We are ALL inadequate and unable to evaluate this new hand we've been dealt...indeed we are ALL crying out from our own isolation and hopelessness to change the situation.

May the One Who Made Everything give each of us exactly what we need to breathe and merely exist today...on our way to learning that everything else is icing on the cake of life.

Sincerely.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone gave me some wise consul today to be less angry. I'm trying very hard to keep that consul after reading Gannon's post.

So I will tell you a Jeff story. He and I went to a Tigers game early last season. In fact that's when he bought that yellow Tigers hat. The Tigers were up by one in the top of the ninth with two men out. Jeff stands up and says he's going to have a smoke. I looked at him cock-eyed, pointing out that the game was damn near over. We laughed about that exchange many times afterward. Jeff wasn't much of a sports fan but he really enjoyed the two or three times I went with him to ballgames, including a trip to see the Mudhens. He liked the parks, he liked the relaxed atmosphere, and I think he liked learning about the game from friends. Now I'm sure if I had tried to explain to him the infield fly rule he would have been bored to tears but he was glad to know that you don't get up with two outs in the ninth. Also I once sent him a link to a Gabe Kapler fan page. I think he liked that as well.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so shocked! I JUST saw the news of his passing on the newspaper's website, and hightailed over here to the Forum

I always enjoyed ItsJeff's post....to me, he was one of the mainstays of this Forum, an anchor. He will be so missed

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff was not afraid to take the bull by the horns. He was also a poster at Free Republic, defending our fair city and other issues dear to his heart.
http://www.freerepublic.com/fo cus/user-posts?id=21522

He will be missed by many.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is sad to hear the passing of a great ambassador from the city of Detroit. I remember my first post on this website, and Jeff replying with the answer of "there is only room for one Jeff on this forum." I must say he always could make you laugh. I hope one day I am half the cheerleader that this man was for the city of Detroit!!!

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easter 1969

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who's posted here for several years, I've truly enjoyed reading his posts and his contributions to this city and region. No matter if you were a newbie or an old timer, ItsJeff always welcomed you and discussed things with respect.

If it's possible he belongs in the HOF by himself.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, I understand how you feel..
One of my best friends in the world was Krystal. We met thru the internet. But she lived in California. We visited each other as often as possible and talked everyday.
She died 3 years ago, and I was also angry and baffled when people came out of the woodwork posting responses in her livejournal.
I felt like how dare you, you never knew her.
But then you realize that there are these remarkable people that walk this earth. They touch more lives than we know...leaving permanent handprints on so many hearts.
Itsjeff is one of them.
What you are feeling is ok and its normal.
Like my friend Krystal always said to me during sad times, This too shall pass.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in the city is that picture above? Nice houses.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Pontiac.

(Message edited by dan on February 19, 2007)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest in peace, Jeff. Detroit was not worthy of such a kind soul... but it was certainly richer.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 741
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't seem to think of any words that would do Jeff's passing justice, so I'll just leave it at this:

Though I never met him, Itsjeff was my favorite forumer and this news saddens me more than I can imagine; I feel for his family and friends who must be incredibly heartbroken.

I always enjoyed his witty and clever posts, and will miss his civility, along with his bright and fun-loving comments, and the positive perspective he brought to nearly every thread. We can all learn from his example. This forum and city will be a grayer place without him.

Fly high my man.

(I'll miss Manrooter too).

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4509
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a guy who cared about our fair city behind the scenes as much as he did, he's certainly deserves the praise and accolades he's getting now. The article in the Freep and the out pouring of thoughts here really articulate what Jeff meant to the community.

We're all richer for having "met" him and poorer in the loss at his passing.

Velma
Username: Velma

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to the fact that I don't sleep anymore, I decided to look for the famous ItsJeff "abstracts." After 2 hours, I thought I found them, but was sadly disappointed. My search continues....

http://web.archive.org/web/200 50101044223/https://www.detroityes. com/index.html

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can leave comments on the story at:
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070220/NEWS05/ 702200322/1001/NEWS

Detroit's online community mourns

February 20, 2007

BY BILL McGRAW
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A lot of people were mourning the death of Jeff Colby on Monday.

And many of them never met him in person.

They were participating in a peculiarly 21st-Century ritual, a modern wake: They paid respects to a person they knew only in cyberspace through Colby's succinct and funny comments in Internet forums.

Online, Colby's personality flourished like it had in real life, where he was known as personable, smart and droll.

Colby was a 42-year-old Detroiter who died in his sleep Friday, possibly of a heart attack, said his mother, Nancy Heider.

He had worked for 20 years in the clerk's office of the U.S. District Court in Detroit, but started a new job selling life insurance Feb. 12.

On farkFark.com, an irreverent news site with a wide national following, and on DetroitYES!, a popular site for people to exchange information and opinions about Detroit's past and present, Colby was known by his online name, Itsjeff.

DetroitYES! member Blessyouboys, one of dozens to post comments about Colby, wrote: "Never did I have the pleasure of meeting him in person, yet his presence was always felt personally on this forum. His unquestionable dedication intertwined with his quick wit and intelligence was one of a kind. You'll be missed."

Another DetroitYES! forum member, Mtm, wrote: "I only knew Itsjeff through his postings here. But they were always the most witty, charming, humorous, as I'm sure Jeff, himself, was. ...We were truly blessed to have known him and have him affect each of us."

Lowell Boileau, an artist and DetroitYES! founder, called Colby's death -- and the Internet mourning -- "a sad and remarkable event."

"Hundreds, maybe thousands, would have only known of him online," he added.

Boileau said that Colby was the unofficial DetroitYES! social director who organized real-life outings and met many people face-to-face.

"He was the one there always making newbies on- and offline feel welcome -- a real angel and great ambassador for Detroit," Boileau said.

Bernard Friedman, the chief judge of U.S. District Court in Detroit, knew Colby as a friend and court employee.

"He was the epitome of public service," Friedman said, explaining that Colby went out of his way to help people who were representing themselves, a daunting task in federal court.

Colby even traveled on his own time to prisons to help inmates understand the forms they needed to file pleadings.

"He thought that was his duty," Friedman said.

Heider, Colby's mother, said her son had "truly blossomed in the past few years" since he became involved with the DetroitYES! online forum.

"That meant the world to him," she said. "I never realized how involved he was."

In addition to his mother, Colby is survived by his father, Richard Colby.

A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. today at the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home, 46 William St., in Pontiac. A viewing will begin at 2 p.m.

Contact BILL McGRAW at 313-223-4781 or bmcgraw@freepress.com

Velma
Username: Velma

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, if you click on the little Discuss Detroit icon towards the top left corner, then click connections, scroll almost all the way to the bottom and there's a "Best of ItsJeff" thread. The words remain, but the pics are gone. However, you can read quite a bit of 'ItsJeff, The Early Years' throughout those threads.

Histeric

Post Number: 773
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I thought my tears were dried up. Jelk, I really do love and respect you my friend. Having had similar instructive moments at ballgames with you, I felt like I was there with you and Colby. I am not stretching at all when I say that I really believe that 99% of the posts on this thread are genuine, from the heart, reactions to one of God's greatest...even if from a distance. A Gay, Jewish man than exhibited more TRUE Christianity than the vast majority of my fellow "Christians". Go fucking figure. This cat was that powerful and the forum was powerful to him...so be it. I am inspired to participate more and offer more advice and assistance by the outpouring on this thread. I think to myself, how did I let this town turn me so cynical? Well no more. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for joining me. It means more than you know and I feel ItJeff with us right this moment. C U in a few hours.

Maxpraxis
Username: Maxpraxis

Post Number: 670
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omg, i am only now hearing of this. i haven't been on the forum in well over a year, maybe close to two. something the past few days has been telling me to check out detroityes again, besides working with gannon this past week (thanks again buddy.)
i have the honor of knowing jeff personally and on the forum for quite a few years now. i wouldn't say we were great friends, but the random times i would run into him, he was one of the few people i've ever meet that was truly unpretentious, kind and so easy and engaging to talk to... the type of friend you could see whenever and not miss a beat.
the old timers here may remember my love to photoshop him, as well as others here, i haven't gone through this whole post but i see that some of these images are posted in this tribute. a favorite that comes to mind was when i stuck his baby face on the body of baby new year, probably 2 or 3 years back. if it's not here, i'll dig it up... he thought that was hilarious. he is truly a role model and great example of a TRUE detroiter. i am humbled by the example he has left us.
MaxPraxis

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R.I.P. to the only forummer to make me laugh out loud. Repeatedly. God Bless.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 760
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hugs from the racks, wherever you are, brilliant friend.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only read about this horrible news today. I had the distinct pleasure and honor of meeting Jeff at an FSC recently. Way back when I was a newbie here, I posted an opinion detrimental to Detroit that represented much suburbia. Jeff came back at me a little hard. I replied that I was, in fact, a major Detroit supporter and I was only relating a commonly held view from the suburbs. I told Jeff and the forum that, maybe, someday, I could see myself make the move to the City. Jeff replied that he would like to be one of the first to buy me a beer if I ever moved to the D.

Thankfully, I had the opportunity to meet Jeff shortly after I moved downtown in November. He gladly and proudly bought me that beer welcoming me to Detroit. In many ways, Jeff and his informative and often hilarious posts convinced me moving to Detroit was the right thing to do. He was a phenomenal ambassador for this city.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read the news today as well. I only met him once, at LJ's, and I'll never forget his great, one-of-a-kind personality, from that occasion and from all his brilliant posts. Though I feel like I knew him well, I wish I could have gotten to know him better.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw this too. So sad! My heart goes out to Jeff's family. It's great testament to It'sJeff to see the outpouring of affection. My interactions with him were limited, but his genuineness and kindness were evident. His sense of humor was wonderful and something we should all try to remember, and do our best to emulate.

He was damned funny till the end, even when it was about the end...

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/92918.html?1170686681

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 761
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ItsJeff and me

Good Times with Jeff

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3689
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a very nice audio tribute to ItsJeff now on MichiganNow.org by Chris McCarus. [I put this on the thread about the Freep tribute, but then realized it should go here too as this thread will end up in the HOF.]

http://michigannow.org/listen. php?storyID=89

Themapman
Username: Themapman

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard of this, and even though I rarely post here anymore (grad school just takes up too much time) I was very sad to hear the news. Anytime you lose a friend, even someone who you've never met in person, it stings. My condolences to everyone here who knew him, and let's hope Detroit can continue to more forward as he would have loved.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My belated condolences. (Midterms are this week.)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on my way back from Jackson, Mississippi when I found out. RIP ItsJeff. Only one to make me really laugh on the forum. You will be missed.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 954
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got home, left the lap top at home for once.

I would read his post because they were not on the auto filter in my head. I would chuckle so loud my house would shake...really!

He kept me coming back to DetroitYES.........hey some of you guys and gals are OK too.

Life is precious enjoy it, I really think Jeff did.

Kazooexplorer
Username: Kazooexplorer

Post Number: 975
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My going away party was the last one Jeff threw and at the end as I was leaving he gave me an enormous hug and told me how much he would miss me. It looks like it's the other way around now. . . I already miss you terribly, Jeff.

Posting from and sadder than hell in Brooklyn.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kazoo

I hear ya, man. I am finding my thoughts drifting about him all the time, but I am thankful that I was able to know him on a personal level. My life is better for it. Don't forget to shoot me an e-mail here

D-Day

(Message edited by D-Day on February 24, 2007)

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 682
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kazoo - say it ain't so, did we lose another one? I won't be giving you a ride from the CM bus station anymore? :-(

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just looked at the DetroitYes eNews that Lowell sent and saw the news. ItsJeff was a friend, even though I only met him a few times. I met him at an FSC meeting at the Well a few years ago when I was in town. He asked me to go to lunch with him the next day, and I met him near his office. He would not allow me to pay for anything. My impression of him at that point was "Wow! This guy doesn't even know me and he bought me lunch." Every time I would see him at the bar, he would come over and make sure that I knew everyone and make me feel welcome. What a great person. I will miss seeing him on my visits to Detroit. So sorry I could not come for the memorial.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP itsjeff.

:-(

You're photoshops will be missed.

http://hardline.wordpress.com/ 2007/02/25/rest-in-peace-my-fr iend/

I'll never say a cross word in here again, to anyone... ever again... life's too short man.

-Me

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone needs to take over the Manrooter ID so that legend can continue on the forum. I am willing to do it, but Lowell will have to approve.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

death and taxes :-(

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly don't know what to say other than my heart goes out to Jeff's family. I, as many of you, never met Jeff in person however I did feel a connection. He was such a positive person for Detroit and would do anything for the city. I have been a long time reader, and an occasional poster. He welcomed me at my first post as a friend. We obviously didn't agree on all topics. Never was a personal attack on either party but unfortunately the last topic we were discussing we were in a huge disagreement. I wish that we had ended on a positive note. I personally will miss Jeff for his humor, his kindness, and also his strong feelings on numerous topics around the city. Take care Jeff . . .

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: