Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Detroit's Lost Mansions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3943
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have had dozens of threads about Detroit’s largest homes and various residential works. We’ve never really compiled a list of the greatest estates in the Detroit area that have been lost. I know we will get some insight from the usual aficionados on here. Here it goes:

-Henry Joy Estate (Fair Acres) designed by Albert Kahn

-Alvin Macauley estate (735 Lakeshore) designed by Albert Kahn

-Roy Chapin/Henry Ford II estate (447 Lakeshore) by John Russell Pope

-Horace Dodge estate (Rose Terrace I) by Albert Kahn

-Anna Dodge estate (Rose Terrace II) by Horace Trumbauer

-John Dodge estate (Harbor Hill) by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, with Bloodgood Tuttle

-Charles M. Swift/H. Dodge Jr. (Gray House)

-Joseph H. Berry House designed by Mason and Rice

-David C. Whitney estate designed by Walter McFarlane

-Walter B. and Josephine Ford estate (Provencal) Robert O. Derrick

-John S. Newberry estate (1911 Lakeshore) by: Albert Khan

-Truman Newberry estate (1910) Lakeshore by Trowbridge & Ackerman

-Dexter M. Ferry

Henry Stephens

-Elmer Speck by Albert H. Spahr

-Emery Ford Estate by Albert H. Spahr

-Joseph B. Schlotman

-Harry N. Torrey

-Wesson Seyburn

-Albert Stephens/Edsel Ford (Indian Village)

-Elizabeth Buhl (Indian Village)
-Gar Wood Estate (Grayhaven)

-Charles Fisher (Grayhaven) by: George Mason

-R.A. Alger (Jefferson Avenue)

James E. Scripps

-George Gough Booth

-C.L Stephens (1123 Woodward)

-Henry Russell (917 Jefferson)

Franklin H. Walker (850 Jefferson)

-William Fisher (1791 Wellesley/Palmer Woods)

-William Koerber (Grayhaven)

-Charles Sorenson (Rouge Park) Leonard Willeke

-Charles Helin (Windmill Pointe)

-Willis Buhl (Grosse Pointe)

-Lodge Mansion (GP)

Note: I need to get info on several Ferry Street estates especially the one on the corner of Ferry and Woodward that was torn down.

Note: There were a number of homes along the river near the Edsel Ford estate that are now long gone as well. There was a beautiful Tudor on the corner of maybe Burns and Jefferson (???) that was torn down, but served as a radio station in the 30’s.It was on Jefferson and one of the IV streets.

Note: Woodward Avenue also has at least 8 other grand estates that no longer stand.

Note: BE had to have had several grand homes taken down to make way for the Lodge.

We have a few more to add…..

Patrick

Post Number: 3944
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Standish Backus house still standing? It was designed by Ralph Adams Cram.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any information for you, but this seems like a great topic. I was shocked by the size of that list. A lot has been lost the the wrecking ball.

Patrick

Post Number: 3945
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you make a list of the top 50 greatest homes in Detroit's history, maybe 10 remain.

Patrick

Post Number: 3946
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am especially interested in finding more information about that strip of land adjacent to the Lawrence Fisher estate. It is tree lined and wooded now with Larry P’s docks still intact. The Fisher family bought up that whole strip and built several grand homes on it. There was a thread about a year ago about how developers wanted to by that land and redevelop it. It looks as if it was never built on but we had some vintage aerial pics and sure enough, there were a number of estates on it.

Patrick

Post Number: 3947
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the second paragraph down a Booth heir discusses the Trumbull Avenue estate. The whole article is well worth the read.

http://www.aaa.si.edu/collecti ons/oralhistories/transcripts/ booth77.htm

Patrick

Post Number: 3948
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Fisher's Grayhaven manse

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=128&categ ory=locations

Patrick

Post Number: 3949
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/19632.html?10759339 23

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6045
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, you've got to stop this - you know my achilles heel is that Wm Fisher home and that loss represents all that is sad/bad/mad about Detroit in a nutshell. So this is my first and last post on this thread, and I'm not going to read another word of it, even if I see it going on and on. Next time I'm in Detroit I'm headed to the library and will pull the microfilm stories on that house from the '70's, along with the real estate ads when it was for sale. On second thought, maybe not, why go looking for high blood pressure.

Good night. Stop.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 754
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Fisher's former Detroit residence at 670 W. Boston Blvd, a beautiful 25,000 sq ft Tudor mansion (still standing). Its features include an Italian marble ballroom and billiards room in the basement, a solarium completely done in Pewabic tile, an elevator, as well as a huge organ that could easily rock any sizeable church.

I had the privilege of hanging out here throughout my high school & college years, as well as living in this home for 8 months during 1991-92 (no, I'm not from 'money'). At the time, it was owned by Melvyn Kates, the father of one of my good friends from UDJHS,

I remember there being a rather extensive thread about this mansion a few years ago, but I couldn't locate it with the DetYes forum search engine. Off the grid already?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess some pretty nice homes had to have been lost when the Lodge cut through Boston Edison, were there not?

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Charles Fischer mansion is for sale. Here is the write up on it.

CHARLES FISHER MANSION RICH IN HISTORY AND MUSEUM LIKE QUALITY. HND CRVD MOLDINGS & HND PNTD CEILINGS WILL LEAVE YOU IN AWE. PEWABIC TILE THAT IS HARD TO RIVAL. THIS HOME BOASTS DETAILS THAT ARE RARE TO FIND. NEW FURNACE AND HOT WATER HEATER GIVE THIS UNMATCHABLE MANSION A PRACTICAL ADVANTAGE. HISTORIC BOSTON EDISON DIS. PRE-APP BUYERS ONLY.SOLD AS-IS.$1,200,000
11 Bed, 7.5 Bath
13,900 Sq. Ft.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Standish Backus mansion was razed in the l960s. The Sidney Trowbridge Miller house in Grosse Pointe is due to be torn down by its present owner, Elena Ford, granddaughter of Henry II.
The J. Wendell Anderson Grosse Pointe estate, Deeplands, was also destroyed.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 910
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lost my Detroit mansion, I think I left it on the Joy Rd bus. I keep calling DDOT, but no one has turned it in yet. I think I'm screwed.

Swiburn

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" The Buildings of Detroit" by the late W. Hawkins Ferry is the main source book for mansions and other edifices in the Detroit area. A book about Albert Kahn also features some of the blueprints of these destroyed mansions.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before they remodeled, the GP office of AAA on Mack had a number of old enlarged photographs of many of the GP Mansions that used to grace Lakeshore Road. They were framed and hung on the wall in front of the trip-tik/map counter.
Since remodeling their offices, I don't see them anymore and I do not know if they are in storage, hanging elsewhere or just what.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash,
Is that building still occupied or is it abandoned?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As to the loss of houses when the Lodge Freeway cut through Boston/Edison: here's my opinion.

The grand, really grand, houses in the neighborhood are on East Boston and Arden Park, and on West Boston Blvd. between Woodward and Hamilton. Houses built west of Hamilton, while grand by most standards, don't come up to the same level at all.

Since the Lodge comes through Chicago and Boston a block west of Hamilton, the houses that would have been lost would not have been anywhere close to the neighborhood's finest.

Please note: the above is my opinion. I can't provide evidence.

Patrick

Post Number: 3950
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash I remember your stories...such a cool story. I guess he built another one along Grayhaven as well.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where the UAW HQ is on Jefferson there used to be a mansion that was owned by one of the auto baron families, Ford or Dodge I believe. I've seen the photo in an old UAW brochure.

Patrick

Post Number: 3951
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, the Edsel Ford estate. The fence still stands as well as the boat house.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me more about Edsel's Estate on Solidarity House's property. I was not aware he had a house before Gaukler Pointe.

Did he build it? When was it torn down? Anyone else ever live there?

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 755
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Artistic for posting the sales listing for 670 W. Boston Blvd. It's sad to see that it's going for just $1.2 million It's worth waaaay more than that. Gotta wonder what the value would be if it were in Oakland County. I was surprised to see the square footage listed at 'only' 13,900. Mel Kates always said it was about 25,000 sq ft. Perhaps they didn't count the basement, which is quite a labyrinth. I also remember there being 14 toilets (maybe 7 full bathrooms). Not that they were all used. During the time I spent there, the family only really used the 1st & 2nd floors, and maybe 1/3 of the basement. The rest of it was closed-off, and un-heated during the winter months. Even so, the annual heating bill for that place was over $11,000!

Jdkeepsmiling:
"Is that building still occupied or is it abandoned?"
I don't know if anyone is currently living there, but I'd be shocked if it were classified as 'abandoned'.

Patrick:
"Crash I remember your stories...such a cool story. I guess he built another one along Grayhaven as well."
Every once in a while when I'm back in the D I take a drive past there. I'd love to see the inside again, if anyone is offering tours. I always get a little choked-up with nostalgia whenever I see that place.
I never knew about the Grayhaven mansion either! I'll have to check that one out sometime.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a Crysler mansion on Jefferson that was razed also? and what about some of the other auto barrons? Nash (AMC) and Buick, did they also have mansions in the D? I know Buick moved to Flint early on and I suspect any mansion he built was probably built there. One of my favorite past times was going mansion hopping when I lived there. There are some huge mansions here in Nashville, but I've seen nothing that would compare with the likes of the Edsel Ford estate or Meadowbrook hall. Now THATS an estate! I sure would loved to have seen the Dodge mansion, but I didnt start "mansion hopping" there till it was already gone. Of course any pictures of these lost treasures would be greatly appreciated! Great thread!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 959
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter P. Chrysler did not have a mansion in Detroit, he was a New York resident for much of the period that he ran the Chrysler corp. (after the 1924 stock transfer that changed the Maxwell-Chalmers organization into the chrysler corporation) He had a suite at the Tuller hotel that he lived in during long stays in Detroit.
All of the big names are well represented in Patrick's inital post.

Neilr

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rose Terrace, Anna Thompson Dodge's house on Lakeshore, was the last major American palace designed by Horace Trumbauer. It is well documented with text, pictures, and floor plans in American Splendor, The Residential Architecture of Horace Trumbauer by Michael Kathrens, Acanthus Press, 2002.

The contents of Rose Terrace's music room are on display at the DIA.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pacman. I learned something new. Any info on Nash, Buick, Packard, Studebaker? I always joke that I'm really a Ford or Vanderbilt but cant figure out how to prove it! LOL

Patrick

Post Number: 3952
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter P. had a beautiful Long Island estate. it is still intact but now some sort of school.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be large homes all along Jefferson near downtown. The McGregor Mansion carriage house is still extant. It was one of the first restorations (in Rivertown) by Schervish/Vogel/Merz architectural group back in the late 70's/early 80's, and was their offices for a long time.

Patrick

Post Number: 3953
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some cool info to share from an heir of one of the estate owners in Grayhaven. Will post when I can...

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some photo postcards of the Chrysler mansion in St Clair Shores. Does anybody know anything about that?

Patrick

Post Number: 3956
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been in contact with an heir to one of the wealthy industrialists from Grayhaven.

This is what I found out:

There were three main streets in the Grayhaven area. Starboard, which was later named Lenox. Then you had Keelson, which remains today running through the middle of the island. Then you had Port Street, which ran parallel to Lenox.

From what I understand, Henry Ford had purchased swampland on the east side and planned on building another massive complex. Many think he did this just to piss off the Grosse Pointe people he hated so much. People bitched like crazy and the depression didn’t help either. Ford had the canals dredged for his new complex but it never came about. I guess there was a planned railway that came from the Hudson and Chrysler plants linking up with this complex.

Anyone have any info on this plant that was never built?? No private developer would have had the funds to dredge those canals in the early 20’s. It had to have been Ford.

Edward Gray was some sort of big shot at Ford Motor Company and somehow bought the land from Henry and developed it. I guess Gray, along with the help of his daughter, plotted out what was one of the most exclusive residential developments in the country at that time.

Somehow the Fishers got involved and bought that whole strip of land along Starboard (Lenox). It is wooded today, but I guess there were a number of gigantic estates built there at one time. Lawrence, Everell, and William Fisher all built estates there. It is a wooded lot now…I am unable to get those vintage aerial pics to open. If anyone gets them, please put them up.

Gar Wood had a mansion at the end of Keelson which had all the amenities including a bowling alley and an indoor garage for his boat. Across from Wood on Port was the Koerber estate, which was a massive 7 bedroom Tudor with a 40 foot boat well. It was later condemned by the City of Detroit "Right of Eminent Domain' to build a city marina. The marina is now is closed….a derelict.

Karl

Post Number: 6101
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I promised I wouldn't read this thread. I don't even want to know what happened to these mansions....how could they be built, gigantic, and all gone now??

Only in Detroit.....

(gnashing teeth)

Patrick

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did you happen to visit the W. Fisher estate back then? I thought the church owned it after his death but couldnt afford to keep it up.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"EDWARD GRAY is well known as an expert mechanical engineer and also as the owner of Grayhaven-the Utopia of Detroit yachtsmen. He was born in Peotone, Illinois, April 14, 1872, of the marriage of David and Rebecca (Karney) Gray, and has one sister, Mabel. After completing his public school course he devoted his energies to learning the trade of a machinist, serving an apprenticeship in the Mandt Wagon Works at Stoughton, Wisconsin, and he also worked in the engine room of their plant, becoming greatly interested in their construction and operation. Going to Bradford, Pennsylvania, he there entered business circles in 1895 as a member of the Gray-Blaisdell Company, engaged in the manufacture of gas engines and gas compressors. For six years he maintained his interest in that company, building up a large business and also establishing his position as one of the leading mechanical engineers of the country.

After severing his connection with that firm he organized the Riverside Engine Company for the manufacture of large power engines and sold to the Ford Motor Company the first three large engines installed in their Highland Park plant. In 1909 Mr. Gray became chief engineer for the Ford Company and had charge of installing all of the machinery in their new plant and also of the work of erecting the shops in conjunction therewith, remaining with the corporation until 1914, when he resigned in order that he might enter business circles independently.

For many years yachting has been a favorite pastime with Detroit's citizens, owing to the city's unrivalled situation upon one of the most beautiful rivers in this country, and in order to offer better facilities for the enjoyment of this sport he conceived the plan of establishing a colony for yacht owners. With this end in view he purchased from Daniel J. Campau sixty acres of swamp land lying along the river front and this he proceeded to fill in; securing the necessary earth from excavations on buildings in the down-town section, loading the soil on scows stationed at the foot of Orleans street and then conveying it to its destination. After filling in the land he dredged a channel, forming a rectangular waterway through his property of sufficient depth to permit the navigation of large vessels and also providing a continual supply of fresh water. A number of homes have already been erected upon the property by yacht owners of Detroit, with whom it is rapidly gaining favor, and it bids fair to become a modern Venice.

Mr. Gray has a daughter, Mildred, whose birth occurred in 1901. He resides on his yacht, the Mildred G. III, which'is one of the finest of the many beautiful vessels to be seen on the sapphire blue waters of the Detroit river. He is identified with the Detroit Engineering Society and he is also, a popular member of the Detroit Athletic, Detroit Automobile and Detroit Yacht Clubs. His business career has been marked by continuous progress, owing to his superior professional attainments and his tireless energy, which never stops short of the attainment of its purpose. His initiative spirit has led him into a new and untried field, in which his intelligently directed efforts are resulting in success, and he is a man whom to know is to esteem and admire."

Clarence Burton, "The City of Detroit"

Patrick

Post Number: 3960
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting. I have read that Larry P. let Anna Dodge keep her boat docked in the canal. I can;t prove this sine the Delphine was a very large steamer,

Karl

Post Number: 6111
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, the church never owned the Wm Fisher mansion - you're thinking of "The Bishop's House" or mansion that was recently open on tour. That was built for the Bishop by the Fisher bros and given to the Archdiocese of Detroit.

I'm hoping someone can post the "lineage" of ownership of the Wm Fisher home. I toured it when it was open for a Christmas tour in approx 1975. It had recently been sold (as I recall to a Grosse Pointe florist, according to the Freep) for approx $55,000. He offered it as one of approx 5 homes to be held open, presumably for some sort of fundraiser.

Patrick

Post Number: 3964
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.signaturemag.com/gp /content/index.php?option=com_ content&task=view&id=41&Itemid =26

This is the best article on the subject so far. I just happened to find it today when putzing through Google. I was under the impression that the lodge home was an older Queen Anne of sorts.

Patrick

Post Number: 3965
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.signaturemag.com/gp /content/index.php?option=com_ content&task=view&id=12&Itemid =27

Karl

Post Number: 6143
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent articles, Patrick.

Patrick

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More info on the way via the Burton and some microforms lol. I got some sweet articles about the Prentis house as well as several on the gar Wood mansion.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been a couple of mentions of a Chrysler mansion in Grosse Pointe or St. Clair Shores. I've checked some books and websites, but have yet to come across any concrete information on such a place.

Harsensis: Could you scan and post the postcards you mentioned?

Patrick

Post Number: 3969
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Walter P. visited Detroit a lot. Alfred Sloan came to Detroit from NYC every other week for decades. He actually had an apartment built on the 14th floor of the GM building.

http://www.usmma.edu/life/serv ices/default.htm
Walter P's former estate.

Swiburn

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr: Yes, absolutely the best houses in the Boston Edison neighborhood are right near Woodward-they are the oldest houses, also. The further away from Woodward you get, the newer and smaller are the houses.

Swiburn

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G.P.mansion information: Hugo Scherer house, Lake Shore Rd and Moran-razed l984

Lakewood Court-John M. Dwyer-- house moved to Lakeland Rd

Ridgemont- David Whitney--Lake Shore Rd nr Winthrop Place-razed l956

Fair Acres-Henry B. Joy House-near Kerby Rd- razed l959

Deeplands-Henry D. Sheldon-razed and replaced by 80 houses

Stonehurst-Joseph B. Schlotman-razed l970

Emory Ford house-nr. Woodland Shores Rd-razed l950s

Clairview-Dr. Harry Torrey- burned l959-razed l960

Exmotowner

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a picture of the Crysler mansion on Long Island. It was one he bought. It was not built for him but is AWSOME nontheless. Link below. Sorry, you'll have to copy and past it. I dont know how to make it a hyperlink.

http://www.ligoldcoast.com/lip rivate.html

Patrick

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an article from the 70’s about the destruction of the Schlotman estate (Stonehurst). It was a 40-room mansion. Mrs. Schlotman was a granddaughter of John B. Ford, founder of BASF. The house was built between 1914 and 1917. This house was designed by Pittsburgh-based architect Albert H. Spahr. It had to have been well over 30,000 square feet.

Patrick

Post Number: 3985
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the Willeke-designed Oscar Webber mansion is up for sale for 2.5 mil. I bet someone is looking to tear it down and build greaseball condos.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ask again... "Tell me more about Edsel's Estate on Solidarity House's property. I was not aware he had a house before Gaukler Pointe.

Did he build it? When was it torn down? Anyone else ever live there?

I was not aware of his home prier to G.P. Shores. Please fill me in.

Patrick

Post Number: 3986
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edsel and Eleanor Ford were married in 1916 at the Hudson mansion on E. Boston Boulevard. They moved into their “honeymoon” home in Indian Village. Needing more space for their growing family, Edsel purchased the Albert Stephens home in 1919.

This was where the UAW stands today. I am not sure who originally designed the home but it was not that old when Ford purchased it. He hired Willeke to make some changes to the interior as well as the entryway. He had new pieces hand carved as well as took previous pieces from the Indian Village house and reinstalled them.

Jens Jensen was hired to do the landscaping work for the 2 acres compound. In 1920 the property was valued at 1.5 mil. In 1922 Edsel hired Willeke yet gain to build a $40,000 boathouse, which remains today.

Edsel got irritated that the high-rise Alden Park complex was being built and longed for privacy. That is why he sold it off. I have no idea what happened after that. I am not sure when it was torn down either. The original gates and fencing still stand in front of the UAW.

Edsel Ford mansion

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some images of the T-Plex (Piquette Avenue Henry Ford Heritage Association) Model T Club outing August 13, 2005 from the Ford Piquette Avenue plant to the Edsel & Eleanor Ford home at 2171 Iroquois Avenue in Indian Village. The enent was held again in 2006. Club members carvanned from the Ford Motor Company Piquette Avenue plant to the first Ford plant on Mack Avenue site before continuing to Indian Village for a Bar-B-Q and a good time.

Bob Cosgrove

T-Plex T Club at Ford Piquette Avenue plant 8-13-05

T-Plex T Club in fron of the Edsel & Elenaor Ford home 2171 Iroquois Ave

T-Plex T Club lined up in front of 2171 Iroquois Indian Village

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4720
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Patrick,
I've been curious about that house for years, but never took the time to do the research for the pic other than a few casual searches on the internet.

About 10 years ago, one of the volunteer ushers at the Opera House I worked with told me his father worked on the demolition of the house.

He removed the wood paneling from the library and installed it in his own home prior to just going to the landfill.

A old-time West Villager related some stories to me about Edsel's legendary looong lunches at the Indian Village Club across the street. (The site of the Nile formerly Joey's on Jefferson) which I found quite humorous.

Patrick

Post Number: 3988
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe I guess Henry had spies looking after Edsel when he went to GP cocktail parties. I don't know if this is true but Henry is said to have hated Indian Village and hated GP even more. I guess HF really was a west-sider at heart!

Jams

Post Number: 4722
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes they are very much true. Henry hated the trappings of society that many of the other early Auto pioneers and their families affected after their success.

I don't think he ever entered the Russell House or the Hotel Ponchatrain which succeeded it on the site of First National Building where many of the early Auto magnates spent their "hours of recreation", prior to Joy pushing for DAC to be built, since he had such an abhorrence of alcohol.

Much of what I have read about Edsel and Eleanor's choice to live on the Eastside stemmed from removing themselves from being under Henry's thumb, as well as being part of the "New Elite Society" the newly made millionaires crafted for themselves.

Patrick

Post Number: 3991
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people dont realize that Gp was a new money haven to many. Sure, the older money had their clubs but the majority of fancy estates were built by the new money. Look at how the Dodge Brothers were treated...maybe it was earned because they were notorious drunks.

Patrick

Post Number: 3999
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, what other stories you got? Do share!

Jams

Post Number: 4728
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While many of the stories are public knowledge, I'd prefer to share them as the early Auto pioneers shared their knowledge of their craft, over a drink or two at a quiet bar.

There are several on this forum I've personally shared exchanging the old histories and gossip with who are far more knowledgable than I, as well as others, I have not yet had the pleasure to share in those discussions. Maybe an FSC dedicated to early Auto history and gossip about the pioneers and their families?

One thing that strikes me in this uncertain time of the auto industry, is probably not one of those that gave their name to the auto companies would be able to get a job today with the companies that bear their names with their educational and work experiences.

Patrick

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should have a special Auto-related FSC gathering lol.

Patrick

Post Number: 4022
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stephens /E. Ford mansion was built in or around 1913. It was designed by George Mason. From what I hear the UAW got bit in the ass with extra fees because the demolition was a bigger job than expected. The house apparently had a metal frame with concrete floors. It was built like a true palace.

Patrick

Post Number: 4023
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the L. Fisher estate on Grayhaven. The extended Fisher lot adjacent to the mansion was owned by the Fisher family. It was wooded and vacant for some time, but all the trees have been taken down within the last few weeks. There are actually bulldozers at the site right now and it is all fenced in.

I call bullshit on some bits of info I have heard…I was told by several credible sources that there were or are plans to take down the former Lawrence Fisher mansion on Grayhaven. I don’t really believe it, but these were some credible sources.

Any info on this?

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will work on getting some of the Chrysler St Clair Shores postcards scanned. Right now I'm dealing with a crashed hard drive so that is slowing me from being on the boards.

Also Mrs. Schlotman from Stonehurst from what I gathered wanted nobody else to live in her house, so she was the one who wanted it torn down after her death. The funny thing is, is that she still lives there. The house is gone, but she still roams the property. My wifes dad lived in the Taco Bell house and that house was haunted. I wonder if the ghost in the new house that was built on half of the old Taco Bell lot. I have seen the ghost many times and it was the real deal!

Kathleen

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: Have you ever taken a tour of the Fisher Mansion? I've gone through it a couple of times, the last time last August. I can't imagine that the current owners, the Bhaktivedanta Cultural Center (http://www.detroitiskconlive.c om/aboutus.html), would want to desecrate the sacred place that it has become for them. Take a tour and ask them!!

Kathleen

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsenis: Sorry to hear about the hard drive disaster!! Will look forward to those Chrysler St. Clair Shores postcards scans whenever you get around to them.

In the meantime, I want to know more about the Taco Bell House. What and where is that?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsenis: Hope your computer is back up and running!!

Whenever you get a chance to answer the above question and post the postcards...

Patrick

Post Number: 4083
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Dream comes along soon and gives this thread a well needed boost lol.

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lodge Fwy - cut Boston-Edison in half - when it was constructed, 40 - 50 homes were torn down. Yes, it is true - many of the largest homes in Boston-Edison are from Woodward to Hamilton. However, don't let this prevent you from looking at the homes west of Hamilton - to Linwood. There are huge homes - some well-maintained, others in need of rehab. They are magnificent and of better workmanship and quality than you will find in any newer construction. There are over 900 homes in B-E --- yes, it's the largest Historic District in Michigan - In fact, I think it may be the largest historic district in the US (but I could be wrong).

Anyway, you all need to attend the Annual Boston-Edison Holiday Homes Tour that is usually held the third Sunday of December -- when 5 homeowners open their homes for the public to view. This is the only major fundraiser held by the Historic Boston-Edison Association. It is well worth attending. It will give you the opportunity to view some of the most beautiful homes in Michigan. (Later in the year, you can call the Boston-Edison hotline to hear more about the 2007 Tour and how to get tickets. 313-883-4360.)

Neilr

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite features of the Boston-Edison tour is that you are welcomed into each home by the owners who share their home-owning experiences with you.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grosse Pointe Historical Society has launched an online exhibit called "Puttin' on the Glitz" that "...looks into the fabulous mansions and lifestyles of auto industry barons who transformed the Pointes from a sleepy summer cottage and farm community before the turn of the last century into the center for Michigan's elite." Includes family history and photos of the mansions, including interiors! Check it out: http://www.gphistorical.org/au tobarons/index.htm

A recent Detroit News writeup Web site offers look at lifestyles of rich: Photos show 1900s parties and mansions:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070209/M ETRO01/702090383/1006

Exmotowner

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kathleen, Thanks for sharing that site! How Awsome! I never got to see either of the Dodge homes on the lake. By the time I started driving and getting around and caring about stuff like this they were tearing them down. I've looked for pictures of Rose terrace but never seen them before. It just breaks my heart that stuff like that was torn down. Yea I realize all the costs and stuff, but man! That would never happen in Eruope. While looking at the pictures I couldnt help but think, how does one justify all that wealth? I know they came by it rightfully, but DAMN IT SHARE SOME! LOL (Had to make a funny before I got tore up for sure) Its sad to think that nobody will ever get to see those homes again. I had asked I think about there being homes from Packer and Nash, and I see that the Packer guy was actually named Joy and his house is listed. That site is great. I haven't been able to read it all yet though. Thanks again for sharing that site!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome, Exmotowner. I've got to find some time to dig through all the Glitz pages myself!

While these guys who made so much money from the automobile industry, did indeed spend a big chunk of change on their homes, many of them did in fact share their wealth. For example, Henry B. Joy, the Packard guy, donated money to both Wayne State University and University of Michigan as well as one of the hospitals in the Detroit Medical Center; all three have dormitories named for his wife Helen Newberry Joy. I know of many other auto execs who were philanthropists and have left their legacy all around the metro area.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome, Exmotowner. I've got to find some time to dig through all the Glitz pages myself!

While these guys who made so much money from the automobile industry, did indeed spend a big chunk of change on their homes, many of them did in fact share their wealth. For example, Henry B. Joy, the Packard guy, donated money to both Wayne State University and University of Michigan as well as one of the hospitals in the Detroit Medical Center; all three have dormitories named for his wife Helen Newberry Joy. I know of many other auto execs who were philanthropists and have left their legacy all around the metro area.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were at least three large homes (mansions) in Detroit belonging to Packard Motor Car company principals. Henry B. Joy was the son of James F. Joy, who made his fortune with the Michigan Central railroad and the Chicago,Burilington and Quincy railroad. He shared the fascination with the automobile that other young wealthy men of his day had--only the wealthy could afford cars then. Joy bought a car from the Packard brothers from Warren, Ohio the birthplace of the company. Joy liked the car so much he became the leader of a group of investors that bought controlling interest in the automobile business of the Packard electric company (now part of GM/Delphi) and moved it from Warren to Detroit, constructing a new plant on the outskirts of town at East Grand Boulevard and Concorde. Joy remained a Detroit resident (well, really GP), and as Kathleen points out, a noted philanthropist.
Alvan Macauley became the president of Packard in 1916 after six years with the company. He ruled the company from 1916 until 1938 and remained chairman of the board of the company until 1948. He was the president of the Automobile Manufacturers Association from 1928 until 1945. Macauley was the very personification of Packard, a gentleman's gentleman. His home in Grosse Pointe was designed by Albert Kahn in the Cotswold style. It was torn down in the 1970's. Russell Alger was a prominent investor in Packard, his home is now the Grosse Pointe war memorial. The Packard brothers never really resided in Detroit.

(Message edited by 56packman on March 08, 2007)

(Message edited by 56packman on March 09, 2007)

Bunkster
Username: Bunkster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was young I had friends whose grandparents lived across the canal from the Gar Wood Estate. We used to swim across the canal and go inside the abandoned mansion. By the time we had gotten there the place was pretty run down. A lot of graffiti. Scared the you know what out of me but we always went back for more.

In a twist of fate I eventually worked for the Wood family years later. Good people who still love Detroit.

The family friends last name was Koerber and allegedly the G-Pa used to run liquor across the river. They used to show me a bricked off wall that they said was a hidden dock.

I often wonder what happened to the place?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis: I'm still interested, so if you are able to scan and post your postcards of the Chrysler St. Clair Shores house, it would be much appreciated.

Patrick

Post Number: 4226
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, did you see the Standish Backus packet I sent ya? It was pretty cool eh? sad that it was torn down...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 980
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Charlie Nash lived in Flint for a while:

http://www.michmarkers.com/Pag es/L1397.htm

Cambrian

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter Flander's the F in EMF Studebaker, had a grand estate in Orchard Lake. Today it's a Nursing Home, and the owner's preserved much of the original structure.

http://www.bortz.org/modules.p hp?op=modload&name=PagEd&file= index&topic_id=1&page_id=10

Kathleen

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: Well, I briefly perused what you sent me when it arrived, but haven't had a chance to sit down and really read it thoroughly. Thanks very much!

Cambrian: Nash's house is in the old Carriagetown part of downtown Flint, and has been restored by recent owners. None of the houses in this district, a very historic one, is a mansion. Those are elsewhere in the area.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick: I pulled out the article on the Standish Backus over the weekend. What a house!!! Reminds me of Meadowbrook Hall in many respects. It is truly a shame that it was torn down...and only 33 years after it was built!!! I'm still trying to determine its exact location on Lakeshore Drive. If the numbering system hasn't changed, it was near Stratton, a few blocks west of Vernier. I've been in touch with the GPHS for some additional info.

Also read through the Marcus Burrowes booklet. I would like to start driving around and documenting his work. Probably will start with the Indian Village houses while I'm doing the Home and Garden tour in June.

Thanks again!!

Swiburn

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Truman Newberry estate in Grosse Pointe Farms was torn down after only 36 years. It was regarded as one of the 12 best country houses in America.
Taxes and the servant "problem." None of these places lasted much longer than 40 years, I'd say.

Patrick

Post Number: 4245
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to start a Charles Platt thread soon...

Cambrian

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 30s were the end of the Guilded age with Roosevelt's new deal. The rich (or anyone else) back then didn't pay any income taxes right?

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 589
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gilded Age (guilded age would be closer to the Renaissance) is generally considered to have ended before the 16th Amendment allowed for an income tax in 1913.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: