Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Balduck Park Hill « Previous Next »
Archive through February 01, 2007Bulletmagnet65 02-01-07  9:00 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg---I am very impressed!! The only trouble is that I was referring to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island rather than the Grand Rapids Grand!! Sorry about that.
The Grand on Mackinac had far less rooms than its counterpart in GR, but at least I get the idea.
I had another engineering question about the building of the Mackinac Bridge, but I think I have exhausted your patience for one day.
I remember my days up at Ann Arbor when many of my engineering -major fraternity brothers would leave for their three hour labs with their slide rules attached to their belts. Now they walk around with cell phones and blackberrys.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Bulletmagnet,

Two great first posts. Keep up the good work.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock,

I wan't sure which Grand Hotel you were referring to, that is why I listed my assumptions.

Today the Mackinac Grand Hotel has 385 rooms, therefore the revised weight total would be 671,055 lbs., which is still a lot for a building constructed out of wood.

As for taking into account the buoyant force mentioned by Dominic_kingfish, it does not factor into the load that is transmitted to the building structure. Think about it this way, the total load transferred to the floor of a bathroom does not change when a person steps into - or out of - a bathtub partially filled with water. The buoyant force only works against the mass of the person once they are immersed and it does not get transferred to the bathtub or floor.

When it comes to structural mechanics problem solving on things like bridges, any problem that does not assume that the beams or cables are inextensible (non-stretchable) is way out of my league.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikeg. We still stay in touch with the owner of the Grand, and I will provide him with your information. All those rooms now have a private bath, but during my days up there, the front ( more expensive) rooms actually SHARED the bathroom with the guest next door. When you wanted to use the facilities, you would just lock the door on the other guest's side of the bathroom.
Forget to lock the door, you acted at your own peril. When ever I get around to writing my book(The tile will be "Front"), on my summers at the Grand, stories of guests caught in somewhat compromising positions either in those cast iron tubs or sitting on the commode will get a separate chapter.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had baseball and football practice there all the time in the '70s and '80s. Seems I was always at Balduck. And practicing sports at Balduck always comes back to one angry refrain from our coaches: "UP THE HILL, YOU PUSSIES!" (Sorry for the language, Lowell. Coach said.)

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave, the coaches really said that?!?

; )

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped by the hill the other day - it might be 25' with a thick layer of snow on it, but if you haven't been there since your childhood, you would be surprised at how small the hill is. At least ten feet of it must have eroded off of the top in the past few decades. The wooden stair case has 26 steps to the top, and the peak of the hill might be 2-3' higher than the top of the steps. You do the math.

I found that the plot which Grosse Pointe owned and used as a dump was 200' wide by 5,000' long, stretching north from Mack Avenue to beyond Chandler Park Drive. They sold it to the Augustinians who then sold it to the Detroit Parks Commission in exchange for a small parcel Detroit owned to the east of the property. This is where Austin High School was built. Detroit then added the strip acquired from the Order to another strip adjacent to Canyon to create Balduck Park.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several people mentioned Balduck Park. That was a big hangout for a time in the late sixties, or early seventies, lots of dope smoking, rock and roll, drinking, and cruising. This went on for several weeks until the cops couldn't take it anymore and rioted. They came in swinging billy clubs and knocking heads. It looked like a replay of the 68 Democratic Convention in Chicago, on a much, much smaller scale. Those of us that could run fast enough or who got lucky avoided getting beat up by the cops. But many were not that fortunate and felt the blows from their clubs. Does anyone else remember this?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Farmbrook, only a hop, skip, and a jump from the park. The park really became a hangout for all kinds of hippies, yippies, scofflaws, and ne’er-do-wells. We weren’t allowed to go into the park any longer because of all the dope smoking and drinking, but we would sneak over there anyway. The partying began to get bigger with each passing week, and even a “shooting gallery” was set up out in the open. I began to notice a few very unhip types among the revelers, some of them toting cameras. I was there when one of the first busts began, the cops arriving in blue busses. They formed a picket as they started there sweep through the park. The “pigs” wore riot gear, and wielded clear Plexiglas shields and Billy clubs. Many of the flower children fled, but a few (to stoned on reds to know any better) stayed to fight it out, throwing Boons Farm and Ripple bottles at the fuzz. I beat a hasty path straight home, only to find my old man on the front porch, swearing at the long hairs in retreat. Some of them were bloody from the clubbing they got from the cops. For me, that marked the end of the park that I knew as a kid. After that, my brother and some of his punk friends from Finney high school hung out there and launched nightly raids on some of the asshole neighbors they didn’t like. I was a good kid, so one day I left it all behind to become an upstanding member of society. Honest!

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3034
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1970:

1971:

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Farmbrook from about 1955 thru 1963 on the block north of Chandler Park drive and was told the hill came from the expressway.

As kids, we had heard a story that someone had died sledding down the boulder side of the hill.
Where do boulders come from in Detroit anyway? Its clay except for the quicksand under St. Johns' Hospital. A cyclone fence was eventually put at the bottom of that side of the Hill.

There were two toboggan runs. City employees would water the runs and let loose toboggans.

A City of Detroit band would perform on wooden platforms on summer nights. Frankie S-- crawled under the platform and lit a smoke bomb one night. The heavy smoke came up through the tuba section and stopped the performance.

High school students "parked" in the Balduck Park parking lot on Friday and Saturday night circa 1964. There were informal rules and protocol. When one drove one's car between two other parked cars with steamed windows, headlights were off as a courtesy. At, I think, about 10:55pm a police car would drive through the Park with lights on but no siren. Everyone knew this meant that he would return at 11 and we had to leave before then.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did this area have the reputation at the time that the suburb's police were more strict than the city police? The time being 1971,

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Bulletman and Mikem for the information. I was beginning to think that I was the only one that remembered the police riots at Balduck, or that I had imagined it.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub,
If Balduck was made from freeway landfill digging it probably came from the section of I-94 west of Conner. I lived in the Harper & Moross area in the '50s. As a pre-teen I often played on the freeway excavation in the late '50s between Moross and Conner. I was going to Balduck Hill before the I-94 section east of Conner was begun.

Where ever the fill for Balduck came from it does not strike me as being a very big volume; I would suspect from nearby basements before freeway fill.

The small nature area adjacent to the park was always a small mystery for me. As a kid we would sometimes jump the fence to check it out.

Before joining the Marine in '67 I sometimes went to Balduck to do wind sprints up the hill.

When there was trouble at Balduck in the early '70s I knew a couple of lawyers who went around the pot smoking crowd passing out biz cards in case they got arrested.

Has there been any snow on the hill this winter?

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were some people sledding down today (including a cute little dog running down having fun "chasing" his owner on a sled) and there was no grass peeking out so it's got a fair amount of snow on it.

It was always a good place to go to on the 4th of July at least since 1999. Not sure if the guys that put on the semi pro looking fireworks display ever had some sort of permit or if it was just them getting together to set them off but it was always fun to watch.

Oladub

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to http://maps.live.com/ and type in Balduck Park Detroit or a street address. This will produce a map. Use the roller on your mouse to scroll in and hold the left button to shift the map. Then, click the little icon with buildings on it. This makes the hill at Balduck Park look very small. Click the W,S, and E buttons on the compass to see the hill from different directions.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we used to run from denby to the park and have our cross country meets there...some of our foes, used to hide behind the hill and wait for the last lap to spring out and finish the races...I remember exploring the "nature area" and skating in winter....Sledding was great , usually to crowed....hill seemed like a mountain until high school ...denby class of 77

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever excavation is done in the area you can find those big boulders. They are underground all over from being dropped from te glaciers. When I lived in Grosse Pointe Woods they did the water mains on our block, when they dug down to lay the new main they brought up lots of smooth rocks of all different sizes. That goes along with that dirt was dug up somewhere local and it was a good spot to dump it.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am one of the original Treefrogs that played softball there for 20 years. Teams still play there as also the Treefrogs. We also brought our chairs there. Archery was still going on then to.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My memories of Balduck aren't as vivid as the ones I read so far, but that area (some call it 'copland') is 1 of the few areas in the city that look decent. At the same time, when i worked @ Finney High School, I'd sometimes take my lunch breaks @ Balduck and walk through the neighborhood, watch the little league ball games, I EVEN SAW HANDGLIDING THERE! [no, I'm not drunk, either-lol] but the most fun thing I love about the park the most is the tobagganing in the winter! i never did it, but it was fun to watch. It hurts me 2 say this, but I prefer Balduck/Copland (alotta cops stay there) over the East English Village anyday of the week. Sadly, even though the area is still well-kept, some of the homes there have been foreclosed in recent months, but the area still rocks!

Ron_saad

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did you work at Finney Waxx.
My Cousin taught there.

Harsensis

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lost my hard drive and I have been refinding lost links. I knew this plane video of Balduck was out there from Hammydude. I found it, so here is a air video of the park. http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=-3536001664156776680

Waxx

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked @ Finney HS summer of '96, and I worked there from '04-'05, I miss it. My mom went there in the late'60s-early 70s. She was one of the 1st black people to attend there when [mostly] Grosse Pointe kids went there. I tell mama to this day 'your school has CHANGED!' (LOL) What was your cousin's name? I might know him/her.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was admitted into the hospital last weekend. When my husband and I went to go visit him we drove past Balduck. There were a lot of people out there sledding. When I went back Monday morning there were still quite a few people. I want to take our kids out there. We have a park by our house with a hill, but it is much smaller than Balduck. I also use to have baseball practice there and our coach made us run up the hill. I hated that so much.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointers NEVER went to Finney - they went to GP North or South. Far Eastsider's between Denby and Southeastern made up the Finney student body.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish to correct you Eastside61.On the contrary, I was very surprised to find that when I went to Finney High in the 70's we had a number of Grosse Pointers enrolled there.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that comment about Grosse Pointers attending Finney HS too. If it's true that "a number of Grosse Pointers enrolled there," how was it possible? Back then, if you chose to attend public school, didn't you have to attend the public school that served the district in which you lived? No schools of choice!!

Waxx

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey y'all, my folks went to Finney in the 60s and 70s, and they said that GP kids went there. Even the teachers I've worked with who's been there for decades says that Grosse Pointers filled up over half the population. That would make some sense seeing that the Pointes aren't but five miniutes or so away from Finney. Despite its dilapidated condition now, I STILL say that Finney is one of-if not THE-best schools I've worked in. As far as how it would've been possible back then for out-of-district kids to attend Public Schools back then, I've no idea. That was before my time anyway-I'm just going by what the older people say-they were there, I wasn't(lol).

Ron_saad

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Yezback was the teacher

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3708
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me put the Grosse Pointers going to Finney thing to rest... the Detroit neighborhood east of Balduck Park has a Grosse Pointe mailing address! Streets like Hillcrest, Lannoo, Gateshead, Ashley, Lafontaine, Anatole and Canyon are all in Detroit, but the residents have a Grosse Pointe mailing address.

I have a buddy who still lives on Gateshead in Detroit, and I always thought it peculiar that his mail says "GROSSE POINTE".

I graduated from Finney in 1971, and I knew of no ACTUAL Grosse Pointe kids going there. Some of the Detroit kids living along the Grosse Pointe border with a Grosse Pointe mailing address, said that they lived in Grosse Pointe, when they actually didn't!!

Kathleen is correct about the residency requirements in effect back then.

Many years ago my buddy on Gateshead had new next door neighbors move in who thought that with a Grosse Pointe mailing address they could sent their 2 kids to the Grosse Pointe schools... boy were they in for a shock!!

(Message edited by Gistok on March 01, 2007)

Waxx

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Yezback was the teacher

Ron_saad, i think he's before my time. My folks might remember him but that was decades ago.

Waxx

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, like I said, I went by what the older people @ Finney HS told me. Besides that was before my time. But what's most impressive about the Balduck, or 'Copland' area as well as the EEV (East English Village), is that to this day on a 'technical' note as it were, that area is 'considered' Grosse Pointe because both sides of Mack share the same zip code. I know that those who have car insurance for several cars are just flat-out elated that their insurance is just as cheap as GP.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just recently moved East English Village (EEV) and I was told not to long ago, and I can't remember who told me this,... they said the Hill at Balduck park was made from digging the basement out for St. John's Hospital. I don't know if it's true but Balduck is in the shadow of St. John's. Just my 2 cents.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved running up the hill at Balduck. Baseball practice, football practice ... it made a little man outta me.

Thanks, Joe Simoncini!
You, too, Matt.
And let's not forget Tom Hurley.

St. Matt's Marauders ...
Go, team, go!

Chalu64

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HNot,

I miss my dad. (i'm giving away my identity...)

Elviswithteeth
Username: Elviswithteeth

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats quit alright Chalu64... your secret is safe with me.

Chalu64

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elvis, who are you?

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be to easy L....

Chalu64

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're killing me here. Give me another hint ...teeth.

Chalu64

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Figured it out. I owe you a phonecall, FordBoy.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be....ExFordBoy! LOL!

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<bump>

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4/29/2007

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent shot FBD!!It really gives the perspective of how large that park really is.

Harsensis

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was checking back to see if somebody finally had the answer, looks like we are still searching!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 407
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon, beauty! In this shot one can see the house my grandfather built and where our family lived at; 5241 Farmbrook. Thanks!
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup042907120.jpg?t=1178356557

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon's Grandfathers house, back in the mid 1950s.

Miket
Username: Miket

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman
i remember some good times at balduck park along with angel park at the foot of alter rd and farwell park on outer drive.I remember
John Nichols(Detroit police chief)coordinating
the sweep at farwell park.All the cops coming across the field from 8 mile on thier little honda's.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 569
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Flybydon, my sister Lynne, rented the house next door to him. She lived there back in the mid 70's. It was a house that was on the back of the lot, the second or third one from that corner.

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember driving past the wooded area at Balduck around 1980 and seeing a guy that hung himself in a tree. I thought it was a prank at first.. but the cops told me otherwise.

Oladub

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon, Tishee Klinger used to live directly across Radnor from your Grandfather in the late 50's. There were always a lot of kids around that house. Tishee was a tomboy at the time and could fight as well as the neighborhood boys. I lived on the Farmbrook side of that block. Celeste Cox and Janet Taramina also lived on that block of Radnor at that time.

PHOTOS OF BALDUCK PARK TOBOGGAN RUN CHRISTMAS 1958
(taken with Kodak brownie box camera)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/Hjiln/BalduckParkChristmas1958t.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/Hjiln/BalduckParkChristmas1958t.jpg

(Message edited by oladub on June 07, 2007)

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sledding was great and they have pretty spectacular public fireworks there on the 4th. not legal at all.big ones. my husband and I went one year and hid on the side of the raquet ball building in case one took off in the wrong direction. an accident waiting to happen! Great dog park across the street.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the 50s and early 60s we sledded and went ice skating at Balduck! also in the summer, I remember as a little kid playing "Lone Ranger" games of some sort in that boulder part. it was one of the best parks in Detroit, I thought. but did it have a curly slide? hmmm.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub, that is a nice snap of the toboggan run at Balduck Park.(Only one came up?). We lived at that park, having only a short walk from Farmbrook. Do you remember the Scanlons? Or the Frabottas? Koppel?

Oladub

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, Those toboggan shots were taken on Christmas Day 1958 which is probably why there are so few people using the hill. The composition isn't bad for a 10 year old. Notice how well iced the toboggan run is. Normally, there would be Parks and Rec. guys there to oversee the long line of toboggans being pulled up the hill and water the run with a hose. They held toboggans back with a piece of pipe stuck into a hole in the ice.

I lived at 5794 about 2 blocks from your house, according to Live Search, from about 1955-1963. Was your house the big white house with the pine tree in front as shown on Live Search? Names I remember between Warren and Chandler include Gary Smyth and Gary Smith - both of whom died in Vietnam. One of the longest funeral processions I ever saw was Gary Smyth's on Farmbrook. Dennis Hartness was supposed to have become a Hell's Angel in California. Other names- Bonnie Bordeau and DeGreyse. I assume that you also were on a league at Maple Lanes and had some fights and other growing up experiences and intrigue at Balduck Park. This is a 1958 Farmbrook picture. http://i156.photobucket.com/al bums/t37/Hjiln/FarmbrookLinvil lelookingnorth.jpg

Margaret - Here is where you played. http://i156.photobucket.com/al bums/t37/Hjiln/BalduckParkChri stmas1958b-1.jpg

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub, you are correct, that is the house we lived in at 5241. My grandfather, dad, and uncle built that place back in 1938(?). The addition was built in the mid 60s'. It was one of the first houses on the block, and my dad planted that spruce tree. I recall a Brian (?) DeGreyse. Maple lanes was the first place that I experienced air conditioning. We spent a lot of time in that place, mostly watching others (Dennis Dominic) who could bowl. Balduck Park was a back drop for my entire youth. Ice skating, sledding, tobogganing, etc.etc. We lived there, it seemed. We wouldn't come home till we were called home for dinner. Looking back, one can really appreciate those times growing up. I bet we crossed paths many times there, without ever knowing. Thanks for the photos, they really take me back. I have a few of our own, but I got to get them from my dad, and will post them when I do.

Gistok

Post Number: 4505
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though I grew up on Marseilles... some of the family names of people living on Radnor I knew growing up in the 1960's... Sintebin, Bushbacher, Moon, Kosevec, Sphire.

I too used to love playing with friends in the back boulder covered part of Balduck Hill. It was like the wild west back there with scrubby bushes that resembled Sagebrush and Bristlecone Pine.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 607
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats just how we viewed the hill. What price can be put on those memories, Gistok? I wonder if kids today will have this as they grow old? Moon, Kosevec, Sphire are all ringing a bell with me as well..

Gistok

Post Number: 4513
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, the Moon's (I went to school with Alan, he had a lot of sisters) lived on the 2nd house off of Linville (NW) on Radnor. Their older house sat closer to the street than other houses on Radnor.

The Sphires (Sheri) and Kosovec's (Mark & Dennis) lived in the 4th & 5th house (SE) off of Berden on Radnor.

Oladub

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I thought you also had some Gateshead area affiliation? Radnor and the Gateshead to Park area had a lot of set back alley houses, even though there were no alleys, because thats the way Belgians like to set their houses. More room to grow vegetables to save money. Incidentally, I have a lot of photos of the "Old Man" Lannoo that the street was named after.

Bulletmagic, How about pick-up baseball games on hot summer mornings, Sunday group picnics, seeing how far an arrow would fly on a weekday, and the edge of the parking lot on Friday nights?

Viewing toboggan runs from below on Christmas day 1958

http://i156.photobucket.com/al bums/t37/Hjiln/BalduckParkChri stmas1958b.jpg

This goes with the previously posted view from on high -

http://i156.photobucket.com/al bums/t37/Hjiln/BalduckParkChri stmas1958t.jpg

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub,we used to walk through that parking lot and see all the rubbers strewn about. I recall the time when my brother Dave, dared an archer to see how high they could fling an arrow. Man those things went out of sight! Well one of them came down after a looong flight, and sunk into the earth down to the feathers, right between his feet! Gistok, the Almonds lived on that block of Radnor, as well as the Rifes. (Man, its all coming back...scary!)I moved over to Lafontaine and Frankfort at 17, and lived with the Benders.

Gistok

Post Number: 4517
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bulletmagnet, I said Sphires, but Rife was the name I actually meant. Sherry Rife was who I went to Marquette with.

I remember the Pillon's (sp?) lived on that big 2 story house along the sidestreet between Ashley & Canyon (is that 2 block sidestreet Southampton?).

I went to Marquette school with Marion Overton. The Overton's lived on Lannoo, and her older brother George was murdered in Cobo Hall in the mid 60's in an elevator when he refused to give up the $2 he had in his pocket to a knife wielding youth. George Overton was there for a school band function, and his death made all the dailies.

It was my first encounter with ANY crime in Detroit back in the 1960's as a 12 year old.

Eastside61

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok - I knew a Rief family on Neff....north of CPD.....She went to Stellwagen but she graduated from Denby in 61....

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I am still well acquainted with Ernie Pillion. Knew him as a kid, and worked with him at the city. He's a UPS guy now. How about the Higgs? They lived at the corner of Canyon and Anatole. Kathy was the last girl I dated before I met my wife. We (Kathy and I) met at Balduck when we were kids, and dated as young adults.

Gistok

Post Number: 4522
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Marquette with Michael Pillon. He was a really uptight and strange kinda guy. I heard that he had committed suicide in Florida many years ago.

Don't know any of the others you mentioned. And I didn't know any Stellwagen folks.

Others in the Balduck Park neighborhood I knew were Sienel, Sinhuber, Collins, Beattie, Wandry, Piet, Burton, Head, Capranica, Catalfio, Wolf, Fields, Groomes, Connelly, Garvaglia, Augustin and Gotts.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 12, 2007)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 625
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets see now, true M. Pillon did commit suicide years back, sad. Mr. Pillon died just a few years ago. Don Burton? Just had a request for his E-mail today. Wayne Gotts, went to HS with hin and his pal Steve Goodman. And Wolf, what was her first name? I donno, but hot.

Gistok

Post Number: 4537
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately Bulletmagnet, Wayne Gotts (on Lodewyck) also committed suicide a few years ago, he had a substance abuse problem. But his brother Keith and sister Judy are still with us. I used to go camping in their back yard with several other kids back in the 60's.

The suicide rate in the neighborhood was rather alarming for some reason. My friend Tony Piet (lived on the NE corner of Marseilles & Berden) also committed suicide in his mothers garage (garage closed, car running), because it was his 3rd drunk driving arrest and he didn't want to go to prison.

And my older brothers friend Bob Bauer (NE corner of Minerva & University) supposedly hung himself in his garage, although many years later I found out from his aunt that it was autoerotica asphyxia that did him in.

The Wolf family I knew lived on Marseilles, and were 3 brothers Kenny (the youngest), Doug, and can't remember the oldest.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 634
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about Wayne, Gistok. He and I went to Finney and I recall many times parting at Balduck Park with him. He was a good guy, with problems unfortunately. Here is his 1974 Finney HS photo:

w gotts

Eastside61

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for a 1965 Finney Year Book...anybody have one....???

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Oldtown and went to Finney GRADE school from 1939-played in the big fields where St John is and there was no hill or Balduk Park.
Chandler Park Dr was finished then. Dirt for the hill probably came from St John and or I-94.
Fun reading about old things at Balduk way AFTER my time.We just enjoyed all the Belgiques.

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was doing a search on my old street Lafontaine. I lived there in the 60s. Ernie Pillon was a friend of mine back then. We were born on the same day. Sorry to hear about his brother, Michael. He wasn't my favorite person, however. I love reading these thread about Balduck and the old neighborhood.

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet,
I'm brand new to this site today. I've been reading all the posts about Balduck Park. The descriptions and the pictures are great. I, too, spent most of my youth at Balduck, probably with you and your older brothers and sisters. On those nice, warm summer days we used to pack a brown bag lunch, head two blocks to the park area where the swings and slides were, and just stay all day having fun. Your not Dave; you've already mention him as your brother

I'm not sure which of the first ten you are but I'll figure it out as I read your posts.

Bluenote132003
Username: Bluenote132003

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet,
Saw in one of your old posts above you knew the Scanlons? John Scanlon used to be a good friend of mine. Also hung out with Greg Meyers, also on Farmbrook just off CPD. I grew up at Harvard and Frankfort. Ring any bells?

Cynthia_dudal
Username: Cynthia_dudal

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CYTNHIA DUDAL IS A NEW MEMBER

Cynthia_dudal
Username: Cynthia_dudal

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dudals bought the house on Ashley from the Pillion family..

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: