Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » EAST vs WEST « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a Detroiter through and through. But what's up with these imaginary boundaries. I have lived west of Woodard for my entire life. I went to Lou's to eat and Northland and Fairlane Malls to shop. never, never, not once did I cross Woodward.

My father passed away recently and I inherited his home in the Berry subdivision. I decided to move in there instead of the home I was in and it is like discovering Detroit all over again.

It got me to thinking about all of these imaginary boundaries we have in SE MI. Woodward, 8 Mile, Mack, Alter. Its is funny and sad all wrapped up into one package.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 938
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask Jjaba, he'll set you straight on the matter.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be the orange squirrels were west of Woodward, the dark brown ones east. But among the subtle little shifts in our ecology has been the expansion, at least according to my observations, of the range of the dark ones.

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cue sixty posts from Jjaba.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, New2theeastside!
The mile roads come in handy for orientation and don't let the extra GM and Chrysler products throw you off. Variety is good, like Mexicantown, Greektown, and Poletown.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing worthwhile on the east side. Well, maybe Belle Isle, but that's it.

New2theeastside

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
There is nothing worthwhile on the east side. Well, maybe Belle Isle, but that's it.

you see, that is what I thought too. But the east side has GREAT Food, GREAT old neighborhoods, and probably most important, the water is on the east side.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Olde Tap Room is on the east side. Buddy's Pizza (the real one) is slightly on the east side. Eastern Market is on the east side.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pewabic Pottery and Better Made chips are both east side.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does "east meet west"? If seems like I've seen a few signs go from east to west around 7-mile and John R, instead of Woodward?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite, Indian Village, is east-side. Of course, Belle Isle, the water, and all the new potential riverfront development in that corridor

Ray1936

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically the east/west street numbers change at Woodward from downtown to six mile, and then out John R from that point. I think that most Detroiters, however, just keep extending that line out Woodward and consider the John R. jog an anomaly.

On a greater scale, extend the "wall" to the northern counties. Oakland county is a land of wonderful lakes and streams, while Macomb county is a land of swamps and mosquitoes. Or so I am told by a pal in Milford.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo is on the east side as well...

hmmm...maybe we need to re examine this. And THIS coming from a life long westsider...

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of Bob Seger's earliest recorded songs (maybe his first) was Eastside Story. I think it was on the Hideout label. It had a great drum solo.

Professorscott

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray is right about the street numbers, courtesy of Detroit Edison which is who set up the system of numbering addresses in Detroit and many of the 'burbs. It leads to some oddities because right on McNichols, the north side of the street changes from east to west at John R but the south side changes at Woodward, so you have a situation where an address on West McNichols is across the street from an address on East McNichols.

But psychologically, most people think of Woodward as the dividing line, except in Royal Oak where Main St. (Livernois elsewhere) divides west-side Oakies from east-side Oakies.

When the Reuther Freeway opened, the Detroit News cartoonist had a great time with it. (This is from my aging memory so some details may be a bit off.) He showed an obviously rich-patrician type of fellow sitting in his easy chair smoking his pipe, explaining to his wife the fallacy of such a road. (It appeared to me, a west-sider, that the wealthy gentleman was a Pointer, but that was my west-side bias I fear.)

The gentleman says, between puffs of his pipe, "Well, you see, dear, we have no business going over there; they have no business coming over here, and it's named after a labor leader."

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate how so many east side streets are hard to pronounce, I mean Gratiot...Charlevoix...anyone?
But other than that the east side is great, the best girls from Detroit come from the eastside and thats a fact.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4775
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just don't go there. Nothing expecially wrong with it, just why bother? There's nothing there.

The closest jjaba got to the Eastside was Cass Tech. where he sat in clases with folks who talked funny and lived in places nobody ever heard of.

Detroit a very large city. So atleast get to know your side of it.

jjaba can't extend the divisions beyond the City Limits. Suburbs are suburbs, ya know what jjaba means?

jjaba met a guy from the Eastside of Detroit in Australia. About all's you can say is "Im sorry."
(And try to talk about what's on at the Sydney Opera House.)

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4776
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aaron, cue up jjaba #2.

In a real discussion about Eastside and Westside, do jjaba a favor. Downtown Detroit has no sides. Downtown Detorit is neither. It belongs to all.
Whether you are on W. Lafayette or East Adams downtown, you are Downtown, not East nor West.

To say Briggs Stadium is West and Comerica Park is East is to talk stupid. Don't talk stupid. Thanks.

jjaba on the Dexter bus.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so what about Detroit Mercy? I went to school there and it is technically on 'West McNichols' but I always sort of thought of it more as north Detroit. Doesn't really seem to fit the same blend as truly 'west side'

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3608
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many angels can dance on the west side of a pin head? [Rhetorical question]

The suburb I lived in from 72-99, Highland Park, did not get into the east-west side thingie. Everybody was a Parker and cheered for the Polar Bears.

The northside is not into that either. Those passion burn most brightly in the old French grid streets between HP and downtown.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My people in the Detroit area would always insist that "The Westside is the best side."

Not sure how true that is, as I'd prefer to be closer to the water myself if I lived there, but...

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with you Lowell, in Highland Park they even change the names of the streets from east side to west side. I was a westsider from 15 Waverly. Across Woodward the street name was Beresford. It is true however that everybody was a Parker. Go Polar Bears.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was growing up the west side was always evil to me. I was always told that's where all the communists and perverts hung out.

Plus whenever one of my relatives was dying we always had to cross over Woodward to Beaumont Hospital to see them before they kicked it.

The West side is just creepy.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Everybody was a Parker and cheered for the Polar Bears.

Lowell, do you by chance know the origins of their "Polar Bears" nickname?

quote:

... courtesy of Detroit Edison which is who set up the system of numbering addresses in Detroit and many of the 'burbs.

Here's a helpful hint if you are looking for the location of a street address on any N-S street in the gridded areas north of the old "French" street patterns in Detroit and its suburbs. The address can be resolved to the nearest "mile road" as follows":

a) Subtract 5,000 from the street address
b) Divide the result by 1,000
c) Divide that result by 2 to get the "mile road" location of the address.

Example:
Dakota Inn, 17324 John R

(17324-5000)=12324
(12324/1000)=12.32
(12.32/2)=6.16 or 0.16 mile north of McNichols (Six Mile Rd.)

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only that worked for Outer Drive..

Professorscott

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That little algebra technique Mikeg put forth works way out into the north 'burbs as well. I know people who live north of 32 Mile Road (yes Virginia there is a 32 Mile Road) and you can locate their place using that technique.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4779
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte paul, Univ. of Detroit at W. Mc Nichols and Livernois is deep in the Westside of Detroit.
Livernois is a main arterial on the Westside. It runs the entire length of the city from Ft. Wayne to WEST Eight Mile Rd. Mercy, mercy!

rjk is right. The Westside is loaded up with colorful characters. You left out the KKK in Brightmoor BTW.

As for Beaumont Hosp., that's suburban. All bets are off.

Highland Park is Highland Park. It doesn't fit the equation either. That's some kinda small town loaded up with Ford workers from Scotland. Later, they let in a few Lebanese when Henry Ford recruited them off a boat from Beirut.

jjaba, Westside Sociologist.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2886
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting equation, Mikeg. Thanks for sharing.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2887
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Sekou, the East Side is the older side of the city. The names (Cadieux, Gratiot, Charlevoix or Schoenherr, Frazho, etc. in the suburbs) are not hard to pronounce. There is a more old-world feel around here.

New2theeastside

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
When I was growing up the west side was always evil to me. I was always told that's where all the communists and perverts hung out.

I was always told that about the Eastside. I remember the first time I caught the 8mile bus to Eastland(to meet a girl), I was so nervous once we crossed Woodward. I was so scared I was going to get "grabbed" and my mother would never know what happened to me.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4783
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newtotheeastside tells it like it tis. Scary is an understatement.
Welcome to The Forum.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3511
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Jjaba will give you the "West Side Story"... but the problem is that westsiders are used to the grid streets and when they get east of Woodward, they end up in the "French Ribbon Farm" method of street alignment, and the lack of right angles in street arrangements sends them screaming back to the west side... :-)

Yes it seems that those ribbon farms are what gives the east side a lot of streets that are out of alignment with the 4 compass points.

Unfortunately the west side got all the universities and colleges, but the east side got much of the ethic neighborhoods, and interesting street names.

The east riverfront also got much of the glorious architecture of the Hoi Poloi.... while the west side got the industry, stinky air and Zug Island.

Need I say more?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must be one of the few west siders who doesn't break out in hives when crossing Woodward. I grew up near U of D, but I had cousins who lived on the east side (St. Clair and Mack), so I had some exposure to the ES as a kid.

Later, while attending Wayne State in the 70s, I met a girl who lived at Chalmers and E. Warren. Talk about culture shock! I found a whole new world of people and places that I had no clue about. I really enjoyed hanging out on the east side and continued to do so even after she and I broke up.

I also lived in West Village (Van Dyke, 2 blocks north of E. Jefferson) for 3 years in the early 80s. I'm back on the west side now, but I still have a lot of great memories of the great times and great people I found on the east side back in the day.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4786
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is joking. Talk about belching industries; try Packards, Hudson, Fisher Body, US Rubber, GM forge, GM Axle, Budd Wheel, Divco Truck, Chalmers, Studebakers, Dodge Main, Briggs Radiator, Murray Body, Detroit Stove, and several Chrysler plants. All on the Eastside.

Gary tells it like it tis. He leaves the Eastside as if he was living in Cleveland. He notes he's leaving another place, although he's still in Detroit.

jjaba moves around Detroit too, but always on the Westside. He knows the Westside. When he leaves Detroit, he moves to another state, not considering ever the Eastside. Gistok's comments about Ribbon Farms is a good point, but that's only part of the story. A bigger story is the people are so damn different.

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4791
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba gives you five known streets on Westside. How many Eastsiders ever heard of any of them?

Roselawn. Dix. Kendal. Woodbine. Chalfonte.

jjaba, case closed.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a fourth generation west sider. I know nothing of the east side, beside Belle Isle and my vet.
I've been working out of Detroit Tech (the little magnet school attached to Pershing) for the past six months and I realize I don't have any of the good anecdotes of weird factoids about east side neighborhoods.
I'm really missing out.
(of course, I do still love Southwest Detroit best)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duck, you bring up a point that is a further distinction of W vs E. My heart has always been in South West including Delray and the often forgotten South Schaffer area which is quite distinct from E, NW, SE or NE parts of town. East side and NW were where the rich folks lived.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4795
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Homer, you must be thinking about the Westside jjaba never knew. If you think Northlawn and Schoolcraft is "rich folks" you haven't walked down my street. Nice 5 room two-flats, with basements and coal bins isn't exactly fantzy.

If you were lucky, your family owned the house.
Solid working class people. Salt of the Earth people. A United Nations of people until white flight drove them to Livonia in the 1960s.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba and his westside streets.
I thought Dix was down near Lincoln Park, Roselawn was the name of a sled in a movie, Kendal was a motor oil,and Woodbine was a former Coast Guard cutter on Lake Michigan.
BUT, Chalfonte--Now that was an East side street well before westsiders could even spell it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4817
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, pronounce Gratiot. Over here on the Westside, we get confused. And Cadieux while you're at it. And Goethe.

jjaba, LOL.

The_rock

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westsiders are always confused. Try Grah-shut. And there is a Jew in Cad-Jew, and just add another e to Goethe and you got go-thee.
Anything else, just call. We are always willing to help out you folks "over there".

Jjaba

Post Number: 4821
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goethe is something like Gehrte'. Go-thee?
Ok, things are different over there.

Did ever a Jew live on Cadieux? Sounds like cashews.

Over here, we hear it's Grah-SHIT. Emphasis on the ending.

jjaba, lurking. Thanks Rock.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3732
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol the rock

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only the east side could provide such a classy street name:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G oethe

Pronounced Go-ta. With that german accent on the Go- part which cuts off the full 'O'. Try to avoid saying "GO", although it's acceptable, but if you want to be classy like an eastsider, you need to meld a slight, "-eu" sound in with the 'o.' Trust me, I lived within a block of this street, closer to Chalfonte (another eastside classic).

We had the Belgians, French, and Germans, the west side had the Irish, Poles, and Slavs. I won't go into the gene pool debate, because I'm a product of a cross-town marriage. The only thing the east didn't have was very many Jews, as Jjaba makes very clear...I could count the Jews in my high school on one hand (perhaps two). I went on to be immersed in Ann Arbor and all its Jewy glory.

Other great eastside originals:
Waterworks Park
Chandler Park
The Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway
Eastern Market
Belle Isle
Indian Village
East English Village (most integrated in the city?)
St. Joseph Church (only Detroit church on the National Historic Register)
Original Buddy's Pizza
The incinerator! Directly upwind from where I grew up!
And Grosse Pointe beats Oakland County.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, you've got Goethe pretty close... another way to describe it is to say "Gay", but curl your lips. So it's (lip curl)..... Gay-ta.

Dede313
Username: Dede313

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont want to start a war....But I always thought downtown Detroit was part of the eastside...Most eastsiders do ..Why??

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thought. The only rationale I can think of is that the C of D sprawls more to the west, so even if you're at the eastern limits near GP you're still awfully close to downtown, but if you're at Telegraph and 8-mile, you feel pretty distant.

Greektown, the stadia, and the Ren Cen are east of Woodward, but I don't think eastsiders claim them as their own, just as westsiders shouldn't claim Wayne State or the Fisher Building.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shucks, Jjaba, you broke your promise.

There is so much I could say about the Westside, but won't.

The_rock

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have often advocated a tug of war between East and West. Right downtown where we could get a lot of publicity, lots of spectators. Lay that long rope across Woodward Ave. Each side lines up on its own sacred turf, Kwame could fire the starter's gun, and let the tug begin. We could settle things once and for all.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the west side had the Irish, Poles, and Slavs.

The Poles and Serbs in my family were all eastside.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock: I concur, and I also advocate this between the two sides of Grosse Pointe (let's call the CCD the divider).

Pam, the ethnic neighborhoods are a patchwork that is definitly too complicated the generalize. Just east of midtown over to about Mt. Elliot was very Polish, you're right. How could I forget about the 4-5 Polish churches in that small area?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate how so many east side streets are hard to pronounce, I mean Gratiot...Charlevoix...anyone?
But other than that the east side is great, the best girls from Detroit come from the eastside and thats a fact.

Well, Mayor_Sekou
I am a lifelong eastsider (SERIOUSLY considering moving west) and I was under the impression that the westside honeys were the most attractive-@ least the ones I've worked with were. If U get a chance, check out the thread I posted on 'westsiders of the forum'
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/92649.html?1171764920

As far as pronuncing the names of eastside streets are concerned, it's all 50/50 to me. I've had similar problems about westside streets. Just recently I dropped off a coworker and I came across the street 'Stahelin'-I thought named after the Nazi, right? Then he corrected me and said it was pronounced 'Sta-hee-lin'. Well, I'm glad he cleared that one up(lol).
other names-on both sides of Woodward-I've trouble with also. You mentioned 2 of 'em.
Gratiot (some pronounce it 'Grat-tee-ot')
Charlevoix (some say 'Charlevox')
Freud ('Frood' if you were rasied south of E. Jefferson)
Lahser (You pretty much know how ALL of us at one point in time used to-and STILL do pronounce this one!)
Stephenson (I didn't know-being 7 years old @ the time-that 'ph' was pronounced as 'V')
Jos. Campau (Do I have 2 explain this one?)
(Houston) Whittier
Westmoreland
Goulburn
Cadieux
And so many more that I can't recall right now.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta love Detroit for its history. It integrates itself so much into everyday city life. All those names sure beat the street names in those new subdivisions out at the very edge of the metro area: Deerfield, Oak Drive, Pebble Ct, Eagle Heights, Hearthside, etc. Think any of those names come from any sort of history?

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte, welcome to suburbia...where they tear down the trees and name the streets after them.

Waxx

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over here, we hear it's Grah-SHIT. Emphasis on the ending.

Jjaba, U AIN'T NEVER LIED ABOUT THAT (LOL)! Like most northbound-southbound streets N Detroit, they always look their BEST past 6 mile!

Waxx

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock,

Goethe (pronounced goo-tay, or go-tay in German, gur-da pronounced in English) was [ASSumingly] named after the German poet/revolutionary Johann Von Goethe. Read some of his stuff, it's deep.

Another historical tidbit.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did "Outer Drive" ever get its name/designation?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3865
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cause Outer Drive once ran on the 'outer' edge of the city...

Waxx

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin, didja read the article that the Metro Times posted on Outer Drive two, or three years ago? It was a two-part series. And it was deep, too! If you haven't, check it out.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That article was good until his foot bothered him he covered Outer Dr good till his foot got hurt and then the article was rushed. The idea was great but needed more work. Outer Drive is a great road most areas along it are still very nice.....oh yea and East Side is the best side!

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside is the best side. Only thing the Westside got us beat in is neighborhood density and size.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West side has got the $$$ that is why they are better than the east side!

Ray1936

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except for the old Grand Trunk corridor, I think the west side has three times more railroad track miles.

I dunno if that's necessarily a plus or a minus, but when you're a kid, it's wonderful to have tracks and trains nearby.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4974
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trains on the Eastside, Ray1936?
Trains to NOwhere!

Look where they have to go to catch a stinking flight out of Detroit. If they would have supported their own City Airport, they'd save all of us on I-94. Look how long it must take them to get to UM football games. Must be days into night.

And Eastsiders, Ann Arbor is NOT a suburb.
jjaba, Westsider. LOL.

jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The three most overrated things in the world are bowling trophies, the CIA, and UM football.

Not necessarily in that order.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4976
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba doesn't know about that bowling one. Eastsiders wear clean bowling shirts to their weddings, jjaba hears. Well, not exactly, you can tell the groom because he has THE clean one.

But don't kid your bad newsboy self, Eastsiders love the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings. As for Red Wings, second only to the Canadians who cross the Tunnel for games.

jjaba.

Urbanize

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'all westsiders wouldn't be able to survive without those expressways. The only one we got on the Eastside is I-94 and I-75 if you want to count it (but doesn't really count since it's borderline). You guys have I-75, I-96, Southfield, I-94 AND M-10. I know folks would refuse to use the surface streets to come to the Eastside where as an Eastsider would choose a surface street anyday to commute to the westside or even downtown.

What I'm saying is, at least Eastsiders know how to utilize their surface streets to get where there going sometimes.

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 10, 2007)

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Waxx, STALIN was a communist Russian dictator, not a Nazi.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, not exactly, you can tell the groom because he has THE clean one."

Never went to an east side wedding. How hard is it to Polka in bowling shoes?????

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being from a longtime eastside family, I was taught from a very early age about the order of the major cross streets if you travel west on Moross/7 Mile: You start at Jefferson, then there's Mack, Harper, Kelly, Hayes, Gratiot, Schoenherr, Hoover, Outer Drive, Van Dyke, Mound, Ryan, Conant, Dequindre, John R, Woodward, Livernois... then, I think all those streets that sound similar, like Greenfield/Southfield/Evergree n/Everfield/Southgreen, are in there somewhere, and then Telegraph, and right after that you're in Northville and a couple of miles beyond that is Holland or Muskegon. Right?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3903
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I peeped that (I think it was 2 years ago?). It was a good read...

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 474
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury

Ditto. Your 1430. And then you could move closer to "Hudsons"...then .... "unknown/better have a map/WHY "Woodward"?

Fareastsider

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everfield? I live north east of the city and I know that isnt a road. From Woodward it is Woodward, Livernois, Wyoming, Schaefer, Greenfield, Southfield, Evergreen, Lahser, Telegraph, Five Points(. From 8 Mile it is 7, Mchnichols, Fenkell, Schoolcraft, Plymouth, Joy, Warren, Ford. Of course you cant forget your 1/2 mile rds. Meyer, Hubbell, Asbury Park or Murray Hill im not sure which one is the main one. Burt, Burg, five points. The N/S streets Pembroke, Curtis, Puritan, Lyndon, Chicago, Tireman, Paul. That is without a map! Not bad for someone who doesnt live in the city huh? Some of us to the east keep a sharp eye on what goes on in the west. Where the streets are so orderly! Jjaba can verify my accuracy

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3905
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The N/S streets Pembroke, Curtis, Puritan, Lyndon, Chicago, Tireman, Paul

Those are E/W not north south...

Jjaba

Post Number: 4979
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, you're the onliest UPS driver that doesn't get lost over here. We are very impressed.

From Ford Road, you did perfect on the mile roads on the Westside.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i meant going from North to south

Jjaba

Post Number: 4983
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsder, ok, from W. Eight mile Rd., you did good.

jjaba, Far Westsider.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Everfield? I live north east of the city and I know that isnt a road..."

Fareastsider, are you SURE you're from the eastside? Now, I'm pretty sure I've driven on Everfield, years ago... or maybe it was Southgreen, anyway, it was through the wilds of the westside. I don't know, I got lost. Thought I was probably in Muskegon. It couldn't have been Detroit, 'cause it sure didn't look like Detroit. I remember passing streets like Plymouth, Puritan, Pilgrim, Mayflower, Pocahontas, Quaker, and such.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Walpole Island part of the east side?

Fareastsider

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walpole island is in Canada off of Algonac

Jjaba

Post Number: 4987
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba thinks Walpole is a prison in Massachusetts.

May 1st. Dance around the Walpole.

Polish worker at Wal-Mart, Walpole.

Guy who can't dance, Wal-flowerpole.

Polish guy who voted for George Wallace, Wallacepole.

Bigtime Union guy, Walter-reutherpole.

Poet, Walt-whitmanpole.

CBS reporter, Walter-cronkitepole.

jjabapole.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're bad, Jjaba.

When I lived on Warwick in Rosedale Park, my neighbor to the north was Dick Kolasinski. My neighbor to the south was his sister, Joan Kolasinski Oliver.

I told everyone I lived between the North Pole and the South Pole.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4991
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, that's funny. You got Kielbasa grill fumes coming and going. Oy veyesmere. Detroit, a United Nations of a town. Our strength is in our diversity.

We can see it now, sister to brother yelling over your yard. "Hey Stach, getcher you ass outta bed, we'll be late for church."

jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick got the big C and passed away ten years ago; his widow moved to New Hudson. His sister and her husband are well and moved to Elk Rapids, on Grand Traverse Bay. And I sit here on a mountainside in Henderson, NV. All of us were lifelong Detroiters.

Kind of the story of Detroit over the last two decades, eh? :-(

Waxx

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister-'Hey, Waxx, STALIN was a communist Russian dictator, not a Nazi.'

Thanks 4 clearing that 1 up 4 me, Michmeister. I was getting way too confused with that one!

Fareastsider

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East side is the BEST side!

Urbanize

Post Number: 827
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^What he said.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside is the LEASTSIDE!

Westside ROCKS!

Urbanize

Post Number: 828
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Westside is the Wackside.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Westside is the Wackside.

Incorrect. The Westside is the BESTSIDE!

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't go feather bowling on the west side!!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: