Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Closed Parishes In Detroit » Archive through April 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a Chicagoan who's visited Detroit many times, and while I've found information on a number of the city's beautiful churches, there are several closed parishes that I've been unable to locate. Does anyone know the approximate cross streets for the following closed Detroit parishes ?
1.Annunciation 2.Assumption (Conner's Creek) 3.Immaculate Conception (Poletown 4.Our Lady Of Guadalupe (closed 1957)5.Our Lady Of Help 6.Our Lady Of Sorrows 7.Patronage Of St Joseph 8.St Anthony 9.St Augustine 10.St Brigid 11.St David 12.St Jerome 13.St Joachim 14.St Paul (Maltese) 15.St Peter (Lithuanian)16.St Wenceslaus 17.Santa Maria

Thanks

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck finding Immaculate Conception. It's got a GM assembly plant over the top of it.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 380
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry..contact the archivist for the Archdiocese of Detroit at the number on this site:

http://www.aodonline.org/AODOn line/Parishes+2317/ParishLocat or.asp?ParishLocatorPageType=C losedParishes

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Annunciation -Parkview, n. of E. Jefferson. Still standing.
2. Our Lady of Help- torn down for urban renewal around l967 Elmwood & Congress
3. Our Lady of Sorrows-Meldrum and Benson> The first church burned down around l963, a new one replaced it.
4. St. Anthony- 52471 Sheridan. Still standing
5. Patronage of St. Joseph-Georgia & Raymond
6. St. Augustine- Justine, s. of Davison. closed
7. St. David- Gratiot and Rosemary or Gratiot and E. Outer Dr. closed
8. Santa Maria-Cardoni and Rosedale. closed
9.St. Wenceslaus- St. Antoine and Leland (torn down)
10. St. Paul's Maltese-4th and Plum (torn down)
11. St. Brigid- Schoolcraft & Indiana
12. St. Joachim- until l960s, (torn down) E. Fort and Dubois, then French Rd. and Montlieu

thanks for the interesting post!

Larry

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Swiburn. I knew Immaculate Conception and St John the Evangelist were torn down along with the rest of Poletown, but I'm uncertain of exactly where IC was located. Heard it was beautiful, though I've only seen a photo of the doors.

Was anyone ever inside of St Casimir on the West Side ? We have a church in Chicago that is strikingly similar in appearance.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you certain re: Immaculate Conception? The big Uke church in Hamtramack? I believe that I was driven by it about ten years ago (and it was still standing).

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry

The first or the second St. Casimir?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former St. David High School across the street from the church became Rosa Parks Middle School. I believe St. David briefly merged with St.Ignatius. I think the last mass at St. David was 1989 or 1990. The actual street address for the grade school was 8111 E. Outer Drive but you see the back of the school along Gratiot.

Larry

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey

I assume the first. The one with the large dome. Did burn down ? It bore a striking resemblance to St Mary of Perpetual Help in Chicago.

Craig

Were speaking of two different churches. IC in Poletown in Detroit was torndown.

Larry

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey

I assume the first St Casimir's, the one with the large dome. Did it burn down ?

Craig

Were speaking of two different churches. This IC was in Detroit not Hamtramck.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annunciation now known as Good shepherd due to parish consolidations.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry

Je wiem. Tsche proscium.

(St. John's is still hanging in there, though!)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry...I hate to keep giving you sites, but does this help?:

http://www.polishancestry.com/ churches/stcasimir.htm

Larry

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories

I was at both those sites, but only just now did I notice the mention of St Casimir having an exact twin in Chicago in St Mary of Perpetual Help in Chicago. Hopefully a former parishoner who remembers the domed church will turn up on this thread.

Larry

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories

I saw both those sites, but only just now did I notice the mention of St Casimir having a twin in Chicago in St Mary of Perpetual Help. Hopefully a former parishoner will turn up on the thread.

Swiburn

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Immaculate Conception address was: 3414 Trombly, west of Moran. It was definitely torn down in l981.
St. Casimir, built l874, was torn down and a new one put up in the early l960s, I believe. The address is 23rd St and Myrtle.

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Information about Annunciation Church in Detroit and Immaculate Conception Ukranian Rite Church in
Hamtramck is available from the sites shown below:

http://www.detroit1701.org/Ann unciation%20Church.html

http://www.detroit1701.org/Imm aculate%20Conception%20Ukraini an.html

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories, Thank you for the website. Our fledgling West Side Detroit Polish American Historical Society can use that to add to our information base. The WSDPAHS website is www.detroitpolonia.org.

Larry

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a photo of the original St Casimir's on the West Side http://freepages.genealogy.roo tsweb.com/~detroitchurches/pag e22.htm And here's St Mary of Perpetual Help in Chicago http://www.stmaryofperpetualhe lp.com/ If St Casimir's interior was anything like SMPP than it was quite an impressive church.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Larry, I wasn't in the first, I was in the second St. Casimir. That church is still there, although it is not a Catholic church anymore. The grade school was still in operation, but closed in 2005. The original church did not burn down, it was simply torn down in favor of a replacement.

Pictures to come when I get a little time.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some shots of St. David Church and school:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=456752768&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=456752774&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=456752778&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=456752816&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=456752828&size=l

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics Maxcarey. The school (old and new) resembles St. Mary of Redford Elementary and High School IMHO.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting pics Maxcarey. Was St. David your parish ? Brings back a lot of memories for the family since that was the parish from the 1950's-1980's. Pictures 2-4 was of the grade school. The first picture which is of the 2nd church was built after World War II. The last picture is the high school across the street from the church put up in the late 1950's. The parishioners were forced to contribute to the new high school whether they agreed with the idea or not. I believe my grandfather said it was $250 per family which in the 1950's was not exactly a small amount. As it turned out the new high school was a bad idea because of the short time it existed.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other thing about St. David. For a church that looked pretty decent on the exterior, interior wise it is perhaps the most underwhelming and plain looking Catholic church that was in Detroit. It does not compare at all to Nativity, Good Counsel, St. Matthew, St. Jude, St. Cyril, Queen of Heaven, etc.

Larry

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shots Maxcarey. Didn't St David's and Patronage of St Joseph both start off as predominantly Italian parishes ? Also, do either of Roman Godzak's books have photos of the interiors of Detroit's lost Catholic Churches ?

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patronage of St. Joseph was more Italian than St. David. St. David had many Italians, but by the 1960's it was mixed with Italians, Poles, and Germans, and miscellaneous like Irish and other Eastern European groups

Larry

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Whithorn. Now to the really sad question. Which closed or demolished parish was the greatest architectural loss ? My guess is either the original St Casimir or Sts Cyril and Methodius.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry,
Tough question to select one. St. Cyril was an anchor of that Harper-Van Dyke area for decades. Definately, a nice church both interior and exterior wise. I apologize for not knowing much about St. Casimir. IMHO I think the greatest losses are about to come in 5-15 years. I hope I am wrong, but where will the support for Assumption Grotto, Our Lady of Good Counsel, St. Joseph, Sweetest Heart of Mary, St. Jude, St. Matthews, St. Josaphat, Transfiguration, etc. come from ? When what remains of the World War II generation dies off these churches will be empty. Their is not an overwhelming number of baby boomers supporting these parishes already. Most of their kids are alien to these neighborhoods. Finally, these buildings are just becoming older and needing more maintenance. I'm hoping that this opinion is wrong and someone well correct my flawed thinking because these places are treasures.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3019
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There hasn't been a critical mass of Catholics left in Detroit, Dearborn, Southfield, and other inner suburbs for decades already. So expect many more Catholic parishes to disappear here and in the more distant burbs.

In that respect, this chain of events parallels that of the Jewish synagogues--where maybe only one is left in Detroit or maybe even the entire Wayne County.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote is they are all = ...can you imagine....growing up with GA and ST. Brendan's and now they are gone. This is wild they were second generation churches that were built to accommodate the initial growth of the WWII vets and the transition of second generation Detroiters..

St. Jude and St. Matthew were so powerful and big compared to the above...

Hard to believe ... The architecture in Detroit as a whole; churches, neighborhoods and buildings is mind blowing.

This is so hard and thank God for you folks on these posts who keep the memories alive.

Swiburn

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greatest architectural loss would probably be St. Albertus, (this parish is open only occasionally in a really rundown area)
Estimates to replicate the interior at today's prices would run to $20 million, according to Roman Godzak, former Archdiocese archivist.

And yes, there are a few interior shots of closed churches in his book, i.e. St. Monica, St. Rose of Lima and a few others.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody here from Mother of Consolation? Closed in the first purge in 1989.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all.

No, St. David was not my parish, but I was aware of it growing up.

Yes, Roman's book does have some interior shots, all black and white. Later on, I'll post a listing.

I shudder to think of the prospects of these struggling parishes. There are many that aren't mentioned, such as Queen of Peace, St. Peter, St. Veronica, St. Raymond, St. Louis, etc. that I fear for too. It is definately a period that is quickly passing by.

Speaking of St. Casimir, I included some shots of the elementary school and in the first one, you can see the second church in the background:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457087362&size=l

St. Casimir #2
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457087364&size=l

Back Entrance of St. Cas:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457087366&size=l

School Recruiting Sign:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457087368&size=o

A peek inside:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457087382&size=l

Larry

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know St Albertus was in that bad of shape. There website's photos make the church look like it's well kept up. I don't know what mass attendance at St Josaphat's is like, but they've been adding alot to there website since they began having Latin Masses.

There's an excellent book called The Kolasinski Affair And Polish Detroit by Lawrence Orton, that focuses on both St Albertus and Sweetest Heart Of Mary. I was able to get it at a local library down here.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was Baptized by the original pastor of Mother of Consolation, Fr. Carmine Coletta more years ago than I can count. The saddest day in the history of that parish was June 25, 1989 the day of the last mass conducted by Fr. Coletta, Augustinian. This was the greatest church I have ever encountered. It was the only church I knew that when the collection basket came around if you had it you put it in and if you needed it you took it out. Now, that's Christianity in action!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was baptized by Fr. Coletta as well.

My father was an alterboy there in the 40's.

Lived on Maine.

House demolished for "progress" (Davison FWY).

Still in contact with many of the families.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Which closed or demolished parish was the greatest architectural loss?"

My vote would be San Francesco, though I'm having a hard time finding photos of it. From what I've read and heard, it was very impressive. My family was in construction, and everybody raved about it. It was torn down to make way for I-94, which pretty much ruined our old neighborhood. I was baptized there in 1956, so I know it was there at that time.

I posted a photo of my family at a funeral on the East Side Detroit Catholic School History thread in which they're standing in front of the church.
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/92667.html?1176436851

Maxcarey

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was Mother of Consolation located?

Since Albertus was mentioned, here are a few pictures, with some story links, about the church and school.

Front of church:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457564632&size=l

Church Statue:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457564630&size=l

Parish House:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457564594&size=l

Front of School:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457564626&size=l

Face of school:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457564622&size=l

Back of school:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457564606&size=l

Swiburn

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Maxcarey. I don't know if St. Albertus is actually in bad shape, but the quality of materials used in the construction,such as gold leaf on the ceiling, would cost the $20 million today. The parishioners at this church and Sweetest Heart of Mary would take second mortgages on their houses to pay for this.
I went to a mass at St. Josaphat's recently, and it seemed to be doing a lot better than Sweetest Heart of Mary, which has a forbidding,fortress-like mentality about it, i.e. the church is enclosed by gates which are closed about 15 minutes after mass ends.

Larry

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a photo of San Francesco from the 1910 book http://freepages.genealogy.roo tsweb.com/~detroitchurches/pag e37b.htm

I've always wanted to do a major photo shoot of Catholic churches in Detroit on the inside, but after seeing how many churches were locked at 3 pm this last Good Friday (you heard right) in Chicago, I'd probably be lucky to get inside 1 or 2.

Swiburn

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey,
In answer to your question: Mother of Consolation Church was located at l3509 Mackay St, just north of the Davison Freeway East.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn - Thanks, I missed that one.

Larry, I have a similar motivation, but I am having to settle for the exterior shots of the churches and schools.

As for the inside shots in Roman's book, here is what was available:

Holy Cross
St. Gabriel
St. Matthew
Sweetest Heart of Mary
St. Hugo
St. Joseph (Lake Orion)
St. Margaret of Scotland
Immaculate Conception (Detroit)
St. Agnes
St. Albertus
St. Bernadette
St. Brigid
St. Catherine
St. Rose of Lima
St. Vincent De Paul
St. Wenceslaus (dismantling)

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The St. Bernadette that is referred to in the above,
is that the one that was near Dix on the Dearborn/Detroit border? I can't remember offhand the name of the side street that the address was on...it'll come to me eventually. A small church that I think the address was actually in Dearborn. I'm also thinking that it was Maltese? Does anybody know what became of that church? I saw on the archdiocese web page that it said St. Bernadette's closed in 1998. My high school principal was also pastor of the St. Bernadette's near Dix.