Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Foggy Day Downtown Photo Update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4650
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Occasionally I get invited to play handball at the DAC, so stepping out from one steam room into another we see Harmonie Park from atop the DAC Parking Lot.

Harmonie Park Detroit

Play Ball! If you ever wondered what the view from the DAC is like well...

Detroit Tiger Baseball park from DAC

Now let's check out progress on the Rosa Parks Transit Center. The troubled Book Tower ascends into the mist in the background.

Rosa Parks Transit Center Detroit

The Queen is Back! Around the corner, the mighty Cadillac Hotel rises from its grave.

Cadillac Hotel Detroit

Next door, the Griswold Parking Structure rises across from the majestic Stott Building.

Griswold Parking Stott Building Detroit

And nearby the Book Cadillac's old rival, the Fort Shelby Hotel, progresses on its path to recovery.

Fort Shelby Hotel Detroit

Fort Shelby Hotel Detroit

YAY Detroit!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I was down at Campus Martius last night taking advantage of the free wifi on a lazy night downtown, I could only count 21 floors on the Penobscot Building before it disappeared into the clouds. It was really eerie, but cool!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What great pics, Lowell! I was able to just make out the top of my old studio building, the Merchants Apparel building,just next to the white building in Harmonie Park. I spent 10 wonderful years making art on the 5th floor, and truly loved being a resident of the Park!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those were GREAT!!

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Ilovedetroit2
Username: Ilovedetroit2

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are some awesome pics thanks for passing them on

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shots Lowell. I have some from the same foggy day, but can't locate them at the moment. If you don't mind a thread-jacking, here are some of the snow that fell on Friday night/Saturday morning. Here is one, for now:

snow pic

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2892
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now let's check out progress on the Rosa Parks Transit Center."

Oh, Lord, is that an ugly structure. (Oh, oh...there I go criticizing again...will I ever learn?)

Nice photos, Lowell. Thx.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is the Comerica Park photo. I doubt I'll ever see the view from the DAC in person.

Thanks Lowell!

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell and other photo bugs,

You have no idea how great it is to see pics of downtown, especially when you are a transplanted Detroiter like myself. Sure, I could tell you about the great weather in Florida where I live, seeing the Tigers in a spring training game the other day, but none of it takes the place of the random glimpses of downtown that get posted every once in a while.

To you and all of the other photo bugs who post regularly, thank you! It is greatly appreciated.

Go Tigers!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: