Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Damn you WDET » Archive through March 23, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070322/ENT 03/70322041

"WDET adds more news and info; overnight music gone"

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 845
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorta like WWJ without the commercials.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more Liz.

RIP 'DET.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow. This is very sad.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R.I.P.

At least there's the river 93.9. for jazz 90.9 FM

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET? Never heard of it...NEXT!

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, why did WDET go downhill from the enjoyable days of the 80's when just about every show was great? Even Dave Dixon had interesting stuff.
Jim Gallert, Rudy Tusich (sp) Zola....

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3741
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well here is a glimmer of hope,

"Perhaps the biggest addition is a new public affairs program called “Detroit Today” that will air weekdays from 10 a.m. to noon with best-of shows Saturday from 7-8 a.m. and Sunday from 10-11 a.m. The station is looking for a new full-time host for that show; Piotrowski said Matt Watroba then Quinn Klinefelter will likely work the first two weeks."

I have heard so many obituaries of WDET over the decades. This is another one. WUOM is running in this manner and the formula is working. WDET management must be thinking the same.

So what is the mission of a public radio station? Is it to create shows with local talent? Be a free space where locally produced shows can be launched? Should it ignore ratings? How public is it when it has a huge donor base that it must cater two twice a year? Is the donor base the true constituency to be pleased?

Things I wonder about...

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the silky smooth, velvet tongued, Amy Miller,news and traffic reader will survive this latest round of changes?

(Message edited by homer on March 22, 2007)

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, here is RIP to any new, progressive music in Detroit. There is always WKRK and Tom Leikes. He's progressive (LOL).

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 22, 2007)

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Ed Love and more pretentious news magazine style shows? Boo.. Hopefully they have a plan to make 90.9 into the all music station. (I grew up in the 90.9 studios, I hope they do something positive with those airwaves)

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past three years, I have listened to 101.9 less and less. However, this is not only due to their decreased music programming, but also to the rise of internet radio. As far as new, progressive radio goes, the days of the radio might be ending. Perhaps local news and commentary is the new niche to be filled?

-spiff

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Love is still on. His shift will be cut back to 9pm - Midnight.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT?

I am so pissed.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about investing in satellite radio. On Sirius I get NPR, leftwing talknut, rightwing talknut, blue grass, jazz, and Martha Stewart giving advice on doilies.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told them I would not donate money next year if they didn't increase news shows. Believe it or not these news and commentary shows are extremely popular and have huge followings. The most downloaded podcasts in the world are almost all NPR news and commentary programs. People who work later like myself do not want to listen to jazz on the ride home. It's a good idea to move ed love to the later time. They are responding to the market.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH! There are other stations to listen to Music darn it! Why do people on this site only isolate themselves to certain stations?

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Asked about how much the station’s sagging finances —fund-raising has been difficult since the station moved from heavy music programming in late 2005 —had to do with the changes, Mazurek said it was more a case of pursuing the “goal to make WDET the public affairs and information voice for the Detroit area” that drove the switching."

I guess that explains the popularity and "response to the market."

Mbr

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think fund-raising has been difficult all along. This change helps the continuity of the station. Going from straight news to 4 hours of jazz gave me a good reason to change the dial. The argument that radio needs to provide a forum for local artists no longer has any value in the age of myspace, mp3's, and internet radio. I fully support this change.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr, go find another station to ruin. Since you can download the shows, why do you need them on the ride home? As a long time listener, I feel cheated.

(Message edited by soulhawk on March 22, 2007)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4863
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well mbr, in this day and age of myspace, mp3's and internet radio, where does one hear things that are new and innovative? What WDET was when it was a music station was a place where the DJs were paid for their knowledge and their ability to inform us of new music. These fine people were paid in essence for their in depth musical knowledge. Where else could you hear Cowboy Junkies followed up with Coltrane followed by Art of Noise? It might sound like an odd mix, but somehow through the talents of these people- they made it work and introduced many an audience member to something they might have never have heard before. So much of my musical joys were first heard on WDET. Ask how many of the once loyal WDET musical fan base had their musical collections built because of a song they heard on the station. I'm willing to bet that I wasn't the only one who was influenced in such a way.

Was WDET perfect? Did Judy Adams play maybe a few too many Jimi Hendrix songs? Was Martin Bandyke too in love with Los Lobos? Maybe but they were human too- they had songs & genres they liked as well. But more importantly they weren't afraid to breach new genres for us to hear. We don't always agree with everything they play but WDET was a bastion where we could hear something that we could never hear on commercial radio. Free radio still has its niche. We can hear it in our cars, our workplaces and take it along with us whereas internet radio can't tag along. MP3s are limited by our own knowledge.

'Tis a sad day for Detroit radio... not just WDET.

Mbr

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulhawk: I can't download the shows and play them in my car. I need them on the ride home because it is the perfect opportunity to catch up on news and information.

Smogboy: If you are interested in hearing things that are new and innovative it is about 100 times more efficient to browse the internet than to wait and stumble upon something cool on the radio.

I agree that the personalities add value and their expertise and insight is something that is likely lost. However, I never recall putting much stock in a DJ's opinions anyway and always tried to find what I like through other means.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr: The station you're looking for has been around for years. It's called WUOM. Why can't there be two public radio stations in this town that fill separate niches, rather than two stations that are virtual clones of one another?

Mbr

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. WUOM doesn't focus on Detroit news.
2. I get terrible reception on WUOM in Detroit, especially in downtown and midtown.

WUOM is great if you are in Ann Arbor.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From your earlier posts I had assumed that you had a relatively long commute, and since WUOM comes in pretty clear in most of Detroit and the metro, I didn't think the dead spot in downtown/midtown would be much of an issue for you. And if you were willing to tell WDET to scrap its entire format and completely change what it is about, what is so difficult about petitioning WUOM to add some Detroit-related news programming?

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Smogboy!

Mbr, the internet is all fine and good, but I could listen to Liz Copland in my car. I could read and listen, I would do allot of things with it in the back ground. She played an eclectic blend of music with a Detroit flavor.

I really enjoyed her program, and I can say I will not be listening to WDET as much. Many nights I sit and read this forum, and listened to her show. I will actually use the net, but often her show pointed me in a new direction, which I would then use the internet to explore.

I second the title of this thread "Damn you WDET."

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear...

WUOM has repeater signals in Grand Rapids and Flint, to go with their primary Ann Arbor signal.

They can't focus too much on Southeast Michigan, without alienating the audience in their other markets.

Therefore, they are mostly forced to stick to issues with more statewide interest.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4868
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr... my point is about the trust placed upon the DJs themselves. From my perception of what a good DJ does is them listening to all sorts of music and then coming up with a great blend and variety. They will also do the research on who or what the music is about and then play it for us to listen to. I'm sure I could scour the internet to find innovative music, but isn't it also a lot easier having a trusted and informed person serve it to you. WDET had always prided themselves upon their DJs' knowledge but for whatever reason, they've shucked that resource and have become one with the wallpaper.

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't say I didn't see this coming, with the search for a new programming manager and all.

Oh well, I guess I'll be turning to podcasts for my newsradio fix.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4870
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Soulsauce, I was hoping the new programming director would've been more of a visionary and added more music programming. A little selfish on my part? Sure, but again I also owe WDET and its talented staff a huge debt of thanks for introducing me to so many interesting genres of music- not all of which I loved but the some that I did adore, I purchased.

For the exposure alone, WDET and its music programming in Detroit was stellar. It will be missed.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job WDET - I know I won't be supporting you anymore. Please stop sending me mail begging for my money. I already decided to send my contribution to WRCJ during the last pledge drive. I enjoy the classical and jazz, but I wish there was still a public station with broader musical selections as well.

Don't bother with satellite radio. My new GM vehicle came with the three month trial. It was fun to play with for a while, but now that the trial has expired I have no intentions of paying the $13/mo for the service.

The audio quality is horrible. My understanding is that each channel is allotted a maximum of 64 kbit/sec - using some derivative of MPEG-4 compression. While not directly relatable to MPEG-3 (MP3) compression, think of how poorly a 64 kbps MP3 sounds. They advertise it as "digital quality" - but that's a marketing term more than anything. Digital compression can often produce a signal worse than the analog original. Anyone with digital cable knows what I'm talking about.

Also, as a fan of electronic music, the selection was horrible. I have instead resorted to just burning DJ mixes from internet radio stations onto CDs as MP3 discs.

I'm also on a "support Detroit" kick. I'd rather total up that $13/mo and contribute $156 to a local public station to support our local economy.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's obvious that the Mgmt believes the only local material worth broadcasting is news/info.
There is so much music available on the 'net and other e-sources. Having a clunky old radio station include "music" as a major programming component just don't make sense...apparently.
The one thing amazes me is the lack of focus on Det music. Kim Heron featured local music, Ed does the same, but why not have this as a large part of programming? This would be a distinguishing factor for 'DET - it's the music, stupid. And Det has knowledgeable hosts for this type of programming.

Craggy

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks...

the future of music on "free" radio is HD. Instead of getting XM/Serius on your car radio...start bugging the automakers to put HD receivers in vehicles. You can also buy a device that allows you to get HD signals without taking out your existing car stereo setup.

Getting new HD stations up and running is the best option in this day and age.

It really is quite similar to when FM was introduced.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8713
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lemme agree with you whole-heartedly, Wazootyman, you have given me faith that some can still remember what good reproduced music is supposed to sound like, minus the horrible GAPS in the flow as compression increases.

I've got a digit for digital, used to use it during rush hour...but it is so much better in this application. I will NOT wave it at my hometown Public Radio station just yet.

I am horrified with this new morphing of the station...but am willing to see what they do with the new shows. Hope they didn't burn bridges with those they canned.

Lady Liz does NOT deserve to be unemployed, I'm not sure what her future is...but it should be with the station still. She is another radio treasure, and I'm NOT saying it because I helped wire her training room at UofM-Dearborn's in-house radio station!

They announced this well before the pledge drive this time...by delaying the drive three weeks. Please take your complaints there, pledge CONDITIONALLY.

Tell them they have your support IF and WHEN they put their focus back on entertainment in the city...if that is your desire and interest.

Tell them they have your support when you agree...but do not just go away or bitch here. There is NO way management can make logical decisions when the data vanishes.

I will tell them that they need to create a pledge form for these conditional pledges...so they can KNOW without shadow or doubt how many people are upset with this move.

IF they do this, and keep that occasionally brilliant but usually shitty and inflammatory BBC call-in program (damn Brits are too proper to hit the MUTE button on those who deserve it)...they stand to lose me, too...and I'm one of the die-hards.

They have pledges that have not been fulfilled from the last time, but some may be due to economic stresses from their faithful listeners. Make sure to let them know that you ARE willing to pay them for a service you believe in...don't just jump ship and go to outerspace...then YOU will be part of the problem.

You will have taken yourself out of the Public of Public Radio. Sounds trite, but it is true.

Even moreso, every music venue in the city that knows they need some help promoting local talent through the airwaves needs also to pledge CONDITIONALLY, that they will also put some money into the ONLY station willing and able to put locals on the air.

So...we now have a competition, the newsies versus the cultured, although I know it is a false divide because I'm in both camps...but I will not stand for them shutting down half of my needs.

I really think the potential for BETTER music shows is there...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8714
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy,

I am sorry, but I cannot support your stance on this...HD radio receivers for the home are rare.

It is a ploy to get all music under the digital content copyright act...which affect big corporation's profits ONLY. I cannot care any less about them, they've been a hindrance to real creativity for thirty years...all the best talent had to find their own way to get published, in most cases. (sorry Dabirch, I'm sure you'll have some illumination on this for me, I'm ready to learn where big labels do good)

We should NOT allow this push to get music only on commercial stations, or through HD radio where they can control who makes recordings for personal analysis...before buying a hard copy for one's archives. Most people don't record anyways, so this is probably moot, but I'll be damned if I'll go out and buy yet another piece of equipment for every place I listen to music...that is just a bad proposition, sorry.

Answer for them is to make the hard copies MORE interesting and tangible...remember how much we'd study album covers and cherish those wonderful vinyl albums?! This still happens through the visionary small firms, which are even still operating in our city.

You know as well as I that the transmitter and other associated equipment at WDET has some of the best analog sound available.

We cannot let this venue for promoting local music vanish. It is crucial to the growth of our Austin-north development of Detroit into a mecca for live music...and the investment in those live studios should NOT be discarded.

We need to make sure they mothball the music library and that killer equipment, not sell it at yardsale pricing because they don't know the true value.

Hell, I could see those studios being rented out for music talent breaking out of their basements and garages...making demos they can take around to the bars with stages...no way they shouldn't be turning an income when they aren't being used on-air.

Yeah, it'll increase traffic through the hallways, but there are ways to keep that from affecting the on-air action. We handle it each pledge drive...with the newbie volunteers all learning the rules.

Cheers, we're finally getting some springtime up here, and I need to go for a run! Talk later.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sick of the talk?

90.9... its all about the music.

Call and pledge your support today!

Craggy

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, no offense, but you are wrong about HD radio. There is no conspiracy, just evolving technology. Trust me, the Satellite people are VERY scared about this catching on with the public.

My station in Charlotte runs a second HD channel, and it plays music all day, with no commercials. So, if you have an HD receiver (yes, they are rare, but prices are coming down) you get not only our regular all news public radio station, you get WFAE2, an all music service playing just about anything. We will likely start up WFAE3 this year, which will allow us to carry even more diverse programming.

There is no way we'd be able to play any music at all if we had only the analog signal.

www.wfae.org

Click on the WFAE2 button.

HD radio is simply a way for existing stations to have two and even three different signals going simultaneously.

Using your example, then FM was nothing more than a ploy to get people to buy new equipment.

Trust me, HD radio is a cool thing. http://www.hdradio.com/what_is_hd_digital_radio.php?PHPSESSID=0a9a9130bf6639f7cfdf264fd3a7fbcd

(Message edited by craggy on March 23, 2007)

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our city and country in general are lacking informed and thoughtful news and information. With the internet, satellite radio, etc. their are plenty of outlets for music and entertainment(including local music). Let's get more informed.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bring in the locally focused show(s) for sure, but it doesn't have to be at the expense of the rest of the programming. how anyone can listen to talk radio all day is beyond me, i already don't like half the shows on there, the BBC's show being at the top of the list.

I will also be voting with my (lack of) contribution

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 23, 2007)