Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Dream Cruise - It's almost heeeeere!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love it or hate it - it's almost that time of year again!

What do you love/hate about the Cruise?

~Liza

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live right up the street from Woodward. I hate the congestion and maneuvering around it although it doesn't seem as bad as it used to be.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5373
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was once a two day affair has turned into one loud & smelly traffic jam packed week for those of us that use the Woodward corridor. I'm not so sure I can even love it anymore. But then I really don't hate the event either. It's a major inconvenience that I tolerate because in the big picture, I'd like to think that it does some good for the people that attend. They seem to enjoy themselves and as long as no one gets hurt (knock on wood), I can bear it for another year.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 602
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT!!!
For 5 years I have been a prisoner in my own city during this mess.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette, I'm sorry that the Dream Cruise is horrible for you. I've only been once in 2003 and had such a great time. I have fun pictures and wonderful memories of that day on Woodward.
That was the Great Black-Out week and it rained,then was steamy, but there were so many people out, I was glad to see so many people smiling and having fun.

( before you say it, I will say it for you:
"Kath, you were partying for a few hours, I have to live with it and don't want to have noisy, rude people hanging on my street for a week!") I know, I know......I would probably be the same way.:-)

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 605
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL :-)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the inconvenience is worth it, although I can see how it might be annoying for someone who isn't really interested in the cars and is just trying to live their life around it. If I actually need to get somewhere on that day there are plenty of alternate routes.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it, but I haven't particiated in a few years..actually, the last one I went to was the "unplugged" one after the great power outtage in 2003.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is how is this going to happen when Woodward is being completely redone in Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham? There is no way that the construction will be done by then and it is a nightmare as it is... this will be a fun dream cruise.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5374
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really is the IDEAL time for those of us who live in the area or who are so inconvenienced to get the heck outta town. Let the tourists come and gawk if they want.

Realistically though. I'm sure that the folks in Daytona during Spring Break or the Sturgis residents during Harley Week have it MUCH worse than we do.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dream Cruise isn't so bad.

What I hate is the week before and every Friday and Saturday in the Summer when everybody is out sitting in front of their cars up and down Woodward.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cruise Y'all = Redneck Woodstock

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live for it. Its the most fun I have all year. If you didn't know someone could love that event so much, you havent met me. Watching old cars makes me happy. Looking at old cars makes me happy. The variety of the cars and amount of rare cars is something we're very fortunate to have.
A visitor from out of town came 2 years ago and told my dad how he was impressed that so many people showed up and none of them caused trouble and all got along so well. So he brought his classic car the next year.
Im going to make people mad, but people who don't like the cruise bum me out. Im bummed that they cant see the excitement.Its such a positive thing in how it brings people together, and brings in tourism. I don't understand the fascination with sports,AT ALL, but i let you have your Superbowl, playoffs, golf tournaments etc. So let me have my car event.
And if you go, look for the blue AMC gremlin with a white stripe and cactus on the antenna.And wave in support because you know the HPGrmln will be like a kid at Christmas out there.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

celebration of gluttony, waste and pollution! Driving in circles while gas is 3.50 sounds plain stupid

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 654
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went the first year and the next 5-6 years after that, I have had enough of it. The first year was awesome, you could stand in the median, throw bleach, it was no where near as crowded as it is now. You could actually SEE the classic cars.

Now its a total mess, too many people, too many non classic cars on the street. I feel for the people who live in the area.

It was fun in the beginning, but like everything else, got ruined with too many rules, people, non classics etc.....

I miss the early years of it, but I dont miss what it has turned into.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply put:

Dream Cruise = Nightmare for Commuters

Fuck all of you people, who have all of that time and money to waste, causing working people to try and find alternate, alternate routes, in road construction season. At $3.19/gallon.

Take your shit-ass cruise to some desolate country road. Try M-53 (Van-Dyke) towards the thumb.

If I had a paintball gun and a lawn chair...

James

James

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 575
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think, like it or not, the Dream Cruise is here for the duration. That being said, if we are going to live with this huge festival, some better regulations and management is needed. All cars that are not classics should be barred from Woodward for ONE day. Visible permits could be obtained for free by people who have no other route to home/work. Classic cars are not made to sit in gridlock in the hot sun for hours on end, and easily overheat. This would keep a lot of traffic out of the surrounding area since people in 97 Buicks won't be lining up to try to get onto woodward and cruise with the Classics. More parking areas and shuttles might help as well.

One fundamental flaw in my plan though, is that there is no stopping people from cruising the rest of the week, which they are bound to keep doing.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Shit, Jrvass, why don't you REALLY tell us how you feel. I know a good counselor who can help you deal with your anger issues...LOL

I have gone during the week, but not on Saturday night. I have a nice '84 Chevy Cavalier Convertible that was my Father in law's car. When he had to go into assisted living, he wanted me to have it, so my brother and I took a trip to North Carolina to get it. We had a great time bringing it to Michigan, and I've had a lot of fun driving it and taking my grand children in it. My three year old grand daughter loves riding in the 'vertible as she calls it. Yes, it's cost me a few bucks to get some things done on it, but it's a fun thing to have in the summer, and with a 2 liter engine, it's easy on gas.

I read here where people are upset about traffic being disrupted. Let me tell you about what my brother's brother in law goes through in Charlotte when the Lowe's Motor Speedway is in operation. He lives in Charlotte, just a stones throw away from Lowe's Motor Speedway. His next door neighbor is Kurt Busch. On the weekends that Nascar racing is being held at Lowe's, they don't attempt to go anywhere. He told us that they carefully make sure they've got enough food and essentials to make the weekend. I think Lowe's holds a couple of major Nascar events there every year. This year Lowe's is hosting three events. The Dream Cruise technically is one weekend. In Charlotte, they were tied up for two weeks straight with the NASCAR Nextel All-Star Challenge on May 19th, and then on Memorial Day weekend, the Coca Cola 600.

The Dream Cruise is a nice nostalgic event for those of us who would sure like to regain our youth. Then, we didn't have a lot of money, now that we're older, some of us have got a bit of cash to throw away. Who give a flying, rolling donut if we spend a few extra bucks on some gas to check out some great looking rods. It will be my vacation, as I can afford a day's worth of gas to cruise Woodward, but not over $300 bucks worth to go to Virginia to see my wife's brother.

Jrvass, go early to the store, rent some DVD's and relax and let the Cruise happen. I'm sure no one will bother you. After all, you probably hear more noise pollution when a kid drives down the street with that bumpty bump crap coming outta his car.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Dream Cruise.
Makes for good photos.
http://www.360michigan.net/dre amcruise06.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Chitaku.

It's really not much of a cruise either. Usually when all that crap is going on my dad takes out his classic car and enjoys a real cruise on Jefferson and Lakeshore Dr.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have zero interest in cars (classic or otherwise) but it seems like a lot of people enjoy the event, so that's wonderful. That weekend was an inconvenience when I lived just off of Woodward, but I could work around it for a weekend (just get out of town, or get my shit done before the cruise).

What I hated, HATED, though, was the week before the cruise when traffic would be backed up on Woodward for days. That was stupid. I think if they kept the cruise to just one weekend, a lot of the people who hate it would be more tolerant. It's the fact that it stretches for days that makes me mad.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11597
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cruise Y'all = Redneck Woodstock

Funny, considering many of the cars at the cruise these days are worth $50,000 and up. Rednecks must be making damn good money these days.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally had the opportunity to attend just last year. Never before have I seen so many smiling faces in one event. My father in law taught me how to shift a Model-T. I wouldn't have missed that for the world.

Sounds like some folks feel we have something happening that has become too successful in our otherwise woebegone corner of Michigan. That's encouraging to hear!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for this year's Dream Cruise. I will be in France. Breathe the exhaust, Lurleen and Bubba!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 662
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot Cruise is next Saturday.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good idea that has gone out of control. It is way too commercialized and the poor people who live in those neighborhoods must feel under siege.
I work in Royal Oak on that weekend and I can hardly wait to get out of town. You can hardly cross Woodward (waiting for four or five lights because idiots are stopped in the intersection can really give you an attitude).
I have to go up to I75 and get on 696 to get out of downtown in a timely fashion.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that "non-classic" cars should be banned from the cruise for at least one day. However, who is to judge what is "classic?" Is it everything that's 26 model years old or older? That's the age when a car is eligible for a Michigan vehicle registration.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5379
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And even beyond designating what is considered a "classic", I've also seen project cars out on Woodward. Sure it's technically a 1947 tricked out Ford Coupe but it's also unpainted, the majority of the parts aren't even on there and it's more modified than what the original car looked like. Are new buit hot rods considered "classic"? While I completely understand the annoyance of seeing the 2004 Dodge Caravan in the midst of cool looking cars, I would not want to be the arbitor of what's deemed "classic". One person's heap is another person's classic.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be pleased if all newer cars that are leased, or are still having payments made would refrain from Woodward for Saturday. That alone would free up the road for the older cars, which need to keep moving 20+ mph to keep from overheating. SUV's and minivans too.
We have this argument every year, the usual insults fly (i.e. redneck, hillbilly, etc.)
Yes, it is the public highway. So is the area around Comerica park and Ford field. I don't really care about baseball or football, and there are hours of every year I can't get anywhere around there due to game load in/out.
I don't begrudge those who enjoy those sports, and it's their money for tickets/food, to be spent as they enjoy as free Americans.
I'd rather put gas in my old car and drive around.

(Message edited by 56packman on June 09, 2007)

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the guy wanting to bring his paintball gun, can i join you? I've been trying to think of a way for the soccer moms in their Chevy Ventures to get out of the cruise lane while waving to everyone. And Im really angry at the construction companies,etc. that bring their tall vans and trucks out solely to advertise, blocking the view of the classics next to them.Im going to take notes on them this year and make a list of cruise infiltrators and boycott them.
Get your mom-bombs and advertisements out of the cruise, no excuses. The rest of you enjoy the history of automotive trends and designs.And if that isn't your thing, go home, watch golf, and be silencia.
Ah, glad I got that off my chest!

Mauser765

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Funny, considering many of the cars at the cruise these days are worth $50,000 and up. Rednecks must be making damn good money these days."

Its primarily a spectator sport - um...sorry bout the pun.

The cheap rednecks can RENT a frickin classic car to drive - hahahaha !

Just pokin fun. Let the babies have their bottle.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5385
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah... there's also that guy who has his anti-abortion agenda vehicle cruising up and down Woodward too.

Talk about taking advantage of the public forum here. And whether you're for or against abortion, I'm seriously doubt if this is truly the right place to espouse a view on that topic. The Cruise is about cars, cars, and more cars.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Smog is right - I saw the same strange seemingly out of context protests at the Memorial Day parades I shot for work - what does abortion have to do with honoring war dead ?

Nuthin.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thinks all the cruises in Metro Detroit are LAME!!!! "Cruising" was something kids did on weekend nights to hang out and fill time when they nothing else to do. I did some myself on Telegraph in the early 70's. We would cruise along trying to pick up girls (it never worked ) and listen to the radio.We'ed sometimes see some hot cars drag race ( the old 30 mile an hour roll) Now the cruises are filled with mostly fat bald old geezers and their ugly wives trying to relive their youth-it's pathetic. It may be good for some businesses in the area but I don't bother with them.
I live in Lincoln Park just a stone's throw from the Downriver Cruise-to me it's nothing but if other folks want to do it well, it's a free country.The extra traffic is no big deal for me but I'll bet on Woodward it's huge

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where else can you see the world's largest collection of fat old white guys wearing Hawaiian shirts and Panama hats?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornist9:

You missed my point, but perhaps have caught it from some of the more eloquent posters after us. I tend to be blunt.

I once got a ticket for impeding traffic in Wayne county on Hines Drive, when it was closed for flooding and I didn't know that. What traffic did I impede on a closed road?

If you are impeding traffic, and I am getting 1 mile to the gallon because I have to drive 1 mile on Woodward (or the "Loop", from M-59 to Oakland Ave. (or Cesar Chavez, whatever) in that damn mess, I blame you.

Sorry. Maybe you don't have to work for a living. People who live next to a speedway should expect "events". Next to an airport... "jet noise". A lake... jet-skis. Fine and Dandy.

But to choke off a major downtown road (M-1), while the Lodge (M-10) is closed... is insane. and it is not just the official 2.5 days of the cruise, but a whole week.

Why can't the "Dream Cruisers" annoy another part of the state as they try to find their useless youth?

James

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln! Nice to have a fellow AMCer on board. Will you be attending Greenmeade that weekend? Keep an eye out for my '68 Ambassador DPL.

Corktown_paddy
Username: Corktown_paddy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a week long event now because anyone who owns a classic cars CAN'T cruise on Cruise day.
(A classic car is any vehicle 25 years or older so I'm told)
Thanks to the open door minivans,the PT Cruiser clubs,the 2007 Corvette Clubs,The Plymouth Prowler Club, and all the other general junk that DOES clog the snot out of Woodward on that day.

Another thing I don't quite get, if people know there's for sure 20 inches of snow coming with a days notice,they get ready for it. If there's a severe thunderstorm coming with an hour's notice, they get ready for it.
So explain why, when the Cruise date is announced a YEAR ahead of time then people grumble bitch and gripe about it how bad it is and how inconvenienced they are when it does get here??
Is there an intelligence factor here that is not being discussed?

Anyway,That classic iron was 100% Detroit at one time,the car companies put a LOT of autoworkers kids through college and saved the USA's ass in WWII. But I gotta watch this as I could easily be going off subject.
What's wrong with a bit of nostalgic personal pride on four wheels for a few days out of 365?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4550
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Saturday (today) is the Gratiot Cruise, which thanks to the intransigent Roseville city government, is just a fraction of the Woodward Cruise. Actually that is a blessing, since it pretty much is only in Eastpointe (8-10 Mile), although points northward (Clinton Township (14 Mile) and beyond also have something of a cruise. It's just 10-14 Mile that there's nothing going on (but still full of traffic).

The Gratiot Cruise doesn't have all the congestion and gridlock of the Woodward Cruise, and yet still has a lot of classic cars.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motor Muster at Greenfield Village today and tomorrow. Cars from the 30's to 70's. Over 500 cars.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a love-hate relationship.

I really do like the events, the cars, the people. We have people over almost every year.

However, it would be much better if it was limited to three or four days. Every year, the unofficial cruise seems to start earlier and earlier in August.

A 10 years ago, there would be a handful of people lining Woodward the Monday before the cruise. This year, the crowds will be three deep (in certain areas) on the Monday prior.

The other annoying thing--people doing burnouts and jackrabbit starts until two in the morning for 10 days straight. It's tough when you have young kids (or myself!) trying to get a little uninterrupted sleep.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with RO. I live in PR and the half wits burning the rubber on the side streets gets old in a hurry. One wonders if these folks would welcome The Cruise in their trailer parks.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they wont allow it in their "trailer parks".
Have you BEEN to a trailer park lately?
MANY of them have speed bumps, preventing you from going over 10 MPH. All they can have are bicycle cruises!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One wonders if these folks would welcome The Cruise in their trailer parks"

Again, with the generalizations and typecasting.
This would not be tolerated in tone and substance on this forum if it were directed towards owners of, Oh--lets just say Escalades with all gold trim and 22" Toyos and rims.
The people doing burnouts at 2 AM are out of line--hell, doing burnouts on the public highway is out of line, and is not tolerated by the police during the cruise proper.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from the Motor Muster at Greenfield Village. It was a great day. I was careful of the speed bumps on the way back to my trailer.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put on my Panama hat, a Hawaiian shirt and took my grand children and drove my 23 year old Cavalier convertible out to Gratiot this afternoon for the Gratiot Cruise. By the way, since my bariatric surgery, I'm no longer fat and will actually wear shorts and a Hawaiian shirt! The cruise was ok, but I was told I could not drive in the inside lane because I didn't spend twenty bucks for a window sticker...what a crock of shit...Am going to attend the Woodward Cruise for only the second time this August...

Smogboy

Post Number: 5445
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there actually people that live within stumbling distance of Woodward Avenue that actually enjoy the Woodward Dream Cruise or are all of the supporters here from parts far from Woodward?

Just idly curious.

I wish there was a way to take a poll here or get some demographics of the people who've responded here.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abdsolutely, Smogboy!! We live a block and a half west of Woodward in the 13 Mile & Woodward area and love the Dream Cruise. Many of the people in our two block stretch enjoy the Cruise and throw parties that day. We invite friends and family to drop on over and spend the day with us or out on their own on Woodward Ave.

It's an event that I look forward to all year, and enjoy immensely all week long!!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's loud smelly intrusive. I live two long blocks off Woodward, plus I live on a street used as a shortcut from town to the Cruise. It's dreadful. It lasts for over a week. I'm happy to be gone this year, I'll be somewhere civilized, knowing that someone is pissing on my wall, and screaming whooo hooo hoooooo as they drive by my house.

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't like cars, please leave Detroit.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like cars. I don't like thousands of smelly, loud, drunken louts driving up and down Woodward Avenue for several weeks in the summer.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjo - lots of people taking your advice.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjo, maybe they should move it to your neighborhood? Last time I checked, the "Cruise" isn't routed through Detroit.

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand everyone's NIMBY attitude, but it's only one week out of the year, and it brings in a good deal of money for many some merchants and some loss of business for others. If the Dream Cruise is the worst thing you have to worry about, then you should count your blessings that you are more fortunate than the vast majority of people on this planet.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One week. I wish.

Ask some of the merchants on Woodward or in Ferndale or in R.O. then check back here, ok?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went for a drive up Woodward last Saturday evening around 7:00 and there were ALREADY people parking their old cars at whatever vacant parking lot they found and getting out the lawn chairs. THAT is ridiculous! Get a life, people!

I live about a mile east of Woodward in northern R.O. and I've been hearing the squealing tires at night on occasion since about Memorial Day. What a bunch of morons.

I'll be avoiding the cruise this year just as I have since it started.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5453
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a fair amount of Woodward Avenue merchants who have free parking in front of the establishments get overrun with gawkers long before the Cruise even starts. These people don't necessarily shop in their stores, take up parking spaces, and when the police are called to move them along- they just slide down a little bit more. The cops really can't enforce parking rules there much as long as the people move a little bit every so often.

Now if you were a merchant selling beer, pop, or munchies then you might do okay, but for retail I can't think of a worse time to do business. I've also heard numerous merchants literally shutting down their stores to prevent the people from just coming into their stores to use the bathrooms.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also hate the noise of the helicopters circling from about 7am till into the night.

I wonder what the marquee on the Magic Bag will read this year?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5454
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I actually miss were the first few Dream Cruises where people, other than corporate Woodward Dream Cruise folks, could sell stuff. I remember seeing kids with cases of pop obviously bought from Sam's Club or wherever selling pop along the road. I remember seeing anyone who had a cool designed t-shirt hawking their wares on Woodward; it was truly a grass roots fun time. If you had something that people wanted to buy, whether it be a t-shirt, ball cap, car part, or even munchies- you could sell it. It was truly a free market and it benefitted the merchants that day to keep their doors open to sell stuff.

Since the corporate greed mongers took over, no one is allowed to sell anything that is even remotely close to saying Woodward Avenue or Dream Cruise on it.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is one event i, as a near woodward city dweller are more than happy to have stay in the suburbs. I love cars, and i have attended the event a few times and had a decent time, but i sure as hell wouldn't want to live anywhere near it and feel for those who do.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dream Cruise Fu#$@*&% ROCKS! It's like a human circus. I can't wait to start peeing on walls.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget to go whooooooohooooohooooooooooooo while you're doing it.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gridlock.
Helicopters at 5 a.m.
People parking across your driveway approach.
Drunks.
Drunk neighbors having a loud party at 2 a.m.
Fumes.
Noise.
Drunks throwing beer cans on your lawn.
Vandalism.
We lived a half a block off Woodward.
Moved in 2000.
Haven't been back to the DC since.
Don't miss it one bit.

Algbr
Username: Algbr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live a block off Woodward across from Duggans. We will enjoy the cruise from St. Ignace this year. We enjoyed it from Traverse City last year. Its the only way to keep your sanity.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fellow Forumers,

What ever you do at the Cruise, WATCH YOUR ASS if you’re enjoying a “cold one” on the street. Last year my beer cost me over $300 thanks to one of Royal Oak’s finest.

Yeah, the law’s the law but I still find it incredulous getting nailed for sipping on a beer from a red plastic cup while I was yakking peacefully (and not driving) with a rod owner and his wife.

Even the judge chuckled over the choice of paying the fine or 30 days in the hoosegow.

I agree the cruise is a royal pain for everyone who is inconvenienced by the traffic, noise, loutish behavior (excepting above) and lost business.

It’s a bitch too, watching out of town (and I’m sure a few local) slobs dumping trash, peeing on your lawn and roaring up side streets.

And it’s unfair the original graying cruisers who envisioned a folkish yearly reunion have been pushed out by the mega-corporate greed monsters

That being said, it’s heavy-metal salmon returning to their home waters- a gear head nirvana with everything from “art” cars to dragsters pounding the boulevard or resting kandy-apple and glistening.

It’s our own “absolutely free” Middle America freak parade celebrating eternal adolescence, engineering imperialism and chrome consumption.

Yeah, ya’ may not know a Edelbrock from a big block and feel that internal combustion is earth’s death song (all too true) but judging from the non-automotive events and party’s lining the streets and neighborhoods, who cares?

This IS Detroit, last time I checked, right?

Do the great unwashed require approval from the creative class to get down and let their mullets fly and beehives bob?

Myself, since my last genuine “cruiser”, a 70’s El Camino, rusted out from under me a few years ago and air–cooled V-twins aren’t the best for summer stop and go, I check out the action on my trusty Schwinn–sans grog of course.

I

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: