Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Farmer Jack's to close? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend's wife went shopping at the Roseville one and was told that "All Farmer Jack's will close by the end of the month".

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet a lot of Detroiters wish they had a Farmer Jack too close!

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmer Jack too close to what?! Haven't heard anything about them closing up shop in the near future though.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to close or too close?

They should be closed/sold by mid June. The union(s) was already prewarned of this and given the required legal warning in due time. The deals with both Spartan and Kroger fell through. So, expect both Spartan and Kroger to buy the individual stores that they want, and the rest will be sold to others or shuttered.

Possibly even by this week...

Cambrian

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had thought those "union" issues had been resolved two years back.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard about this too. Man how they used to be big. But then years back we had Chatham ( Worked there in 1974-75 ),A&P,Great Scott,Wrigley's & Danny's( (Danny's was not as big but had at one time had maybe 6-8 stores around).
Where I live in Lincoln Park, I'd expect the store at Fort & Emmons will be shuttered & empty a long time. With the economy there's no market for another grocer. Another Farmer Jacks in town closed then became a Food Basics then a Spartan & did not make it.
On the "Union Issue". Funny that years ago all of these Stores except Danny's were union with most employees well paid, full time & they made PROFITS!. Now with big box outfits with huge volume & little markup,low wages, they helped kill the grocery chains off. But then that has happened in all retail.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused...I though Farmer Jack was the most profitable grocery store. Why this doomsday thing?

So odd. I remember when farmer jack bought up A&P...I loved A&P.

Oh well...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's to resolve from A&P's POV? The unions were warned about closing weeks ago. A&P could close their stores or sell their Ohio/Michigan business to some other firms. Negotiations with Spartan have been conducted for some two years already.

A&P wants out (again) of the Midwest. Spartan and Kroger don't want all the A&P stores. So, either A&P shutters them all or it sells whatever stores it can. A&P (Farmer Jack's around here, Kohl's in Wis, etc.) won't continue for very long w/o being sold.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have so many problems with the above post by Eric I have to go lay down or something. One thing I will point out is that Danny's was a union shop (Teamsters) and our own local big box chain, Meijer's, is union (UFCW).

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically A&P put Farmer Jack on the market about two years ago. The union made concessions to help stay open as long as possible. That allowed the stores to stay open until at least June 1st, with no buyer in sight the chain will dissolve within coming weeks.

One potential buyer, which was not Spartan or Kroger, fell through. Basically related to overall expenses including higher than industry average rental agreements.

Kroger and Spartan never wanted the entire chain just some of the stores.

Of course the union demanding that all workers be hired at or above current union contracts at various chains interested has all about ended their hopes for take overs.

Expect Kroger and Spartan to take the pick of the litter mainly for location and in some instances for liquor licenses.

Granted they aren't making the $20+ an hour they made in the 80s but the Unions did not really create this demise, they helped finish nailing the coffin, but the addition of Meijer and Wal-Mart along with K-Mart grocery became a clouded market and Farmer Jacks just could not compete at that level.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every Farmer Jack's I've been in for the last ten+ years has been dirty and disgusting and staffed by lazy and rude or mentally challenged workers. I NEVER go to Farmer Jack's anymore.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the Farmer Jacks I frequented were fine -- clean, etc. They didn't seem able to provide fresh, local produce though. I notice Wholefoods is sourcing a lot of its produce locally, partly to save on transport costs, and Kroger and Meijer would be smart to follow suit.

sj, Meijer's is unionized, as ORF points out, so that weakens your argument a bit.

_sj_

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm, you might want to re-read, as my argument is solid and has nothing to do with Meijers or anywhere else being unionized.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too close to what? The road? A tree?

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Farmer Jack, on Washtenaw Ave. in Ypsilanti, and it was really nice, is there such a thing as a "Super Farmer Jack?

I think it's closed now.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Farmer Jack's in the Clarkston/Waterford area are nice but way too close together. There is a Farmer Jack on Dixie Highway in Clarkston near M-15, and then another just down the road in Waterford at Dixie & Walton. East of there and close to my house, there is a Farmer Jack at Sashabaw Road and Waldon Rd. (Near I-75.) This does seem like market saturation, but they always seem busy and are actually nice places to shop-I can't speak for other Farmer Jacks. The one at Walton Boulevard and Dixie Highway is newer, built within the last few years, and does very well-it would be a shame to see it close.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was shopping at my local Farmer Jack yesterday. I noticed that all of the "America's Choice" brand items (their house brand) were greatly reduced. I assume that these items are going to be replaced by another brand by another owner. Time will tell.

BTW: A pet peeve of mine is adding an "s" to every retailer, company etc. It's Farmer Jack, not Jacks, it's Meijer not Meijers. Reminds me of the UAW people that say they work at "Fords".

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you're in a bad area of the country if you don't like that Wash_man. We INVENTED adding "s" to companies that shouldn't have one.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotts tooo luv thge shpellin notzees. They all have super low post numbers, but seem to be able to finally come out of the woodwork and voice thier seldom offered opinions when there's a grammatical error. GET A LIFE!!!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding an S indicates where.

you,
I am going to Bob's house.
I work at the Ford factory.

us,
I am going to Bob's.
I work at Ford's
It is assumed you know what I am talking about. In the Detroit area, we have psychic powers and know what the other person is talking and thinking about. It's something in the water. :-)

Exception.
If there is already a S at the end, we don't add an addition S.
Example
See you at Elias Brothers.

oh yea, what were we talking about??

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 695
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The grammer and speling on this site is horible

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4460
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the Farmer Jack's super store in Grosse Pointe Woods, which was very clean and well stocked will get snatched up by Kroger.

That way Kroger can close their small Grosse Pointe Farms store (end their lease early), and allow Grosse Pointe Farms to finally develop the largest (and arguably most valuable) piece of undeveloped real estate left in the Pointes. The Mack & Moross location (former site of Sear's, Hughes & Hatcher, 9 homes and a huge parking lot, as well as the still functioning Kroger).

Something like 5-7 acres.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Farmer Jacks are closing by the end of the month. Many of the Farmer Jack pharmacies have already transferred prescriptions to nearby pharmacies (i.e CVS). Rumor has it that IGA or Spartan Foods may buy some stores.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed 3rdworldcity. Does this reflect the education results of the area? of Michigan? I was reading a post on the Freep site where a lady wrote about 20 lines without any punctuation. You had no idea what she was trying to say.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Farmer Jack on East Jefferson is the best one on the eastside by far. Unlike the older ones that were in the city (Example);
Grand River and Warren (which had a driveway past the viaduct on Warren in the back if you wanted to beat traffic)
Gratiot and Marcus (had a driveway on French Rd. to access the store to-once again-beat traffic)
Gratiot and Harper (formerly the Chatham's store-I loved Chatam's even though I was a child back then. BTW, for a short time, those FJs on Gratiot were simultaneously opened)
Van Dyke and 8 Mile (became one of the FILTHIEST in the early 90s)
7 Mile and Telegraph (that one should've STAYED open!)
Chene and Lafayette (that one was clean-due to the fact(s) that it was on the outskirts of downtown-and mostly older people shopped there)

If there are any former FJ in the city that I forgot about, please let me know.

BTW, another former FJ-this one was before my time-but W. Vernor and W. Gd. Blvd. the old facade there was an old Chevy dealer before it became a Farmer Jack. I walked past it in the early 90s and I knew it that it was an FJ but as I looked closer onto the old wallpaper and I saw (name forgotten) Chevrolet and I was just flabbergasted by those little tidbits of history. The building was razed in the mid 90s and a mini-mall was built consisting of a Murray's Discount, and a Video House.

And one other location on the SW side. Pitt and Central around the corner of Harms Elementary School-I believe it's a Spartan Chain now.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is horrible news yet in a way opens up more opportunity. The bad part about is, Farmer Jack's closing will limit Metro Detroiters even more to the some of the poorly run Arab and White owned stores as most families aren't able to afford the stores like Kroger and what not. However, this will open new opportunity as another grocer (a nicer and dedicated one) may want to purchase the stores abandoned to service the citizens misplaced by Farmer Jack's closing.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My local Hazel Park store always seems busy, well stocked and clean. I would be surprised if it were shuttered. I hope a family does not take it over, those never seem to last for some reason. We had a Danny's in Redford that was taken over by a middle eastern family, nice people, but it didn't last more then a year.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Farmer Jack when I was 16. It was my very first job. That was almost a dozen years ago when I heard my former manager foretell the future of this once proud chain.

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long. I mean I have always liked Farmer Jack, but to be honest I can't remember the last time I shopped there. Usually its Meijer, Costco or Target for me. For others it's Kroger or ...eh(gulp)Walmart. From this standpoint I can understand. They just don't seem relevant anymore.

It seems though like they were on the right track a few years ago when when they sold off alot of stores and re-consolidated themselves. They kicked away the old nonprofitable stores, and started anew with shiny state of the art new ones. Once that doesn't work it's time to call it a day I suppose. I remember the union clashes though from even when I worked there. Brutal.

(Message edited by classico on June 04, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If there are any former FJ in the city that I forgot about, please let me know."

-Southfield and Outer Drive.
-St. Antoine and Warren.

The one on Jefferson is only nice because of the overall design and cleanliness "sub-par" compared to many Farmer Jacks. The one on Jefferson however, I have encountered limited selections of foods and products compared to other Farmer Jacks (Grosse Pointe) and also poor service. It's not the most ideal Farmer ack though I'm sure to be located in City Limits, but currently, it is one of two locations in the city (The crappy Palmer Park location), so of course they win out.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They kicked away the old nonprofitable stores, and started anew with shiny state of the art new ones. Once that doesn't work it's time to call it a day I suppose"

The problem with that was that they isolated themselves from the prime residential areas, forcing people to make long trips to reach their locations. MAybe that had something to do with it as well.

_sj_

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if the Farmer Jack's super store in Grosse Pointe Woods, which was very clean and well stocked will get snatched up by Kroger.

Kroger definitely wants the one on Mack Avenue.

quote:

Detroiters even more to the some of the poorly run Arab and White owned stores as most families aren't able to afford the stores like Kroger

Can't afford? They basically have the same prices.

quote:

I was shopping at my local Farmer Jack yesterday. I noticed that all of the "America's Choice" brand items (their house brand) were greatly reduced.

Their warehouses were the first to close.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can't afford? They basically have the same prices."

Most people I know compare stores by the meat prices. Trust me, there's a major difference. All the other reasonable stuff I'll give you that, but not all stores try to highway rob you by offering $10 for $10 sales every week and $20.00 Meat when the store here has it for less than $10 and reasonable prices on the Non-Poultry products.

(Message edited by Urbanize on June 04, 2007)

_sj_

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I read that I compared sales ads, that is what I based it on.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall the opinion that Kroger always had the better meat which would equate to higher prices. Wasn't that Kroger's slogan at one point "Kroger means better meat" Or something like that. I seem to remember something like that back in the 80s.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, but lately Kroger has had more recalls on meat than I have had Pennies.

A lot of things have changed since the 80s.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4464
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, you must not shop Kroger or have a Kroger card...

Because if you did, you would realize that the 10 for $10 or 10 for $6, or whatever... that DOES NOT mean you have to purchase 10 items to get the discount. I often buy yogurt on sale there (10 for $6). And if I buy only 5 yogurts... I pay only $3. But you have to have the store card in order to get any discount... just like CVS & Rite Aid.

Dustin89

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize-I was under the impression that the Jefferson Ave. location was the only FJ within city limits. Is the Palmer Park location on 7 Mile?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5980
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is truly the end of Farmer Jack. Competition is this capitalist America is win-lose situation.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 849
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if I(ndependant)G(rocers)A(llianc e) would be interested in purchasing an actual chain. They operate strictly as a wholesaler. Spartan would be a more likely choice, operating both as a wholesaler and as a retailer with about 90 of their own branded stores. They seem to service about 35 stores IN Detroit proper though, so I don't know if they'd be willing to cut their throat as a wholesaler to become a retailer in Detroit. Be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Does anyone know if Supervalu has a presence in the Detroit Metro area?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4513
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought the service at my local Farmer Jack at 15 and Schoenherr was sub-par. It always seemed dirty and it was very cramped. I preferred Meijer, but I realize a lot of people don't like to larger stores due to the amount of shoppers and long lines.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Darrel Evans at that Farmer Jack

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Redfordette
I'm saying that unions AREN'T to BLAME!!! Many times when businesses go thru tough times the rank & file are held to be the cause. Not bad management or poor business practices.
I stand corrected on Danny's they were indeed union-I forgot but I'm refering tp the 1970's.
My point is; like other businesses the corporate types want to squeeze every penny out they can can. My mother work for J.L. Hudson's when the Hudson family owned it. They were fairly paid and Hudson's MADE MONEY.
Today the management ideal is this:Even if "Joe " is a solid reliable worker making let's say 30,000 a year plus helps his company stay profitable, management still often thinks: "If I can get rid of him I can hire 2-3 part-timers instead of paying him".
Refordette-when you're laying down put a cold cloth on your head it will help.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, Eric, point taken.

And Danny's was union till they closed in the late 80's. fwiw.

this day only got worse. A cold cloth or a cold drink?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember touring the Farmer Jack distribution center many years ago with school or my Girl Scout Troop (memory fails on this point)... bringing home some food..even a little tiny loaf of bread.

Now I understand why my local Farmer Jack had little stock on some items when I was shopping yesterday. Yes..the AC brand of just about everything was on sale. I'm sorry to see them go, though. I've been shopping at FJ for over 30 years. I have always preferred it to Kroger, Meijer or OakRidge. Kroger seems more expensive to me; Meijer is too busy and not enough cashiers at the times I usually go; OakRidge is WAY TOO expensive.

But mostly, I feel bad for all the employees. the last thing we need in this area is more unemployment.

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Farmer Jacks will close July 2nd. 26 stores will turn into Krogers. The rest will be picked up by independent chains such as Hollywood market, shoppers market, Holiday market, Oakridge Market etc. Yes Supervalu is in metro Detroit in the Oak Ridge market chain and shoppers market chain.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Because if you did, you would realize that the 10 for $10 or 10 for $6, or whatever... that DOES NOT mean you have to purchase 10 items to get the discount. I often buy yogurt on sale there (10 for $6). And if I buy only 5 yogurts... I pay only $3. But you have to have the store card in order to get any discount... just like CVS & Rite Aid."

You misunderstood my point. I used that plot to build on the fact that their meat prices are highway robbery, as they give those little specials then gain back the money lost in those sales charging $20.00 for some Beef or Pork.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The deal with Nash Finch- a grocery wholesaler-fell through. In an above post someone mentioned a $20 an hour wage. From the Union side of the store(Co managers on down) Meat department managers topped off at $16 per hr. in 80's-now it is something like $18.19 per hr.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In casual conversation, there's nothing wrong with adding an apostrophe and an "s" at the end of certain company names. True, it's usually not the official name, but it still sounds OK. In formal writing, though, I would go with the official name. "Meijer's" simply means that the Meijer family owns it. It's Meijer's (whatever descendent is around now) store, after all.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Farmer Jack by my house is very nice and it is quite large..

Urbanize

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Farmer Jack by my house is very nice and it is quite large.."

That's wonderful. May you elaborate on how nice your neighborhood Farmer Jack is to some of your fellow members please?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 958
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The workers at the FJ at Michigan & Greenfield expect to be gone by month's end. They have no idea what will become of the building. The management of that store claims to have no idea, as well. While I'm here, does anybody know of a store that sells the several-pound Stouffer's frozen Chicken Alfredo? My son loves it, and I can't find it nowhere nomore.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger, Meijer, Wal-Mart? (lol). If you want to stay small, local and reasonable, try Glory.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want fast friendly helpful and knowledgeable service you have to shop where the rich and upple middle class shop. Papa Joes; Holiday market in Royal Oak etc. Kroger may purchase at least 25 stores. A&P planners were building an purchasing much too agressively 99-01.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3272
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stores often go by their possessive names--Schuster's and Gimbel's both started in Milwaukee and always used the possessive for nearly a century, as well as Macy's, as in another current DY thread.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And one other location on the SW side. Pitt and Central around the corner of Harms Elementary School-I believe it's a Spartan Chain now."
Yup, it's called "Farmers Market" now; I do my grocery shopping there.

I work at Kroger, and all the employees (Lincoln Park) received a memo stating that we don't listen to rumors about being interested in Farmer Jack and whatnot, and if they have any information regarding that, associates will be the first to know, yadda yadda yadda mumbo jumbo...

The Lincoln Park (or is that Allen Park) Farmer Jack on Southfield Road is going to supposedly be bought by an independent owner (rumors and speculations).

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3274
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no sense, really, for Kroger's upper management or board of directors to keep the store managers informed about ownership details, especially during any negotiation phases. Besides, what benefit could it serve the stockholders or the proletariat stockers? Too many rumors and such, and few of them anywhere accurate.

Time will tell--just like at Chrysler. It's like an eBay auction when the auction time limit approaches. The outcomes aren't always predictable when something other than Monopoly money (or DY talk) is involved.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, man how could I forget about Southfield and Outer Drive (Detroit)? Not to mention Warren and St. Antoine as well as 7 Mile and the Avenue of Fashion (Livernois)? thanks Urbanize and Dustin 89. And those were the good ones as well-especially Southfield and Outer Drive (they could've kept that one).

_sj_

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All Farmer Jacks will close July 2nd. 26 stores will turn into Krogers. The rest will be picked up by independent chains such as Hollywood market, shoppers market, Holiday market, Oakridge Market etc.

The WOTS is that Kroger only wants about 20 of the 47 available. Not all 66 Farmer Jack stores are for sale.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Lincoln Park (or is that Allen Park) Farmer Jack on Southfield Road"

That is the Kroger I always went to when living in Detroit, nice store.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Individual stores have different profit margins and employee attitudes based upon the strength of the store manager and its location. That's why Kroger - and Spartan - only wanted certain stores.

Although top union salaries are in the high teens, certain workers (i.e. meat cutters) make a lot more than that due to frequent overtime.

_sj_

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Although top union salaries are in the high teens, certain workers (i.e. meat cutters) make a lot more than that due to frequent overtime.

Meat Cutters and store clerks are under different contracts and they make more than high teens. Part Time workers bring in over 20.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 547
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously I'm referring to hourly rates, not salary.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krogers BETTER get the location on Jeffferson and take care of it too. Farmer JAck's Didn't go through all of that Designing just for it to sit vacant.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive heard from a pharmacist that works there and a Coca cola distributor that Farmer Jacks IS CLOSING

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jefferson/St. Jean location really should stay open. It's busy all t he time...I can't imagine it's not making money, let alone paying for itself.

Fareastsider, they really are just going to close it?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, don't forget that Holiday Market is a Spartan store. In very nice clothes, but a Spartan. The rich and UMC shop at Plum Market and Papa Joe.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to news reports from a couple weeks ago, Kroger, Spartan and another unnamed chain have purchased or are purchasing 47 of the 66 stores from A&P. The remaining 19 stores have not been sold and likely will close. A&P is not commenting on which stores are in what status.

Also the two distribution centers, including the five year old building in Livonia, will close this month, according to the same articles.

I have read somewhere that July 2 is the last day the stores will operate as Farmer Jack. Can anyone confirm?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like westborn market. All check stands have a smiling cashier and as crowded as the parking lot is you never have to wait that long to check out. Thier prepared foods section has saved me the time and expense of eating out on school nights in addition to the store's outstanding selection and service. I use FJ for pet food, dairy, dry / canned goods and cleaning products mostly.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Jefferson/St. Jean location really should stay open. It's busy all t he time...I can't imagine it's not making money, let alone paying for itself."

I've served the Jefferson/St.Jean store since it's opening and have been told by manegement it has yet to make money. They built that store with the idea the homes around it would one day pay the bills once they were built but that has yet to happen.

There's also only 2 FJ's left in the city. Jeff/St.Jean and 7 and Livernois.

I also highly doubt Kroger would venture into the city again after the mistake at 7 and Gratiot.

Just my opinion.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I also highly doubt Kroger would venture into the city again after the mistake at 7 and Gratiot.

Just my opinion."

I was hoping you didn't bring that up. So much for that location.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the mystery shopping back a few years ago for the Kroger's on Lappin and reported the place as I saw it. Some employees were great, especially those in the produce, deli, bakery, and pharmacy. The managers seemed just to put it their time instead of managing.

Food boxes broken open by grazers all over the store. The stockers would leave several pallets completely blocking an aisle or two and go home, leaving them there until the next stocking shift, smelly fresh fish, etc. It's no wonder why they closed it...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I did the mystery shopping back a few years ago for the Kroger's on Lappin and reported the place as I saw it. Some employees were great, especially those in the produce, deli, bakery, and pharmacy. The managers seemed just to put it their time instead of managing.

Food boxes broken open by grazers all over the store. The stockers would leave several pallets completely blocking an aisle or two and go home, leaving them there until the next stocking shift, smelly fresh fish, etc. It's no wonder why they closed it..."

Oh wow, thanks for sharing your story again. It's really not helping any cause.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a small, older FJ at Newburg and Five that I sometimes hit for quick things on the way home. Several years back, they built a much bigger, flashier, store at Haggerty and Six, less than two miles away. Funny that, over time, the Five Mile store seemed to maintain its client-base but the last time I was in the Six Mile store it was a ghost town. Only thing I can think of is that the Five store is in an established neighborhood and the Six store is in a large strip mall at a VERY busy intersection.

I feel VERY sorry for the nice clerks and cashiers at Five. They've always been very helpful and friendly.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 739
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sucks. Now where can I get some cheap deli eats?

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like its July 7th....

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/13451200/detail.html?rss= det&psp=news

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is too bad and FJ's. They have been at the edge for many years

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad, many fond memories shopping t the one that used to be on East Grand Blvd back in the 70's .

Used to love to look at the prizes on all the cereal boxes and then Id get to go home with either my Alpha-bits or Sugar Pops and get to cut out my Jackson 5, Archies, Monkees or Bobby Sherman record off the back.
And don't forget the little plastic gerariums(?) we used to get in Count Chocula. lolol

I miss it already.

(Message edited by dexterpointing on June 06, 2007)

Detroitgalaxian
Username: Detroitgalaxian

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like all of the Farmer Jack locations from the 70's and early 80's are long gone. (I think they had a tendency to move to larger locations.)

Does anyone know where I might find the FJ stores that have continually held the same locations the longest and are still open today? I think it would be interesting to poke my head in some of the oldest ones. All of the locations that my family shopped at when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's are long gone.

Do any locations still have the tall narrow signs with 'Farmer Jack' spelled out vertically? (I haven't seen any in a while.)

I hated it when they eliminated their old logo in favor of the newer computer-rendered farmer character. I think the new one looks creepy.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3283
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The smaller Farmer Jack's apparently are all gone. The last of them were sold off about five years ago or were reformatted into Food Basics stores (which bellied up two or three years ago).

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Looks like its July 7th....

The one near me has already been phasing out some items I buy. I don't know if I will keep going there for another month.

Helpwanted
Username: Helpwanted

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

during my junior high and high school years, my family lived in west dearborn very close to veterans hospital in allen park (no longer there). my folks shopped at FJ in melvindale at allen rd and oakwood. i think that location closed a long time ago.

i have been a kroger shopper for a very long time. even crossed the picket lines. bad me.

i live less than a mile from the FJ at inkster rd and plymouth rd and i hate that store. very few cashiers. now that would be cool if it turned into a kroger store but not sure if it is big enough.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been inside of a Farmer Jack in years but this is really the end of an era... I remember when the store on Plymouth west of Evergreen was phased out for the new store at Outer Drive and Southfield... which was eventually turned into a Food Basic... and who knows what it is now, if anything?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a Glory Actually. I still like the 8 Mile location best because of the atmosphere (at one point, it was all full service) Glory picked up the locations in HP, Hamtramack, 7 Mile and Telegraph, and Outer Drive and Southfield.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News from Today...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070607/B IZ/706070430&theme=Biz-FarmerJ ack

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The little one in Hazel Park is not on the list for liquidation sales. I know the article stated that it doesn't mean that it will be closed, but I have to wonder if anyone would want that location given all the homes for sale in the HP area. That's the last thing we need - closed schools, now closed grocery store. :-(

~Liza

Professorscott

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears the East Jeff store is NOT on the list, or did I just miss it?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

~Liza

You live in HP? Things are looking up on my street. All the For Sale signs are now gone, some homes were purchased by house flippers. A good sign they see Hazel Park as a worthy investment.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly hope so - we are putting windows and siding on the house and hopefully it will be ready to sell when things pick back up. We will probably put the new changes on the house then list it immediately. I'd love to move back to Ferndale.

Right now there are three homes for sale on our street (not counting ours). Two of them are foreclosures.

~Liza

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sometimes go to the Hazel Park Jacks too (live in downtown Detroit, but work in Hazel Park) and it IS a very nice store. Hopefully Krogers or someone takes it over.

I was wondering.... does anyone think this may be a good chance for another major chain to move into the area? Say Albertsons?

Lizaanne

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've actually read some news reports about a chain from England coming to the States called Tesco - they are a great chain with very nice store brand products. They are specifically looking at lower income areas. I think the FJ in Hazel Park would be a perfect location for one of these stores.

Here is a news story: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06 /06/business/worldbusiness/06t esco.html?em&ex=1181275200&en= e503857736392b5c&ei=5087%0A

Sorry - don't know how to make pretty links on this site like I can elsewhere.

~Liza

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3292
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was wondering.... does anyone think this may be a good chance for another major chain to move into the area? Say Albertsons?

Such moves are major corporate decisions, and therefore, are not made just because a major chain is leaving a void behind. After all, A&P is no novice in the grocery business. If they cannot be profitable, might another chain entering the same market have the same problems with their own business plan?

Many cities' retail markets are simply put--overstored. That is, there are too many stores of a particular type than the market can endure and still make a profit.

This concept also applies to the placement of stores for a particular company. If a company places stores too near some of its own stores, it siphons off business from them and might cause problems for some franchisees, too, for example.

And because the size of grocery stores has increased the past two/three decades, it's even more critical not to place new stores too near others and still remain profitable.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hardly ever go to the FJ here in Hazel Park, but we were starving so we stopped in for a rotiserie chicken and some potato salad. The sign on the door said that they are NOT a liquidation location, but it was very obvious that they are not stocking at their usual levels. They may not be having clearance sales, but they have significantly scaled back their buying for that store.

~Liza

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just opened that damed Dearborn Heights location a few years ago...its actually right across the street from Detroit in Warrendale...

I really hope that Kroger takes that spot again, or at least some other place does. I somehow doubt that DH will let it stay vacant for long tho.

Professorscott

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY,

I would find it hard to believe that Detroit, even if it is down to 800,000 people, is overserved by grocery stores. Now, some of the suburbs, you could make that argument.

The other point is more ominous for those interested in the fate of these stores - grocery stores are bigger now than when most of these stores were built. A modern chain is going to be interested in a modern-size store.

When the dust settles, it will be interesting to see who chose to purchase which properties, and what changes they make.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3294
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS,

Detroit will have to combat its severe shrinkage problems in order to entice major full-service groceries to resettle here. Until then, its honest residents will have to make do with the Spartan, Sav-a-lot, or convenience stores.

There are only two FJs in Detroit anyway, so it's no big loss to most Detroiters. For me the nearest FJs are about 4 or 5 miles away in the burbs.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on June 08, 2007)

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spend a lot of time in Hazel Park at my girlfriend's house and it seems to me that the Farmer Jack on John R is the only option available to most of the people who live in that area. The crowds at the store seem to back that up. I'm afraid that fact could be an incentive for a new owner to disregard quality.

Dustin89

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The FJ store liquidation list published in the Free Press a day or two ago included all of the stores near me (Dixie Hwy. & White Lake Road, Dixie Hwy. & Walton, Sashabaw & I-75.) I don't recall seeing the Detroit Jefferson Avenue location on the list-if it's not being liquidated it could have been purchased by Kroger or some other retailer. The Livernois Avenue location was on the liquidation list.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We talked to a FJ employee today and they said Kroger bought most of the larger stores, and Hollywod Market bought the smaller ones. The FJ employees will have 1st chance for the jobs at the stores bought by Kroger, and the rest of the positions will be filled by outside hires. I'm glad to hear the current people should be able to keep their jobs.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would LOVE it if the Hazel Park store became a Kroger!!! I would absolutely shop there for sure! Was never a huge FJ fan.

~Liza

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Bushs will take any of the old farmer jack locations

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The FJ's near me is closing, we'll become Kroger regulars it appears. FJ's had the worst meat department, always trying to clear out grey meat cuts with "Manager's special" stickers. Kroger usually has a good meat department. Hillers had the best.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5377
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck, I will always Farmer Jacks for the brief time they were offering Northwest Worldperks frequent flyer miles. I shopped there enough, I had actually gotten a free roundtrip off of my groceries once.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 411
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Farmer Jack at Inkster and Plymouth has lost customers because they no longer get any people who ride the SMART bus into Livonia.

It's really sad in my opinion that the Livonia city council members were more concerned about pay raises for themselves then the taxpayers.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 667
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,
Have you ever tried taking home a weeks worth of groceries on the bus?

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 6-7 years ago, Farmer Jack opened several grocery stores in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk VA area. They didn't even last a year. People were put off by the "dumb hillbilly" decor which seemed to extend to the attitudes of the employees there. FJ's had a small produce department which people had to squeeze through the narrow aisles first to get to the rest of the store. I never found prices any lower there than at the nicer and cleaner stores. It was the "jalopy" of the local grocery stores....gone to hayseed.

This was a sad contrast for me because my family always liked the Farmer Jack on Ford Road in Westland during the 1970s and 1980s. I ended up apologizing to my co-workers who always had a negative experience going to the Virginia Beach FJs.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are supposed to be 21 stores closing. The one at Rochester Rd. & Tienken in N. Rochester was bought by Hollywood Mkt. The one at 100 Adams (Adams and Walton)in Auburn Hills is closing because the rent is too high. I know this because they are on my route and are my customers. I don't know about the rest. They will all be closing the first week of July.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on June 10, 2007)

_sj_

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We talked to a FJ employee today and they said Kroger bought most of the larger stores, and Hollywod Market bought the smaller ones. The FJ employees will have 1st chance for the jobs at the stores bought by Kroger, and the rest of the positions will be filled by outside hires. I'm glad to hear the current people should be able to keep their jobs.

From what I am hearing not at their current contract but as new hires starting at the bottom.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

better than being laid off...

Elviswithteeth
Username: Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another long kept company-name in Michigan gone... Here those sounds???? Crickets and lights being shut off! But Farmer Jack's produce was sub-standard and who wants to wait in those LONG lines anyhow! Thank God for Meijers and Westborn.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything saying exactly which stores are being bought by whom and which are not?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's all second hand info at the moment. I just heard that the FJ's at 12 and Campbell is going to be a Hollywood as well.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman_Dude
FJs attempts were also in one store in Culpeper Va. Abandoned buy other chains, they folded too. It's still empty...Space to Lease sign still hangs in place. Retail grocery is a tough business. Here....competition...WM Supercenter, 2 Food Lions, a transformed Safeway and now an ALDI Foods recent grand opening 3/4 of a mile from the "white elephant". I worked for Borman Foods in the 60's.

Blueidone

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13 Mile & Gratiot will be a Kroger, per the employees there. 12 Mile & Gloede in Warren (across from Macomb college) is closing. No purchaser as this time. I was in the 12 Mile store yesterday...shopped there for 35 years. How sad to see all the shelves empty! The entire stock is on sale, but it's going fast...there's not much left. I said "bye" to the cashier's I have seen for so long, and wished them luck.

_sj_

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not be too trusting on the news from FJ employees as I think the rumors are running wild. And I also doubt Kroger would keep all the FJ employee at the stores they purchased.

I think there is some mis-information going on to make sure these employees stay the course.

Blueidone

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj:

I didn't say they were keeping the employees. In fact the employees have no idea what is going to happen to them at the 13 Mile & Gratiot store. The ones we talked to are assuming that they will lose their jobs and have to re-apply to get jobs at the new store, whatever it is. The employees at 12 Mile know that they will not have a job come the end of the month.

Fnnm400
Username: Fnnm400

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live just down the street from the 12 mile & Gloede store, the counters were empty before they decided to close. We stopped shopping there a few years ago, they stop carrying so many popular brands, we finally gave up!
A&P sure did ruin a decent chain of stores.
Of course that is the norm these days with all the venture cap groups worried about money for the exec's.
Its not bad enough we are faced with an empty, they have the help walking the streets with store closing signs. Might as well run the neighborhood down as much as we can!!!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6046
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A and P killed Farmer Jack because it can't keep up with Kroger and Arab owned Spartan Stores.

Is competition great or what. When corporations see winners and losers. Customers not only see their mom and pop stores dissapear but also they will become LOSERS!!!

_sj_

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I didn't say they were keeping the employees. In fact the employees have no idea what is going to happen to them at the 13 Mile & Gratiot store. The ones we talked to are assuming that they will lose their jobs and have to re-apply to get jobs at the new store, whatever it is. The employees at 12 Mile know that they will not have a job come the end of the month.

I have in fact heard the exact opposite from FJ employees. I have also heard that Kroger will be buying some stores and not opening them at all.

BTW, ever wonder why when some poor auto worker loses his job it is front page news asking for state assistance. Where is the outcry and the help for these workers on the frontpage and the help from the government.

Burningwheel
Username: Burningwheel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly it's true. I prefer FJ to Krogers

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just did some grocery shopping at Meijer today. As the cashier was ringing me up, she inquired if I had a Farmer Jack Savings card. I handed it to her and she told me they were giving all shoppers 10% off their bill if they surrendered their FJ card. Great deal and savvy marketing by Meijer! I hadn't been in a FJ in maybe 3 years anyway.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ignorance...does the Retail Clerks International Association still exit? Should I throw away the membership card (tattered) from 1969?

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj-I agree, its a big deal all those people are losing jobs, its widespread through all lines of work now...but in this area the auto jobs have all the news, and its seems like everyone else who has a job is secondary to the big 3...oops...small 3

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: