Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Eastland Mall « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Universal Mall thread got me thinking about this one since it is on my side of town.

Anyone with pictures/memories to share?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my family lived in that area, my parents used to take me and my brothers to Eastland Mall each Christmas to get our photo taken with Santa. This would have been 1960-64.

It may have been simply Eastland Shopping Center back then.

(Message edited by Fury13 on May 30, 2007)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the free Circus that they used to have in the parking lot every summer. They also used to sponsor free shows with Sagebrush Shorty, Ricky the Clown, Bozo and Mr. Whoodini and all the other popular local kids TV hosts.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived near Eastland as a kid and could actually see Hudson's from my bedroom window. In about 3rd grade, our teacher went around the room and asked each of us what we wanted to be when we grew up. I answered "J.L. Hudson" after looking at the old "J.L. Hudson Co." lite sign on top of the store from my bedroom window.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on 8 and Mound.
My mom would drag me to Eastland often.
I grew weary of this captive existence at 10,
and one day, began walking home in anger.

They picked me up just past Gratiot.=)

I believe I was spanked.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another time, on our way there, in heavy snow, we spun out on an island of 8mi between Gratiot and Kelly. We did like 3-4 spins in the '60 Olds 88 and came to rest in the middle.
Luckily.

Oh, and I went to Notre Dame for a year or so and spent a lot of time looking at it.

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on May 30, 2007)

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I went to Dominican. Eastland was the site of first time I ever really swore in front of my mother. (That's what I get for going to an all-girl school - a potty mouth!!) She and Dad had picked me up after school to shop. Dad was dropping us off right in front of Hudson's and, just as I was exiting the back seat of their fastback 'Cuda, my bra totally gave way. I emitted the automatic "Oh shit!". Mom said, "WHAT?!?!?!?" and looked like she was going to smack me down right there. When I explained the circumstance, though, she was fully understanding and immediately hauled me along to get a new one.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had many a Hamburger Deluxe Platter and Rainbow Parfait in the basement cafeteria.

I can smell it now there.

Mtm

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, if you want to talk about Hudson's meals, give me shrimp salad on toasted cheese bread, chicken Americana, chicken pie! Several years ago on eBay, I caught a great deal on 1947 menus from the flagship store. Wouldn't believe what you could get for a $.75 Shoppers' Lunch. They were in great condition and are now framed on the wall outside our bedroom.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland memories:
-amusement rides in the parking lot in the late 50s early 60s before the construction of Eastland Apartments.
-Circus in the Grand Mall
-Denny McClain playing the Hammond Organ in the Grand Mall in 1968
-WWJ radio auxillary station by the garden center
-The hippo, the lion and mouse
-Kroger's supermarket seeming ultra-modern with curbside loading of groceries
-Sander's basement cafeteria
-The coin/stamp shop in the concourse level
-Kresge's $0.49 submarine sandwich (remember when subs first came out)
-The farmhouse on Vernier next to the parking lot....the owner of the house had an agreement when he sold his land for eastland that he could remain in his home untill his death.
-Window shopping on Sundays then going to Cunningham's for a Coke (Cunningham's was the only place opened in Eastland on Sunday.)
-Working during Christmas season at Hudson's (The pursuit of excellence was the name of their training program)
-Went to ND in the late 60s and saw the apartments being built as well as the movie theater on Beaconsfield and Vernier.
-At first the enclosure of the mall 1975 was disappointing, but competition with Macomb Mall was a factor.
-Santa and the reindeer on the bus terminal after Thanksgiving...remember when Christmas decorations up just prior to Christmas?
-In general, it was a big deal to be allowed to ride our bikes to Eastland, over a mile away. great place to hangout as a kid...Fond memories

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The hippo, the lion and mouse "
Oh, man, I used to crawl on that lion.
I think the gold tail of the mouse was broken off, even then.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband loves the Lion and the Mouse. One day a few years ago he did a search on the artist. At the time you could buy a mouse thru his gallery. I think it was something like $600.00. It was really expensive. I don't believe you could get a lion.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember walking to Eastland from home.

The tall office building next to it where my dentist was.

The barbershop in the basement.

When the foodcourt first opened. I had never seen a foodcourt before, now they are everywhere.

Also, the Total gas station on the corner.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=0e8a04f1 4ce58b63c5c7ccbcc76af707&q1=ea stland&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2=And&q2= &rgn2=vmc_ti&type=boolean&med= 1&view=thumbnail&c=vmc

check out the pictures from virtual city WSU

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the DTE aerial pix a few months ago and saw Eastland in mid construction in the '56 one.

It's a cool pic

Kellyroad

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larryinflorida,
I just saw the 1956 picture a few days ago when looking for the Nike Missle Site at Heilmann Park. Yes, that is indeed a cool pix. Notice the farmhouse on the very top of the picture on the left side (near Vernier road)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, go see the real PDF folks, this don't do it justice.

http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/wayne/1956/ga-1-18.pd f

You can see the farmhouse in the "bent" section of Vernier.

Pinewood73

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pic Larry.

I can see the house I grew up in still under construction!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13,
I remember the Santa Claus Fantasyland being located in the garden center next to the WWJ auxillary studio on the west end of the mall (next to the hippo). In my mind the Eastland Santa was THE Santa that appeared in the Hudson's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can never get enough of those old photos. I actually have put together a whole bunch of them from 1949 and have one large map that is still growing that extends from 15 mile Groesbeck 28 mile and Saint Johns Marsh in Saint Clair County. Chesterfield is the center of it now as it is where I grew up. I would like to complete the line down gratiot to downtown but that will take a lot of time. It is cool to see the whole area as one big image before all of the development.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=a51aa646 7a3fa6f598926455d145b754;med=1;q1=eastland;rgn1=vmc_ti ;c=vmc;evl=full-image;quality= 1;view=entry;subview=detail;la sttype=boolean;cc=vmc;entryid= x-1668;viewid=1668;start=1;res num=1
Hey Larryinflorida,
Do you see the lion and mouse in this Grand Mall picture? (one the very right side)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, I take one area, and crop several years to be exactly the same size image, then do a slideshow with dissolves on my PC.

You can watch things come and go. Time Lapse.

I can't get that link to work, Kellyroad.
Plus that Wayne Library site is the dumbest site design and most arcane navigation in the entire city. They should have used Flickr for their albums instead of that convoluted mess, lol.

I tired all variations of what you posted, even the non highlighted part.

Anything with a URL that long with illegal characters in it to get one damn picture to show should have its' designer taken out back!

rant over.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Eastland being built too. Shortly before it opened, our family went somewhere on the west side. As we drove out 8 Mile past Northland, I saw their Hudson's store standing out from the rest of the buildings and asked "What is Eastland doing all the way out here?" (I was kind of young). My parents explained that this was Northland and very similar to Eastland. After it opened, I thought Eastland was the biggest shopping area I had ever seen. I was especially intrigued by the concourse - I hadn't seen any enclosed shopping areas before (the first kinds of mini-malls. I later discovered that Northland also had 3 of them, not just one). I also loved the interior walkway in the building near Kroger's where you could smell the produce as you walked in the door all the way at the far end. My mom took me to Sander's cafeteria all the time and I always got a hot fudge sundae on butter pecan ice cream. Even though I live in Indiana now, whenever I'm in Detroit, I buy some Sander's hot fudge for my butter pecan ice cream when I get home. I really enjoyed Hudson's book department and then there was the record department on the fourth floor. I was interested to know that Eastland's Hudson's had 4 floors, not just 3 like Northland (our store was actually bigger, even if the shopping center wasn't). When they enclosed the shopping center, it was never the same to me.

Mtm

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville,

If you miss Sanders hot fudge sundaes, there are now several small Sanders stores in some of the local malls like Laurel Park (275 @ 6 Mile) where you can get the REAL THING AND hot fudge cream puffs. You can also order your hot fudge online at: http://www.sanderscandy.com/ though I wouldn't want to discourage from coming home.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4433
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville, yes Eastland had one large grand court (as well as one or two smaller ones), whereas Northland only several smaller courts, and no grand court.

Hudson's claimed that after the closing of downtown, that the Northland was their flagship store (largest)... but I agree Eastland with an extra story seemed somehow larger. But I believe that the basement area is where Northland made up for its larger size. It had a very large basement that had a larger footprint than the floors above it.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every aunt and uncle I have worked at the Eastland Mall Big Boy dad worked his way from Bus boy to the top starting at Eastland. I remember when we weren't allowed to ride our bikes there anymore because of the trouble in the movie theater.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville and Mtm,
This may be getting off the subject of Eastland (but I digress). Downtown Wyandotte just opened a Sander's only a block north of Stroh's Ice Cream (which sells Sander's products...go figure). Kville, It's nice to see another fan of Cream Puff Hot Fudge WITH BUTTER PECAN ICE CREAM. Back to Eastland memories...another aroma that brought back fond memories was the Alexander Hourning(sp?) butcher shop in the Kroger building. Remember all he delicatessen meats hanging over the counter. As a kid I'd walk in there to just to catch that aroma (also, maybe get a Hot Sam pretzel or visit the AAA pet store). It's interesting how a lot of our fond memories related to food (LOL)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread last year that has a few old pictures of Eastland:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/66966.html

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There they are, Thanks!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to ride our bikes from home and goof around all day in the summer...stopping at the HArper woods park to play on the tank...

I remember when my cousin and I went nuts over the First Burger King...rode from Wayburn and Morang to get two whoppers (apiece)...taht became a ritual for us...

Chased KathyinOzarks around mall as a teen...and lost many a fake contact lens on the concourse...Bought first Big Bell Bottoms and baggy pants...there and YEs those Christmas Displays...kids today don't have a cue how wonderful those were downtown (hudsons) and at eastland mall..

Loved riding elevators in dime stores ...dreamed of the toys in Toy department...

Was traveling when my Dad passed(no suit) went to Hudson and they got me set-up right away...still have the suit and use it for funnerals (black) can't part with it...thank God I didn't get a baby Blue one...for that matter a leisure suit either...

Kellyroad

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Larry,
Looks like the mouse still has his tail. Although that picture was taken awhile ago (LOL)

Gibran

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember getting my Polio vacine there in the 60's ...wow...I also remember that downstairs shopping area...

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that sculpture is in Grand Rapids now.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad, the tail coiled into a spiral, I'm not sure, but I think I remember the green outline of it on the lion.
Or they made replacements, when the later, more aggressive gentry removed the whole mouse!.

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on May 31, 2007)

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm & Kellyroad, thanks for the Sanders update. I come to Detroit regularly, so it's never a problem buying the hot fudge anywhere in town. Maybe this should be another thread - local products that bring back fond memories, things not readily available in other places.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the lion is Actually still in Eastland.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That tank in the Harper Woods Park was hauld out to be restored. I wonder if ever was. It was sad to see it go. It had a lot of tradition for the Seniors at Harper High. The class of 2001 was shortchanged when it left.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize,
As of 2005 the lion and mouse were still there located on the east side of Neiman Marcus (now Macy's) just a few feet from its original location on the east end of the grand court.

Karen8824
Username: Karen8824

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the musical shows up at Eastland in the Summertime. The Conti Family was big then. The nactivity scene at Christmas and Stouffers Restuarant. Lived at 7 and Kelly. REgina graduate 1980

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the musical shows up at Eastland in the Summertime.

I remember going to see and hear the Austin-Moro Big Band back in the 70's. Emil Moro and Lanny Austin ran one heck of a big band. They hired some of the best local freelancers to play, and they would play a lot of Stan Kenton and Woody Herman Charts...

Pinewood73

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember when Joe Dimaggio was signing autographs at Eastland?

I was there !

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larryinflorida, how do you access wsu site??

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 534
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually google dte aerial photos, or "Virtual Detroit", lol.
I may have it bookmarked here on this new box, actually.

But I just found an alternate site:
http://www.semcog.org/Products /AerialPhotos/DTEaerials.htm

Same framework, different url.

I'm sure Kellyroad could have found a less nested url, But thats a long, long string and it got broken, as you see.

Also, the site pops a second page for the image you want, an extra step in getting back to a new pic.

I have Never Not gone right away to the biggest image, so that 1, 2, 3, 4 thing is not for me.

Like I said, just copy Flikr, lol. they seem to do ok.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does anyone remember when Joe Dimaggio was signing autographs at Eastland?

I was there !"

Me too, summer of 1984. I remember a guy finding out DiMaggio was appearing and he ran into an appliance store and bought a Mr. Coffee with DiMaggio's picture on the box. He got it signed! I wonder how much that is worth today!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen8824,
also was a 7/kelly resident.
The Nativity scene for many years was located ont the west end of the mall (before it was enclosed) right by the hippo. Stouffers on the far eastside of the mall was, in my mind, seemed to be upscale (not a jeans and tee shirt joint).

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha Gibran!

So, Stouffer's had those gold drapes covering the windows and we never went in there. I guess mom thought it was way too expensive for our family or something? Can anyone tell me what the food/prices were like? It would be fun to know.

Wasn't there a B. Seigel store in the mall? Seagull's is what we called it.

Gibran

Post Number: 521
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember having the same experience at stouffer's...but my mom would deflect and say we can get better food elsewhere.:}...

I think many of our folks had a hard time going out to eat...I remember a Cantonese place on Morang that had the best shrimp ever...and that was generally the extent until vacation time...ecept at Milroy's and I have drooled over that for awhile now...

Karavans on Morang
Clock on Gratiot

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you mean Kavan's Colony East?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 560
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going out to eat was always a treat. Oh yeah, that reminds me - Hudson's fourth floor dining room was our of our family's league. My mother could stretch a dollar into a beach blanket!

We did go to the basement restaurant/cafeteria though. Also the Sign of the Beefeater across the street was great. We would meet grandma and grandpa there. Big ol' chunk of iceberg lettuce and Thousand Island dressing.

(Message edited by kathinozarks on June 03, 2007)

Gibran

Post Number: 524
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I got over you running away from us at Eastland ...we traveled the city in search of fine dining...usual ethnic one's...liked Sinbads, Kon Tiki and well any pub with grub that would let us in...but Mr. C's and the dollar pizza had to surfice...and did I mention Milroy's :]...when we got even older the Clock gave us a good "beer Base" ...SOS...

Gibran

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I got over you running away from us at Eastland ...we traveled the city in search of fine dining...usual ethnic one's...liked Sinbads, Kon Tiki and well any pub with grub that would let us in...but Mr. C's and the dollar pizza had to surfice...and did I mention Milroy's :]...when we got even older the Clock gave us a good "beer Base" ...SOS...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was caught shoplifting at Hudson's Eastland when I was 15. That's a big memory for me!!

Gibran

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) .... That Catholic School girl initiation ...

Gibran

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prior to the Teenage years there..It was a big thing for our neighborhood kids to get on our Schwinn's and ride down to eastland...I remember riding on a Friday in lent and just as I took a big bite from my hamburger got at the grill at east land, my buddy said ...hey isn't it Friday....Man you could of heard the air sucked out of my lungs....I was craving that so much...well you know the rest of the story.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I remember going to see and hear the Austin-Moro Big Band back in the 70's. Emil Moro and Lanny Austin ran one heck of a big band. They hired some of the best local freelancers to play, and they would play a lot of Stan Kenton and Woody Herman Charts.

I saw Stan Kenton's big band play at Eastland--had to be late '60s.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the lasting consequences of my shoplifting spree at Hudson's was that the security guy told me that "you can never work at Hudson's. Ever". That was kind of funny. Shoot. Darn. Maaaaaan! That was the only laughable part.

It's embarrassing how much I cried in his office. I was a mess compared to the two girls who I passed waiting for the police or whatever. They looked like hardened criminals to me. They could've cared less, meanwhile my whole life was coming to an end! Mom was going to KILL ME! Especially since it was her Mother's day present and it was only $8.00 and I had the money in my purse. What a moron!

Guess who never shoplifted again?

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Larry

Gibran

Post Number: 532
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah but you grew up great...Eastland was it just me or dd we really have that good growing up on th eeastside...I know that there were hardships but these threads brings up nice memories...

Gibran

Post Number: 533
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah but you grew up great...Eastland was it just me or dd we really have that good growing up on th eeastside...I know that there were hardships but these threads brings up nice memories...

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a young teen, (78-79) hanging out at Eastland after classes at ND meant Wizard's Arcade, messing around at Herman's Sporting Goods and Musicland or spending hours at the bookstores. Then I spent several years working, as I finished at ND and attended WSU, at Iacobell's Shoes & The Tinderbox. As a male, working at a women's shoe store was "different". Working at The Tinderbox, was like working at a bar (without the alcohol). We had regular customers, other Eastland workers or husbands that spent time a the store while the wives shopped, that came in everyday, sometimes bring coffee and BS for hours.... Many characters and many funny stories...

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Father was in charge of carpentry at Stouffer's Eastland when it was built. As a trial run and as practice for real customers, Stouffers invited all the tradesmen and their families for dinner before the restaurant opened.

Stouffers was considered a fancy restaurant. On Sundays, after church, the place was full and the men were all dressed with sport coats and ties.

Debw858
Username: Debw858

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Eastland quite well. When I was in Junior High I would go to Hughes & Hatchers and put Levis in lay-a-way with my babysitting money.
I also remember Zodeens clothing store that had 2 levels. When I got engaged to my high school sweetheart, we bought our wedding rings at Meyer Jewelry Store. What wonderful memories!!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every aunt and uncle i have from both sides of the fam worked at Eastland Big Boy

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does anyone remember when Joe Dimaggio was signing autographs at Eastland? I was there !"

So was I.. but the line was too long and my mom wouldn't let me wait. Tough break for a 13 year old! I still wish I got that autograph.

Anybody remember other celebs at Eastland? My mom dragged me to see Sophia Loren at Hudson's. And my buddy Max Carey and I met Miss America in the late '80s.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70's, my friend's mom worked at the watch repair shop in the Concourse of Hudson's. We spent whole Saturdays exploring the mall. One day we found the giant storage closet where Hudson's kept their mannequins, and it was dark and spooky. We used to like to go to Mary Jane Shoes because they had a FREE jukebox in what was sort of a "teen alcove" in the back. When we got snacks it was either a frozen banana or hot pretzel w/mustard.
Because of my friend's mom being an employee, one year the two of us were recruited to help with an Easter promotion. We were about 13 and we were given the job to hand out Easter coloring books & crayons and we wore SATIN BUNNY SUITS. Don't even picture anything like a Playboy Bunny; these were not at all revealing, more like jumpsuits. The funniest part was they did have giant papier-mache rabbits heads to go with the ensembles and my friend tried hers out...man, the little toddlers screamed when they saw that head! She took it off right away and we wore some satin hats instead.
I still like to tell people I worked as a bunny, and just leave it at that.

(Message edited by elimarr on October 11, 2007)

(Message edited by elimarr on October 11, 2007)

Elimarr

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Kathinozarks, on her June "shoplifting" post above,

"It's embarrassing how much I cried in his office. I was a mess compared to the two girls who I passed waiting for the police or whatever. They looked like hardened criminals to me. They could've cared less, meanwhile my whole life was coming to an end! Mom was going to KILL ME!"

Kath, coincidentally, my friend and I (not my hard-working bunny-friend already mentioned above) also got busted shoplifting some clothing at Hudson's and this is the WEIRD PART: The store detectives took us into a room, but in the outer room we could see TWO other girls who also were caught stealing and they were crying their heads off. My friend and I knew we would not be reduced to blubbering like that, no way, no how. Well, WE got taken to the Harper Woods police department and our parents had to come and get us there. Afterward, we wondered if it would have been in our best interest to squeeze out a few tears.

Maybe this incident is a miracle coincidence... Did you also have a partner in crime that day? I can't pinpoint the year but our incident would have been 1971-73 thereabouts.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 986
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Elimarr I finally found this post:-)

OMG, I never even thought that because I was so upset that they were easy on me, but maybe that's why when he called my mother to pick me up and she didn't answer he gave me his card and sternly told me to tell my mom to call him after I told her what I'd done. I called her from a mall telephone crying, "come pick us up I was caught shoplifting", she was horrified and mad as hell at me. She called him, I was grounded for a month and knew I was not the criminal type.

Yes, I had a partner in crime, but it wasn't her that did the swiping. Costume jewelry on the glass display case(basement level). Place sweatshirt over items, pick up sweatshirt with jewelry inside. A fool-proof plan if it wasn't for those meddling undercover security guys. The year was 1975 or 76.
If I would've been taken to the police station I would have had a stroke. Thanks for sharing your story!

Elimarr

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath,
By '75, my crime spree had ended and I had turned over a new leaf; so my friend and I were not the "hardened criminals" of your story. (Stranger coincidences HAVE happened to me, so I just had to ask.)
Just thinking back about Eastland Center, almost makes me want to go shopping AND I HATE SHOPPING! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: