Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Old Photo XLII - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recognize this odd looking building?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe this is/was a house in Grosse Pointe Shores on Lochmoor Drive about 10 houses off Lakeshore. I can't remember the name of the house, but I fairly sure its now been razed and rebuilt w/ a more generic looking McMansion.

Seem to recall hearing that they had nothing but constant water & roof leak troubles which may have led to it's demise.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West Side, Palmer Woods? Grandmont maybe?

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 380
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

outer drive? eastside

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 566
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like a house that used to be down the road from us when we lived in EEV...Outer Drive? Whittier? i want to say Outer Drive...

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does kind of look like that house right on the corner of outer drive and chandler park.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 821
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very cool example of Art Moderne architecture. There are not many of these in Detroit because the style was primarily built in the 1930's when the Depression brought much housing expansion to a standstill. Detroit was particularly hardhit. Some other areas of the country less so, and the style is more common. Also, the flat roof design was not particularly well suited to Michigan winters.

I would speculate that this house is in Detroit, not the Grosse Pointes. There's a telephone pole at the curb in the picture. That's not very common in the Grosse Pointes.

Also, can anybody find the front door for this house?

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks familiar to me as well, so it must be Northeast Detroit,
Outer Drive would be my guess as well.
Just before Lasher Road.
Looks really familiar, and I'm pretty sure it's on Outer Drive.
Koko

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The attached garage is very uncommon for Detroit. It looks like the one on OD on the east side to me.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like WEST Outer Drive. There is a couple of houses like this: one east of the Southfield. The other west of Livernois.

Swingline

Post Number: 822
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are two very much re-muddled examples of this style on the east side on Chandler Park Drive. One is at Whittier and the other is at Cadieux. Neither are the house in the picture.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, it sure looks familiar and since I lived in the Redford area I'm going with the WEST Outer Drive guess!!!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason I'm thinking Oakman/Warren Avenue.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outer Drive/Whittier/Chandler Park Dr. Thank You. That house is still there. LAst I checked, the owner was renovating it. It looks like a Summer home somewhere in Florida or California though.

(Message edited by Urbanize on May 22, 2007)

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a pic of the Whitter/Chandler Park house
i dont think its that one, as position of the house/garage dosent fit the picture...same style though

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it sure don't look like Van Dyke, for a change...... :-)

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a house very similar to this one in Birmingham, but I think it's a modern attempt at a Moderne.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know where it is but it has some close relatives here in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 931
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McNichols between Livernois and Woodward has a house that looks a little like that. With that California/Miami look, I'd say Westside Detroit.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am pretty sure that house is located on the northeast corner of Cadieux and Chandler Park Drive or very close to that vicinity. Nice rare piece of Art Moderne to Swingline's point.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if that is the one on Chandler Park Drive and Cadieux I think and could be wrong that it belonged to Mr. McCormick a teacher at Denby...but then again I also could be having a senior moment

Ookpik

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I flipped the negative as I am unsure how it is supposed to be.

Ookpik

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This house is at E. Outer Dr, and Chandler Park Drive. Drove past it on Monday, and it is currently under renovation. Pic tomorrow. NEXT!

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks a lot like the house my friend lived in on Pemberton in Grosse Pointe Park. If I remember correctly it was on the corner of Pemberton & Avondale.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think it is the one on Whittier/CPD/OD too. Used to drive by there almost every day outta GPP to go to work.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it isn't the one at E Outer Drive and Whittier. That one has a semi-circular front room while this one is more of a rounded rectangle. Also, it has a smaller garage than this one.

There are a few of these along Outer Drive although some have been significantly remodeled:

I thought this one at Rutherford could be it, but the direction of the shadows and the style of the house behind doesn't match the original picture:

I think there is one somewhere in the neighborhood centered on Chalmers between E Jefferson and the river. The one on Pemberton is another good possibility.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corner of OuterDrive and Waveny. Between Mack and E.Warren.

Mikem

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it!

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have it!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to remuddle Eastsiders above. Gee lets put Canyon Stone over the Stucco, or Aluminum Siding.

Chalu64

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has wood siding covering it now. I believe it was done in the early 80s after the family who had lived there for years moved out.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer, Mr. Belvedere taught me it is called Kenyan Stone, I figured it must be imported from Kenya. :-)

Mikem

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those pictures I posted were all west side, but the ones on the eastside are just as bad. The one at Whittier has been undergoing renovation for a long time, and I don't think it's going to be a happy ending.

Chalu64

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik,
Where did that photo come from? Would love a jpeg to send to the family who originally lived there.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waveny and OD? Are you sure? If the original pic is accurate, then MAYBE, but oopik said the negative was flipped, and thus I don't think its possible (if the 2nd photo is accurate)

Waveny and OD: http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1zvfx82p0p8&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5633589&encType=1

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the house on Chandler park used to blow my mind as a kid

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81, that's the house! Ookpik said he wasn't sure if he had the negative flipped or not because there were no words or any indications as to which side was right. Now if you look at the building (another garage?) next to the house in the original picture, you see a distinctive roof slope which is the same in the link you provided. So the white house is now brown. Even the telephone poles are still there.

(Message edited by Catman_Dude on May 23, 2007)

Ookpik

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Chalu64! Cool pix MikeM! I had no idea houses like this existed in Michigan.

Chalu64 - The photo, actually a negative, is from my personal collection.

Ookpik

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Lord!
Is this the worst taste in the World?
Art Deco/Bau House to plastic siding AND Canyon Stone?
I used to love that house, now I hate it.
Why not just paint it orange, and put a gnome in the front yard.
"Give him his dignity back!"
And why is it that every time Detroit changes for the worse, I like Detroit a little bit less.
Regards,
Koko

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a simular Art Moderne house in Redford township, one block east of Beech-Daly between 5 and 6 mile roads. Not quite as large as the house in this picture.

I do hope there is a special room in hell for the owner who thought the plastic siding and canyon stone was an improvement.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has any good come out of the use of Aluminum as a house building material?

Swingline

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Those west side remuddlings are amazingly bad. After the vinyl siding contractor finished the house that is in the last two pictures, is it even possible that the owner stood on the sidewalk and expressed satisfaction over the fabulous new improvements? Oh well, no more worries about painting though, right?

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7560
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman said: "I do hope there is a special room in hell for the owner who thought the plastic siding and canyon stone was an improvement."

Even if there is, you must remember: those owners "have no fear with Belvedere."

56packman

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr.Belevdere

Call Tyler 87100

(Message edited by 56packman on May 23, 2007)

Mikem

Post Number: 3324
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Gawd--1977 struck there. If it weren't for all of those pesky contours they could have really gone '77 and oriented the boards diagonally. Someone from here went to California in the mid seventies, around Marin county and saw that "look" and brought it back here. ONe big problem: we have these real long, miserable winters that eat that wood alive.
Someone please buy this and fix it!

then again, the inside is probably equally as re-muddled.

Chalu64

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots, Mike.

Any idea which ColdwellBanker office was listing this property? Would love to see some interior shots.

Mikem

Post Number: 3326
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schweitzer

Ookpik

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pix Mike!

Then:

Now:

Looks like the telephone pole in front is the same one!

Ookpik

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to live down the block from that Outer Drive/Waveney house when i was a small child. it looks like they stained or painted that wood exterior since then. ick.
i still feel very strongly that that white house is the one at Whittier and Chandler Park. i always remembered that house because it was so different, and i remember it from the same period as the Waveney/OD house, which also always stood out as well for its wooden exterior. there was a similar white house to the one in the photo next door to us at Outer Drive and Wallingford. not convinced the two pictured are the same house.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original architecture is not unattractive, although it does look a tad like some doctor's office or the like. However, buildings with flat roofs are nothing but maintenance nightmares. They all leak and need constant attention.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I got scooped. I took the same pics as Mikem today, but no sense in being redundant, or being redundant.
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_56 93.jpg?t=1179961625
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_56 91.jpg?t=1179961693
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_56 90.jpg?t=1179961723
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_56 85.jpg?t=11799617

Ookpik

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pix Bullet! Thanks for taking the time to take them! :-)

That wood "siding" is ugly.

Ookpik

Ray1936

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOkpik for Governor. Bullet for Lt. Governor. Mikem for President.

Things would be much better.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ook, I bet ya under the siding is some pretty bad stucco. Thanks Ray1936, and good work again one and all on Ookpics photo chase.
BTW, is this style called "Modern"?

56packman

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Art moderne"with an "e" at the end--sometimes erroneously called Art Deco.

Chalu64

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superraygun, that is the same house, the white one. I played for hours in the middle of Waveny to the side of the home, not to mention played on the driveway of that house.

I tried to find the house on realtor.com to see if they had any interior pics. MikeM/BMagnet, any idea which ColdwellBanker office was listing the home? It almost looks empty.

Mikem

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schweitzer
http://www.cbschweitzer.com/

Dominic_kingfish
Username: Dominic_kingfish

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original photo shows a manhole cover about in the middle of Waveney near that house. The later photo's do not show it. Any speculations on what happened to the manhole/cover ?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 502
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that too. I think it may be an oil stain, or a hole filled with cold patch.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The house at Waveney and Outer Drive is indeed empty. This house has been on the market for about 2 years. I remember when we were looking for a house this one was listed at 175.000. I wonder if it's in foreclosure now?

There were pictures of the interior when it was originally listed, and I remember it being modern but not horribly remodeled.

Swingline

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That stretch of Outer Drive has many beautiful homes. Prices don't get much above $200K even for the nicest ones. An exterior restoration of the home discussed in this thread would cost at least $75K (including the windows). Unless it can be bought at a huge discount to facilitate a renovation, or a buyer can be found who wants to live there in its remuddled condition, things do not bode well for a sale. It's too bad.

If this home were located in a historic district, it would have a much brighter future. Michigan's historic rehab tax credit program would make a renovation much less expensive.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had one of these on Davis street in Birmingham. They demolished it several years ago. Theyve filled that area up with brand new houses that do not fit onto their lot, and most the old ones are gone. I'm glad to see a few of these houses are still standing in S/E Michigan. I bet their far more solid than half of these new houses in terms of build quality.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: