Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Found this on Craigslist. (Lost items) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 469
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expandable file binders, red and blue, containing students' poetry
Reply to: comm-308373836@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-04-08, 8:16PM EDT

Hi. My car was broken into Friday in Detroit near the Magic Stick, and several items were taken. The item most upsetting and irreplacable is a pair of expandable binders (shiny thick paper type), velcro closure, one blue and one red. I'm a poetry teacher, and the files contain the original poetry of my elementary and middle school students at Randolph School in Chicago (one binder was nearly empty, but the other had large stacks of handwritten student poetry). I'm just devestated to have lost this material, that we have been collecting since the fall. If you have any information, please contact me by phone or e-mail: 773-780-1847. Thank you.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is pretty sad. I hope he gets his students' work back, although it probably ended up in a dumpster somewhere. Thieves might have thought the folder contained old bills, hoping to get some credit card numbers and when it was just a folder of poetry, they ditched it.

Stephenvb
Username: Stephenvb

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend had her car broken into at Ann Arbor and her job related social work files and job search materials/resumes were stolen.

The social work files turned up a few days later in Green Oak Township apparently discarded at the roadside. A couple years later a new Social Worker at my girlfriends clinic recognized her name told here how she also found (fishy?) the job search materials/resume and was using them to help her get a job. She returned everything.

I wouldn't have bet money on her getting her stolen items back. It's rare, but sometimes things work out...

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not excusing the criminals in any way, but why do people leave their car unattended with items of that importance in them? Like the court reporter a couple of weeks ago that left the only copies of important trials in her car. What was she thinking?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

u think it is unreasonable to leave a portfolio of poems in your vehicle?????? Thats ridiculous. I suppose in Detroit though there is no expectation of safety....

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 999
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about any other teachers but when I am on an "away from home" vacation, the last thing I want is to see students' work!

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I leave stuff in my car all the time and don't usually lock the doors; hell some times I leave the keys in the ignition. In the 12 years I've been driving I'v only had my vehicle broken into one time and that was while I was living in Florida. They took the change out of my ashtray, a payroll check (In my name which was useless to them) and a cooler out of the back seat. The cars next to me all had their windows broken out, they just opened my door =).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.