Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Jobs at Eastern Market? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lylegun
Username: Lylegun

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need money. I know it's not the most unique problem to have, but I do have it and need some info.

Does anyone out there know if any businesses or sellers down at Eastern Market pick up workers for extra help on Saturdays? Ideally, I'd show up at 4 or 5am, find a seller who needs another hand for general labor, work through the day, get a few ducats and be on my way. It seems like such a thing would happen all the time down there given the nature of the outdoor market, but I'd rather know for sure before I go down and wander aimlessly looking for some work.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no clue but think it would be worth the effort to visit and see....

regards

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5190
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might go down there dressed nice in working clothes and clean, asking around. You might go during mid-afternoon when there's no rush in the market.

Your idea here would be for future days, when you can get up and be guaranteed some work. Nosing around at break of dawn when guys are busy is no time to look for work. By that time, the owners are probably set for that day.

jjaba.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend that is a farmer. He sells wholesale there during the week in the summer. He has a local "helper" everyday. Typically, he hires that person at the beginning of the season and the person returns daily. The helper drives his hi-lo or pushes a cart to deliver produce to awaiting trucks. Some times the person is a no-show so he has to find another. My point is...I think the same would apply on Saturdays. Once you find a vendor to hire you, you need to be dependable and show up every week. They don't have time to look for and train some one new each week. If my friend has a good helper, he stays in contact with him over the winter to make sure he is available for the next summer. There is also a network there. Many farmers find their helpers by asking other farmer's helpers if they know anyone looking for work. If you already know someone doing this on Saturdays, that might be the best place to start.

Lylegun
Username: Lylegun

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the help. Some good info I didn't even consider.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Want to dig a foundation hole for a shed?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3308
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's some jobs a bit further east:

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/ internationaljobs/a/iraqjobs.h tm

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4205
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya k now, with the shiatty MI economy, some of those jobs probably dont look that bad to someone that just got laid off.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 956
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious Lylegun to find out how all this actually turned out. What is the word?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at that fish market on Russell by the Chase branch off and on, on Saturdays when I was in college. Busy day for them with the walk ins and getting fish to restaurants.

I cannot remember thier name, but they were good to work for.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.