Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » What is different about the DetroitYES Forums « Previous Next »
Forum DownhillMortalman04-01-07  6:40 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been viewing this website for sometime now but decided just recently to not just view but to participate in this slice of life about something so near and dear to my heart -- DETROIT. But, I have noticed a shift in the ebb and flow of this FORUM and I wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else has noticed this shift, too. I would like to hear what others think and at the same time I will try to articulate in more concrete terms what I mean for myself and for the discussion on this thread. Thanks for listening and I hope to hear what you think and feel about this topic.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But, I have noticed a shift in the ebb and flow of this FORUM and I wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else has noticed this shift, too.

You mean the recent influx of people who can't spell? Of course the loss of ItsJeff lowered the quality of the forum also.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, good question! I'd like to hear your opinion.

To me it seems the traffic here has increased quite a bit recently. It's become difficult to keep up with all the posts. The increase in traffic seemed to coincide with the birth of the newsletter. Occasionally Lowell posts forum statistics. It will be interesting to see those next time they appear.

Mortalman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess my perception is that this FORUM use to be a lot more balanced between thinking and feeling. Now, it seems like it's mostly thinking and dealing with a more or less objective reality. Not that there is anything wrong with knowing exactly where a picture on the west side was taken on June 6, 1945 at 12:00 Noon. There is real value in that but I see value in feelings and emotions along with the thinking part of our humanity. I think that often feelings and emotions are the triggers for thoughts. Back to you. What do you think or feel, Jimaz?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this thread is a good example of what is different. The best threads on here are the ones where actual information is shared instead of just opinions. I actually very much enjoy watching some of our history experts identify a random picture from the past. I also love when people post pictures showing us the progress on a downtown project. I like when people who are privy to good information because of where they work share things with us before everyone else knows. I like when someone finds a good news story about Detroit and posts it here to share with us.

Well, there you go, a post full of my opinions and no hard fact. Hey, there's really nothing wrong with that at all, but I do like a good balance.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha!
quote:

What do you think or feel, Jimaz?

I feel that question is too general to answer but I think this answer creates an Epimenides paradox.

Seriously, I hadn't noticed this thinking/feeling imbalance you mentioned. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll watch for it.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed some changes in this forum, some good and some bad. The good is in the fact that many of the people who were notorious for name calling have left for the most part. Because those folks are gone or to avoid having to deal with those types, many of the new posts aren't as volatile as those in the past. Well, at least not on the Discuss Detroit side.

The bad is that some of the new posts are retreads of old posts. If you've been here for over two years like I have, then you've seen discussions on what to do with Tiger Stadium, the train station(MCD), and the Hudson's site a zillion times. I'm not faulting the new folks, but it does get old to see those topics come up time and time again.

Another problem I see of late is that too many threads are too nostalgic. I don't mind reminiscing about Detroit, but now someone has a thread called "Remembering Belle Isle." Every time I see it I keep thinking that Belle Isle died.

I'm concerned when too many threads about the past keep coming up. That says that there aren't enough current topics to talk about, or people don't want to face the reality that Detroit is in, so they want to go back in time. Like the clown on Seinfeld said to George, "You're living in the past, man."

Also, keeping with what I said about the nostalgic threads, folks don't seem to want to contribute to threads that are currently listed. Instead of commenting on what is already there, folks want to start totally new threads. One of the reasons you can't keep up with the threads, Mortalman, is because of this fact. Folks don't see what they like or would like to comment on, they just start a brand new thread. In addition, some folks start new threads without scrolling down far enough to see if it has already been talked about.

Evolution happens. I can only imagine what forumers who have been on this forum since its inception must feel. I can also understand why so many of those folks have left. When you beat a dead horse to death so many times, it's still not going to get up and run away, but that's life.

(Message edited by royce on March 31, 2007)

Mortalman

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamiz, you said, "Mortalman, good question! I'd like to hear your opinion." I gave you my opinion and you come back with, "I feel that question is too general to answer but I think this answer creates an Epimenides paradox." What I want to say is, How does that kind of statement engender a give and take discussion? Is that your welcome to a new member?

Jimaz

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One of the reasons you can't keep up with the threads, Mortalman, is because ...

For the record, I was the one who couldn't keep up. I can cope with it though.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce said: "I'm concerned when too many threads about the past keep coming up."

Ray1936 says: "Young people talk about the future because they have no past. Old people talk about the past because they have no future.

Ray1936 is an old fart. Mrs. Ray1936 will be glad to confirm that.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, sorry if you took offense. Please note that I also expressed gratitude for your point of view.

Welcome!

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 486
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Problem is about old threads is that, the Middle and Old Head forumers attack those (particularly Eric) who bring up threads at the bottom of the thing because it's outdated. The person couldn't help if they just noticed it, and it may interests them and they want to talk about it without starting new threads. That attack must stop also in my opinion.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because I No longer live in Detroit (Like so many others here),I will avoid telling anyone how the City should be run. But I still care.

I am Definitely one of the posters who LOVES to remember the Past in Detroit and I enjoy all the Threads that Do Remember the Past.

That's good stuff in the HOF, But it can't get there until after it is Born here.

If it is a concern that Topics are not current enough for DetroitYES.
Then perhaps Lowell could start another Great site and call it DetroitWAS.

When someone starts a Thread,No one can be sure where it might end.
Along the way it can spinoff to any number of topics, and that may be the reason for Some of the new threads with "Like" themes?

On the "Remembering Belle Isle."thread, Conversation went to Dogwood Blooms. I just so happened to have taken a pic of my Dogwoods just the day before and wanted to share it.
But I (with only 12 yrs of Internet under my belt lol) Still felt uneasy about posting a pic that Didn't have a Direct tie to Belle Isle, But I sure wasn't about to start a New Thread just to add to what was already being Discussed about Dogwoods.

Some may enjoy it, while others wonder why?

I'm not sure that anybody would leave this Forum because of things like that, But more because they just need a Break for awhile.
Anything you do too often will become tiresome

But the common thing we all have is the Desire to Learn more of Past, Present, and Future of Detroit and it's People !

Urbanize

Post Number: 490
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But I (with only 12 yrs of Internet under my belt lol)"

Isn't that when the internet really debuted anyway? Everyone should have no more than 15 years of internet experience.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct Urbanize.
That was my point, even after all these years - I'm still learning Forum etiquette

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been a reader for a while and a poster for a short while, so take this for what it's worth...

I feel that the quality of the threads here have eroded. The pictures and jokes and history are entertaining, but it seems to me that there's a growing trend toward snarkyness and name-calling. My biggest shock and then disappointment is the unwillingness of many to argue. Bickering and sloganeering seems to be all the higher that many posters seem to be able to rise, and smart people with differing viewpoints are hard to find. I'm a student and a number of the conversations I've tried to join here remind me of drunken high school arguments over favorite bands or teams, and not give-take exchanges between thinking adults. I think that anyone hoping for a debate like you'd have after an interesting seminar will be let down with the quality of most of the threads here. An example: read a thread addressing government or foreign policy and within the first few posts someone who sounds like a member of the Democratic party's goon squad will pop up with an unattributed "quote" or insulting one-liner. I've sat drinking in union halls with the bluest of blue-collars and heard broader minded conversations, and maybe that's the problem with forums like this. Maybe these work best as rallying points for the faithful, but not so much for people who go smiling into an argument because they want to learn and have open minds to accompany their opinions. Because we're nameless and faceless there may a mental "pass" to forget what it means to be civil and broad-minded. I'm happy to trade views with those opposite me (people in my classes can attest) but, damnit, it's hard to enjoy reading and weighing when, so often, you'll learn nothing because you're opposite a fool, an automaton, or an ideologue. Maybe the best way to get what I'm describing is to take a class - at least then everyone has a stake because they're paying money.

Mortalman

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are all learning Ragtoplover59. Some of the lessons come bitingly quick and others over time. I think the best we can do is follow our own hearts and let others do the same. I for one am glad to hear about Belle Isle in any new or old thread. And, those that are interested can participate and those that are not interested can participate, too. They will anyway!

Mortalman

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo, Craig! That's where I was going when I started this thread that there use to be many more people that were ready to challenge a point of view but I don't see that anymore. What I see is mean-spirited and biting criticism that is usually done in a one sentence loosely veiled pseudo-intellectual attack. I figure out who those people are quickly and never engage them again.

Craig

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman - my new pal...

I think that the neo-cons had a great plan when they pushed for the invasion of Iraq... let's have it out someday and you can tell me where I'm wrong.

Mortalman

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I went to NYC for business and had a chance to socialize at some of the great bookstores there there was always good natured but lively discussions about things. Debate is the cornerstone of our legal and political system. Let's pray that it does not get bullied out of our system and/or culture.

Urbanize

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, you post three things on the same subject using up discussion space. That is a big problem in today's DetroitYes forums also, multiple posts over the same points.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kukla, Fran and Ollie!

Urbanize

Post Number: 496
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/98612.html?1175388567

That Forum proves how downhill the Forums have gone. The folks (expect two other people) are doing nothing but posting ignorant jokes on there.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Royce (and others) about the posting of multiple threads of same or similar topics. Man, people just scroll down sometimes! Chances are, a certain topic has already been posted, and a thread exists. During the initial Tara Grant frenzy, there were 3 threads going at the same time.
I'm a new poster here, (though I've followed the discussion on and off since early '04) but I realize that this forum has some "age" to it now... And many topics have been covered ad nauseum.. My own personal bit: I wanted to know about the Stott building, but since I already knew that it was one of the old skyscrapers in town, I had the foresight to check out the archives or the hall of fame for reference, so BINGO! found an old discussion, my questions were for the most part, answered. No need for me to open a thread, and tweak the ire of this site's oldtimers! Like I said, this site is getting long in the tooth-- So just scroll down, check the hall of fame, etc... First!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd agree, no debates, just name calling. About half of my posts are put out there simply to stir up debate. Those posts in particular I am lambasted. I'm pretty thick skinned, but it gets tiring to hear I am wrong, without any explanation or thought behind why.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 670
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope I haven't offended you too much DP, if I have at all. It does get tiring lambasting/getting lambasted for posting certain things. I do actually try not to name call here (whether I succeed is up to you).

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually you put up reasonable arguments. What I don't like are folks who assume things such as anything that deviates from a prescribed notion or perception of what the utopian city is, is a cry for the support of sprawl. Sprawl in itself is a hard to characterize term because yesterday's sprawl is todays Corktown or Royal Oak. If thats sprawl, whats wrong with it?

Scs100

Post Number: 672
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A compliment? Thanks :-)

I try to avoid Utopian stuff after a bad experience with Utopia in World History this year. In itself, sprawl is what you stated, hard to characterize. My definition of sprawl would be a nonstop city from Portland, Maine to Tampa. No easy way of getting around that, I hope.

I sincerely hope that that wouldn't happen.

Scs100

Post Number: 683
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reason, threads that are put up that sound true, but turn out to be jokes.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people with the real information, the ones who actually know what is going on have left. Only the yapping children remain.

Mortalman

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I don't understand is this. If there are old timers on this Forum that get sick and tired of the same topics showing up then why do they feel compelled to participate in those threads? If they don't like certain topics then start other threads that they do like. Look, there is nothing new under the sun! All knowledge has existed in the past in some way and some time. Now, the only thing different when it comes to this knowledge is new people that are tryng to become privy to this knowledge. So, along with the getting of this knowledge by these new people that are being criticized by some old timers that have issues other than the thread, the knowledge, etc. maybe this newbies will learn some tolerance and the next set of newbies won't have to listen to the yammering and yakking of the intolerant crowd. :-)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 929
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...issues other than the thread..."

Yeah, that just about describes me. :-)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 760
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old timers are aware that this Forum contains content that took thousands of freely-volunteered hours to prepare and post. Why should they have to do a search and repeat themselves - or worse yet, why should someone else go to the trouble to duplicate their efforts - when all that is needed is for the newcomer to use the "Search Site" link before posting a new thread.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4008
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I don't agree Ndavies, there are still some knowledgable old farts still here! :-)

Royce, I agree with everything that you said, except the nostalgia threads. There were a whole slew of far east side threads here over the last year, and as a far eastsider, I learned a lot of things that I always took for granted, such as why some streets have such a strange route, and then there's the French Ribbon farms.

I re-learned a lot from these posts that I had simply forgotten over the last 40 years.

And the Belle Isle thread had some ugly twists and turns, but the post cards shown on that thread are well worth reading thru all the name calling.

One other item... don't think that the Forum somehow has more meanness now than it did before. Things get nasty around here in waves... back during the last Mayoral election, we had some really nasty periods around here.

There was never a period of genteel behavior on this forum. People have been giving each other Ad Hominem attacks for the last 7 years that I have been on here.

And even with the grammar and punctuation, that has always been a problem... only thing now is that with spell checking now on this Forum.. there's no longer any excuse for "teh" instead of "the"... but it appears that folks don't seem to always bother with checking their spelling, or they're to "buzzed" to care!

Ooppps, "teh" doesn't flag on the spell checker... and yet "teh" is not in my Webster's Unabridged Dictionary...

Paging Lowell........ time to file a trouble ticket with Spell Checker... :-)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a n00b, I can’t attest to any changes here. All I know is the knowledge here is boundless, and for that I'm grateful. I like all blasts from the past, even though I can see how it would drive old timers nuts. If you think this Forum is crappy for the reasons stated above, you really need to check out other forums like IMDB and such! Any way, I'm glad to be here, if nothing more then to raise the bar. Muhahahah,lol,hahahah...no, really...

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 478
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, I am a horrible speller, I admit it. But all that spell check does is highlight the misspelled word. Doesnt help me, cause if I knew how to spell it right, I would.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

when all that is needed is for the newcomer to use the "Search Site" link before posting a new thread.

Maybe the Mods can add this suggestion to the FAQ.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8794
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a big issue is that there seems to be a recent influx of people that don't want to discuss Detroit but more bash Detroit, reminisce about how it used to be and belittle the work that many are doing to make the city better.

What is often lost is that the people that live in Detroit know there are many issues and would prefer discussion of solutions as opposed to the ideas of why Detroit sucks, how it used to be and the general theme of 'you people make it better so I can enjoy the city more for a Tigers game.'

I admit I am a complete jerk on many threads but people have lost sight that they are often speaking about a city that many of us work to improve everyday. I think that it reflects a general attitude of SE Michigan where people feel it is unacceptable for anyone to criticize their home/city but it is perfectly acceptable in their minds to come here and spread misinformation and non-sense.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4011
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, you can get a little coarse at times, but your heart is in the right place... :-)

Mortalman

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok all very well said! :-)

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As to spelling, download the Google toolbar, click on the "extra goodies" thingies and install their spell-checker-- Not only does it highlight likely misspellings, it gives you the likely correct word as well...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5129
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59 invented the internet although I know I did.

Welcome to the forum, Mortalman. It takes guts to start a threrad like this.

Signed: Al Gore, Westside inventor.

Mortalman

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Jjaba! It is nice to be welcomed especially by you.

As I have said I have been monitoring for a long time. So, rather than be a spectator I thought I would put my armor on and fortify my keister (did I spell that right because that word’s not in the spell check?) so to speak and dive in head first. It’s been fun so far and most everyone has been acting in character which is reassuring because there are no surprises that way.

Jjaba, I would have loved to have been in one of your classes. It would have been great fun? :-) I did get that right didn't I that you were a college professor at one time?

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first became interested in Detroit, my Mother and Father-in-law would tell me about all the great things about Detroit in the 30's to 60's. By looking at the old pics of things long gone I became pissed at what was lost.

I like reading about the past. Although you can't go back, you can see what a lively complex, and interesting city Detroit was and is still.

I can see why new, similar threads are started. It's mostly an attempt to get back on topic when it has been thread jacked or name calling arguments.

I do like debates that are respectful, and chock full of facts. I have learned a lot about a wide variety of subjects and I hope that I have contributed worthwhile info also.

I also find interesting the new ideas that come to light from those of us who do not carry the baggage of the past.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3757
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, welcome to the forum.

Another thing that drives old timers nutz and, heh, the mods is posting discussions ~about~ the forum, like this one, in the Discuss Detroit forum. They belong over here as they are not, per se, about Detroit. :-)

As for repetition of past discussion by newbies, I have managed a number of message boards over the years and it is just something that happens. There is no stopping it and it is innocent. This thread, BTW, is a redux in at least its fifth version over the eight year life of this forum. So yaaawn.

It is often intimidating enough for someone to start posting, so rather than berate them, a 'welcome to the forum' and some gentle guidance goes a long way. Over time everyone, oldtimers included, make their gaffes and many who stumble in their early attempts go on to become outstanding posters.

Regarding thread duplication, as has happened in this case, we consolidate them when we catch them, the later thread being inserted into the earlier. If you see this happening please click the HELP link at the top to inform the mods to make the consolidation.

Regarding any name calling, it along with needling and trivial posts, are regularly trashed when discovered. [Post in response or context to the ugliness are also removed otherwise their hanging reference is left.] Posters who repeat such posts will find their accounts terminated without explantation. This is all stated clearly in the conditions everyone is bound to. If there is any name-calling that goes unnoticed report it to the mods via the HELP link and it will be addressed.

As for the forum going up or downhill, that is a matter of opinion. Everyone who applies to post here is accepted. This isn't Harvard so the bad comes with the good. Neither is anyone's arm twisted to read or post here.

FYI, good or bad, the forum is averaging over 10000 visitor sessions a day now, up almost 100% over this time last year.

Personally, I greatly enjoy all aspects of this forum. One day I was looking at the skyline of Detroit and I realized that because of this forum, I could name all the buildings, something that I could have only done with maybe 25% before I started reading here. I think I have learned 90% of what I know about our international metropolis as a result of this forum. So I send out a big personal thanks to all of you for making my knowledge greater and life better.

Craig

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell - first, thanks for the service that you provide. But aside from the big numbers and the cool trivia, what do you think when you read threads where slogans pop up before any real thoughts are exchanged? Sometimes these threads feel like hateful neighbors who go from rest to red-faced screaming over the back fence in under three seconds. Where are the thinking people respectfully trading data and opinions. Is this as good as it will get?

Jimaz

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where are the thinking people respectfully trading data and opinions.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about feeling rather than thinking. Which is it? I'd be comfortable with either but the rules on this thread seem to, too conveniently, shift depending on who are the participants.

Are we supposed to restrict our conversations to "bellyfeel" here, in this thread, (as in the novel 1984) or not?

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 02, 2007)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5138
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, how many "mods" are there? The last time I checked, it was you and a Canadian (going unnamed.)

10,000 messages a day is amazing. That's a lot to censor and control. You've done all of us a great service. We all learn every time we read a thread.

As a tribute to the quality of members, jjaba's trivia contests have been smoothly as of late.
There's hardly any acrimony. Perhaps with The Rock, lawyer, covering my ass, it really helps.

jjaba.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3758
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa jjaba, that's 10,000 user sessions [visitors] jjaba not posts. If they were to all post this forum grind to a halt. Thank goodness for lurkers.

There are other mods, whose identity and number shall remain anonymous, but the buck stops here.

Craig, there is a tendency for wise-cracking and a little levity will always be here. Sometimes it is amusing, sometimes annoying. Sometimes if gets tossed if it distracts from a quality thread, mostly it gets ignored. After you have been around a while you learn to skip past the chatter and get to the substance.

The only thing I will guarantee is that the forum will never be perfect or to everybody's satisfaction. It is what it is and everybody has to take it or leave it at that.

Urbanize

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lowell, how many "mods" are there? The last time I checked, it was you and a Canadian (going unnamed.)"

I know the other mod (going unnamed).

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 06, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.