Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Rum & Vodka « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8553
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caught this excellent one-man play at Abreact last night, tonight is the closing night...so if anyone wants shelter from the amateur drinkers, it might be fun to see this play about a tortured Irish soul and his chosen escape from the pressures of life.

Made me feel somewhat normal.

Twelve steppers need not apply, you will be in a full-body flinch throughout. This is your only warning.

Funny, poignant, deeply sad...but powerfully performed by Eric Maher.

8 p.m., final show TONIGHT, sorry for the late notice...falling down on the job.

Abreact Theater's Website with contact information, call before going down to insure seating. It was a full house...even Jen House was there. Overheard someone say it was like a re-union last night, and I recognized more than a few of the excellent local actors in the crowd before the performance.

A great way to cure yourself from over-imbibing for the rest of St. Paddy's Day! Hope this comes back next year...

Cheers!

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm sad that i am just now seeing this!

sidenote: jen house is fabulous!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8560
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her one-act was the ONLY other one I'd ever witnessed, and although I was BLOWN AWAY by her 'Whose House?', I was a wee bit anxious dropping in on this play...especially since even the title seemed to glorify alcohol. Luckily, from that, it was easier to handle how the playwright amplified his EXCESSIVE drinking so.

I was wee worried halfway through that the stage liquor wasn't fake, because that pint of Guinness was obviously real...you cannot fake that consistency and bubble/foam action, which I've studied in detail for TOO long. I could not imagine Maher sticking to his lines after so much Jameson leading into that Rum & Vodka concoction.

I have NO interest in testing their recipe...but can see clearly how the descent into full-blown alcoholism can manifest!

I guess the nagging of my now-gone twelve-stepping mother still lingers within my psyche! At least she taught me what an inescapable logical loop was...if you say you aren't, you're in denial...so there is NO way anyone can NOT be an alcoholic, heh.

The play had some deeply funny moments, and some horrifying ones...all revolving around one man's self-defense of his unbelievably bad behavior. I really think Maher nailed it, for every millisecond he was on stage...I told him that anytime he sees me sitting on a barstool, he can launch that character and I'd be compelled to buy him a drink.

Hell, he might make a career out of just that!

Cheers on a sunny Sunday morning in the city...feeling lucky ol' Murphy didn't take St. Paddy's day off, because he kept me at a jobsite until eleven...I barely had time to walk across town to the Gaelic League for a couple pints before the celebration ended.

So at least MY hangover is slight...unlike our unlikely hero in Rum & Vodka!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.