Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Blight busters- where are they at? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have tried contacting them to volunteer for 2 weeks now! I have left a half dozen messages and filled out their online application 3 times and have not heard back. Are the closed for the winter? If anybody knows how to better reach them or has a name I can drop it would be much appreciated.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran into similar problems a few years ago. It just seems like they're not interested in your volunteer time unless you're part of a sizable group. If you're looking for something similar, try out Detroit Synergy's Project Clean: http://detroitsynergy.org/proj ects/clean/ or Greening of Detroit: www.greeningofdetroit.com.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are they?

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

old redford, headquarters is on lahser just north of grand river.

they may not be as busy in the winter months, but e_hemmingway is right...in general, they are very hard to get ahold of, and it does help if you have a group of people to volunteer as opposed to just one or two people.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone. I was under the impression that BB was a on going project. I guess not. As far as the synergy thing goes cleaning one street every other month sounds like polishing a turd to me. I was looking to kill about 20-30hrs a week. I don't think planting 20 trees in a year is going to accomplish that.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blight busters is an ongoing project, as i said though, they are probably slower in the winter months. once it gets warmer, they might be easier to get ahold of.

if you are looking for 20-30 hours to kill, the greening of detroit and it's other affiliated groups under the detroit garden resource program (like the detroit agriculture network) could use a ton of help, and it's more than just planting trees. http://www.detroitagriculture. org/

as far as the synergy thing goes, it's not cleaning one street every other month. and most of the people who participate in that also have full time jobs and/or go to school, so they don't have 20-30 hours a week to dedicate to that kind of work (even though some of them want to). i think every little bit helps in the whole scheme of things...and there are always gonna be naysayers.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry I came off the wrong way. Every little bit does help but BB seemed more like a complete rehab package instead of a just a street sweep. I only work 25-30hrs a week sanding floors so anything that could get me out of the house using my hands would be GREAT! For some reason when I hit 22yrs I can no longer sleep 14hrs a day and play video games. I grow restless and insane if I'm not accomplishing something.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.