Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Preservation Wayne - Volunteer Recruitment Meeting « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preservation Wayne Wants You. Love Detroit? Get Involved!

Detroit, MI—Preservation Wayne, Detroit’s oldest architectural preservation organization, is looking for people who love Detroit and want to share their passion for the city. The 2007 Season kicks off with our volunteer recruitment meeting to engage prospective tour guides for our Detroit Heritage Tour program, and others who are interested in one of our committees.

On Saturday, March 3, 2007 at 10:00 a.m. Preservation Wayne will host an informational session that describes our programs and various opportunities for involvement. The session will be held at the University of Michigan - Detroit Center, located in the Orchestra Place building, at 3663 Woodward Avenue-Suite 150, on the northwest corner of Woodward and Martin Luther King, one block south of Orchestra Hall. Look for signs to the Preservation Wayne recruitment meeting. Parking is available on the street as well as in the adjacent parking structure, located directly behind Orchestra Place, along Parsons Street. Woodward Avenue SMART and DDOT bus stops are also nearby. For more information and to RSVP, contact Preservation Wayne at 313-577-3559, through our email at info@preservationwayne.org, or visit our website at www.preservationwayne.org.

As preservation becomes more and more of a hot topic around town, opportunities for involvement abound at Preservation Wayne. Our popular Detroit Heritage Walking Tour season starts in May. If you enjoy walking and talking, volunteering as a guide may be just the right fit! Training will be provided by our experienced tour guides and will begin in April.

Are you more of a behind-the-scenes type? We are looking for experienced volunteers to get involved in our ongoing archives project. Or if you have something to say, our membership and advocacy committees want you to help us connect to stakeholders about the importance of preservation in our city. Preservation Wayne also has a presence at many events in the city throughout the year, and we need volunteers to represent us.

Preservation Wayne’s volunteers come from all over the Metropolitan Detroit area and Windsor, and are from all walks of life and age groups. The common thread is a love for Detroit and an enthusiasm for telling its rich story. Please join us and learn more about how you can become involved in promoting our great city. Representatives from each of the committees will be available at the meeting to answer any questions.

Founded in 1975, Preservation Wayne is celebrating over 30 years of promoting, preserving and protecting Detroit’s unique buildings and neighborhoods. In brief, we help to put unemployed buildings back to work and have been honored by the Michigan Historic Preservation Network and the National Trust for Historic Preservation for our many projects and programs over the years. Preservation Wayne provides tours for the general public, workshops and technical assistance for the development community and for historic building owners, lectures and classes on architectural history for students from the fourth grade through college level, and advocacy for the built environment that distinguishes and defines Detroit.

###

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of funny how PW was founded by WSU students, but feels the need to meet/name drop U of M!

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are full of helpful comments, as usual.

It's the name of the location, dillhole. Not name dropping.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we talking hands-on trade help or more of a activist/building-hugger deal?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) @ dialh4

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a dillhole? My dictionary does not have this dillhole of which you speak. I only thought that with WSU having historic buildings, an urban planning department, and that PW's mission to support WSU's (Detroit is secondary) history, it would be more appropriate. :-)

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.urbandictionary.com /define.php?term=dillhole

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I'm not totally useless!!! I make a pretty good punching bag.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we'd love to see detroitplanners too on march 3rd!

(Message edited by detourdetroit on February 24, 2007)

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I will try to make it, but can't guarantee it, I have parental issues that may take my day.

Some people can't take a joke, but subtle sarcasm is tough to do over the internet I guess.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have parental issues that may take my day.

Parents won't let you have the have the keys to the station wagon, again?

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there!

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I am going to have to spring dad from the nursing home, buy groceries, help them clean house, see if mom needs extra help due to chemo, I might have to run grandma over there. My weekends are not my own right now.

Besides I don't like driving my parent's car, its an SUV and my sedan is much more luxurious.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.