Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Who are the mods on this forum? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can someone fill me in?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 995
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell and AIW I believe.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like to consider myself pretty mod...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3642
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Teddy Boys you need to be concerned about...
quote:

The mod subculture began with a few cliques of teenage boys with family connections to the garment trade in London in 1958. These early mods were generally middle class, and were obsessed with new fashions and music styles, such as slim-cut Italian suits, modern jazz and rhythm and blues. Their all-night urban social life was fueled, in part, by amphetamines. It is a popular belief that the mods and their rivals, the rockers, both branched off from the Teddy boys, a 1950s subculture in England. The Teddy boys were influenced by American rock n' roll, wore Edwardian-style clothing, and got pompadour or quiff hairstyles.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember reading about lennon trying to be a teddy boy

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are you a mod or a rocker?"

"No, I'm a mocker."

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 951
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll pass on the quiff hairstyle.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 757
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Are you a mod or a rocker?"

"No, I'm a mocker."

A rod, if you ask me.

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a mod (erate)

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are the mods
We are the mods
We Are
We Are
We Are The Mods!

(I'm not a mod, but a Who freak who dug the album and movie 'Quadrophenia')

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4008
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zoot suit, white jacket with side vents Five inches long.

-Pete Townshend-"Cut My hair" Quadrophenia album

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh oh. I'm a total rocker (Teddy Boy). I think we're going to have to go down to the docks and sort this out old school style. You mods can pull up on your sissy Vespa Scooters blaring your Who, I'll pull up on my motorcycle blaring Eddie Cochran, and we'll get down to business.

Remember, no knives, no guns, no chains.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do see these "bike" gangs in RO with their vespas and their mod outfits. Looks kind of dorky to say the least.

A lot of people don't know this but the Who were actually rockers deep down. They took on the pretty boy mod image to sell albums.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the book "England's Dreaming" sometime. Great background on the rockers and mods.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Mod/ Scooter Club scene that a few friends were a part of more than a decade ago. There were at least two American clubs that joined an assortment of Southern Ontario clubs for runs. One guy was well known for drafting off the backs of trucks for long distances, I hope he's still alive(!)
I don't know if the scene lives on or not. The people in my age group dropped out rapidly. On the other hand, a well known 80's mod became a notorious local tough guy and MC stalwart, which I suppose is a natural progression for people who really like to booze, brawl and fix motors.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.