Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » SWEENEY TODD, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4666
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opens Feb 2 @ 8pm at The Abreact, 442 East Lafayette (over Loco & Bouzouki), Detroit 313-485-0217.

If you've never caught a performance in this combination loft/Black Box Theatre, take advantage of this run. Donation only. Beer in the kitchen or bring your own. Seats about 40 on the risers with couches, easy chairs, and other unmatched seats so reserve a seat at reservations@theabreact.com or call 313.485.0217.

Info: www.theabreact.com
and
www.myspace.com/sweeneytoddthe demonbarber

Hang out in the kitchen or the living room before or after, chat and make some new friends and watch some of the most intriguing theatre in a most intriguing venue.

Note to Gannon, a few of our favorite faces are in this cast including Molly from Cancer

Jams

Post Number: 4672
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Freep today (2/2/07}:
quote:

'Sweeney Todd'

Today may be Groundhog Day, but ground-up people are on the menu in "Sweeney Todd," Stephen Sondheim's darkly humorous musical. It opens tonight at the Abreact, Detroit's most unusual theater.

What's unusual about the Abreact is that it never charges admission. Donations are more than welcome.

The Abreact has done musicals before -- an original musical version of the movie "Night of the Living Dead" and the wholly original "Cancer! The Musical" -- but never anything quite as mainstream as "Sweeney Todd," which had two runs on Broadway.

For Abreact's audience, "it'll be something they haven't seen at our place," says artistic director Chad Kushuba. "It does have a touch of the absurd and macabre. We like to be a little spooky at times."

Thomas Hoagland, an Abreact founder now living in New York, has returned to direct "Sweeney." Accompaniment is on keyboards and percussion played by musical director Michael Fiedler. Frank Sawa as Sweeney Todd and Dawn Slaski as Mrs. Lovett, the maker of meat pies whose secret ingredient is you-know-what, head a cast of 13.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070202/ENT 05/702020391/1035

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8202
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoagland and I go back to the summer of NINTH grade...we met at a Dearborn jobs program and were fast friends until senior year.

I am STILL amazed that this is his baby...after going there for a few years before discovering that.

What a small world.

He's an absolute maniac genius who should NEVER be out of sight for an instant! heh.

Cheers, see y'all tonight.

Jams

Post Number: 4690
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw it tonight, while some of the solo vocals in the first act were a bit off (probably opening night jitters), the confidence level of the cast in the 2nd act was readily apparent.

Special kudos to;

Molly McHahon as Tobias, pulled together the plot as well, she pulled off the playing of a young boy brilliantly.

Linda Rabin Hammell as the Beggar Woman just
amazed me with her facial expressions and bearing of a street person who knows too much.

I apologize to the rest of the cast for not naming you personally but much applause for your performance. I'll be back.

Oh yeah, I'll give a bit of credit to Phil Bolden for his portrayal of a lackey.

Great job everyone involved.

(Message edited by JamS on February 03, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where the hell is this? I live above loco and bozouki

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is this: the door is in the middle of the block and has the Abreact logo in red on it. Open the door and go up a steep run of steps and there it is...

Gannon

Post Number: 8239
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,

Then you've heard them practise...heh.

I could only catch the first half tonight, bozo'd up my schedule promising to drive some rabid Redwings fans around after the game...all I have to say is WOW.

BIGGEST performance EVER for this space, as far as I know, and also by far the most complicated performance.

Abreact is proving to be one of the area's important venues for live performance...I highly recommend anyone and everyone taking a few hours and enjoying the energies of a few dozen of Detroit's most talented as they perform their hearts out through this curiously entertaining horrible story line.

Cheers!

Jams

Post Number: 4724
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump!

Go see it!

Gannon

Post Number: 8276
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what the Freep's Martin Kohn had to say about it.

That damn opening has been haunting me all week...cannot wait until tomorrow night, so I can see how the second half shapes up.

Jams

Post Number: 4732
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should we stop at Ackroyd's Scottish Bakery and pick up some "pork pies" for the cast prior to the performance?:-)

Gannon

Post Number: 8280
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bet is they all turn vegetarian for a while.

Gannon

Post Number: 8299
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, caught the second act Friday...this troupe constantly amazes me.

Anyone curious should check them out. Consistently some of the best entertainment in town in a very low-key environment.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, their lead took ill Saturday and the Saturday and Sunday performances were cancelled. Sounds like he is ok, but it impacted the weekend. I have friends in the cast and was going to see it as I had a highly unusual Saturday eve available.

They are talking about adding a show next Sunday and adding a weekend after that if they can keep the cast together, pending other conflicts...

(Message edited by ptero on February 12, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 8333
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it the same flu I have now, God help him.

I feel like I've been sleeping in a trash compactor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.