Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Brother Rice HS or De La Salle? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend’s son has been accepted at both Brother Rice HS and De La Salle Collegiate HS. He has no idea which school to attend & must decide by Monday (2/5/07).

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions about either school—pros, cons, etc.—that I can pass along to the son and his parents?

Thank you very much in advance.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7381
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(snicker)

Really? They can't decide between Birmingham Brother Rice or Warren De La Salle?

It depends on the child's plans for the future. Does he plan to attend college, or go to trade school? Once that issue has been settled, it'll be easy to decide on Brother Rice or De La Salle.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a BR alum who attended DLS my freshman year, I have to punch itsjeff in the balls.

Now that that is finished, they are both great schools.

If they are an eastsider, DLS.

A north central (Woodward Corridor) BR.

Although, I would recommend U of D before either.

Just stay away from CC.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8151
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, there are MANY more 'trades' that will still exist in Bahminghaam in another year or so...like Starbucks and The Gap.

You'll want him speaking in the local dialect so they don't 'know' he's not from there. They'll teach him the 'proper' way to suggest fries with that.

I never KNEW Rice was a trade school. I thought they meant 'swapping'...

You're ALL out of luck, now that St. Alphonsus-Dearborn is gone. Never another educational institution like that one...

Gannon

Post Number: 8152
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I was going to say UofD, they made men out of my cousins.

H-m-m-n-n, Its, did you GO to Rice?!

I'm fine, thanks, not big on french fries.

NAH! I keed, I keed. One of my bestest friends is Rice 1982...he's a bigwig with Ford Motor Company now. One of the three or four people still there, as MUCH as he thought he wanted to bolt...so he's not too hard to find.

He says great things about Rice, but it took ME to introduce him to a young lady he used to oogle at the payphone in the common area...they've been married for seventeen years this May.

Gannon

Post Number: 8153
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the ALL-girls detention place next to Rice called again?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7382
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Orchard Lake St. Mary's for junior/senior years. Made a man out of me.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A man and a legend.

U of D would have been my suggestion too, but I'm biased.

BR and DLS are both good schools. I think a lot has to do with what the student body will be like, in terms of diversity, etc. I don't really think you can go wrong either way, although I'd probably pick BR myself. If I were forced at gunpoint to pick between the two.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would also suggest UofD. Much more diverse and competitive. My son attended Notre Dame, would not recommend it if it was still there.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, i might just have to beat up gannon...(interesting how this thread became terribly violent in a matter of a few posts.)

my brother, an engineer at nissan, went to brother rice. and the all girls college prep school next door, where i went, is marian. dare i ask, gannon, where you went to high school? a public school perhaps? :P

and although i could get into some extreme school pride here, i think i would agree with dabirch (aside from maybe the u of d comment)...seriously, though, all are good schools, and it could just come down to where you live. although with catholic high schools, it seems people will drive from 32 mile road and van dyke to go where they think is appropriate for their child (much like a friend of mine from high school).

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3941
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ay, where do they live? East or West? You dont want to drive 18 miles to school everyday.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to ride an hour on the school bus in the mornings and an hour and a half home to go to U of D, so I'd say the commute shouldn't be the biggest consideration.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 597
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ach, aye, this Homer fella's in fer an ass beatin, he is.

Gannon

Post Number: 8157
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valky-honey, heh, you've GOT to polish up on those reading comprehension skills...I already boasted about MY alma-mater.

We put it out of business as all of my reproductive classmates fled to Livonia, Novi, and Waterford.

I didn't reproduce, as far as I know. (yet)

As far as I'm concerned, these wonderful Catholic educational institutions are ALL detention centers...come ON, how many of us merely learned how to mis-behave stealthily in those twelve years?

As long as you LOOK like you're where you're supposed to be, nobody will ask questions.

I also developed a life-long allergy to neckties, and an inordinate affection for plaid and micro zig-zaggy print skirts.

Heh. BUT, they taught me the BEST foundational stuff money could buy, there is NO doubt that I would NOT be who I am today if it weren't for good, old St. Alphonsus in Dearborn.

I've got a copy of the seventh grade note sent home from a nun to my mother to prove my inability to become sheople at a very early age. Viewings available during tour hours, just ask your guide.

ITS, THAT wasn't what I was saying...didn't intend on a dig...my two cousins and their classmates are some of the most aggressive play-fighters I've ever met...as IF they were in some constant battle for top dog.

Saw a pack in Sala Thai's parking lot early this morning, and cannot get their patterned behavior out of my head...there were seven of 'em, and each its own personality in the group. They'd stand around, get bored, start fighting, start humping...run around some then start again. It was like Friday night at a bad bar, only with 4 feet each and a tail, fur, and frigid cold.

Sounds like I owe you BOTH a drink for the slips and digs...maybe two for you, Val, because I put it in your face a few paragraphs above! I want DRUNK people angry at me...

Heya, DA-birch! When did you escape Rice?!

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, i did not catch that in your lengthy, multi-posts, gannon. i did read that, but didn't really think you were boasting about your alma mater.

i do have a question, and perhaps a suggestion, for awfavre's friend(s)...why did the son apply to both schools if he apparently has no idea which one to choose? what was it about each school that he liked? or is this something that's being pressed upon him by his parents? because if there is one thing i have learned from going to catholic school my ENTIRE life (and yes, i do mean all 17 years) is that it is NOT good to force your children to attend the school if they don't want to. when they are young, they don't have so much of a choice. but with high school, they should. and if this kid is not really wanting to go to private high school, well, then he probably shouldn't...

Gannon

Post Number: 8161
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those lengthy posts ARE the reading comprehension test, lady.

Lucky for you, it's NOT pass/fail.

When're we drinking? After Abreact's opening Friday, I'll be traipsing around looking for trouble.

I think he should go to UofD...obviously NEITHER of these other schools sold themselves properly, and UofD won our poll by a LARGE margin.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer one of your questions, Valkyrias, I was told the son applied to these two particular schools thinking he would only be accepted at one. I know nothing beyond that. (I presume he did not apply to U of D.) Also, I cannot answer regarding what he really wants to do in his high school career, versus what his parents want him to do.

What it boils down to is I went to public school in Central Michigan, am not Catholic, & cannot offer an opinion on the Metro area’s private Catholic schools. Hence, I offered to post the question here, figuring others who knew something about the schools might have something to say that I could pass along.

Thanks for your responses, everyone (I think). :-)

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High school kids these days spend substantial amount of time on campus even after classes are over. Both DLS and BR are located completely opposite each other geographically. Awfavre, I would advise them to think long and hard about picking a school closer to home or work. That way, the child and the parents can be actively involved with school activities.

Don't believe you want to drive 20 miles out of the way simply to attend a home game, or a musical event, or parents-teachers conferences or any of the dozens of events happening each and every week. So, that's my 2 cents.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 909
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad Bishop Borgess is gone. Ahh Catholic Cody. My home.

Don't be a wuss, go to SW Detroit HS

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from De La Salle..great school that I would recommend to anyone. I have heard great things about U of D, as well.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will pass on the advice our parish priest gave my parents when they where try to figure out where to send me for high school. "There's really nothing to decide - send him to De La Salle"

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U of D

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no question that U of D should be your top choice. The school has always been true to its educational commitment.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

De La Salle has lost something over the years. My father(DLS '66) was not interested in sending me there. I would not have been required to pass the entrance exam since I would have been a "legacy". In his opinion they have become soft. I have known some people that have graduated from there over the last 10 years and I'm not impressed. I'm unsure if this remains the policy but when students semester percentage is above 88% a student is not required to take final exams. That is something Brother George would not have accepted. Life changes and so has the school. Its certainly not working class kids anymore, especially considering tuition is around $7k. In 1966 it was $250 for the year. A lot of that cost increase is probably related to the lack of Christian brothers. Well, at least now their is less chance of an airplane crashing into the school.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh...Brother George:

[In a manner of speech that can not be translated into the written word] "Wonderful, wonderful. How's your mother? How's your father? Wonderful."

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.