Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Anyone know of a cat for adoption? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7356
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked up a stray who initially tested for leukemia, but the second test came back negative. So now that he can be around other cats, I'd like to get him a buddy since I'm home so rarely.

I'm looking for an indoor, male cat (they always seem to have nicer dispositions) hopefully neutered and declawed. Should be playful and be okay around other cats.

Please post or e-mail me.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7854
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff is gonna get the pussy.

Historic day.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7357
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's nothing like that, Gannon. THIS pussy monopolizes all of my free time and money and whines incessantly about not going out enough.

Oh, wait...

Anyway, meet the new boss. My pre-teen nephews named him "Fartknocker," but I'm pretty sure that won't stick.

buddy

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 870
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff: Please consider adoption from the Dearborn Animal Shelter. They are at cat capacity. They have some WONDERFUL cats and kittens with excellent dispositions. You can view the cats here:

http://dearborn-animals.com/Ad option_Information/adoption.ht m

They come complete with spay/neutering, microchip, vet check, and age appropriate shots.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 746
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some contenders for the role of Mr. F. Knocker's playmate:
Happy
Roscoe
Big Boy
Pugsley
Riley not-a-pretty-face
Joey
Mark of Grosse Ile

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7358
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Amy_P! I just sent an e-mail regarding Roscoe.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remember, in the animal world, white skin/fur and blue eyes = psycho.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4560
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Its_jeff, was going to suggest the Michigan Humane Society on the I-75 Service Drive (where my two are from) but "suburban" kitties need love too.

Congrats on the addition(s), they add much to a home (despite my differences with Missy about who has first rights to the couch}

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 871
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its Jeff, good luck with the your new additions (should we get lawn signs for you? have a shower, perhaps?)! I agree that Roscoe is adorable and would be a great playmate for F. Knocker (even though he isn't from Dbn). It's been proven that pets add years to our lives. If that is true, I should live until I'm a ripe old age!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7858
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's UNCONDITIONAL LOVE that adds years to your life...pets are just a convenient source. ('splains why I'm such an octogenarian.)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take my dog to the Detroit Humane Society clinic, lotso nice animals there that need a home.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwwwww! Orange males are always sweet lover men kitties.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you must have a declawed cat, please try to find one that has already had the tips of its toes amputated :-)

all three of my feline land monsters came from the Detroit MHS

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 22, 2007)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They now have these nifty plastic covers for over cat's claws. You just glue em on and they come off with clipping. Much more humane than amputating the toes. You can even get them in cute colors or just plain old clear. You can buy them at local pet stores and a vet's office.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put electrical tape on your sofa arms and posts until the cats get used to not scratching there, and remember to give them an alternative. They need to scratch to exercise their toes, and even if you amputate the tips of their toes, they still need to do it. It also cleans the glands on their feet.

One of my cats came to me mutilated. I didn't and wouldn't do it to the other.

Jams

Post Number: 4610
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or do as I do, never buy expensive furniture.

I regret not declawing my two at an early age as I survey the damage throughout the house they have done despite the 3 clawing posts, but since they are older, no way, I'll live with it.

My previous cat was declawed after pulling down curtains and rods climbing them and never seemed to miss them.

I must admit, my cats are strictly indoor cats. If by some chance they make the escape outside the door, they freak.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 894
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cat has her claws (and tootsies). She has only scratched one thing, the leg to one dining room chair. She had those plastic covers on from kittenhood on up. I just recently stopped using them (she's 7). The plastic thingys prevent damage to furniture, they can scratch away and never hurt anything (including people skin). It takes them a few days to get used to them (they look like they are walking on sticky tack) but they are safe. Didn't do the electrical tape, my cat would have eaten it!

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just clip my cat's claws with fingernail clippers every other week or so. they didn't like the first few times, but they got used to it.

also, this picture is hilarious

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 22, 2007)

Jams

Post Number: 4614
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too late for me.

Trimming claws is chancy thing for me. I ended up one day with one cat"s claws extended in my back when he heard the cries of woe as I tried to clip her overgrown claws

personal aside:
DT, will you make an FSC soon? I'd like to discuss with you some stuff my cousin teaching in Indonesia and I talked about.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure when the next FSC will be. Working on two other Master's programs and trying to implement some new stuff in the classroom. Maybe over mid winter break in Feb.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Animal Rescue League in Pontiac. Try a local PetsMart. They have a pet adoption area. My family has adopted 3 cats from MARL and 2 from Cat Connection.

Tokennojokin
Username: Tokennojokin

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my cats claws removed on all fours when she was a kitten. She doesn't miss them. she is 9 now and a indoor cat. She doesn't act like she's scratching either.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who would miss the top joint of all your fingers and toes? It's great!

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you could name the cat like the famous corridor bum Stubby Knubby :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So does Roscoe have a new home Itsjeff? Update us.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine, is that this guy?

He_says_his_name_is_Stumpy

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7366
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never got a response to my e-mail expressing interest in Roscoe. Maybe it's for the best, since my vet says that Fartknocker would be less inclined to pee outside the box with a female cat around.

So now I'm looking for a female cat.

Also, for what it's worth, the Vet says his technique for declawing is pretty painless. He took my cat a few days in advance, so he could start him on painkillers. And he gave me a 3-day supply to administer after he got home. I observed him closely, and he honestly seemed fine. He wasn't walking more gingerly than usual, or meowing loudly when he jumped, as if he were in pain.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a male. I have 2, they get along great and never piss outside of their boxes.

The MHS on the 75 service drive does some pretty good work. If you just drive down there you probably won't go home empty handed.

I think declawing is pretty painful judging from how mine acted for about a week after. Think about getting you fingers cut down to the first knuckle. That doesn't mean I'm against it for house cats as long as you do it when they are young.

If you get an older cat with claws just buy a scratching post and rub it with nip once and awhile. If it starts to scratch the furniture zap it with a water bottle.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link for SoftPaws. They work pretty well. The hardest part is putting them on if you're the only one there. Gotta get 'em right before or during nap time when they're calm. Just about any place will put them on but they charge about double what a package costs just to do that.

I ended up getting the younger of my two cats (both males) at the MHS on I-75 this past summer. I of course also recommend any kind of public shelter.

And I love squirt bottles. I have about three sitting around my apartment. One is tuned for long-range when they're across the room and another is a spritz/mist when they're jumping on my desk or trying to claw the chair.

Best of luck with FartKnocker and any new cat you get.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 897
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ItsJeff, try the Dearborn Animal Shelter...the link is above. They have TONS of cats on the website you can look at. You can also just go in there but won't be able to take the new addition home until the next day.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 836
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my suggestion.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 898
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't know ItsJeff wanted a cute, fuzzy bunny!

Mary_l
Username: Mary_l

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just thought I would put my 2 cents in and tell you that Petsmart is a good place to adopt a dog or cat. I foster cats for them. I take them in off the street. Sometimes it's a kitten, sometimes a little older. Our group is called H.E.A.D.S. ( helping every animal downriver society). But I live in Detroit and they take my cats. I take them in, get them cleaned up, and get them top notch medical attention. They are checked for feline lukemia. get their rabies shots, and if they are old enough, 6 months old, they get spayed or neutered. We work out of the Petsmart on Eureka rd. in Southgate just passed the Southland mall. Tomorrow, Jan.27th, we are opening a new petsmart in Woodhaven on allen and west rd. next to the Home Depot. I will be there with two of my kittens. I am presently fostering 10 cats, both male and females. Some are ready to be adopted and some still need to be fixed. It is very rewarding. The adoptions usually cost from $75.00 and up but they have had everything done, medically, and we train them to get them us to people so they will make better pets.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary_I, I know it's late, but I wanted to put this thread back at the top so people will see the good that you and your organization do.

Thank you one thousand times for your love and caring of our sweet little kitties!

One more thing - our orange male tabby is the best cat in the whole world!

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone who's an animal lover and cares. I have adopted Buddy (aka Fartknocker) and he is adjusting well. I'm glad that I will have a constant reminder of my kind and funny friend Jeff Colby. I will miss him greatly.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billybrew, that's good news. I was wondering what would happen to Buddy. I'm so very, deeply sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 926
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy: Thanks for adopting Jeff's "child". I am sure Fartknocker will give you many days of joy as well as heartbreak. We'll all miss Jeff and I am sorry for the world's loss of such an outstanding person. Please keep us informed of the progress Buddy is making. Photos, too, if you will.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's adjusting well, though he does need to be taught that the top of the dining room table is NOT a bed, lol...typical cat. I'm glad I have him here to remind me each day how much Jeff meant to me as a friend.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6171
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BillyB.

I'm so glad to hear that. Yesterday one of the strange thoughts that popped into my head was "Who's looking after the cat?".

I almost called Velma to ask... Glad that he's taken care of.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.