Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Bohemian National House « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been here (I'm guessing JimG has) ? If so, can you please post your impressions of the venue, parking and neighborhood. Thanks.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fellow forumer owns it, Many of us have been there.

Nip

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I kind of figured that, hence my question. It appears to have made a real impression on you...

(Message edited by Nip on November 30, 2006)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7180
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an awesome space. I always enjoyed visiting there.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you just go there and find out for yourself?

I love the place. But I am friends with the owner. I'm sure most of the people here who have been there are also. I doubt you'll find an unbiased opinion here. Go visit it and make up your own opinion.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10939
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ay yes, that was the place I saw Jelk get kicked in the nuts by a gal. Fun times for everyone!

Nip

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavis, that's my plan. What's with the smart-ass demeanor? I was just interested in hearing other peoples opinions of the place, is that okay with you?

Ndavies

Post Number: 2342
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see anything smartass in my response. It was a simple statement of facts.

Nip

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really. I merely asked for peoples impressions of the venue. A "simple statement of facts" would be to answer my question, not to tell me to go and check it out for myself. If I want your advice (which I don't), I'll ask for it.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you asked

quote:

Has anyone been here (I'm guessing JimG has) ?

I answered

quote:

A fellow forumer owns it, Many of us have been there.

You replied with the first smartass answer.

quote:

It appears to have made a real impression on you...

I replied with an equally smartass answer

quote:

Why don't you just go there and find out for yourself?

and then explained why my first answer was so short on detail. And if you don't want my advice don't post questions here asking for advice.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7272
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IF anything, Ndavies immediately disqualified himself from the opinion-taking deftly and honestly. Dammit man, he's from the British Isles, he don't say much...but when he do...

Many of us know one of the guys that made sure the place didn't get bulldozed...and I say this with a big smile...so we will be biased.

You don't just want to pull a Karl and just get a bunch of unqualified yesses...and be happy with that, do ya?

I'd say IF ANYTHING...ahem...letting you know that it is safe because we know some of the majors and many have been there...and we all say good things about the main guy...should indicate that, yes, you SHOULD try it out for yourself.

I can't say anything about the Bo House...I finally wandered through the neighborhood after a Mexican Village birthday dinner just last night...and still couldn't find the damn thing.

Need a map, it's off the beaten path...or I wasn't far enough west.

Nip

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming soon to the Bohemian National Home- Mud wrestling- Nip vs. Ndavies in the first round.

(Message edited by Pam on November 30, 2006)

Supersport

Post Number: 10946
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please tell me that Nip is a 125 lb blonde haired, blue eyed hottie. If not, I will have no part in watching this mud wrestling event.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 737
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a great space, Nip. And I don't know the owner.
It is a fabulous ruin with plenty plenty soul. Saw Sam Rivers there in the Grand Ballroom.

Gannon

Post Number: 7282
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep.

Didn't go far enough west.

SAW Tillman off Michigan across the freeway from Slows, and it rang a bell deep within my punkin' noggin, but it was merely one among an entire symphony last night so I didn't harken its call to follow ONE BLOCK up that street in my trolling to find it.

(Message edited by Gannon on November 30, 2006)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 994
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might help if you haven't already seen it.

True Bohemia

http://modeldmedia.com/feature s/bohouse49.aspx

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7183
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip asked for impressions, not links, E_Hemingway, you arrogant prick!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ay yes, that was the place I saw Jelk get kicked in the nuts by a gal. Fun times for everyone!

Damn! I can't believe I missed that.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_Hemingway, I enjoyed the link you posted. Had no idea this cool place existed.
itsjeff, is posting links against the rules? Or are you friends with E_ and just busting his b---s?
Why so much attitude? *shrugs*

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Conditions for Participation

quote:

Pictures, text or any content that you post must be your property and permitted for posting by their owners or fall under fair use acceptability. If you post content taken from a permitted outside source, it must be credited to the owners by name and link, if one exists.

In other words, links are permitted and encouraged, just give credit where it is due.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jams, I guess I still don't get it. Sometimes I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. I thought just listing the site was credit. Oh well, mostly I felt bad that someone called another member a nasty name.

Jams

Post Number: 4302
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum!!

Until you've been here awhile, you'll miss quite a few of the subplots.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome!
Very interesting about the subplots; I think I'll mostly read what you all say and see if I can get the gist of the pecking order and relationships here. Kind of like moving to a new city. Stand back and watch for a while!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath- It's Jeff was making a joke. He does that a lot. Many of us enjoy his jokes. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 7300
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful while looking at his photoshops.

It's best to read Its' stuff sitting.

Makes for a much shorter fall to the floor before you roll and lose your ass.

Always remember, gravity can be your friend...or your enemy.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7185
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath, I was joking. Honest.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 973
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

suuuuuure you were... :-)

[lol anyway]

Gannon

Post Number: 7302
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath,

This is a banner day.

Just as our dear Karl cannot admit he's wrong, Itsjeff usually cannot admit he's funny.

Close enough to get him to say he was joking.

He has the cutest blush when you bring any of this up in public...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel so warm and fuzzy! Awwww, Shucks. You guys really are nice, aren't you? Humor can be difficult to get across in type unless you know the person.
I live in The Ozarks right now (big enough city for me, 12,000) and was so happy to find this site a few months ago.
I spent hours looking at all the pix of my lovely, old hometown and reading people's memories of the Eastside on one thread.
I may have moved, and really like small town living better, but Detroit is forever in my heart and beautiful to me, even with all it's warts.
I visit every other year or so.
Detroit and SE Michigan really sticks in your soul, doesn't it!

Gannon

Post Number: 7312
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far, we've got the infection tracked down to some rumored Spirit of Detroit patient zero.

Not sure where they got it, though.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just re-read my post and it is really schmarmy, isn't it?
Hope it's not contagious, I like the gruffness and straight shooting of Detroiters.

Gannon

Post Number: 7328
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAIT! I'm all about schmarmy.

I'm actively trying to spread it around, too.

Don't get me wrong...the Spirit of Detroit is a real thing...whenever I meet anyone who says the things you just did, I understand that its reach is great.

There IS something different about this city...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, ok, then I guess I don't have to act all tough and stuff?:-)
Phew!

Gannon

Post Number: 7336
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do that, we'll start calling you Sportinozarks.

You said you could shoot straight, right?!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good shows there. Nice space. Renovation progress is a bit slow, but that's to be expected with what I would imagine is a small budget...

It's well done. Good music. Saw Jazz there last night... Check it out.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, ha Gannon!
Sportinozarks! With my friends and family I shoot straight, but they know me and kind of love my sometimes brutal honesty.
Now, with strangers it's a different story. We'll see how it goes. First impressions are lasting!

Nip

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, I agree completely. Great space and nice atmosphere. I too was at the show on Thursday. The HG Trio was incredible.

Gannon, I had no problem finding it.

Supersport

Post Number: 10954
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip,

Did you and Ndavies rub elbows? lol

Nip

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, actually we fought in the parking lot after the show. I took pity on him though, letting him walk away with only minor injuries.
;-)

Ndavies

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I haven't been in a physical fight since I was 15. Only someone with limited intellect needs to physically fight in this day and age.

Nip

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're just bitter, that's okay. It's to be expected.

BTW- You might want to rethink that "limited intellect" statement, based on what I've read, you seem pretty "challenged" yourself.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bitter? You've obviously never met me. I'm sure the people who know me are laughing at that statement.

You're the one fantasizing about kicking my ass. I hold no ill will towards you. I just don't think very highly of you.

If you don't want to hear from me, stop posting you're immature little rants aimed at me.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip 'n Ndavies sittin' in a tree.....
k.i.s.s.i.n.g!........:-)

Jams

Post Number: 4326
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and you're worried about a Tee-shirt?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

boys, boys, boys. it's time for you to separate, or you'll both have to go to your rooms!

Nip

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you're uptight as hell Ndavies, clearly I was JOKING...lighten up for god's sake.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never take threats of physical harm as a joke.

about 10 years ago I watched a usenet ski thread devolve into a physical beating. both the he aggressor and victim were fired from their jobs and the aggressor serving time for assault. All this from a simple chat about skiing techniques.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3001
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a forum about skiing was bound to go downhill eventually ... this is a forum about Detroit and Detroit is RISING

Gannon

Post Number: 7390
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

about 10 years ago I watched a usenet ski thread devolve into a physical beating. both the he aggressor and victim were fired from their jobs and the aggressor serving time for assault. All this from a simple chat about skiing techniques.

But were you RIGHT?! That's all that matters!

What's the trouble of lost productivity, finding a new job, and meeting new people in the next cell between friends?!

We had your back, N, I was just behind Sport. You never know where he's going to aim that thing.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a forum about skiing was bound to go downhill eventually ... this is a forum about Detroit and Detroit is RISING

______________________________ ___________________

LMAO!
Thanks Rustic, that's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a great place to see really interesting music, sometimes a bit chilly. A true Detroit experience.
Parking is good, the hood is kinda desolate.
I can tell you that they will never install mirrored walls and call it "Bohemianz".

Nip

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wrote:

"No, actually we fought in the parking lot after the show. I took pity on him though, letting him walk away with only minor injuries.
;-)"

Ndavies wrote:

"I never take threats of physical harm as a joke."

Please tell me where I actually threaten you, drama queen. Be careful with that word "Threaten", it also can get you fired and sent to jail, especially when you use it in false sense. Wow, you are really pathetic, try picking up a dictionary dumb ass.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 980
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh for the love of god, let it go!

anybody else have any experiences about the bohemian house?

Supersport

Post Number: 11005
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. Just Ndavies fight night. :-)

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do they have any bike racks at the Bohemian House?

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. Went to a wedding at the venue. Very hip, urban and arty environment. Had a great time. Parked on a side street with no problem what so ever.

The BoHouse is not your father's VFW hall so do as advised and make a personal visit. Decide if ones guests are up to making a venture into the heart of the D.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.