Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Conspiracy Theory Brew and View switched to Sundays « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Sunday, November 26th, at Twingo's (4710 Cass Avenue) at 10:00 P.M. $2.00 shot specials and 24 Oz. cans of Pabst for $3.75. Tonight's film will be "The Corporation". Over the next couple months the selections will be:

"The Power of Nightmares"
"The Monopoly Men"
"Loose Change"
"American Blackout"
"Orwell Rolls in His Grave"
"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime"
"Why We Fight"
"OUTFOXED : Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism"

See you there!

-Mudflap

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7181
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should be quite good...the ill effects of corporate-protected capitalism over the earth.

Things go right in the next couple hours, I'll see you there.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Noam Chomsky's in it, it has to be good.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is "Why We Fight"? I missed that last time around.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Why We Fight' is off the hook ! You can also rent the DVD from Blockbuster right now.

Gannon

Post Number: 7186
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was powerfully disturbed by this documentary tonight...and that is a good thing.

(yeah, yeah, I know, I went INTO tonight disturbed)

Seriously, though, every ONE of you should see this documentary...especially if we have any CEOs in our lurkership.

I challenge any CEO, or other bigtime corporate officer or board member to watch this piece all the way through...it is a Rorschach Test to call out your conscience.

If you have no emotional response to this movie, you have already sold your soul.

Which one was Chomsky?!

Mudflap

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight's film is "Orwell Rolls in his Grave"

"Could a media system, controlled by a few global corporations with the ability to overwhelm all competing voices, be able to turn lies into truth?..."

This chilling documentary film examines the relationship between the media, corporate America, and government. In a country where the "top 1% control 90% of the wealth", the film argues that the media system is nothing but a "subsidiary of corporate America."

Director: Robert Kane Pappas - Run Time 1 Hour 46 Minutes

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 469
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$3.75 cans of PBR???? I don't care if they are tall boys... thats a ripp off!!

Gannon

Post Number: 7365
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come early for dinner...if you are even somewhat drawn to come down for the movie, you will enjoy the company of fellow travellers...ALL enjoying the incredible menu and ambiance...and fine Guinness stout.

Hopefully this documentary won't cause me to nearly projectile vomit like that last one, though.

Can we get a dinner guarantee...if the viewing causes extreme external proof of discomfort and the dinner is wasted...we can get a discounted replacement one at a future date proportionate to the percentage of dinner 'returned'?!

Kinda like the better car wash firm's early-on-a-rainy-day warranty.?!

Gannon

Post Number: 7367
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought they sold the cans of Guinness at $5, which is a comfortable market rate for the can...sure I'd rather have $4 draught pints...but it is still a far cry from a ripoff.

I dunno...somebody said the food prices were high until they tasted some. I'll let you know tonight.

This place is more destination than hangout...and tonight is an event.

Gannon

Post Number: 7368
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Planner, do you need some form of subsidy for you to feel good coming over for this?!

I mean, what is YOUR comfortable price to pay for 24 oz. of beer in a bar?!

WITH a proper tip, of course.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 473
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't drink. I can remember when you could go to Hamtramck and get 2 bottles of PBR for a buck, and I'd tip a buck. Many of my friends no longer drink either so when we do go out a round for four is rarely over $10, I tip a buck a drink.

Maybe I'm getting old or maybe I just don't know how much booze costs anymore.

Gannon

Post Number: 7374
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, I've been paying around $5 with tip for Guinness...never compared the price with other beers. Didn't care.

They sell the cans of Guinness for $4, even BETTER than what I thought. Had their chicken pasta special...very good for an above-average portion, the potato soup entre was fantastic. Came with some bread that I'd bet is Avalon. Even had their dessert cake...which finally slipped me into a coma near the end of the documentary.

Cousin had the pierogi, which were humorously over-sized. He was very pleased, too.

All in all, this is a great place for an event dinner...something special.

Perfect place to watch conspiracy flicks with your friends.

Mudflap

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Sunday we'll be showing either "OutFoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism"

-This documentary reveals the secrets of former Fox News producers, reporters, bookers and writers who expose what it's like to work for Fox News.

These former Fox employees talk about how they were forced to push a 'right-wing' point of view or risk their jobs. Some have even chosen to remain anonymous in order to protect their current livelihoods. As one employee said, 'There's no sense of integrity as far as having a line that can't be crossed.'

The following week will be:

"DeathofaPresident"
-For information check out: http://www.deathofapresident.c om/index.php

We will also show "Stephen Colbert Roasts Bush at White House Correspondents' Dinner"

At times hilarious, at times painfully uncomfortable, Colbert's brazen send-up of President Bush, delivered with Bush sitting a mere 10 feet away, ranks as one of the stunning comic stunts ever pulled in Washington.

Gannon

Post Number: 7462
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump it 'til you jump it.

See y'all tonight!

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys should consider getting your hands on the BBC documentary on the death of Jeremiah Duggan. The died under bizarre circumstances while attending a LaRouche Conference in Germany. The Germans ruled the death a suicide but British officials and Jeremiah Duggan's family believe otherwise. I'm not sure why German officials are covering up for LaRouche but it really appears that they are.

Detroit is a huge recruiting center for LaRouche. Ed Vaughn, LaMar Lemmons, Edward Robinson, George Cushinberry, Mary Lou Parks have all been supportive of LaRouche in the past. Alberta Tinsley-Talabi even signed a Exonerate LaRouche petition. In the 1970's the old guard local Teamsters allied with LaRouche to attack the Teamsters Democratic Union.

The LaRouche threat to young progressives in Detroit is very real. It would be a good topic for you guys.

http://thesouthend.typepad.com /tsenews/2006/10/political_gro up.html
http://justiceforjeremiah.com/

Jelk

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyers

http://dennisking.org/teamsters.htm

Gannon

Post Number: 7505
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jelk.

That's the spirit we're trying to foster...

I'm sure the main protagonist and his angry antagonist will read this...I started calling them that a few weeks ago, it is such a fun melodramatic dynamic to witness.

Hell, that alone is worth the time and company, but for those who can watch the videos...it is mind, heart, and soul expanding.

They can't do anything about your physical nature except feed and water it well...but damn, had the Ceasar salad and bean soup last time and they were great. (even IF I talked my soup cold with Betty the pretty artist teacher...poor lady couldn't run away fast enough, it seemed.)

Mudflap

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might do "Jesus Camp" this week....

Jelk

Post Number: 4110
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good flick, I loved when the little nine-year-old cunt of a bitch explained that Catholics and mainline Protestants are going to hell because we don't act like we are having epileptic seizures at a gay night club when we are at church.

The folks documented in that film were literally the most worthless human beings I’ve ever seen.

Gannon

Post Number: 7642
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jelk.

That's the spirit we're trying to foster...

Jelk

Post Number: 4111
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry for being so pithy. Jesus Camp is a amazing piece of documentary filmmaking. Worth seeing, and I will probably want to check it out again. However it is hard to mask my contempt for the hate spewed by the folks being documented at those of us who don't share their twisted world view.

Gannon

Post Number: 7647
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

We love it when you flash your contempt at us.

Jelk

Post Number: 4112
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We love it when you flash your contempt at us.

Like the guy in the park in a trench coat. :-)

Mudflap

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jesus Camp" it is....In celebration of the birthday of baby Jesus, Twingos will be closed next Sunday evening (Christmas Eve), so there ain't no movie night next week.

-Mudflap

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 981
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus was born in July, I have a friend who is jesus camp worthy, It's a scary thing

Mudflap

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will be coming back strong in the new year! The first Sunday of the year will be a double feature of "1984" and "V for Vendetta".

Gannon

Post Number: 7831
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slow night yesterday, but the reviewing of V for Vendetta was great. Caught some things that I missed the first time through.

That movie is a great analogy of what is being played out in the world today...with a curious potential future scenario that seems too comfortable to be as frightening as it SHOULD be for thinking people.

We'd LOVE to have more people through, although the ones I've met have been fantastic. If you're interested, put Mudflap's Conspiracy Brew & View at Twingo's in your calendar for next week, Sunday night. Dinner at 8, movie by 10...if you live nearby you're home around midnight.

Cheers!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 915
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Sundays now instead of a day when more people are there for school?

Mudflap

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonights film:

TerrorStorm (Alex Jones)
1 hr 52 min 21 sec

Alex journeys from the depths of history from the Gulf of Tonkin, the USS Liberty and Gladio through to the Madrid and 7/7 London bombings and robustly catalogues the real story behind the government induced fable.

This film contains viable solutions on how we can reclaim human dignity and freedom and prevent the global population from becoming the slaves of a prison planet.

“A state of war only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny.”

Gannon

Post Number: 7943
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to beat 'flap to the punch on this week's post, since I just got his e-mail.

THIS week's showings include American Blackout and the Mena Connection...with a comedy short inbetween, so's y'all don't think we're not capable of grinning at our current American situation.

No fiddles allowed, though.

We've had some very cool people through these past few weeks, some I didn't get the chance to meet...but IF anyone is interested in great food, enough drink, and meeting other like-minded individuals...this group is shaping up to be one wonderful eclectic group of mere humans.

Cheers!

Dinner around 8, come in and introduce yourself to the handsome devil behind the bar who turns his head when you say "HEY Swanky!"

Cheers and hope to see you there.

Mudflap

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will be playing American Blackout followed by The Mena Connection with a comedy short film between.

American Blackout:

Whatever you think you know about our election systems or Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, this film will make you question further why the news media fails to accurately inform the public. Directed by GNN's Ian Inaba, creator of Eminem's "Mosh" music video, American Blackout critically examines the contemporary tactics used to control our democratic process and silence voices of political dissent.

Many have heard of the alleged voting irregularities that occurred during the presidential elections of 2000 and 2004. Until now, these incidents have gone under- reported and are commonly written-off as insignificant rumors or unintentional mishaps resulting from an overburdened election system.

American Blackout chronicles the recurring patterns of voter disenfranchisement from Florida 2000 to Ohio 2004 while following the story of Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney. Mckinney not only took an active role investigating these election debacles, but has found herself in the middle of her own after publicly questioning the Bush Administration about the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Featuring: Congressional members John Conyers, John Lewis, Stephanie Tubbs-Jones, Bernie Sanders and jounalists Greg Palast and Bob Fitrakis.

Mena Connection By Paul DeRienzo

An independent group of researchers in Arkansas are charging that Governor Bill Clinton is covering up an airport used by the CIA and major cocaine smugglers in a remote corner of the Ozark mountains. According to Deborah Robinson of In These Times, the Inter mountain Regional Airport in Mena,Arkansas continues to be the hub of operations for people like assassinated cocaine kingpin Barry Seal as well as government intelligence operations linked to arms and drug smuggling.

In the 1980's, the Mena airport became one of the world's largest aircraft refurbishing centers, providing services to planes from many countries.Researchers claim that the largest consumers of aircraft refurbishing services are drug smugglers and intelligence agencies involved in covert activities.In fact, residents of Mena, Arkansas, have told reporters that former marine Lt. Colonel Oliver North was a frequent visitor during the 1980's. Eugene Hasenfus, a pilot who was shot down in a Contra supply plane over Nicaragua in 1986, was also seen in town renting cargo vehicles.

A federal Grand Jury looking into activities at the Mena airport refused to hand down any indictments after drug running charges were made public.Deborah Robinson says that Clinton had "ignored the situation" until he began his presidential campaign." Clinton then said he would provide money for a state run investigation of the Mena airport. But according to Robinson, the promise of an investigation was never followed up by Clinton's staff. In fact, a local Arkansas state prosecutor blasted Clinton's promise of an investigation, comparing it to "spitting on a forest fire."

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.