Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Downtown Magic « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This evening was the Cavalcade of Lights in downtown Toronto. Cavalcade of Lights if an annual event in downtown Toronto at Nathan Phillips Square to kick of the offical lighting of the square. Anyway check out my pictures at the following link. I think they capture the amazing magic of downtown. Enjoy.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.co m/showthread.php?p=2475426#pos t2475426

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photos, Mike! Boy, the photos of the Hudson's Bay Christmas windows definitely bring back the memories of the J.L. Hudson's Christmas windows!!!

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The windows are the same as last year at HBC, Mike?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3350
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The light show on old city hall is pretty amazing. Wonder how they did it.

Too bad nobody showed up for the event.

Just kidding!! Great crowds.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from a weekend trip from Toronto. It was my first time visiting the city, and it was undoubtedly the most vibrant, bustling city I have ever been to, moreso than San Francisco and Chicago. After discovering that there isn't a movie theater at the Eaton Center, we went to Nathan Phillips to watch the light show and what they did on old City Hall was pretty spectacular. My two favorite lighting graphics were the skulls and the building cracking to reveal the bright red and yellow facade underneath.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Answers to the question. Yes the windows in the THE BAY are the same as last year. I complained to THE BAY about this, and they told me it is because Disney made them sign a two year contract to do the Narnia windows. They assured me next year will be a different theme. The customer service lady also told me I was not the only one to complain and that many people did.
Eventhough they where the same as last year, you could still see the magic and the kids where still excited.

Mind_field I could have showed you around eventhough I do not know you :-)

If any of you are ever in Toronto and want a quick tour or something. Let me know.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think the Bay changed their window display more than every few years. An 'ex' worked at a big chain department store that prided itself on hiring flaky artistes for store displays and lay-outs- only to have head office dictate exactly what they want in every store around the continent.
Anyone in Montreal in the 80's might remember the tired old display at the once mighty retailer Ogilvy's. The animals were ripped open in parts, some of the moving pieces were in various states of malfunctioning, and the frogs looked kind of obscene in a way, and I know I wasn't the only one who noticed that. The image of that decaying exhibit, year in, year out, always pops in to my head when people tell me how great Montreal is and can't understand why anyone would leave.
The Nathan Phillips Square display is cool, but I think it looks even better when I've passed through on my bike in a blinding snow storm at 3 in the morning, after last call- only to see a few guys playing hockey in the rink, oblivious to the weather to an extent that makes me envious. I hate the cold.
The Eaton Centre theatres closed years ago, and not a moment too soon. Lots of scuzzy kids, and screens that were smaller than a lot of peoples' home t.v. screens are today, with sound that I can beat on my ye olde home stereo. I wish I could take people on fun tours of Toronto, but I'd probably get in trouble for pointing Americans to places with an 'Amsterdam' feel, even if everyone here already knows about them.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

An 'ex' worked at a big chain department store that prided itself on hiring flaky artistes for store displays and lay-outs- only to have head office dictate exactly what they want in every store around the continent.
Anyone in Montreal in the 80's might remember the tired old display at the once mighty retailer Ogilvy's. The animals were ripped open in parts, some of the moving pieces were in various states of malfunctioning, and the frogs looked kind of obscene in a way, and I know I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

Oh... I was prepared to hear that this was the idea of the "flaky artists"

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 483
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, heh, no... but the company seemed to like hiring people from art schools or with B.F.A.'s to arrange these displays.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.