Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » [FLAK] at MONA « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The local ARCHITECTURAL / ARTS group [FLAK] is having a book release party to officially celebrate the publication of the book documenting its initial show: CRITICAL MASS.

CRITICAL MASS, was the largest show ever held at the MUSEUM OF NEW ART (MONA) while they were located in the Book Building, in DOWNTOWN DETROIT. With almost forty participants presenting work, close to 1,500 people attended the opening night reception.

The book release party and gallery event will be held at MONA in DOWNTOWN PONTIAC on Friday, November 10, 2006 from 6pm. to 11pm. All are invited, refreshments will be served, and a unique one night presentation of current work by [FLAK] members will be exhibited.

The event will provide the opportunity for all participants in the original CRITICAL MASS show to receive their free copies of the publication. Additional copies of the publication will be available for sale for $10.

An important announcement will be made regarding the next CRITICAL MASS exhibit and symposium to take place in the spring of 2007.

CM COVER

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds cool. I'll try to check it out. I do like design, and have been known to dabble a bit myself ;)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on November 01, 2006)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I ask why a group and book about Detroit are having an event so important to their group in Pontiac?

Sumotect

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that is a good question. We do, by intention, have a strong Detroit focus, and usually prefer to do our things in and about Detroit. Our first event was Critical Mass, and we did it at MONA which at the time was in a fabulous second floor space in the Book building.

Since the first Critical Mass show we have had a number of events, all of which were in Detroit. We love Detroit and want to do our next big show there. We also like Downtown Detroit’s little brother, Downtown Pontiac.

Also, we have become more interested in REGION. Which from the global standpoint is where the action is. This region which falls within the larger Great Lakes Metapolis would be still be called “Detroit”, even though governmentally there are dozens of little and increasingly irrelevant fiefdoms. Regions function like the city-states of the past.

When it came time for the book release we wanted to hook back up with MONA which in the meantime has moved to Pontiac. You will have to talk to MONA about their move from the Book to Pontiac. It is a long story.

We think that MONA is a great gallery and will be a good spot for a one night show and party.

Stay tuned for more events and activities, most of which will take place south of the 8mile wall.

Sumotect

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump a da bump

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.