Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Flash... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone on this forum know anything about Flash? I am currently working on a website and would like to include flash on the spash page.

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what do you want to know?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5942
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gordon?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip is there is information that you could hel;p me with drop me an email...

detroitstylin2000 @ yahoo.com

Put DYES in the subject line so that way I know what it is about...

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres some information that should really help: splash pages went out of style in about 1999.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3199
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Following up on Mauser... There is even a Flash book written called "Skip Intro". Many of my customers have inquired about adding Flash presentations on their home pages.

I always reply by asking them what they do when they come to a site with a Flash presentation that has a Skip Intro link that appears during the inevitable wait for the Flash load.

Most agree that they skip it with the rest saying they watch it once and skip on future visits, whereupon it becomes a nuisance.

The preponderance of web visitors want to get to the goods as quickly as possible with the fewest clicks. Flash intros can seem like forced guidance and even condescending and a wasted click. [The first time the Chinese Emperor heard the joke he laughed, the second time he heard it he frowned, the third time he heard it, had the teller's head lopped off.]

Where Flash works, IMO, are for sites like ad sites for movies. They are one time shots, not ongoing evolving sites that visitors return to again and again and were visitors expect to sit back and be entertained but won't return to again.

Finally, with layers, javascript behaviors and stylesheets, most of the tricks Flash offers can be created much more simply with a lot less load time.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5954
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole internet agrees, Flash Sucks.

Nip

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, are you familiar with ActionScript? Although I agree with you to a certain extent, I disagree with your last point. The fact of the matter is that "flash tricks" are quite simple, provided you can code ActionScript (which is a lot like javascript).

It's a matter of putting all your objects onto the stage and programming their positions and behaviors using ActionScript.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3202
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I am familiar with it Nip and Action script's predecessor in Macromind's [later Macromedia's now Adobe's] Director called lingo with which I created Total Intervention in 95. There is a lot that can be done with Flash and I am always keeping an eye on it, but for 99% of the web, it is overkill and can slow down both web display,development and management unless used for very clear purposes.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3112
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How difficult is ActionScript? I think that's more or less what I actually need...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Flash will work for what I need it for. It is for a fashion designer that does couture designs...

If you look at the sites of people like Dolce Gabbana, and Jean-Paul Gultierre they have some pretty extravagant sites...

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3208
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true Stylin'. Specialty sites and sites where image and style is really important are perfect for Flash. It is an amazing and powerful program.

There was a time when I thought it would take over the web but the fast moving realities of most web commerce sites are not well suited for Flash approaches.

Nip

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ActionScript is a lot like javascript, if you are familiar. Its currently in version 2.0, but 3.0 is just around the corner.

These days Flash is heading more toward application development. Some say it's the future of the Flash...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3118
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I do notice things like online presentations are done with flash more and more as opposed to Powerpoint...

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ajax is killin Action Script. No need for Flash.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.