Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Capoeira « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend is looking for a place to take lessons in the metro area, and the only place he's found so far (that's not in Ann Arbor) is with Tabcat (www.tabcat.org).

Has anyone been? Are there any other groups that have Capoeira classes?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 369
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check with the Boll Family YMCA in downtown Detroit.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to see signs for capoeira classes all the time when I took the kids to dance classes on the top floor of Old Maim (WSU Dance Department.)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3050
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beleive that there is a studio on Michigan just after the rail bridge past the Blvd

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an article on the place Detroit_stylin is referring too.

http://www.theurbanflavor.com/ content/public/default.aspx?id =295

Capoiera Angola Academy is the name.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the same group I posted about before - thanks for the article though!

Have any forumers been?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nellr is on the mark: I'm pretty sure there are capoeira @ the downtown Y. I'm sure those who are teaching the classes there can point you to regular instruction

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The YMCA downtown offers classes if you have a membership. If you find a buddy to sign up, membership is only 35 dollars each a month and the sign up fee is also discounted.

Dove7
Username: Dove7

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tobcat is a good friend of mine. He teaches in Detroit. The last time I saw him, he was teaching at Wayne State University. If you need more info. email me @ Legacy@legacys-photo.com. I come here every blue moon, so it best to email me. I can speak with his wife or his partner Drew.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9105
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back Dove7. I hope school is going well for you?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 949
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had friends from Paris visit Detroit this summer, they brought their 9 year old son, who has been studying capoeira for three years now. He demonstrated (several times actually) and it was amazingly graceful. I had never heard of it before then, but I would recommend it for kids to help their balance and reflexes. It's been very very good for him.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.