Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Opera House garage for games « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What rate is in effect at the Opera House garage for game parking these days? You can use it for games, right?

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,
The last time I used it for a Tiger game the rate was $10. Not sure if they jacked up the prices for the playoffs.

http://www.motopera.org/doh/pa rkingcenter.html

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link. I'll assume their probably pushing the higher end of that range- $25.

Scardetroit
Username: Scardetroit

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$20 when we used that garage last Saturday against the Yankees.

You could always park on COBO's roof for $6 and take the people mover to the Broadway or Grand Circus station and walk a couple blocks.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow you read my mind. Cobo was the inexpensive alternative I had in mind. I may just do that if it's six dollars.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 877
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's $10 across the street in the "YMCA" lot (behind the Cuban Restaraunt)....another block and a half over, Compuware has been merely $5. Save $15 to walk two blocks.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just $5? yeah that is really close to be that cheap. Is that a 24/7 place or do you have to get out by a certain point in the evening?

the reason I'm inquiring about all of this is because the surface lots i.e. around Harmonie Park which I use in the regular season at normally $10 are now up to $25/$30. Imagine how much parking would be if we didn't have this enormous supply.

(Message edited by mackinaw on October 13, 2006)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5892
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or... You could park on the street in front of the "YMCA" lot for free...

I went to about 15 games this year and didn't pay to park once (even one night during the Jazz fest). Never walked more than 5 minutes either.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey AIW, don't give up all the secrets. Where am I going to park when they take my spot?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5893
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, you don't need to park. You can walk from home.

Plus, people will always pay to park, because Detroit is scary and dangerous.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I've been temporarily displaced. I sold my condo to fund the new place. Living by Belle Isle for the time being. I know I should take the bus or a cab.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1001 Woodward garage was only $5. And walking down lower woodward with my tiger gear after the game was a blast. what a scene.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this sounds silly, but the opera house garage is the best looking garage ever.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skipp, you are right! I'm sure a great deal of thought went into the design of the Opera House Garage. It could not have turned out that way by accident. I look forward to retail/coffee house/etc. going into the two story annex along Broadway.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the time being, it appears that you can park in the two story annex along Broadway.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Opera House garage has classic pilasters (flattened low relief columns) on its' exterior. They mirror the classical Broadway and Madison facades, as well as the classical Italian Renaissance interior of the Detroit Opera House.

It is very attractive. And if you do park in the Opera House garage, you are making a donation to the endowment of Michigan Opera Theatre, as well as helping pay of their remaining construction debt. One almost should be able to write that off on their taxes!! (But sadly, no.)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOT has called all opening night subscribers for Saturday's performance of Porgy and Bess and told us that we can reserve a space at the MOT parking structure if it is done no later than Wednesday, with the suggestion to get down there EARLY because of the World Series crowds.
I normally park at the DAC for the operas, but its going to be a real zoo along Madison avenue this Saturday night. But fun!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.