Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Vinyl Fencing, anyone? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone-

I'm looking to put up a vinyl privacy fence and I'd like to shop around and try to get the best price.

Besides the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes, I've only been able to find one other supplier of vinyl fencing.

Does anyone have an idea where I might be able to find this? Could they do the installation for you if you didn't want to do it yourself?

Thanks!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look in the yellow pages for fence companies. There are tons of fencing places that do privacy fencing and use material far better than the crap you can buy at HD and Lowes.

Anchor Fence in Detroit is one that I'd recommend.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beware the vinyl scrappers!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

En Garde!

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just put up a fence (not privacy) however the fence company was great and are used quite a bit in the midtown area. Casey Fence 7660 Dix St, Detroit, 48209 - (313) 841-5290

Call them and see what they have

Remember vinyl is a major off gasser and is a huge contributor to polution. Go for a green product if you can.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 727
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please follow Troy's advice. Vinyl is prohibited by the North Corktown design guidelines for a variety of reasons, the least of which is visual. We took the extra steps to make sure your house was clad in a top of the line earth friendly product. It would be a shame to follow it up by installing vinyl.

Privacy fences actually create more likelihood of being broken into because they provide a place for the criminals to hide. You may want to consider a wooden picket fence or at least a dog earred wooden privacy fence.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Matt but I'm deducting 100 princess points from your total for even considering a vinyl fence.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deduct 100 princess points. I don't want them.

Why did I initially consider vinyl fencing?
* The ones I've seen are attractive. They also do not have plank supports running horizontally, which would have to be installed facing your side of the yard.
* Very long lasting.
* Virtually maintenence free.
* Total privacy.

I'm also going for total privacy because I want to create an oasis in my backyard (and be able to enjoy it without people watching what I'm doing).

Some people have said that putting up a privacy fence would create a nice opportunity for thieves. I can understand their point of view. However, leaving my yard open where people can easily enter would be a nice opportunity, too.

So if someone can suggest an alternative which would be cost effective, low maintenence and offer privacy, I would be inclined to research it.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a redwood latice fence 23 years ago. It's the same on both sides so you don't have an ugly side to look at. 4x4 posts with 1x1's on the sides to make a groove the panel goes into. 2x4 horizontally a foot off the ground, 1x12 under that. Another 2x4 across the top. Maintenance free. Let vines grow on it.

Set Claymores for the low-lifes.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Convex Shadowbox? I had a Western Red Cedar Convex Shadowbox fence installed around my back yard two years ago. I live on a relatively busy corner in Rosedale Park and safety of my kids as well as some privacy without looking like Fort Knox was the reason we had it installed. The fence is 5 1/2 feet tall at the top of the rounded edge and you can see through the fence from an angle. This provided enough visibility for me to feel comfortable with it from a security standpoint as well as not appearing to want to wall myself off from my neighbors.

http://www.hooverfence.com/woo d/shadowbox-convex.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.