Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » HD radio « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone here use High-definition radio . I`m looking at it for work ..
I like to listen to music and cant stand talk radio and in the morning finding good music in detroit is hard to do.
satellite radio isnt an option we cant get a signal in the shop.
I would love to hear the pros and cons of it
Dave

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes you think the content on HD radio is going to be any different from the radio that is already broadcast? HD radio is just the current radio broadcast in a digital format. Just like HD TV. Same stations new broadcast method.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6995
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well thank you Captain Bringdown.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just presenting the facts.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6996
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have Danny for that. You should just smile and nod and post encouraging things.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh sorry, never mind, :-) You should believe all the marketing crap coming out of the current media outlets.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6997
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's better!

Ndavies

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I should have been a little more detailed. Some Detroit radio stations are currently sending out sub channels with extra programming. This may be useful to you. These channels are currently commercial free, but don't expect them to stay that way. These channels are controlled by the same media conglomerates that program the regular channels. Hence my scepticism over us actually getting any improved programming. More of the same is just more of the same crap.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about internet radio? Bringing in your cds/tapes/ipod? Humming to yourself?
:-)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6998
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If the kid calls his grandmama, "Mommy," and calls his mama, "Pam," that kid is going to jail."

-Chris Rock

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing I never had any kids.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thing about HD radio: Much like HDTV, reception is an either/or deal -- you'll either have a usable signal, or no signal at all. There's no such thing as static or snow -- you'll either get it, or you won't.

I have never been able to listen to HD radio, but I have read claims that the signal footprint (area where you can receive a usable signal) is frequently less than what is claimed. If you are listening to a traditional station's digital signal (WWJ, for instance) and you lose the digital signal, the receiver should switch seamlessly to analog, but then you're no better off than you were to begin with. When you're listening to a subchannel, if you lose the signal, you're out of luck.

As always, corrections and clarifications are cheerfully welcomed.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 691
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic....
....Is HD radio broadcast on a sideband in the same way some stations used to send out "muzak" style programing to businesses long ago? And, do you know if the technical end had been discussed on www.mibuzzboard.com ?

The Buzzboard is a Michigan radio/TV discussion board.

doug

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, you'll get better responses to that question on the Buzzboard.

Saabaru
Username: Saabaru

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HD Radio is IBOC (In Band On Channel), unlike DAB in Europe.

It's sent at 10% of the analog signal power, and covers ~85% of the analog coverage area. Coverage area is defined by the FCC. You can see coverage for stations at www.radio-locator.com

Yes, HD Radio is either on or off.

I have HD radio in both my car (Eclipse unit) and at home (Boston Acoustics HD Receptor).

The HD2's are currently commercial free, and will be until at LEAST Jan 1, 2008. Then, depending on consumer demand at that point, the HD Radio Alliance will decide what they will do with the HD2's / HD3's.

For a complete list of stations in any area, look at www.ibiquity.com rather than www.hdraio.com (HDRadio.com is run by the alliance, and does not list stations that are not in the alliance, or AM's).

If you have any other questions about HD Radio, shoot me an email, I will glady tell you anything you would like to know about it.

Jason

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saabaru - interesting handle...do you own (or want) one of each, or couldn't you make up your mind?

Saabaru
Username: Saabaru

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Acutally, I drive a Saab 92x.

It was a joint venture car, setup by GM before they sold their share of Subaru.

It's basically an Impreza WRX, with Saab sheet metal. It has the 2.0l H4, Turbo, AWD.

Jason

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

clever

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been listening to WCSX-HD via the web and it blows away the regular programming. Reminds me of the early FM days.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd still recommend internet radio, if you have the bandwidth to support it: much much broader range of content than you're likely to get from any set of stations defined geographically signal range

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.