Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » The Detroit Club scene? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there even such a thing anymore? i know it's grown and degenerated over the last few years, but i am so far removed from the scene that i don't even know what's around anymore. and my recent experiences with some of the *clubs* downtown have usually been less than stellar, so i can't trust my own judgement as to what might be good and what would just suck.

the reason i am asking is because a friend wants to go to envy this saturday for her birthday. what is the cover? is it true there is no cover for women before a certain time? and what's the music like in there these days?

now before everyone starts pointing me to the archives, google, and whatnot, i've already tried that route and web sites like metro times, detroitclubscene.com and the like and they are of NO HELP. from what i can tell, nothing is up to date and god forbid they should include info like cover prices. besides, i would much rather get first hand info from people who have been there recently.

i'll gladly entertain any other thoughts and info on other clubs as well. thanks!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mrs. rsa went there for part of her bachelorette part not too long ago. if you have enough people, you can sign up for a table, but you must sign up for bottle service. minimum is an $80 1.5 liter bottle of wine. but, this includes cover, so depending on the amount of people going might make it worth it.

i also seem to remember that if you signed up on their mailing list, you could waive the cover charge before a certain time. don't know about regular cover ($10 maybe?) or price for ladies.

elysium has a free cover if you email them before the night you're going. nice atmosphere, but have never been on a club night so that i can vouch for the music.

icon (the old times square) is still open, but i haven't been to it since the transition so i can't vouch for it either.

really, the only dance club that i go to anymore is the basement of oslo. phenominal music, reasonable drink prices, and no cover before 10pm (only $10 afterwards i think).

bleu, apt., altered state are still around but i wouldn't recommend them. those are the clubs for dancing that i'm still aware of, but i haven't been apart of the club scene in quite awhile myself...

if all else fails, there's always city club! :-)

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Olso: actually, rarely the cover price is even ten dollars, many Friday and Saturday night parties are only five dollars. :-) We did an event there last Friday night and I'm happy to say the sound is even better than it was before, and it was stellar begin with. They've really had it together lately. It has been completely re-tuned and the sushi is still phenominal!

There is a pretty comprehensive schedule up on their Myspace site (for some reason, their "real" website seems to have taken a poop.)

http://www.myspace.com/oslowor ld

We'll be doing something else there on Dec. 29, and if it isn't overstepping the bounds of the board, I'd love to let you know. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.