Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Detroit History Slide Show Coming To Shelby Twp Library « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Detroit News, Sept. 24, 2006:

Library slide show to feature Detroit history

The [Shelby Township] public library will host a slide presentation at 10:30 a.m. Saturday[, Sept. 30,] about the history of Detroit.

Arthur Woodford will conduct the presentation based on his book, "The History of Detroit." Coffee will be served at the free program. The library is at 51680 Van Dyke. For more information, call 586-739-7414 Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Fridays and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeehaw! This is perfect for us Detroit fans who really don't want to make that trek to Detroit. I was going to go to Costco and then lunch at Applebees but I guess I'll have to change my plans.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, let's not actually go down to Detroit to see the history first hand. Let's sit in some bland library built on top of what was a historic farm house 20 miles away from where we're talking about so we can be "safe". Afterwards we can discuss whether to go to the TGI Friday's, the Applebee's or the Ruby Tuesday's for desert. It's always so hard since they're totally different and unique restaurants in historic Shelby Twp.

Jimaz

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You make a hammock of my well-intentioned spirits. :-(

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 717
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such nonsense.
I've given talks on Det jazz history outstate, out of the country, in Det, suburbs, etc. WTF is the problem with giving a Det centered talk at a library, regardless of its locale? It's called "spreading the word".
Is Det history valid only to residents?

(Message edited by jimg on September 25, 2006)

Jimaz

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just now returned from viewing the Pleiades rising. The discord between Detroit and her daughters will not outlast the Pleiades. My spirits are restored. :-)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Woodford's book is only about the City of Detroit?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume that Mr. Woodford will be doing his "This is Detroit, 1701-2001" presentation as it is his most recent work.

Details: http://wsupress.wayne.edu/glb/ detroit/woodfordtd.htm

Years ago, he and his dad co-authored a book called "All Our Yesterdays: A Brief History of Detroit."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.