Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Detroit YAY --cinci chapter... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 629
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....all two or three (dday?) of us....meeting to watch Lions v. Bears at BW3 in Rookwood/Hyde Park....it is supposed to be 86 and sunny sunday...not to mention better beer downtown at the Oktoberfest (spaten and erdinger tents), so this is a major sacrifice to huddle indoors and gather around the one 19 inch tv out of 35 actually showing the game while countless Bengals and Browns fans drown us out. If I start muttering "same old Lions" by the end of Q1, I'm outta there. Also--if Shawn Bryson gets more than 3 carries or deflects more than 3 passes of the back of his head, I am also equally outta there.....

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Casey must have had half a beer and split by the 5th penalty.

Just_for_the_halibut
Username: Just_for_the_halibut

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to that BW3...he'd be lucky if he even had beer the way the service was at that place. Awful.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We made it to the third quarter. Needless to say, we'll be spending our fall afternoons doing something more productive than watching the mess called the Lions.

Caseyc

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I demand a refund of those 2+ hours spent on a glorious sunday. I won't be back for that particular brand of torture until a 5 game win streak emerges...(that is to say, chances are high that I may never be back).

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If dday is around, I hear congratulations are in order.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10623
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before....when the question was layed out there:

Who will be good first, the Tigers or the Lions?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who will be good first, the Tigers or the Lions?

Even back in 2003 during the Tigers' losingest season, we all knew the answer to that question: The Tigers.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Casey, no place more "urban" to watch a Sunday worth of games in Cinci? Although I must say, BW3's has pretty good deals on those big draught beers!

Caseyc

Post Number: 633
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahem.....it was most definitely in the city.....albeit 4.5 miles from downtown..... Most other places are just showing the Bengals games. At least we are guaranteed that one set at this venue will have the Lions (as if that is somehow a good thing). In any event, those "big draught beers" were the only reason czar and I stayed as long as we did....

Gambling_man

Post Number: 863
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Casey, is it tough to get the Tigers on TV at the bar? There must be some fans there......

Czar

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Casey and I have researched most of the bars down here and the BW3 is the most reliable place to watch the Lions. Getting the Tigers/Lions on a bar TV down here is difficult. It's an AFC/NL town. As for getting hockey on TV, forget about it.

Supersport

Post Number: 10629
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BW3's just seems....I don't know...so suburban? lol

Czar

Post Number: 3249
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beggars can't be choosers. It's tough enough finding a bar in the city open at 1:00 on a Sunday.

When I first moved here, I lived downtown. The first football Sunday, I walked over to the then burgeoning, now dying Main Street "entertainment district". Of the one or two bars that were open early, none of them had NFL Sunday ticket so you had to watch whatever was on the local Fox/CBS affiliate. I ended up walking across the bridge to Kentucky for most of the 1999 season.

Supersport

Post Number: 10636
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, if you lived in Detroit you wouldn't have that problem. Sure, you may be unemployed, living below the poverty line, pay more to own a car than any other city, deal with undependable bussing, but man, you can always find sports on tv in a bar. :-)

Gambling_man

Post Number: 865
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey? Don't they have the Columbus Bluejackets?

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 851
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit....I didn't see this....will we be getting together this Sunday? Maybe Saturday for college games?

BTW...thanks for the congrats. 4 Nov is big day.

Czar

Post Number: 3250
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I've ever seen a Bluejackets game on in a bar down here. We have a revolving door of minor league hockey teams down here.

Supersport

Post Number: 10640
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar,

I was just trying to recall which one of you was the Cinci lover/Detroit hater when I got an email from Casey. No need to remind me now. :-)

Czar

Post Number: 3251
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Casey is a Detroit hater but he would plead guilty to loving the Queen City.

Caseyc

Post Number: 635
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread needs to die. now.
I'm a cinci and detroit booster (although difficult re the latter because I haven't lived up there in 3+ years)...In fact,I wore my new "Detroit Love" shirt to watch the game. Fat lotta good it did...but thanks to Shawn S. for the shirt. Check 'em out at Pure Detroit.

Dday...email me or czar about another get together some time....

Supersport

Post Number: 10641
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this thread is our only means to keep in touch with our Ohio friends. Where else are you gonna post, the Discuss Detroit side? LMAO!

DDay,

When you gonna be up again, playoffs by chance? I still got mini-you's Tigers cap.

Caseyc

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe we've been outed as living in Cincinnati...this is an outrage. I'm going to write my Senator...with a cc to Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska, as he's really up on this whole internet/series of tube things and the world wide web.....
oh...and caseyc has nothing to do with my real name...nothing at all....

Czar

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just do what the wife and I do when we travel, tell people you're from Northern Kentucky.

Gambling_man

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar, I know it's hard to believe, but the Bluejackets aren't minor league. They are in the NHL..... http://www.bluejackets.com/

Czar

Post Number: 3255
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I know that GM. Just saying the Blue Jackets don't have a big following in Cincinnati. Cincinnati has had teams in the IHL, ECHL and the AHL. I think the Cyclones are the only team currently active.

Dday

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that the Tigers looks to at least be getting a wild card (the magic number is now 4 for that), maybe we should get together for one (or more) of those games........

Just a thought. Discuss

Dday

Post Number: 853
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gambling Man

I work in Miamisburg (just south of Dayton) and the Blue Jackets don't really have a following here, either. Maybe once they give people something to talk about they might. Dayton to Columbus is less than Detroit to Lansing and people in Lansing follow Detroit sports big time. Maybe they just need to catch on. Dayton Columbus Cincinnati are all <100 miles apart from each other

Supersport

Post Number: 10652
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tickets are still available for the KC game next weekend, FYI, in case you guys wanna "keep it real" instead of watch from a BW3's. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.